Switch Games Now Playable with GameCube Controller

>Here’s something very neat about Switch’s new firmware update. If you’ve installed the new 4.0.0 update, you can get GameCube controllers to work with the console. You just need the Wii U GameCube Adapter that Nintendo sold back in the day.

>Once you’ve plugged the adapter in, you can pair the GameCube controllers to your Switch in the main menu. On the controller settings page, press L+R as you normally would. And that’s it! It should be working when you’re back on the main menu, and can work with games like Fire Emblem Warriors.

>The only issue is that the GameCube controller doesn’t have a left Z button – there’s only the one Z button on the right, and only has a start button, so you can’t go back to the main menu. But hey: maybe GameCube controller support could be brought back for the eventual Smash Bros. Switch or theoretical GameCube Virtual Console?

nintendoeverything.com/switchs-4-0-0-update-now-allows-for-gamecube-controller-support-with-wii-u-gamecube-adapter/

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MasterMewking/status/922580599759441920
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fake and Gay like Nintendo

>full controller support for gamecube VC

>GameCube Virtual Console will now have support for its intended controller when it drops

I'm itching to play Mario Kart 8 with a real controller now.

You already could've with the Mayflash adapter, and it still is only digital inputs with the analog stick so it's useless.

GC VIRTUAL CONSOLE CONFIRMED

Mayflash Adapter is trash. I've actually seen too many people get their controllers stripped by those things.

Lies
Mayflash is still god like.

I've used it for two years with no issues, its the same thing anyway

Imagine if Nintendo starts producing GC controllers with ZR and ZL, a select button and Gyro

>USB-C to USB-A adapter confirmed to allow wired controllers connecting to the Switch itself
>4-player games with GameCube controllers in tabletop mode
oshit

have one for 2 years, no problem so far

>tabletop mode
Not without a stand you're not

>controllers stripped
What the fuck does this even mean?

You can find something to prop it up on. Although I do actually have a stand.

Someone needs to confirm that wiring in multiple controllers through the adapter actually works, though.

>go to op's link
>its real

holy shit

Definitely getting this for MK8.

GAMECUBE VC CONFIRMED

just tried this myself
the switch classifies it as a USB pro controller, but you aren't able to press minus, ZL, Home, Left Stick, Right Stick, or Capture.
Also, no surprise to me, but the L and R buttons aren't analog

Trying it right now with MK8 Deluxe, works flawlessly

A bunch of USB controllers became usable with the update, so it's not like it was added just for GameCube support. But if they do release a Smash game, it will be GameCube compatible out of the box now, since Smash already dropped the need for analog trigger input.

If GameCube VC actually happens, which I don't think is a sure thing, I wonder what they'll do about the controllers. Most games are fine without the analog input but there are a few major exceptions. So will they re-release the GCN adapter?

Or if they're moving away from VC and more toward a kind of hands-on modified port (like they'll do for the online-capable SNES games), maybe they'll change the games to work around the lack of analog input?

actually scratch that, it IS full analog. anyone know if Odyssey uses the L button?

Where can I buy a good GC controller? I figure all the $10 ones on amazon will feel like chink shit

Nintendo has too many ducking controller options. How am I supposed to know which control method works best for Troll and I, Hmmm?

it uses ZR to crouch

if they do GameCube VC, they'd have to enable analog triggers or GC, otherwise some game simply wouldn't work like F-Zero GX or SSBM to name a few.

Does it work with multiple Gamecube controllers plugged in, or is it like Nintendont where it only works with 1?

Can you use the Wii U pro controller on Switch yet?

I'm sure they'll just tweak the OS to detect the gamecube controller specifically. Seems kinda makeshift right now

that might be a problem

GX would suck without analog, but Melee is only minimally hurt without them. Light shielding is a very niche technique.

Yeah, I'm just saying if that's their solution, I think they'll have to re-release the adapter and advertise it again like they did when Smash 4 came out.

