The great debate

The great debate.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Controller
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Xbox One

Whats the difference? do you ever look down at the buttons you press?

>putting Y on the left and X on top.
What kind of ass backwards shit is this?

playstation because the buttons dont look like something out of a leapfrog device

snes comes second but the colors are a bit too dull

Nintendo all the way

SNES
It has indentations to easily identify without looking at the controller which buttons are the top ones and which ones are the bottom ones.

>Press X

A distinction without a difference.

Nintendo did it first fucknugget

What the fuck is the one on the right?
I've never heard of an "Overlay" before, when did that console come out?

This, but also, stop using the trash US SNES and use the EU/SFamicom instead.

GameCube

Eh I use a PS4 controller on the PC. I almost prefer A B X Y prompts because I'm so used to XINPUT.
I prefer the PS4 controller. X360 pro isn't bad either, but it's way too much money.

Plus I can use my PS4 controller with any bluetooth, not some piece of shit proprietary dongle.

xD

but then we're right back to the leapfrog thing

6 button Mega Drive/Sega Saturn
6 face buttons > 4 buttons

Lol. Wrong.

The "main" button needs to be either where X or circle is on the dualshock because that's how the base of your thumb lies across. The dreamcast tried to force them the other way with the angle of the grip but it was awkward as hell.

>Nintendo did it first fucknugget

sony did that too, copying nintendo as usual
in japan the circle is the main button, not the X, because in japan the circle mean correct and the cross mean wrong, they have the same funcion as the A and B of the Nintendo console

>nes platformers have you press a for jump
>snes platformers have you press b for jump
defend this.

this

>"X"
it's pronounced "fork"

Some Nintendo game still use A for jumps, like the two Kirby games on the 3DS.

why didn't 6 face buttons become the norm?

None of the above. 6 buttons

yup. literally perfection. For games that you need more buttons for, you should be using KB+M

best /thread

.t octopus

Idiort here, Xbox button layout makes the most sense to me since the "confirm" button is in the same position as the Playstation, and the X button is on the X-axis and Y is on the Y-axis

They are all the same, judging them by their color or symbol is racist/sexist.

As long as it's not a shitbox controller.

>japan has systems that make perfect sense
>us americans have to make it ass backwards because >muh convenience

This desu.

I've only ever had Playstations, but their button scheme is kinda retarded. Until you have ingrained in memory which button is which (mostly a problem for circle/square) its not a good scheme.

Xbox has the right idea with bold colored buttons.

Nintendo is fucking stupid.

Because shoulder buttons are superior to extraneous face buttons

Overlay all the way

You wouldn't consider it ass backwards if you weren't underage. Real gamers are muscle memory-bound to the classic Nintendo layout.

I just don't like the feel of xbox buttons.

My main gripe problem with Playstation is that they swapped circle to mean "cancel" and cross to mean "accept", when the inverse is more logical.

I wish Microsoft had just copied Nintendo's like Sega did.

The inverse is still used in Japan and was used in early PSX titles but straight up preferred X to be Confirm

Blame stupid westerners for not understanding this. Japan had O = Accept and X = Cancel since day one

The symbols don't make sense but thr placement does. X and square are in the same "thumb axis", so pushing one or the other doesn't require a large-scale movement of the whole thumb, just a tilt. Circle usually isn't a back button, mainly triangle and square.

as opposed to... fake gamers?

we don't even know why Sony made that retard decision in the intrernational release of the playstation.
it doesn't make sense, it doesn't have and explanation, it just make the default controller cheme worse.

Snes > xbox >>> dualshit

>Circle usually isn't a back button, mainly triangle and square

Are you kidding? Circle IS the back button, almost every game use it as a back button, even in the playstation's home menu it's used as back button
Do you even play videogames?

They didn't. On the PS1, X was accept and triangle was cancel.
Circle as cancel actually came much later.

i only have playstation consoles and pc controllers, which i have a ps and pc one.
to me the xbox controllers make more sense.
green A to confirm
red B to cancel
blue x
yellow y

I neverunderstood why the square on ps controlers wasn't yellow instead of pink.
and japanese games sometimes use red circle to confirm which i mean o confirm and x deny makes sense, but red confirm and blue deny doesn't. so its also werid to use x to confirm.

