Look at this cool dude

Look at this cool dude.

You learned the truth about him, right? It's not uncommon that you didn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kLU2JA1XBG8
youtube.com/watch?v=qutUyQqhjdM
youtube.com/watch?v=3G3s2Kcj9Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-AR6org6g
youtube.com/watch?v=dbNlF6rdvcE
youtube.com/watch?v=xZmB4B3PYmk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=kLU2JA1XBG8

Bomberman 64 came out at the exact perfect time that the internet didn't spoil everything.

So there's always one person who never learned about this. They knew about the gold cards, and rainbow palace. But they assumed, logically, it was the clown magician (pic related; this is the MOST reading material there is about him) lording over an area probably loaded with a bunch of custom parts for multiplayer cosmetics. And to most kids that wasn't something that interested them.

I've enraged probably about 7 people with the truth. Usually just by asking them if they ever learned "The truth" with an image of Sirius. They google it and 30 seconds later I see just about the closest thing you'll ever see to a heart ripping in half. In a way it's more jarring than the death of an actual person. It's a special, nostalgic childhood hype being turned inside out.

You truly just cannot make twists like this anymore that can go missed for YEARS. And that makes me sad.

I learned the truth sometime in 2000 I think. My friend got all gold cards and showed me. Was genuinely surprised.

I got the 100 gold cards myself, and assumed it was gonna be something post-credits. Not something that INTERRUPTED what usually happens.

I was like a dog that caught sight of a squirrel. "Wha-huh--wh--WHAT"
"NO. NOOOOOOO."
"FUCK YOU. WHYYYYY"

I had the game for like 5 years at this point. It never even occurred to me that this "friend or foe" shit would ever land back on Foe.

I miss the /m/ designs, tahts why i originally fell in love with the series.

Friend or foe?

I gotta admit I never got to unlock the rainbow place back then.

Dude that shit was brutal, watching him getting vaporized like that. I always thought that "friend or foe" thing wasn't meant literally.

Also, when my friend described all of this to me saying "yeah, and there's a guy named spellmaker in a place called Rainbow Palace" part of me thought it was a joke. It sounded like one of those rumors you hear on the internet about a "secret boss" that never exists. But motherfucker it was real. I tell ya this was the best secret in any video game ever.

I knew about Rainbow Palace because Nintendo Power mentioned it in regard to the 100 gold cards.

But that was IT.

I thought it might have just been a single bonus stage, or just some random place Bomberman goes to after the credits. Had no idea it would be the real last world. I loved how it really challenged your bomb jumping skills. It was a real test of skill. Plus, the music and atmosphere is chill as fuck.

Regulus is just so god damn cool, I wish the masked bombers would make a comeback.

Same, that was one of the reasons I got into it as well.

Does anyone else find it strange that they put spellmaker there in the background? That was just such a weird choice to make.

That's what obscures the twist so perfectly. It has you assuming he's the only content behind the gold cards, if you happened to learn that getting all 100 actually does something. It implies he's a grand secret menace, and not the reality of just being Sirius's 2nd banana.

I want to say he was put there as a kind of hint that there was more than just Altair.

youtube.com/watch?v=qutUyQqhjdM

Yeah that makes sense. Though I either didn't make the connection, or didn't bother reading that far into the manual, because I never really wondered what he was when I was a kid.

I'm also partial to:

youtube.com/watch?v=3G3s2Kcj9Rk

That highway with flying cars that goes off into the sky really captured my imagination.

Idk why but the fish boss here terrified the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Honestly, the music combined with the environment made Black Fortress seem like a utopia to me. Even though Altair did some pretty bad shit, I got the feeling that he took care of his people.

It bums me out that they never really settled on a cohesive aesthetic for Bomberman or his universe. When I think of Bomberman my memories are stretched across so many different styles from installments over the years.

Hell yeah.

The best era was mecha/kamen rider.

Ugh, that game was unsatisfying.

And Rukifellth sucked.

