Is this the logical conclusion to video games? Seriously, all jokes aside...

Is this the logical conclusion to video games? Seriously, all jokes aside, something like this will never happen again in our lifetimes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nKsZD9R8ohk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sure it will user, MGS2 wasn't so long ago.

Or you could not be underage and realize that NA was 'decent' but not the holy grail.

You are overreacting

Nah, it was pretty good, but not that good.

Are you kidding? While it nails a lot of thing, the big problem with it is the GAMEPLAY. It's mediocre. How is that the logical conclusion to video games? If you're only going to emphasize the aspects of the game that aren't related to gameplay you may as well say Gone Home is the logical conclusion to video games.

It was good, but the mediocre gameplay holds it back too much

it already happened with MGS2, NieR and more games, fucking automatafags

2b weighs about 328 pounds, and everyone's waifu is a heavyweight champ

this game will never be an essential game to play, especially with MGS2 around.

>Such a terrible disappointment will never happen again in our lifetimes.

Thanks fucking god

This. MGS2 achieves about the same but is a better gameplay experience overall.

glad people are actively pointing out that MGS2 has already been a thing for more than a decade

Good presentation, okay visuals, great music, but downright unsatisfying and mediocre gameplay.
Still enjoyed it.

It's better than MGS2 IMO.

The gameplay is bland and boring. It's not impressive at all.

>something like this will never happen again in our lifetimes

Waifu games are 90% of the Japanese market. Of course it will happen again. And again. And again.

Get fit nigga.

>completely fine=mediocre

Haven't played the game, but what's with all the mgs2 posts?

The games story and characters are inferior to the original. Sad.

So the conclusion to video games is a solid philosophical title with nice atmosphere, but wrapped in a boring, sub-par character action game?

Huh...

I don't mind games with plot and lore and art and shit, but how the fuck does nobody ever talk about the fact that the gameplay in Nier: Automata was like a bag of fucking sand?

>gameplay is bad meme
platinumfags out. for a jrpg, it's one of the best. and im sure Platinum didn't wanna turn something they didn't own into their niche spectacle fighters; they'd be treading on their own toes.
imo the gameplay is near perfect considering what they set out to do.

Fucking this.

What a 3D beat em up?

>MGS2 MGS2 MGS2 MGS2 MGS2
So you're proving that Automata is a modern classic? Cool. Just checking. Because none of you are seriously acting like MGS2 had good gameplay, right? That would just be ironic, now wouldn't it you fucking retards?

9S is cute

That is literally what mediocre is.

"of only moderate quality; not very good"

It is not very good. If you think it is, you need to play more games.

where did I said that MGS2 had good gameplay you stupid piece of shit, I even mentioned the original NieR that was even worse than automata

If you unironically thing Automata's gameplay is better than MGS2's you need to find a neurosurgeon and figure out how to reverse your brain damage.

>Nier: Automata
>JRPG

????
How is anyone supposed to take your opinion seriously when you say shit like that?

With that logic, fucking Metal Gear Solid are first person shooters.

>for a jrpg

Not an excuse. Still shit gameplay.

name a JRPG with better combat that came out in 2017

don't worry I won't know that you used google

Retard. I hate this game but it's a jrpg, just like FFXV

There are more Metal Gears that work as First Person Shooters than there are not, so yes. :)

>JRPG

Would you stop saying that already? Adding some basic bitch tier pseudo-RPG mechanics doesn't turn a game into a JRPG.

Why are you limiting this shit to JRPGs? The premise of the OP is not limited to JRPGs.

>Seriously, all jokes aside, something like this will never happen again in our lifetimes.
What? A game selling less than 1 million copies?

Yakuza 0
P5
Berseria
DQXI
NIOH

Wew that was hard

Another Neogaffer being retarded, nothing surprising.

>2 million
fixed that for you :)

>pentultimate boss is a giant, sentient robot ass
This game knew exactly what it was about

What is the "holy grail" then

>every jrpg need to be turn based newfag meme

>Fucking FFXV standing in as some sort of standard for JRPG classification.

You truly are from another planet, huh?

>turn-based
>beat-em-ups
>character-actions games
Wew that was unfair. Its almost like those games are entirely based around their combat system and have absolutely nothing special otherwise. Haha weird!

>You can change some basic fucking stats on your character.
>Otherwise it's almost entirely a character action game.

LET'S CALL IT A JRPG LOL

>ask for games with better combat
>get response
>hurr thats unfair who cares about combat anyways

Its obvious that automata zealots don't care about gameplay at all. Hence, why would Automata be the logicial conclusion to video games?

>Skyrim isn't wrpg
Fuck off

You got largely btfo, admit it, you're being pathetic otherwise.