IT WORKS !

yay i can now buy an overpriced adapter in order to use a controller that doesn't have enough buttons, shit sticks and shit d-pad and will never be properly supported. woop woop

>Gamecube VC confirmed

Z reads as ZR.
The buttons that the GC controller can't do are ZL, minus, analog clicks, and obviously motion.

Fucking kikes could have done this last gen, but we had to be good goys and buy pro controllers.

you can use all 4 slots, this is going to be great for bomberman
just make sure it's official, or try ebay for a picture reference of what you're going to get. Also a new in box smash 4 controller is fine since it has a longer cable than American GameCube controllers
The ZL button doesn't work, so if you crouch with ZR, it let's you do that then

No GC VC, because they want to sell the GC mini

This is likely just preparing for Smash Switch

Are you retarded?

Z button?

I've played melee on the classic wii with 4 GC controllers hooked up

Oh, does ZL do anything I meant.

Handheld mode, obviously, since the whole thing's in one neat package when you throw it in the garbage

>because they want to sell the GC mini

won't happen for years

>you can use all 4 slots, this is going to be great for bomberman
Really? Did you test that?

>Gamecube VC confirmed
>when Mario comes this week, I can play it with a real fucking controller
Friday can't come soon enough, anons

through nintendont & a usb hdd obviously

>preparing for Smash 5 which wont be for a few years minimum
Nintendo playing the long con apparently

the guy who discovered it did
twitter.com/MasterMewking/status/922580599759441920

Nope, buttons it uses are
>+
>face buttons
>left stick
>right stick
>ZR
remember that the game is made to be playable with single joycons. You can play it with a Gamecube controller just fine apart from Z probably being uncomfortable to keep pressing.

make a nes/snes/n64 cartridge adapter accessory next

I think he's alluding to the fact that it only worked on sm4sh

NES/SNES Classic got made because they decided to hold off on VC, not the other way around.

Smash is coming

>people seriously think it's not going to be a combined port and deluxe edition of Smash 4 called "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

But I literally just bought the switch pro controller yesterday

If they truly wanted to do something like that they'd announce it already. It's going to be a brand new game and it's going to be more floaty shit.

It's a really good controller, nothing to be regretful about. And you aren't going to be able to play every game with the GCN controller due to missing buttons. And the Pro is wireless.

>they'd announce it already
I seriously doubt that they would announce Smash Bros. when they were spending the entire summer trying to sell their other fighting game franchises

I'm guessing in November there'll be a direct announcing Smash Bros for Switch being an updgraded port with 4 new characters or so for early 2018 (likely April/May) to get people hyped and sell units this Christmas.

And it has gyro, stick clicks, and a second bumper than the Gamecube controller lacks.

Naming is kind of an issue though. "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" makes perfect sense, except what if they plan on releasing Smash 5 on Switch in the future.

>4 new characters
More like between 0 and 2. Ice Climbers and/or one newcomer, max.

I tested this with Metal Slug. It didn't let me use the control stick for some reason

>people seriously think theyre going to port a game already on a handheld they havent abandoned
We never got Melee HD because Sakurai is against porting to that extent. Youre not getting a port of Tr4sh.

Anyone tried this with the mayflash with 4 ports? It only works for me in pc mode which is mapped totally wrong. GC mode does nothing.

If you use GC controllers for players 2 and up how can you turn off the fucking Auto steering options?
You need - for that, right?

arms is 10x better with the gc controller

We'll never get Melee HD because it's an outdated piece of shit that has been improved upon already. Smash 4 however is the "current" Smash game, so it's still possible to port it. Source on any quote that Sakurai is against porting, otherwise you just pulled that out of your ass.

Does this work with generic adapters?
I can't find the official one online.

Guess we'll never find out. Everyones too busy bitching about smash bros now.

>on a handheld they haven't abandoned
user, they're outsourcing all the games that could possibly be construed as "first party" and Pokemon is confirmed to be moving off the system for its next game. It's dead.