If I recall correctly, FF7 had the Japanese setup, but FF8 and later started using X=accept and O=cancel, among other games.

>salty nintenkid with a shit opinion
even the ouya had a better controller

Xbox and playstation gamers
So yes

I remember having a hard time playing on my friend's 360 because I was so used to the Playstation buttons that I legit didn't know what fucking button I had to press when the game told me A, B, X or Y
>press X to whatever
>press A because that's where playstation X is located

>On the PS1, X was accept and triangle was cancel.

PS1 was inconsistent about this.
Some games followed Japanese standard O = Accept, and others decided to use X for some reason.

For reasons still unknown, the latter eventually became the norm in America.

SNES

>In an interview with Teiyu Goto, designer of the original PlayStation Controller, he explained what the symbols mean: The circle and cross represent "yes" and "no," respectively; the triangle symbolizes a point of view and the square is equated to a sheet of paper there to be used to access menus.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Controller

Xbox but with Playstation analog positioning

Literally nothing wrong with this.

Pretty sure Crash was responsible for the US standard.

>The circle and cross represent "yes" and "no," respectively

Thank you for stating the obvious, gaijin-san.

The question is why America inverted this.

nintendo (pre wii) had the best controllers. they were all amazing

because amercia had games first

Irrelevant, America's first controllers did not have the face button layout we are discussing

wrong n64 was shit gamecube was shit and

Reminder: nips read from right to left instead of western left to right

Because X is like ticking a box, i.e. "validating" something. [X] A / [ ] B would mean that I choose answer A.

"O" is like Zero and more suited to cancel something. That's my guess.

Beacuse in the west when we want to confirm something we put an X
>Are you hetero?[ ]
>Are you a fag? [X]

SNES all the way.

Chink

360 easy all sonyfags and retrofags get out

wrong
xbox
playstation
xbox 360
everything else is shit
>the sound of shit taste

the only difference between xbox and playstation is the shapes, the buttons are in the same place, so having the playstation there is pointless

Who says you can't shoulder buttons too?

I would either put a check mark or fill in a bubble

Sure thing my friend. There's no difference except that it's totally different.

I do.
No one wants six face buttons except fightan fags and they already have fight sticks and Hori pads to accommodate them, we're not going to stick little gas pedals and a racing wheel onto the default controller just for drivan fags either

All I know is that Nintendo and Microsoft both lose by default because some idiot decided to use the same buttons but in a different layout

Because the genres that use them died out. The real question is why back paddles like the Xbox elite controller aren't standard yet

>Super Mario Bros
>A to jump and B to run
>Super Mario World
>B to jump and Y to run
why the fuck didn't they just put A and B there in the first place if it's clearly where run and jump should be? with this one move nintendo permanently fucked up cross buttons for everybody forever

??????

apart from the letters becoming shapes, what are the differences between the xbox and playstation face buttons?

Better yet, why didn't the 8 directional became the norm? It's way superior for 2d/isometric.

Maybe it's my inner autism but i can't think of any other controller that has those awful balloon face buttons

thing of beauty right there

.eb dluohs ti sA

xbox buttons are pure garbage

People really don't understand how good this thing was.

Always wondered why nintendo is the only company that doesn't have the "A" button on the bottom.

xbone/sony controller and the US snes.

That nigga was high as fuck or something. The PS buttons aren't some mystery, Circle uses one line, "X" (cross for the fags out there) uses two lines, tri angle uses 3 lines, etc.

Japanese read right to left

XBox 360 and then Dreamcast.
I've always preferred the Playstations for their games though.

OUTTA THE WAY

You can't tell what buttons are on the top and what ones are on the bottom? What the fuck?

My fat fingers disagree

I have fat fingers and it still works, how fat are your fingers?

yes, this. Also I really like the trigger on the n64 controller. If you could combine those somehow it would be perfect

lol