Why were pokemon gold and silver so melancholic? None of the other games in the series ever gave me that vibe but them

Why were pokemon gold and silver so melancholic? None of the other games in the series ever gave me that vibe but them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4MNAktk9ei8
youtube.com/watch?v=D0j9AOEhzO8
youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM
youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo
youtube.com/watch?v=fbcjFvXGXYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=S1-VyHIx_SY
youtube.com/watch?v=g76W944CXzo
youtube.com/watch?v=NQNxWYEGGOE
youtube.com/watch?v=XySQFCrIh-0
youtube.com/watch?v=m_OdDGAvcW4
youtube.com/watch?v=053CMsCnmHg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6izE6IgflA
youtube.com/watch?v=x7fWDQgCrjU
youtube.com/watch?v=B4u0FAJIvwg
nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/1-Just-Making-The-Last-Train/1-Just-Making-The-Last-Train-225842.html
forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7509.0.html
youtu.be/Er0gbOvHY5k
youtu.be/0ZerrH7rYZU
youtu.be/4Uh4sgtmDMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JQDeML1NlHk
youtube.com/watch?v=h9SFxVFKZw0
youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8
youtube.com/watch?v=Xk5AL4bMFFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because Gen 1 and Gen 2 were the only games made by the original pokemon guy. Gold and Silver were meant to be the very last games in the series. It was taken on by someone else after that.

>that music
>that presentation
>those sprites

It truly is a masterpiece.

Because you return to Kanto and see how so many attractions are closed down, a town is completely gone, your previous player character hasn't bothered returning, gym leaders don't care much about their positions anymore, the police don't bother sending anybody out to track down a missing machine part that resulted in inter-region trade being restricted to a boat that barely even runs. The legendary Pokemon are long gone, dungeons have been bulldozed or sealed up.

Makes sense. Gen 3 onwards don't 'feel' like pokémon games.

You're not wrong but even in Jhoto it had that atmosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=4MNAktk9ei8
youtube.com/watch?v=D0j9AOEhzO8

>Gen 2 games were meant to be the last Pokemon games
>Kanto had a volcano erupt and multiple locations are closed
>locations at night have relaxing color schemes made up of darker shades of blue/purples with soft yellow that elicit a soothing feeling
>the music, period

These are excellent points but I think there is something more to it as well. Heart Gold and Soul Silver had Kanto but they didn't make me feel the same way as the originals did. Maybe it's just because I already knew it was coming though so it wasn't as surprising.

Actually it was more like
>man let's make these games great because people probably won't play these games anymore
>oh shit it sold really good
>alright I would really like to be involved with the anime masuda you are now the new director

Johto was an underdeveloped region. More rural, in the process of modernizing.

Kanto, on the other hand, was a bustling region that fell into decay.

>you will never walk around Goldenrod City at night
why live?

Gen 2 is unironically one of the comfiest games ever.

I think it's specifically because of the night time color pallette. And the slight tune change at night.

Good. I'd rather not get mugged by Team Rocket.

Night time.

youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM

youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo

youtube.com/watch?v=fbcjFvXGXYQ

youtube.com/watch?v=S1-VyHIx_SY

youtube.com/watch?v=g76W944CXzo

The first time I saw day turn to night time in Silver I was fucking amazed.

A pokemon mugging isn't that bad really. They'd just faint your mon at most.

>no Crystal on the 3DS eshop
WHAT THE FUCK NINTENDO

>not having faith in your pokémon to protect your ass

They can't release it in Japan because of the PCC

>The Safari Zone has closed as a result of the warden taking a trip. In Generation II, it is simply inaccessible during normal gameplay while it has been relocated to Johto in Generation IV, with the original area now housing a Pal Park.
>Cerulean Cave has collapsed. In Generation IV, however; it has since been re-excavated.
>Cinnabar Island has been destroyed by an eruption of the volcano, and its Gym has been relocated to the Seafoam Islands.
>In Generation II only, Viridian Forest became drastically smaller and was not a standalone area.
>Mt. Moon has greatly decreased in size due to rock slides.
>The Power Plant has become functional.
>The Pokémon Tower has become a radio tower. The Pokémon graves it housed have been moved to the House of Memories.
>Blue has taken over Viridian Gym since Giovanni's retreat for training and remodeled the Gym to suit his tastes.
>Janine has taken over Fuchsia Gym since her father Koga has been promoted to the Elite Four.
>In Generation II only, the Pewter Museum of Science is closed for renovations.
>The southern portion of Route 23 was removed in Generation II, and the stone maze that was in the northern portion is gone, leaving a simple, straight path. In Generation IV, though this same northern portion exists, it is labeled as a part of Indigo Plateau, meaning that Route 23 no longer exists.
>The Badge checks have been combined into the Pokémon League Reception Gate, instead of being scattered along Route 23.

