How hard is it to make a video game from scratch?

How hard is it to make a video game from scratch?
I have no experience, no art skill, haven't studied programming in a decade, no idea what kind of game I want to make, but lots of people are doing it and I can't say for sure that it's beyond my ability.
Does it only take a lot of time and work, or does it take a certain kind of person from the start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jLqzpLY4DjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you have to ask then it's not for you

Just time and work. Game Maker is stupidly easy and you can figure most shit out that you want to do on the community boards. But if you're looking to make a serious game one day, you should only use it to get a preliminary understanding of game logic and design and plan to drop it after maybe 6 months of steady use.

There's no need to drop gamemaker if it allows him to make the games he wants to. One of my favorite games of all time was made in Gamemaker.

anyone can make a shitty game with the tools available to people right now but making a good game, something that other people will buy requires alot of dedication, or luck

Eh, it's not a long term strategy as far as I'm concerned. You are better off continuously evolving yourself and taking on new technologies consistently.

But if you just want to make small games as a hobby then yeah, it's fine for that.

Just start bro. No one is born with the skills they have.

>I don't know how to make a video game and I'm not driven by autism or raw passion to make one but I guess since everyone else is doing it I might as well try as long as it's easy
Seriously?

>what is natural talent

Well I've got to do *something* with my life and making a video game seems more interesting than my other options.

Gamemaker studio is pretty great. You can get a prototype working in like a day. The issue is finding people to do the art/music. If you don't that you have make stuff that doesn't involve those elements, like x3 games, games like dwarf fortress, or text based games.

intuition and ambition beat talent

What if the idea for a game is so outrageous that no artist would want to make art for it?

It takes a certain type of person, ie, someone not as retarded as you. Of course it isn't hard to make a video game from scratch, you fucking idiot. Anyone can code Pong in five minutes using GameMaker. Ask a real question.

There's gotta be someone, especially if you're paying them.

Where would I go if I wanted to find someone whose into edgy things and gore?

By what metric? A talented artist very well might be effortlessly more creative, and make more appealing art than the most driven dedicated motherfucker on the planet who masters his craft on a technical level.

Depends on the game. A simple pong clone can be made in a day after learning C for about a month or two.

Depends on what kind of game you're making, and what engine you're using (if you are). Someone with zero experience can make a videogame, but they shouldn't start tackling bigger projects until they *get* more experience. Since you're using GM, look into prototyping projects to get game design down, and learn how to structure your code and overall project to get an easy-to-work-with backend. I personally write helper scripts to perform simple stuff to make it easier to come back to a project in a few days, weeks, months, etc.

George orwell once said that true creativity that isn't fleeting and truly represents you as an artist comes from a bothering demon that you can't help but give full attention to. Creativity does not come from desire, but from necessity.

A meme

I mean, the likelihood of a potential player being interested in your game and a potential artist being interested in your game are pretty similar, aren't they? Artists are a weird bunch, and whole groups of them sometimes band together to make high quality indulgences of rare fetishes, awful caricatures of whole races and political viewpoints, rape games and all sorts of other FUN stuff because they know there's an audience and pay in it for them, failing them simply loving the weird stuff they're producing. If it's going to attract players, you can find an artist who'll be happy to be part of it, and if you're just making the game for yourself, you can probably make do with edited sprites and stuff. It sounds like you're a shy, under-confident person who has already convinced them nobody will work with them, and that's bullshit. I believe in you, user.

Ryona communities maybe? Honestly though, go where you think you'd pick up an artist for any other shit and type gore into the search box.

>Well I've got to do *something* with my life
I relate so much with this.

keep at it, user.

How long would it take in GM?

If you know what you're doing a few hours

Natural talent is a meme, hard work overcomes talent the vast majority of the time.

You just got to do it user. You're not going to learn anything unless you do it. This is 2017 user, not 1997. There is a ton of programs out there that are designed for making games, ranging from very easy to learn and use all the way up to complex as fuck. All of these programs have games on Steam too, so your choice in program is always going to be financially viable to a degree.

That being said, making a game is pretty difficult.
Learning how to make one will take you a very long time, as making a game isn't just programming or art, it's a whole ton of areas combined into one program. Someone who is good at making one type of game might be bad at making another type of game.
Anything you make in the first few years will invariably be bad. That's just the way it goes with anything.

If you make it past these few years and try to seriously make a game, the hardest part is just keeping yourself motivated. Almost everyone who attempts to make a game fails to do so because they simply lose motivation and stop. Even a small game can take hundreds to thousands of hours of development time. It's just not a quick process to make a game.

But for now, if you're serious about it just start. You'll get nowhere unless you try.

/thread fpbp

>tfw talentless wageslave
>not interested in much other than video games
>don't want to waste years of my life learning skills only to find out I'm terrible at them and have no future.
>sit around wasting my time anyway playing video games and posting on Sup Forums
Why can't I escape this

Just a multiplier of how fast you learn, problem is talented people go nowhere because they lack determination.

/agdg/ must be full of exceptionally talented people

Do what I'm doing, using something easy to make a crappy but fun little game. I just got into RPGmaker. If you can make fun games with what is basically a digital lego set, then you'll know you have what it takes to make real games.

not every game needs to look like da vinci, just make something somewhat recognizable and you're fine
once you get enough experience to try to sell a game is when you hire a real artist

Like a few hours. Game maker is a meme and should definitely be avoided. Learn a real programming language

HOw is gm2 now? Actually better than 1.4 or not? I wanna buy myself a macbook and don't know if i should get gamemaker2 (or hope for a crack) or godot.

>don't want to waste years of my life learning skills only to find out I'm terrible at them and have no future.
but that's kinda how shit works, user.
You never know if you're going to be good at something unless you put in a lot of effort into learning it.
And hell, even if you find out you're shit at that something, at the very least you will have learned shit that might be useful in other situations. Also you'll learn to put an actual effort into what you're doing.
But desu, I'm in a very similar situation, I just know that it's mostly just a rationalization for not doing shit that scares me.

which 1

probably undertale

What if I have art skills and literally no knowledge about programming how well would game maker work for me? I've been wanting to expand and make something interactive but I'm hesitant.

GM has visual scripting options, most engines do these days.

Personally I'd say avoid Gamemaker 2. Not worth the price difference since it's only an interface upgrade (which I liked, but various sprite editor functionality was actually removed in it).

I'd say wait for the Godot 3.0 beta to drop, which should be soon, and than hop on it. Even 2.0 does a ton of shit better, and at least it is making improvements instead of dragging along the same deadwood for years.

Anyone got any steam sale software recs? Probably nothing, I already use Aseprite. A better 3d animation or UV coloring program than blender would be nice I guess, since for whatever reason I always have huge issues with it's interface.

Fuck I need to go to bed, that's what I get for not resizing the typing window I guess.

Game Maker is OK. I've been working with it for years now and if you want to do a small project in it, you can without much issue. But if you want to do anything outside of the traditional limits of the program, like 3D games or online multiplayer etc., prepare to get buttfucked.

I mean technically you *can* do this in the program:
youtube.com/watch?v=jLqzpLY4DjA

The question is, would you want to?

GM2 is a reskin with a better tileset handling.

All the good ones end in a big list of their friends who they let play test it. You have no friends and thus no one will care.

Took me 4 months to make an arcade mobile game. Spent a few money for art and ui shit though

So just godot?