This. The aesthetic in the 64 games was fucking awesome. Also, I kind of dig Bomberman 2 DS's design, if only because it sort of reminds me of the 64 era aesthetic.

I'm talking art style. But I didn't much care for Rukifelth himself either.

Ye I concur.

It's just that goddamn, you knew Sirius smoked this fool in every which way imaginable.

I really wish I could've gotten ahold of Next Attack, or was it Second Attack? I can never remember.

Second Attack.

Title never made sense because Bomberman goes into space of his own volition and falls into a black hole. His planet was not in danger of the threat he faces.

Second Attack. It's different from 64, and not all in good ways. The switch back to cross pattern bombs seems like a kneejerk reaction to classic bomberman fans not liking spherical explosions. Except spheres was smarter design for non-grid gameplay.

Well, at least we could get the spheres in the form of other bomb elements. After I got ice, wind, etc. I pretty much abandoned fire throughout the entire game. Literally everything else is better.

Does that Switch Bomberman game have any skins of the N64 characters

this guy is an asshole ad it made the game amazing for it when you actually found out about it.
I've yet to see a bait and switch in ANY game as good as this.

Unfortunately the cross bombs happened in multiplayer too, so trying to trap people with cross bombs in, say, an open grass field gets to be a bit tedious.

If anyone tried it, the internet would surely ruin it, is the entire problem.

Thanks, I forgot that it went back to the cross pattern, the only thing I really knew about it was that it introduced Pommy and that Regulus came back.

i don't give a shit about whether the internet matters, i'm talking in game itself, its hilariously subtle as to doing that shit and most betrayals of that sort is always in your face in some fucking way and it gets irritating.

It's still worth playing, though. And also has some great music like you'd expect.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-AR6org6g

Does BM64 emulate well?
Last I checked on PJ64 it was awful

No. Just from various Konami games like ZoE, Castlevania, and Silent Hill. Also Goemon.

Yep, I had no issues.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. We were forced to use them in multiplayer. Well, at least there was pumped bombs, if we got the glove.

Oh yeah I agree with that

Word of advice in regards to Pommy... focus on grabbing ONE type of food at a time. Don't just snag everything. He'll never evolve if you grab food just like fire up/bomb up powerups.

You can follow an evolution chart if you want, but I think it's more fun to be spontaneous and climb the chart blind.

What exactly does Pommy do in this game? I'd assume it's different from all the other games featuring Charaboms.

If the game came out today, either one of two things would happen.
>critics complain about the final boss being locked behind collectibles
or
>everyone claiming that the betrayal could be seen coming from a mile away

He'll assist you in fights, albeit infrequently. To be honest, I don't even remember what most of his forms do.

Okay as far as I knew a second player could take control of him and help out outside of bossfights.

...could they? It's been so long and I probably didn't coop any of it myself.

According to the Bomberman wiki entry they can.

I was never able to get all the gold cards as a kid because some of them are really obscure and I had no real way to find help on it.

Found out just three or four years ago about the Rainbow Palace and the truth behind "Friend or Foe" for the first time.

I guess I'll have to believe it then.

Used to do co-op using Pommy, yeah.

I got Knight Pommy.

That was cool.

Why the fuck did this Pommy never come back, he's rad.

Yeah, I played with my brother and we duo'd the game. We just rented it so I don't remember ever beating it, but I remember that little shit evolving according to the food you ate. I think if you only ate meat he got a hammer and his attacks actually damaged the enemies instead of only stunning them, but I never found out what the other evolutions did.

Double Dragon also.

But much worse in my opinion.

The Pokemon knockoff bubble burst. I guess no one saw the need anymore.

>planet bomber
>peaceful planet

They probably couldn't think of an ability to tie to him honestly.

MAD, I assume.

Did you know?

Earth is known to other systems as Planet Uppercut.

>video games literally don't do neat things like this anymore or at least extremely rarely

it feels like everything about video games is all about money. money money money this and that. ripoff DLC, microtransactions lootboxes etc.

we didn't get older. video games actually got worse overall.

