So this is a "great" western game Sup Forums has tried to meme as the pinnacle of western design and gameplay

So this is a "great" western game Sup Forums has tried to meme as the pinnacle of western design and gameplay

Other urls found in this thread:

community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/928-prey-interface-customizer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, but it's a solid spiritual successor to the system shock games

its pretty good

What is bad about it?

Yeah, if you consider that 2 was a major disappointment compared to the first, Prey follows that almost perfectly by being a major disappointment compared to 2.

1 fucking melee weapon, jesus christ. How fucking far has the series fallen?

It's a pretty good game and it's cheap now too. Sounds like a good deal OP, what's the problem? Though I do hate how you can't customise the UI the same way like in Dishonored.

it's a very good game that came out at a wrong time
will be remembered as an underrated masterpiece in a few years though

Lots of people enjoyed Prey, OP.

I wasn't really one of them, but I also don't make sad threads about it.

What's hurting you, OP? What's going on?

>remembered as an underrated masterpiece
kek

why are you complaining that the price went down?
do you want to pay full price for games or something?
i never understood the whole "low price means its bad" meme.

What is bad about it?

Pls nigga, big price means it's good. Notice how Call of Duty is always overpriced? That's what I mean, you pay high for quality games.

Not quite "the pinnacle of western design and gameplay" but a really solid game nonetheless. You would be foolish to pass on this offer.

>trash story and characters
>poor weapon variety
>powers are even more broken than 2, with half of them making you a god, and the other half having absolutely no possible use aside from gimmick runs
>terrible enemy variety
>level design is mostly average
The one promising addition to the formula, the nightmare, was an absolute joke that you could kill easily on the first encounter, even on the hardest difficulty. The shotgun is so good that every other weapon is worthless, but that doesn't really matter because they didn't even bother adding an AR.

>OP makes a hate thread to shit on game and expects people to agree with him
>is BTFO'd by other anons and gets mad
kek every time

Low Price does not mean it's a bad game per-se. A lot of really awesome old games are dirt cheap by now. But if a game that was released 1-2 months ago is already

Thats not a fucking bear you liar. I have a 2:2 in zoology, you cant fool me with that low level shit

supposedly there was dlc in the works for this but i guess they cancelled it. oh well.

Explain yourself, that is a full grown mountain gray bear you fuck faggot!

>terrible enemy variety
For me this single Point was what ruined the game for me.
"So I will l fight against These things - and only These things - and I have to use glue to kill them? No thank - pass.

>5 shills
>DUDE OP BTFO MEMEPREY GOOD !
Pathetic.

yes, and you can get it for a really good price, so what's the problem here?

>playing a game that was dumbed down for normies who didn't even buy it
Didn't they datamine this shit and find tons of fun shit like blindness and broken legs that was removed?

Not hardcore enough for the actual audience they were going for, too hardcore for the normies who don't buy anything without an established licence attached. They were doomed from the start, especially with the forced name change that just pissed off hardcore audiences even more.

Why do you find it so incredulous that some people might like a game you dont like?

Must be why Mario and Zelda games never go down in price

Oh right, sorry. Yeah man, such a shit game. Already below $20 lmao it's so clearly a bad game. I'm not pathetic enough to buy cheap games, $60 games only for me.

i enjoyed this game more after turning most the ui garbage off with the interface customizer, they really went overboard.

because he's a sad person.

don't listen to people like him. his opinions have never mattered.

There's an interface customiser? I tried the demo yesterday but didn't find any such thing in the options. Could only customise the in game computer screens.

He'd rather believe the board is filled with shills than children whose first Shock game was Bioshock.

Prey was an absolutely massive fucking mistake

yeah its a community mod because like you said in the actual game is woefully lacking ui options. you can make some of the options dynamic, its pretty handy.
community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/928-prey-interface-customizer/

Are you complaining about actual lack of enemy variety or just that they were all black goo monsters? Because I think the enemy variety was actually pretty good, they had lots of different types with different abilities, there was turrets, mimics who could be anywhere, the bigger humanoid type that shot projectiles, ones who had fire or electrical AOE attacks, the technomancer thing that took control of robots and turrets, mind controlling type who used survivors as slaves and used psycho attacks on you which messed with your controls, then later you had the giant one that randomly spawned and chased you, those nests with the little swarming ones in zero g environments and later on those military robots that want to wipe out everything

For me, it's like they took what they perceived as good from the last decade of fps, molded it into one game, but as it turns out, the cohesion wasn't there. The game didn't know what it wanted to be, the stealth wasn't very good, the combat itself wasn't very good, the story was bland and unsatisfying. Level design was good, but backtracking and respawning monsters became tedious.