youtube.com/watch?v=NQNxWYEGGOE

youtube.com/watch?v=XySQFCrIh-0

IT really isn't the same

Things like the music and palettes are a lot different in HGSS.
youtube.com/watch?v=m_OdDGAvcW4
youtube.com/watch?v=053CMsCnmHg
I think the Kanto music in HGSS is a lot more upbeat due to its instrumentation. Nighttime in GSC is also much cooler in tone than in HGSS where they just changed the lighting for the overworld. HGSS are the best remakes in Pokémon but I think they leave a lot to be desired aesthetically. I have an overly-high adoration for Gen 2's aesthetics though so take that for what you will. Morimoto needs to direct more games, he should have been on ORAS since he made the definitive version of Hoenn and showed how much effort he was willing to put into remakes.

>PCC
What's that, friend?

>Getting mugged by niggas with standard issue rattatas

Pokemon Communication Center, it replaced the Goldenrod Pokemon Center in JP Crystal and allowed you to go online via mobile phone service.

They can't implement that on 3DS. Nintendo doesn't like just omitting those sorts of things entirely - see Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon on VC

Shigeki Morimoto should direct every game.

I feel the same way OP but it's actually because it was the last two games my brother and I played together. We were so close back then. Now we never talk.

wait what? source?

They know they can get retards to double dip for it and GSC while they wait. Not putting Crystal on there was the impetus I needed to finally stop being a lazy shit and put Lameboy on my DS flashcart. Shit works like a treat.

I'm gonna call bullshit just because there's tons of VC games with content you can't access due to the change in hardware. Hell I'm surprised they let you do surfing pikachu on Pokemon Yellow.

FRLG were much better remakes than HGSS, because they actually addressed the games flaws while HGSS just kept them in.

Azalea town's them was always so bittersweet to me. I guess it's just realizing it was almost 20 years ago and the the story is nothing more than a memory now which aches the aging soul

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6izE6IgflA

>tfw replay my Silver cart the other day
>Notice how much better the sprites are to 3D models
I forgot how good they look. Pokemon look like they're ready to fuck your shit up, most of the 3D models in gen 6 and 7 look derpy or uninterested.
Not to mention that final battle against Red is perfect
>Red is a generic blank slate as he should be so the users can self insert themselves into the games
>See him at the end the game at the end of a long dungeon filled with dangerous Pokemon
>Just standing there
>You've moved on to a new character but he's still there. The champion, the Pokemon master. He has absolutely nothing to say because you're no longer controlling him
>Fights you with everything he has, then just vanishes when you defeat him

>No other games gave me that vibe
I feel you bro, /vp/ here and GSC and HGSS are the only games i play through repeatedly.

serious answer, because they had the day/night cycle

most kids were playing the game in the afternoon/evening, so you spend the majority of your playtime at night in the game. in order to outdo the previous games, a lot of the cities are larger also. the result is that you get the impression that you're wandering around districts of a big city at night on foot/bike.

the clock also determined all these events, so you did most of the playing knowing you were missing out on stuff, almost like it was a real city and everybody was actually asleep while you wandered around exploring

The Kanto region especially felt off because you were, if you'd played Red and Blue before, a stranger in a familiar place. Arriving in Vermillion City was like arriving home except nobody recognises you and everything's been changed in little ways. The Safari Zone and Lavender Tower are gone. Cinnabar Island is barely there now. And, again, you're just barely a part of it now.

>I'm gonna call bullshit just because there's tons of VC games with content you can't access due to the change in hardware. Hell I'm surprised they let you do surfing pikachu on Pokemon Yellow.
Good example. They give more of a shit about Pokemon.

Why else wouldn't they put Crystal up? Give me your thoughts.

>The Pokémon Tower has become a radio tower. The Pokémon graves it housed have been moved to the House of Memories.

This one always gets me. Who thought of that?

I have never played Gold and Silver and only played a tiny bit of Crystal but your post made the game more interesting.

