ITT: video game character designs that got worse as graphics improved

ITT: video game character designs that got worse as graphics improved.

haha

He looks exactly what you'd expect a guy to look like if he aged 10 years but was still a pretty boy.

Did his saddle change to a shell?

yes, also his nose turned into a bowling ball and he only has spikes on his head instead of back/neck

He went from top to bottom
haha

It's called aging, sweatie. It's what people do when they're not dead.

>"Aging"
>still rocking that 90's haircut
kek

Funny, literally every single game makes him worse both looks and personality wise. Gameplay wise it was only a step down from 3 to 4 (although 1 was obviously the best of them all due to the enemies being actually good)

Japanese characters rarely change hairstyles, now that you mention it. Dragon Ball is probably one the exceptions, and no, I'm not talking about temporary transformations, I'm talking about Yamcha, Gohan, Krillin, Vegeta (if you count GT).

>hating on uncle Dante

Really?

>first reply isn't a butthurt DMC3babby
Maybe there's some hope here afterall.

>Cowboy chaps
yeah, really.

>2010's haircut

His facial structure doesn't look even remotely similar, they basically turned him into Ed Skrein

I actually like this cut
And Natalie pulls it with perfection
I just wish it wasnt associated with retards

polygons were a mistake

It says a lot when something pulled "with perfection" still doesn't look any better than a normal one.

4's a step up from 3 in design I'd say.

Doesn't take much to top 3's design.

>pulls it with perfection
what perfection ? still a retard hairstyle

To each their own, just takes the right person to pull it off.

Remember this guy?

I geniunely think DMC1 Dante's pose here is super reflective of how Kamiya viewed Dante and how it differs from how he's viewed now.

DMC3-4 basically made him into a giant goof that acted overly over the top and cool for the sake of it. Kamiya's Dante however feels like it comes from a very earnest place. Yeah, he's cheesy in DMC1, but I don't think Kamiya really set out to make him like that. I think he geniunely felt Dante was a total badass, and that's something I love.

To me Itsuno's Dante has always has this kind of feeling of being extremely tongue in cheek all the time because Itsuno always felt Dante was silly, he simply isn't enough of a manchild like Kamiya.

Dmc2 dante is easily the most badass looking. I love that they ditched the edgy trench coat and made him look clerical like a gunkata bro. Cool hair, cool attitude, dope outfit. Clearly peak dante. Don't let the shit game deceive you.

There are so many cases of this happening.

Kind of off-topic but I wonder why DMC3's Dante looks kind of shitty. Capcom has the potential to do better on him. Even other characters from that game looked better.

You have to be mentally braindead to think left is good

>ditched the edgy trench coat
>edgy
>Whilst also talking about DMC2 Dante
and in it's place, a buttcape. The design is great though, the overly grim face almost ruins it though.

Left is so goofy, that’s why people prefer that one instead.

She looks better though.

Not him but I've never liked it either. Looking at that pic you have
>slim
>slim
>slim
>not slim
He doesn't even look fit anymore. Costume is extra gay too.

He's still wearing a trenchcoat. It's just closed.

Lower poly, worse textures, hair alphas removed, and facial animations are worse.

Quite literally objectively worse.

It looks like a autistic 6 year old threw shapes together in a 3D modelling program

FFX HD's faces are so fucking bad, made the game unplayable for me.

I like his primal fury/extreme had pretty good designs tho.1 has a goat design though too, so I can't really contest you if you feel the later designs don't match up to it.

yeah, the primal fury is not a bad one, but it really doesn't look like Yugo

HD looks like a weird doll, while original looks like a regular girl.

Uncle Dante is way better than 3 Dante though.

Wakka looked way better at least.

The only thing I think is wrong with the DMC4 Dante is the cowboy chaps. Beyond that, the design is good. I like the stubble that he has going on. Makes him look rugged.

I have a similar haircut and I get laid all the time. How's your greasy ponytail user?

