Ok I'll accept that it isn't multiple dimensions and is just all one world. Lovecraftian and all that shit...

Ok I'll accept that it isn't multiple dimensions and is just all one world. Lovecraftian and all that shit. But I have one question then.

Let's say it's true and that everything in SH1 is because of Alessa's influence warping the world and turning it into a nightmate. Why does it change right back if you just go back through the door you went into to cause the transition in the first place? Sure this makes sense from a gameplay perspective so that you can double back in case you missed something, but lorewise there's no reason that it keeps ebbing and flowing based on walking through a door. Especially since her power is supposed to be continually growing over the course of the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also, where are all the townspeople? People clearly live there since there's been major construction work in the time between SH1 and 2. Do they all just lock their doors and stay inside when it's foggy?

Stop smoking Twin Perfect's cock and do your own research, whore.

it was all a dream

But it makes no sense. Fucking makes more sense than either theory.

thankfully the plot is not constrained to a logical reality

>Lovecraftian and all that shit.
No, not quite.

>Why does it change right back if you just go back through the door you went into to cause the transition in the first place?
It doesn't.

>Especially since her power is supposed to be continually growing over the course of the game.
Her power doesn't exactly. She's the one trying to STOP the corruption from spreading, locking the "nightmares" into tiny reality bubbles within areas of interest.

>Also, where are all the townspeople?
Removed, altered, or dead.
Same way Cybil and folks could somehow magically follow Harry to places he had to fight through, without much effort (not to mention James and the people in #2), not everything necessarily happens on the same "plane" for everyone. The town itself is practically isolated from the rest of the world during the games.

>Do they all just lock their doors and stay inside when it's foggy?
No, as the fog is not the cause of the problems in town, and not an indicator of things going sour. Nor would it make difference, as the mental projection can take form anywhere, in many ways.

But it makes you ask questions. If this is the real Silent Hill and there's clear signs people still live there, why are the only people Harry/James/Heather meet there ones that either are connected to the plot or are suffering from psychological issues? Aside from the little girl to whom everything seems to appear normal and there's no monsters.

>It doesn't.
You explicitly can make it do that in the school

>You explicitly can make it do that in the school
You can? I assume you're referring to the clock tower? I've actually never once tried backtracking to "normal" school in these 20 years.

Still, the explanation stays the same: the "alternative" school is just the locked out bubble, containing the nightmare corruption of the area. It's sort-of replica of the real deal, which would otherwise replace the normal reality. You can even see a huge Seal Of Metatron in the school's yard when you enter the alt. version.

Same thing happens with the Hospital and its mysterious 4th floor, and in more obscure way with the "Other church".

>why are the only people Harry/James/Heather meet there ones that either are connected to the plot or are suffering from psychological issues?
Because their direct connections to the events.
Harry is in Alessa's protection, as he's needed. There's also some traces of Cheryl still within her.
James is in his own little psi-projection bubble, only occasionally colliding with others like him. There's no big "alpha projection" going on in SH2 any more.
Heather's case is practically the same as Alessa's, except you're now witnessing this phenomenon from first-person view of sort.

>Silent Hill thread
Time for them SH PC Guide pics + DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH2 PC fixes site:
widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

If you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
If SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check and lower the Rendering Resolution setting.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput & PS4 gamepads natively. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
There's OK emu-settings for SH1 in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Try the PGXP emulator for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Never play below Normal difficulty.
-Replaying them all is recommended.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting,
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help.

was waiting for this, now we are oficially in a SH thread bitches

No that's SH4, maybe. It would explain why he can use the holes but to the girl it just looks like he's going into a solid wall. Honestly a lot of SH4 makes sense if it's a dream.

>Because their direct connections to the events.
Yeah but again, there's no one else around? SH2 which takes place years after SH1, shows that shit in the town has changed. The big hole in the ground was filled in for one. It looks like the town is under renovation. I find it hard to believe that everyone could die or be turned into monsters, then more people would ever want to move in and fix the town.