Probably depends on the adapter? Saw people saying Mayflash technically works but it only has 8 direction digital input from the sticks.

Can confirm it's working flawlessly with the mayflash adapter

Nintendo fags are just as bad as PCbros when it comes to get excited over outdated, already played games.

full analog on the sticks with the mayflash adapter too

>playing video games you've played before is bad
So are you a normie who plays the latest AAAs and sports game trash for a few months until they release the sequel?

Kinda if you buy an adapter

with magic ns mayflash adapter yes

Fans of every platform do it.

Switch can't run emulated Gamecube games without serious compromises or heavy hacking. Nintendo couldn't even get N64 right with the Wii U and it had more power than the Wii. Not happening.

Nah, they'll have to add someone,

New character? Inkling,
Returning ? Ice Climbers, Wolf, Pichu

They can just port the returning characters over for the most part and Splatoon is a big new franchise to not be included, there has to be something new. If they added someone from say ARMS I'd be impressed but that would actually require them caring

MELEE HD
HERE WE COME

you can just pause the game and toggle it off

ARMS
Splatoon 2
Waifublade 2
The 2 FEW MC because fuck you

sounds naughty

>Switch can't run emulated Gamecube games without serious compromises or heavy hacking
Yes, it can. A stock Tegra X1 can run the disgustingly bad ARM port of Dolphin.

>Nintendo couldn't even get N64 right with the Wii U and it had more power than the Wii
There aren't any performance issues with N64 VC on Wii U, it looks like shit due to bad choices in video output. And everyone agrees that the more recent VC work (and the NES and SNES Classics) by NERD look and feel great, and NERD would obviously be doing the GameCube emulator.

Please shut the fuck up

Iwata announced Super Smash Bros for Wii without ever talking to Sakurai about it beforehand. Iwata told him if he didn't want to work on another game he'd port Melee to Wii with online but Sakurai was fine with it and developed an entire game instead. He undertook a massive project because he didn't want Melee Wii, I feel like he wouldn't just want a Smash 4 Deluxe and would want a crack at Smash 5 within the next couple years. Smash 4 would sell great, but imagine the hype around a Smash 5 for Switch, that would be more of a system seller then "eh, it's just a port"

I wont buy a Switch until it gets its own Smash. Meaning I probably wont get one for 3-4 years.

I see where you're coming from, but consider how Sakurai feels about Smash 4. Regardless of whether you like it better than Melee, it's hard not to see Smash 4 as the culmination of his work in the Smash series. It's in HD, it's on a handheld and a home console, it's got more characters and stages than ever, it's got 8-player battles, it's got online that at least you choose between a few modes including a "serious mode," and it's got some balance between the "casual" Brawl and "hardcore" Melee.

So for me, and I think also for Sakurai, it's really hard to imagine what Smash 5 can bring to the table other than just a few more characters and stages. And if that's all you can do, you're not going to do it. I think whether or not Smash 4 gets ported, Smash 5 is not going to happen for years and years. So in that case, why not port Smash 4 for an early boost in the Switch life cycle? If they make a Smash 5 in the next couple years, it's basically just going to be "Smash 4+" anyway.

Nigga Nintendo figured out N64 emulation on the Wii.

They figured out how to speed hack and package an emulator with each game made to run that specific game.

That's how VC has always worked for every system, yes.

Makes sense actually. If they use Smash 4 as a base game and Sakurai adds an adventure type mode along with new characters and stages I think everyone would be fine with that. I think the reason there's been no word of Smash is because they were pushing hard for the fighting games on the console (SF2, Pokken, Arms) and didn't want the FGC to say fuck those and just wait for smash, even though there probably doing that anyway

Playing isn't bad but you faggots will shell out $60 for a game that came out 10+ years ago like good little goys

>$60 for a game that came out 10+ years ago
Name one.

Odds are Smash 5 wont be done by Sakurai. That and tacking on new modes to Tr4sh is half-assed and he doesnt seem like the kind of person to settle for that.

Skyrim: The Shit Port