Like what?

that's pretty shitty

nearly track felt more so calm than anything in RBYG making the entire journey feel reflective
and that difference in tone is clear when comparing some tracks how they sound in silver comparison to red
youtube.com/watch?v=x7fWDQgCrjU
youtube.com/watch?v=B4u0FAJIvwg

especially when you finally get to verimillion the music tells you your not coming here hot after the events of red and blue, your coming to a changed kanto, similar but not entirely the same as you remember it

>Notice how much better the sprites are to 3D models

Gameboy color games had a 10/10 aesthetic and the only console with a better one is the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/1-Just-Making-The-Last-Train/1-Just-Making-The-Last-Train-225842.html

Pokémon Communication Center. In Japan there was an adapter for your Game Boy that let it connect online via cell phone, and the Goldenrod Pokémon Center was replaced with a larger building that let you trade and battle others online as well as access a proto-GTS. You also got the Celebi event and Odd Egg this way in Japan, though they made Odd Egg a regular in-game event in the localization after they put the regular PC in Goldenrod. This is why the Odd Egg doesn't appear in HGSS even though almost everything else from Crystal does.
forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7509.0.html
People have successfully emulated the adapter and we can see how it looked now.
youtu.be/Er0gbOvHY5k
youtu.be/0ZerrH7rYZU
youtu.be/4Uh4sgtmDMQ

>Why were pokemon gold and silver so melancholic? None of the other games in the series ever gave me that vibe but them.
Did you not play BW1 or 2?

The combat in the originals was really buggy and not balanced, frlg fixed that by nature of being gen 3 which means that the pokemon had abilities and new moves, and made the enemy movesets more advanced. They introduced the vs seeker so that trainers weren't permanently defeated like in the originals and added lots of new content on top of that. Gen 2 and HGSS as well both have terrible level scaling issues which HGSS could have fixed but they didn't for some reason, I have played romhacks which have fixed it and made the game 10x better but gamefreak was to lazy to change anything up because they thought they would scare away the nostalgiafags.

>National Park
>Goldenrod City
Stop

He's being retarded, if you actually fact checked you would find that people already uncovered a slot for the icon that would be Crystal on the e-shop.

>all those buildings with no doors

>several ambitious projects to remake gen 2 in gen 2 but with kanto not being gutted into pieces
>none get past 10% progress

This thread is giving me some serious nostalgia and I am this close to downloading an emulator for android and play Crystal until like fucking 4 AM while lying all comfy in bed like in the good old times

Also what rom hacks do you recommend?

Bitch you don't know what percentage their rattata is at.

>Why else wouldn't they put Crystal up? Give me your thoughts.

>They know they can get retards to double dip for it and GSC while they wait.

If it doesn't show up or get announced within six-ish months though I'll eat my hat.

Yeah, people uncover a lot of shit in a lot of things.

pokemon should be a braintrust of unno, kawachimaru, and morimoto

Biggest single thing is probably the music. While most Pokemon games have those upbeat, catchy tunes, GSC has relaxingly slow and sometimes even somber tones instead.

Also, while Kanto and most of the newer Pokemon regions have this more modern feel in them, Johto feels a bit more rustic with all the traditional architecture, ruins etc. around. While it may sound silly to say that it would make the game feel ”melancholic”, it still somehow feels more like it when you compare it to other Pokemon regions.

It had a really nice color palette, something gen3 INSTANTLY fucked up right after. It also fucked up the day/night transition stuff.
Music is pretty nice too.

I'd like to see a palette like that in modern games.

>Return to Kanto
>Start to fight a trainer
>this plays instead of the regular battle theme you've become acustomed to
youtube.com/watch?v=JQDeML1NlHk

The move to Kanto was fucking perfect. Everything felt so similar but different because it's no longer your home region.

Google Satoshi tajiri and find me the actual man. I dare you

I bet the ghosts put up one hell of a fight over the tower and graves being moved.

What was their excuse for not including day/night cycle in gen 3?

I like pokemon prism if your starting to tire of the traditional pokemon formula it has some nice twists that will catch you off guard and a few neat ideas, also based of pokemon crystal so the visuals and music will be familiar for the most part

They were decent games, but aren't in the same league as gold and silver.

>be me
>be just a little guy
>late summer, and the window is open with a slight breeze
>lie on my floor and play Silver on my lime green GBC while Mom makes dinner
>go out and play in the neighborhood with my best friends until the streetlights come on

They had much better gameplay and balancing, which while subjective is more important in my eyes.

just finished sacred gold for the first time. rate my team.

youtube.com/watch?v=h9SFxVFKZw0

Dunno, they don’t really hit the same notes. B/W try to present a somewhat sad story with N, but the world is more colourful, you have your ”friends” constantly coming up to talk to you, the music is mostly more upbeat. When people say that GSC feel melancholic, it’s all about those little things in atmosphere of it.

Pretty neat that there was wireless trading/battling as far back as Gen II.

After gen 2 Pokemon became 1 step forward, 2 steps back for every generation in terms of features.
It's not an excuse but it's how things have been.