I saw it more as a Chao thing.
>Sonic Adventure didn't come out first, did it..?
Oh my yes.

so who is he?

I wish we could've gotten Altair as a recurring villain instead of Mujoe, it's not that I don't like the Hige Hige bandits, but they don't come across as much of a threat.

>Bitch didn't even have a sister

You really do tkae the truth for granted in videogames. I think it's why people went off their nut at Bioshock's twist.

Pommy wasn't just one Pommy though. He was a tree of evolution. I'm sure that's why they never brought him back, all that added work of a dozen or more forms to code.

Chao was already a virtual pet/Digimon knockoff. Sonic Adventure didn't come out before that phenomenon was in full swing.

When the economy itself is waning like it has been, I think this is just a natural side effect.

Maybe when (and if) the economy improves, shit like this won't be so goddamned ubiquitous.

Oh I know he's a tree but they've brought back multiple different Pommys in Generations and Jetters and Tournament had a couple but I've never seen Knight Pommy before today.

That doesn't mean the creators weren't more influenced by Chao than anything else.

I don't see a strong enough tie to Chao over other virtual pets, honestly. Chao wasn't such a big hit that everyone was trying to get on the SEGA bandwagon. No, the trend was already going and chao was lost in the mix of dozens, DOZENS of pet simulators of the era. I assure you, there were a LOT.

I just realized that Second Attack and Hero are two different games.

>I don't see a strong enough tie to Chao over other virtual pets, honestly.
Well then.

To the death it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=dbNlF6rdvcE

YOU WANNA FIGHT ME?

Hero was the first game I owned that I didn't bother trying to beat.

It's a very specific sort of sour memory.

So did anyone here ever get the remote control function in Bomberman MAX to work?

The only thing I remember about Hero is Nitro and the Training Facility, alongside never finishing it.

Is Super R's online dead or did I just play at a bad time tonight?

That's the GBC one right? I'm pretty sure you just had to hit B.

Goddamn nostalgiabombing me at 2AM

>YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!

Swear to god these creators were very well in touch with what it was like to be a little kid. This is PRECISELY what you wanted by the time you got here.

Gameplay of the fight wasn't too great but I'd say that hardly matters.

I should dig up my GBC and try it out...

Also, goddamn. Reading the reviews for the N64 Bomberman games is bumming me out. I guess some things don't change.

I never figured it out. I always thought you beat Altair's shit and left. It fucking blew me away when I learned the truth because I fucking loved the game but never bothered to collect some cards.

I never got all the gold cards, and learned the truth WAY after the fact. Game was confusing and difficult.

This is one of my favorite boss fights of all time, the arena was great you get teamed up with the coolest member of the masked trio and Sirius gets such a huge update to his moveset.

I fucking HATED Orion when I was a kid. That fucking sissy bitch running away and spamming his stupid-ass shockwave and throwing me off the goddamn stage. I can't even describe the joy I felt when I stunned him and threw his ass into the lava.

>Wanted this game for years as a kid
>Never got it
>Years later and I've still never gotten to play past the first stage
I'd download a ROM but my computer just kicked the bucket last week.

There's something about Sirius saving you from himself that's so unwholesome!!

I forgot how cool I thought Sirius was in fourth grade. Really does give off the gundam/transformers vibe.

>All this lore about Bomberman 64
HOLY SHIT. Are the first two games on the Wii U's VC? I know Hero was.

youtube.com/watch?v=xZmB4B3PYmk

You too? Something just felt really off with the game.

Fun game, but lots of nightmare fuel.

I remember him being annoying. But I went to Artemis first. And I know I died to her far more.

As of March, yes.

There was no point in having a "enemy of my enemy" moment really. Most games would just be lazy and have a final showdown against a powered up Sirius

But they just decided to go the extra mile. Second attack didn't do this but the story behind the final boss/es in that game doesn't really allow it.

Strange how Konami jumped on the Wii U train kinda late. Really hoping the Switch gets a N64 VC.

it looks cute tho