Not to mention, what about the drug problem? Cybil isn't even from SH and apparently it's something nearby towns know about. But how can there be a drug problem if there's no population large enough to create a drug problem?

IT'S THE ALIENS, WEREN'T YOU PAYING ATTENTION

The normal people are the monsters that you're killing because you see them as monsters.

>They look like monsters to you?

>its spooky out there, the radio's dead, and I cant find head nor hair of anyone
>here, take my only means of defense and the thing Im required as a cop to keep at all times

You could just assume that she can't perceive any monsters thus she doesn't need to defend herself.

>Yeah but again, there's no one else around?
Like said: different planes of reality, different perspectives. What you witness via games is usually the perspective of very twisted or otherwise stressed out individuals, pulled into the extreme ends of the phenomenon of Silent Hill.

SH3 has Doughlas say out loud something like "that place went to hell", not literally, but as in that the place has deteriorated during the years. The cult-practices and drug trafficking didn't help the place's imago either.

>big hole in ground was filled in for one
it probably never really "existed", as the town was probably just isolated from the rest of the reality by Alessa herself.

>I find it hard to believe that everyone could die or be turned into monsters
you see quite a bit of puppet nurses and doctors in SH1, plus evidences of sudden attacks on people in the environment. Even SH2 has some evidence of this, even if one could argue that some of the corpses, warning signs and blood paths are "just in James' head" so to say.

But then there's this easy to miss scene... the area of the first ever monster and its victim getting cut off by (police?) tape.

>how can there be a drug problem if there's no population large enough to create a drug problem?
The town USED TO be a blooming holiday resort town. The drug issue was just one of its dark secrets.

Yeah, no.
That's the oldest and most shallow theory there is.

she also has a backup piece, as seen later.

You know after all these years i've never played a silent hill game

What is silent hill? I dont get it.
Seems like it's different per game.

>drug problem

There was no "drug problem". Kauffman was giving white claudia to the cult so they could use it to manipulate people. Lisa Garland, the nurse that took care of Alessa is an example of this. She was helping the cult to mantain Alessa alive only because Kauffman forced her to. Even is she was actually worried by the child, who should be dead by those wounds.

>Yeah but again, there's no one else around?

There's no answer to this in any of the games. In SH1 it's implied that people dissapeared suddenly, probably after the random shit that was going after Cheryl was getting closer to Alessa and the souls being closer made the demon growing inside her gain more strength to make Alessa project hellish thoughts, unconsciously, with her psychic powers

You should stop asking questions and lurking these threads, and just get on playing the games: No point trying to explain details if you have no first-hand experience on them. A lot are explained quite clearly in the games, but many details are sort-of hidden smartly, requiring multiple playthroughs and some brainwork to piece together.

>Like said: different planes of reality, different perspectives.
How is that not alternate realities though if people can be living in the same plane of existence but everyone perceives it differently to the point that there are dangerous monsters to some people (James) but perfectly safe and normal to others (Laura)? That's some U-DO shit

it's ok to ask, the games are easily to misinterpret and we don't need more people going around posting that Alessa wanted to kill everyone and shit

No thanks, I don't like PC gaming and I don't like scary games.

>How is that not alternate realities though if people can be living in the same plane of existence but everyone perceives it differently
This kind of questions ultimately lead to arguments about how to use the different terms and their close synonyms.

But in a nutshell, there's no other "dimension" or "worlds" from where all the bad shit would pour out onto "our planet". Instead, there's powers that alter and corrupt our reality, our planet, in real-time, in twisted ways.
And sometimes these "projections" can be very local, even purely personal.

don't you people understand
THE DOG WAS BEHIND IT ALL ALONG

Your loss. Don't understand why you're even in this thread then.

Still, I know a lot of chickens who've played and loved Silent Hills. Their atmospheric, psychological horror makes them way more approachable than the modern jump-scare gallore trash.

Plus, these are console games by heart anyway.

Laura is an unfinished concept, admitted by the game writters. She's supposed to not see all the weird shit, which might suggest that her innocence could repel some of the weird shit but I dunno... the "different realities" thing was already debunked a million times.