Never played Pokemon. Why are there multiple games for the same regions? Don't they all start and play, and end the same?

polished crystal
anniversary crystal

Nobody really knows why. I guess they thought it didn't bring much to the table back then.

maybe it was rushed.
day/night had quite a bit of effort put into it in gen2.
every area had different colors, you had many specific day/night events and pokemon that only show up at night/day time. that shit takes work.

Don't you mean 2 steps forward 1 step back, if you weigh the improvements over what hasn't been carried on the improvements far outway them.

Soundtrack and color scheme, which the remakes fucked up horribly on.

No Umbreon
0/10

>Why are there multiple games for the same regions?
youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8

>thought it didn't bring much to the table
But it was perhaps the biggest new feature in gen 2

The original GBA had a dark screen. Many devs, including Nintendo devs, tried to keep their games bright and colorful so as to be legible on screen. Note how GBA VC games are dimmed.

Lots of the other regions are like giant cities with patches of wild in between sectors, or just having them basically right next to each other. This is especially obvious in Kanto, with the five cities in spitting distance of each other.
Johto however has relatively longer splits in places. To get to the second badge you go through a route by a river and then through a mountain pass. Before you can get the badge you need to go into a deep well, and leaving for the third gym means going through a dark forest. After that things are a bit more connected, but then you have to go through more dark caves or go through ocean waters to reach and island, and then deal with yet more lakes, woods, and mountains.
All the while the game's music is somber, the color scheme gives a feeling of loneliness, and the player feels very isolated in general.

>not naming your Pokemon
Boring/10

Maybe in terms of aesthetics and atmosphere, but the games have plenty of very melancholy areas and tracks. Black City is one of the most depressing cities in any of the main games, and with people coming and going it can feel super lonely. And then you have stuff like the father of the Rich's living alone without his family while this is playing:
youtube.com/watch?v=Xk5AL4bMFFc

This guy knows what was up. Black 2 may not be the best Pokemon game, but its a strong contender.

there are two versions of each game, where each one has different ingame pokemon to encourage trading among players/spending money on both versions, and then there's usually an extra game (crystal to gold/silver, emerald to ruby/sapphire) that's kind of an expansion to the previous one with more features and a retooled region

>Gen 2 in Gen 2
Have you tried Polished Crystal? It adds a lot of OC shit but it also completely restored Kanto down to completely redoing all the routes to be the length of RBY's instead of the shrunk down GSC versions. It also has some of the added Johto areas from HGSS like Route 47-48.

The radio tower was so comfy.

Nostalgiafags.
HGSS are better anyway.

>Muk used Toxic!

Because G/S have a sense of closure and finality. They continue the story of R/B and have you revisit the previous region to see it has changed. Koga has left for the Elite Four and left his daughter in charge of the gym. Cinnabar has been destroyed and Blaine is hiding in a cave. Your rival has become a gym leader. Plot points and characters from R/B get closure in R/S.

Johto itself is a fairly melancholy area with lots of open spaces and the Pokemon designs are rather pastoral, with sheep, cows and owls roaming about. It has a peaceful atmosphere with no edgy designs and the more dangerous-looking Pokemon relegated to the endgame.

At the very end you climb a mountain of challenges and come face-to-face with the Champion, yourself from the previous generation, and defeat him. It's a symbolic victory where you are overcoming and discarding your past self. In this sense, G/S is a coming-of-age game, a farewell to an era. And it was obviously designed as such, as they were meant to be the final games.

Since every subsequent Pokemon game has been designed as a new entry in a series that is meant to continue potentially forever, the sense of continuity/finality is diminished, and you simply get the same thing in different flavors, with some new bells and whistles. Thus these is no emotional impact.

Recently played polished crystal. Even if it's far from complete it does so much right.

My most notable favorites:
>simulated wonder trade in goldenrod
>connecting the ocean between olivine, cianwood, and goldenrod
>tons of cameo fights

Smart. But if there are different pokemon to each game, then all 150 pokemon aren't present in Yellow?

A fine team but boring non names. Still, props for that fish.

Meanwhile I just beat Emerald a few months ago, that game is still such a blast.

Addition of night time.

I didn't like Prism, I wound up dropping it.
It was an example of too much content in a game and a lot of ASM hacks that were used once and never - or rarely used again. Wasn't there like 32 gyms or something?

You play it like that on Drastic?
I have this layout myself.

>Since every subsequent Pokemon game has been designed as a new entry in a series that is meant to continue potentially forever, the sense of continuity/finality is diminished
Ahem

correct, you have to trade for certain ones like meowth and koffing, and you can't get both kabuto and omanyte on the same save file, so you'd need to trade for one of them

Hi 14-year-old!