I dunno. The only one I feel is a direct upgrade is Auron, the rest looks different in a bad way.

This is some ace projecting. Someone's insecure.

Max Payne 1 is the best game and it has the best Max. Kiryu also looks pretty bad in Yakuza 6 and Kiwmai 2 from what I've seen, but I think he looked better in the PS3 games than in the PS2 ones. He was at his bets in 5 when he was sad and tired Kiryu.

I do think his design has gotten a bit worse overtime, but I don't think it's a drastic decline.

in dmc3 dante literally just got out of the shower with no time to dress up properly

also weren't the dmcs not in chronological order?
i swear i remember dc3 happening before 1 and 2

Chronological, not release. Learn the difference, could safe your life.

The look feel and sound of infamous 2 are a huge turn off to me even though I can tell it's all improved and nicer.

Story goes 3 -> 1 -> 4 ->2

uncle dante a best fuck you all

:^)

>

They also swtiched chad Mercier for virgin Mercer. Why does Capcom love ruining their video games so much?

>That stupid smug
I know it was "the point" but just because he looked like an idiot on purpose doesn't make him good

GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO MAKE OUR OWN

jesus fucking christ dont even remind me

This, they completely destroyed any expression at all.

The worst part? It was completely pointless, they don't get rid of the PS2 limitation of using high-tri models for closeups and low-tri for group shots. So they made all this work where it wasn't necessary, and completely didn't bother where some work would have been at least appreciated.

Fucking dumb.

i have the same cut as re4 leon except faded sides
is it autism?

He could have dressed before leaving the shop, but the point is that he doesn't really care.

Fuck you, underage retard.

>Being that triggered over opinion

Ratchet and Clank thread?

HD fur effects are why mascot platformers should have never survived the 6th gen

>just

She looks better

Are those all really the same character? jesus christ

Ugly ass douchebag haircut. I see your tumblr filename, maybe you should go back.

He looks fine.

At least Ratchet didn't end up as bad as Spyro.

nu-ratchet's fur is stylized at least, his ToD incarnation is pure eye cancer.

she's gorgeous in 6

I'm so glad the old Grizzled Buzzcut McActionhero trend of vidya protagonists died off

This could easily just be John Forge or Alec Mason or whoever the fuck. I don't even know how anyone could care about his design getting "worse"

Glad somebody else said it. No homo, Leon was a great looking character. Probably one of the most refined models I've seen in any game. His new incarnation is an absolute fucking joke. Where's his big nose? His Macaulay Culkin eyes? His pasty skin and crack addict eye sockets? What the fuck did they do to him?

Seriously, what the fuck were they smoking with that?

Not him but are you fucking serious? Left looks awesome. It's a wacky colorful little bug, very charming and funny. Right looks like typical generic trash. Your tastes could not be any worse.

I like them both personally.

lol boobies

This. MP1 Max is overrated. MP2 is better for that hard boiled classic detective look.

He was fine until about 2003. His SA2 incarnation is the best.

Exactly, RE4 Leon looked distinct whereas RE6 is a generic faggy square jawed pretty boy

I liked when she looked more 'mature' rather then her current cutesy look

'97 is perfection, good god. Are there any animes in that style?

Same with most of the Radient Historia characters. Artstyle has gone from distinctive, to generic animu characters

Gorrett is great, actually
>break into place
>run around a steal everything
>guards too busy laughing at how dumb you look to catch you

:/

You are objectively wrong. Cute is justice.

...yes? He's older. It looks good on him.
>Also not liking cowboy gear.

Geralt in 1 looks like Lambert in 3.

DMC4 dante is younger than both 1 and 2 dante.

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

Pretty much all of Resident Evil really.

How can one man be so wrong?

>His SA2 incarnation is the best.
Wrong.

How come the face texture on the left have more life to them?

Cortana from Halo got better and better and reached perfection in Halo 4, despite the game being meh, and then 343 ruined her in Halo 5