What the actual fuck is with all these people thinking MGS2 was good?

It was a pretentious load of horseshit that reads like its writer was literally unaware off the existence of the 'delete' key which tried to pass off well-known social commentary as if it were jarring and deep. The visuals were atrocious. The music was grating. The narrative was a joke. The gameplay was about as fun as removing your fingers with a belt-sander. MGS3 was literally written as a fucking apology for how bad 2 was.

WHY is this popular now?

>"MGS2 is way better"
>MGS2 was critically panned until like 2009
>The creator is so much of a pussy that he tarnishes the entire point of the game because Konami made him do MGS4
Yeah what a classic, guys.

If you tried to draw parrallels between Skyrim and N:A in terms of RPG-ness, you'd be finished in 3 seconds.

No I said JRPGs, learn to read sweetie, okay? :)

Yakuza is not a RPG, Nioh is not an RPG.

>DRAGON QUEST IN 2017
>TALES GAMES BESIDES SYMPHONIA
>DATING SIMULATORS
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA WOW SUCH GREAT GAMEPLAY

literally retarded.

yes it is.
It's an RPG, first and foremost, especially with audience in mind. Think of the design behind that; do you really think people who want to play a JRPG overlap with spectacle fighters? And I'm talking about the Japanese audience, the kind that play Persona, DQ, etc. They would've eliminated their core audience if they made it any more complicated.
As it stands right now, they made a great compromise, which was my main point.

>spectacle fighters
u wot?

If nier a tomato is a JRPG then a hotdog is a sandwich

Lots of people talking about MGS2, but MGS2's themese were quite different.

No other games handled the subject of existencial horror as well as Nier Automata.

It's a masterpiece in that regard, yeah there are flaws in the gameplay, it's still a low budget game. But what it achieves and the brilliance of ending E has to be applauded.

I would still give it game of the year for sure because I'm a sucker for these kind of stories.

It doesn't make sense to limit the scope to JRPGs given OP's question and premise. Kingdom Hearts II has better gameplay than Automata and is every much a JRPG. Should we ignore that it exists? Do you really value story and music THAT MUCH over gameplay?

OP's question doesn't make sense. You're evaluating Nier on traits that aren't unique to games. May as well compare it to a movie or an anime.

>Berseria

Ouch... you can't be serious.

>Is this the logical conclusion to video games? Seriously, all jokes aside, something like this will never happen again in our lifetimes.
highest rated game on steam

>Nioh is not an RPG.
"Nioh is an action role-playing video game developed by Team Ninja for the PlayStation 4."

Granted, you've been BTFO'd countless times in this thread, and this is yet another. If you qualify Nier Auto as a JRPG, by that same logic you should qualify Nioh as a JRPG.

SOMA literally handles existential horror better than Automata.

Disappointed I thought this would be thread talking about 2B's ass, best in video game history.

I fucking hate the open world I always get lost and I don't know where the fuck to go, I can't play for more than 1 hour because it gets extremely boring, please give me some fucking advice instead of calling me a faggot

>something like this will never happen again in our lifetimes.
Nier 1 was 7 years ago but hey you probably don't even know it exists

I don't know why you're replying to me. I was just addressing combat complaints expressed in this thread.

Automata is a tale of grand self-sacrifices that completely fails to land because we never get to know the characters (who are designed intentionally to be devoid of any and all defining traits) well enough to miss them. And they can be restore from back-ups half the time.

Ending E was interesting but also recycled a gimmick from the first Nier which robbed it of potency.

The closest chance we have to topping Automata will be Death Stranding.

>this thread

Ur mom said the same thing about u lol.

I could make an argument that a piece of meat in bread is enough to qualify the hotdog

>Ending E was interesting but also recycled a gimmick from the first Nier
1) thats fucking wrong
2)MGS2 DID NOTHING LIKE THIS?
MGS2 WAS A COMPLETELY ORIGINAL GAME THAT RELIED ON MGS1 IN NO WAYS AT ALL?

>you can be the hero and save the innocent but it will cost you your save file
Yeah, that's the gimmick from Nier.

>especially with audience in mind.
Retarded weebs that never read a book or played a good game in their life?

>Ending E was interesting but also recycled a gimmick from the first Nier which robbed it of potency.
The only "recycled" aspect was deleting your save file, nothing else about it was anything like the ending of the first Nier

>comparing an NPC to a literal human being
No, that's not the gimmick, hence why it actually worked in Automata and not NieR 1.

Yeah I totally care about this tranny NPC, right? I'm not just trying to beat the game and get the ending right? I actually CARE?

But that was the only really interesting part.