Just ignore Laura

That's why I compared it to U-DO, which runs on Gnosticism
>The Imaginary Number Domain houses the consciousness of every human and all sentient life. The Imaginary Number Domain can be described as the domain of consciousness, or the domain of concepts, or perhaps even the domain of the soul.
>The Real Number Domain houses the humans and life's corresponding physical form. The Real Number Domain is considered to be the domain of substance.

Your mind is in a higher level of existence than your body, and even higher than that is God.

>the "different realities" thing was already debunked a million times.

By the actual writer/director of the series? Because they're the only people whose word I'll accept as more than simple headcanon and even that doesn't really matter because if anything, "Deckard is a replicant"
has shown that the creator's word don't mean shit

>admitted by the game writters
source?

If anything, she's been THE most straightforward and easiest to figure out character since the very beginning. If you can still trust the Book Of Lost Memories this day and age, she's just that: an innocent child, lacking the darkness.

Every theory is valid and no one can change that. It's how death of the author works, an creator's intent has no weight in one's personal interpretation of thematic elements and analysis. Once something is out for public consumption, it's up to the individual to take what they wish from it. So, both the multiverse theory and the one world theory are correct, it just depends on which one you subscribe to.

why are these games enjoyable?

Multiverse theory is wrong though dumbass fucking idiot

What makes you think she has total control? She accidentally unleashed to nightmare to begin with, and isn't exactly able to just make it go away. Her powers are far more limited than you might think. Kaufman says himself that something has gone terribly wrong. So even lorewise, there's no reason why it can't happen anymore than the monsters running around. When it comes to people, the game clearly takes liberties with it, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's plenty of information in 2, 3 and 4 to explain in numerous ways why there are only a handful of people in the town at the time of 1. It's not a big deal in the slightest.

Oldschool survival horror is refreshingly open and even a bit dynamic to play, very non-patronizing in tone. Lots of replay value is a huge olus too.

On top of all that, the OG SH-games have great vusuals, great OSTs, deep and mature plots, and the best kind of horror.
All in all, theyre hugh quality products, with something for everyone.

I don't think you understand how this works. There is no "right or wrong", just different interpretations of the same events. This goes back to even biblical times when Jewish scholars could argue that God did not say what he said, on the grounds of "the Torah isn't in heaven it's on earth, and if he wanted us to only think one thing he would've just said it with no ambiguity"

They start to get boring after a while.

Are there recent titles inspired by the oldschool Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame games? I miss this type of game very much.

I'm going to play Heather's game for the first time soon!

I remember an old commentary in some interview where one of the Team Silent members said something along the lines of

"I wish we had put more thought into her, but it worked as a character" which change a lot the way I used to see her

If you pay attention, it's not like Laura is in the same room with James and Maria, and she can't see Maria. Whenever Laura is there, the horror projections/hallucinations seem to stop.

as far as I know, Team Silent never confirmed if whatever we see in the game is actually becoming real or if they're hallucinations from people with darkness in their hearts. They also never said if everyone is seeing the same thing, or if anyone has their own perception of it.

However, in SH1 we can be sure that the things happening were entirely real. The reality was being twisted.

Nightmare's rules could change from game to game. But I just don't believe that a spiritual power (not as strong as the God being born in SH1 and 3) that can't change actual reality, could be able to create another parallel dimension. It just doesn't sound logical.

My opinion is that Laura is not really well thought as a character in relation to the effect of the changes of the town, the events in SH2 are weak projections caused by a twisted spiritual power, mainly fueled by the darkness in James, Angela and Eddie's consciousness; and Laura just "doesn't see it". That's all the thought they put into it, and we should leave it as that.

It’s based on the very very old literary concept that certain doors could be portals to another worlds. You see it in tons of media. That’s all really. I’m sure someone else could explain it better

>Lovecraftian

Why is that word thrown around so much lately? I don't think it means what people think it means.

We're talking about video game canon, not the veracity of religious doctrine.

We know the people that made Silent Hill. We know that they had specific answers and reasons for the nature of and events in their universe.

That is fine.