Some people point out you can take different paths in the game the way you choose to play it. Use the nerf gun to hit a switch to move past a door, or use the mimic mod and get past it that way. But in the end, you'll just end up using one of those ways, whichever is more convenient to you, so who cares if you can do 10 different things to get past a door.

Fucking sweet. Thanks user, now I'm interested again.

>crosshair isn't centered
AHAHAHA
AHAHAH YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING RETARDS
shitty console port, nothing else lol

>pinnacle
nobody claimed that, and you can blame its flopping on bethesda marketing department
all of their aside from skyrim and fallout underperformed

For all its flaws, at least the only real backtracking anyone had to do in SS2 was to pick up fucking chemicals a couple of times. Prey is fucking filled with retreading boring areas, and the "shortcuts" you unlock don't do anything to alleviate this. You're constantly forced to replay the same areas with minor changes, and this is on the main fucking story.

I feel like a more interesting way to handle the monsters would be to ignore conventional healthbars. Make regular bullets useless, and force players to use the environment around them to take out enemies. Maybe there are lots of gas cans on the station you can lure enemies past, and give shit players the option to just freeze their opponent with a space fire extinguisher.

Everything about the weapon design was a fucking mess, which is why the combat sucked so hard.

System Shock 1, 2 and even Bioshock 1 and 2 pull down their pants collectively and shit all over this blunder.

>mentioning System and Bio in the same sentence
So how far did you get in 1, the first room?

>game is on sale so its bad

Weapon design, as well as enemy variety and how the enemies played. I played on nightmare but, it was generally black goo monsters teleporting into my face, hitting me or goo monsters using large AoE attacks which are pretty much impossible to dodge considering the game is mostly corridors. So there's really no skill required to fight the monsters either, it's mostly just managing health while killing bullet sponges. Then there's the larger goo monsters, but they're generally just easy to ignore or fight if you can be assed.

The mimics were a nice idea that became dull 5 minutes in. I wonder if anyone will make a mod to remove all those fucking retarded musical stings that constantly give them away, I really hate when games are blatantly designed for consoles because they know half their audience can't turn around fast enough.

Then they give you the scope that lets you instantly detect them in every room, you really have to wonder if anyone on the design team had a fucking clue.

Finished it multiple times. System Shock 1 and 2 are my favorite games.

Very good game. Could have used a few more guns!

the interface mod can turn off the enemy audio cues

But even then, you just whack everything suspicious on the head and then you're good. There should've been Giant Mimics capable of mimicking a part of a wall or a larger structure, for the sake of enemy progression. Greater mimics never really felt like a step up except for them being harder to kill.
But yes, games designed for consoles that play like that, ESPECIALLY when they're fps are terrible.

I wonder what the dynamic would have been like if mimics could stay hidden after being hit once. No health pop-up, no confirmation you just smacked a mimic, it just sits there on the desk and waits for you to turn away.

That sounds like the: blue enemies are recolred red and deal fire instead of ice damage-trope.

>NPCs try to guilt trip you into not using typhon neuromods
>there is literally no downside to using them, you still keep your humanity and you don't get to have any negative side effects (nightmares and shit, having npcs treat you differently)

Eh I dont know. There's several other problems with the mimics now that I think about it. They were often just running around aimlessly, they were often put in obvious or easy to deal with situations. In comparison, Head Crabs were in Half Life often put into a corner in a dark vent, and when they saw you they would jump scare the shit out of you. Mimics generally just ran around you and would sometimes stop to smack you on the ass, or run over an transform into a trashbin while you were looking at it. So they'd need to improve the behaviourisms of the mimics themselves.