I guess Taro fans don't know it but "Extremely hard playable credits sequence" is a Platinum staple. Hell Bayonetta cancels the first credits scroll midway through for a final mission, and THEN has 4 unannounced timed challenge missions that play during the credits, which are not only ranked but can tank your final boss score. Shit, Vanquish ends with a shmup where you shoot an asteroid bearing the photo of every member of the dev team.

So I guess that part of it isn't recycled FROM NIER but it was hardly a unique thing for them to do.

>Yeah I totally care about this tranny NPC, right?
Get fucked dipshit
youtube.com/watch?v=nKsZD9R8ohk

You realize that you're not literally saving a person, right?

>missing the point this hard
It's not about the fact that the credits are playable, it's about the pods gaining consciousness and denying their own programming to save the androids

I can't find joy in anything after completing this masterpiece.
Nothing comes close and I feel this was the peak of human civilization all wrapped up into one game. What i've lived my whole life for, why I incarnated on this earthly realm and now I'm grasping for purpose.

It was made for a Japanese audience in mind.

Cool counter argument

Wow she's angry and has a dick, what an interesting character!
>posts one of the worst, most generic songs from NieR
Sounds about right

Yup, its a videogame!

And that is exactly why I thought the ending was shit.

Throughout the entire game, the Pods showed no signs of gaining conciousness. Ending E just felt like a deus ex that the writers just pulled out of their ass.

Aaand you've never played the game, or have the attention of a brainlet.
Stop posting.

Holy shit you weren't paying ANY attention during the game were you?

It's almost like when MGS2 came out and no-one payed attention. Strange, isn't it? MGS2 is a masterpiece though, right?

>Throughout the entire game, the Pods showed no signs of gaining conciousness.
So you didn't play it, gotcha

Automata has problems with relying on it being a game to make you care about the characters but E is completely different than the first game's save game gimick.
It is also much more than just a repeat of a Platinum credits minigame.

>involve the self sacrifice of players in the success of future players
>help is received from all over the world
>music shifting between languages, emphasizing worldwide cooperation
>entire game is about intergroup conflict, so people around the world coming together despite cultural, language, and ideological barriers to selflessly give up their data so that other people can be helped finish the game

The game was flawed as fuck and Taro needs a fucking editor and more money, but that nigga made a 4th Wall Breaking entirely interactive variant of Evangelion's TV ending, where each play is basically congradulated for giving up their pointless factional divisions for the sake of anonymous acts of kindness.

Im reading shit about how the ending helped people with their depression, gave them enough of a push to keep going, get themselves in the gym and shit, thats worth something.

>anti-NieR posters literally proving that they didn't play the game and have no idea what they are talking about
This game is so fucking good. It's like when eveyrone pirated the game and then complained that they couldn't beat it. Fucking POETRY.

>so fucking good
>but the gameplay itself is mediocre

okay

I guess the fact that they started having "conversations" but I agree.

On the other hand, 80% of the game felt like an asspull. 9S's psychotic break felt like an asspull. Eve's obsession with Adam felt like an asspull. A2's whole character felt like an asspull. Dev & Pop's sacrifice felt like an asspull (albeit one that was sort of a wink at the first Nier).

Every time someone died I struggled to care because I had actually gotten to know them for all of 8 minutes.

There's quite literally nothing wrong with it.

Shitty games with mediocre combat, bland open worlds and pretentious writing will never be made again?
I certainly hope so.

There isn't one, just like real life

Again, mediocre =/= wrong or bad. It's just literally nothing special at all. As a game, it is nothing special. If you look at it as 3D anime, it might be better than average.

>9S's psychotic break felt like an asspull.
>Eve's obsession with Adam felt like an asspull.
You people are genuinely fucking braindead, how the fuck is 20 hours of buildup an asspull?

ITS OBVIOUS WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING TO HAPPEN. HOW IS THAT AN ASSPULL? YOU CAN TELL WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN HALF AN HOUR INTO THE FUCKING GAME.

>9S's psychotic break felt like an asspull.
>comes to realize that everything he's been led to believe about himself, YoRHa, humanity, and the world is a lie, he and all his comrades were literally created in order to be killed, there's actually no real reason for androids to continue to exist at all, and the only other person he cares about gets murdered right before his eyes after which he finds out that her whole job was to kill him over and over when he got too close to the truth
>asspull

Platinum combat doesn't work in a 40 hour game, it just fucking doesn't.
There's a reason why all platinum games are short.
The demo part of the game was fine, but by the end of the game I wanted to fucking kill myself.

Reading this thread pains me, how could so many people miss the mark so much?
I'm not mad though. Different people like different things, what isn't understand is why they feel the need to interject and try to explain so much?