How come no shooter has been able to top this? How did the same studio that made this masterpiece, make WII:TNC?

How come no shooter has been able to top this? How did the same studio that made this masterpiece, make WII:TNC?

>How did the same studio that made this masterpiece, make WII:TNC?

they didnt. id made nudoom whole machinegames made wolfenstein

But it's not even better than the original Doom

nothing ever will be

except brutal doom of course

that is the original doom

It is if you're not a nostalgiafag.

It's not about nostalgia, the new Doom is just an arena battle after another arena battle. And that is way more boring than the original game.

New Doom has you exploring levels to look for keys and hidden switches while fighting hordes of demons. It's the same thing.

You almost never do any exploring while fighting demons. You do the exploring or an obligatory jumping "puzzle" (jump at the green light), and then you end up in a combat arena.

Except there are plenty of encounters outside of the arenas.

Not after the first levels of the game.

>Masterpiece
no

And Doom 2 is the best one

Brutal Doom and Doom 3.

Brutal Doom is more fun in a purely gameplay sense.

Doom 3 was more immersive and interesting to experience.

Tbh exploration in old Doom was pretty tedious most of the time, with good old running around like an idiot for 10 minutes after most of the enemies were killed. I am not a fan of restrictive nature of the arenas in new Doom, but must say that clearing rooms was the fun part in old games anyway for me.

the new order is better

There really aren't. Ones that stand out are one or two times you find a hallway with Pinky Demons, walking along a ruined tramway or something that has imps on it and if you explore up higher, you run into a room with some zombie soldiers that has some armor secret, and then once or twice in Hell with Cacodemons bothering you while you jump between platforms.

>Brutal Doom is more fun in a purely gameplay sense.
Oh boy here we go again

You got a point, but I still prefer the old Doom over the new one. I thing we can also agree that the new Doom is far away from being a masterpiece.

This so much I always try new gameplay mods in ultimate doom and haven't even bothered to complete doom 2 but have completed ultimate doom numerous times, but level packs in doom 2 are sweet tho, also doom 64 is one hell of a tedious mess

>brutal doom

>reloading
>iron sight aiming
>more fun

no

Brutal Doom is a neat novelty but the gimmick gets old quickly. It's not as good as the originals or even 2016 Doom.
Doom 3 is an okay horror shooter that was notable largely for the graphics and excellent sound design. It's the weakest game in the series.

My favorite was the surprise hell knight jumping up the steps in the Foundry. The game needed more of that.

>doom 64 is one hell of a tedious mess
64 has the best level design in the series.

Just play classic mode.

>tfw mouselook doesnt work properly on doom 64 ex with windows 10

fuck im pissed i dont want to play a doom game with a gamepad

I've seen a let's play. Level design is shit and cluttered with out of place debris and boxes and crates. Enemy art design is fuck-shit. Gameplay: You fight one enemy at a time (basically) and you restore your health after every foe with the pinata.

to me it seems like utter shit. Big kudos to id to have a fast moving and agile protagonist but we are still far to how a doom game is supposed to be

New Doom felt way too predictable for me.
Its probably that I'm spoiled by high level fps multiplayer in CS and Quake.
Just kinda going through the motions.

Is there a mod that implements KB+M to Doom 1&2 ? I remember playing it with keyboard only ages ago

>I've never played the game but still feel entitled to an opinion on it
Typical.

THEN WHY NOT JUST PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME?!

arena design is better in doom 2 and with way more enemies to fight at the same time. Some of the wads are pure excellence in this type of game play.

Doom 2016 has way too enemy to fight at once and you regenerate health, removing the health management aspect of the game

Brutal Doom is more fun.

>>with good old running around like an idiot for 10 minutes after most of the enemies were killed

maybe in the worst designed wads I don't think doom 1 + 2 levels were disorienting... maybe you have less than 100 iq or something

/thread

If you stayed on a Doom level for 10 minutes you are frankly retarded.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>doom
>good
>ever
lol

so if I play it, the stuff I mentioned disappears? Dude I know what I saw. One enemy at a time and stupid fucking art design for monsters and pinata regeneration

I liked the speed frankly but all the rest is lacking. The game play doesn't seem as remotely interesting as doom2 (with or withour brutal doom, with or without wads). For me it's a huge let down. This can be no more than a mediocre time waster. A big step up from the rest but still there is a long way to go back to how fpses are supposed to be

Maybe don't watch someone playing on lowest difficulty setting

>Its probably that I'm spoiled by high level fps multiplayer in CS and Quake.
Probably. New Doom is a bit too easy. I was able to get through Ultra Violence, on PS4 no less, with only a few trouble spots. I could never get through the entirety of Ultra Violence in the original games and I'm dogshit at anything multiplayer. If you're playing Quake at a high level I'd imagine you shredded through the game pretty easily.

so at higher difficulties you mean you fight more than a handful of mosnters at a time, the art design improves, the boxes scattered around disappear, and the pinata regeneration is disabled?

Ultra Violence is baby mode now. The game begins with Nightmare.

so is Ultra-Violence the canon doom difficulty?

>thinks id Software and Machine Games are the same studio
Jesus Christ, this fucking place.

Yeah I thought Nightmare was locked at first because of the different text color. I tried it on a second playthrough and I couldn't adjust to the imps leading their shots on that mode. It completely changed how I had to maneuver and since I had already completed the game I didn't want to bother. I have too much shit in my backlog to be replaying stuff right now.

>boxes scattered around
The only boxes in the environments are there to be used to vault to higher areas.

>>Having a backlog

dude nobody is pointing a gun at you and forcing to play all videogames. Are you retarded?

>more than a handful of mosnters at a time
That is true even on low difficulty
>art design
Literally nothing wrong with it
> the boxes scattered around disappear
No, boxes are literally the only thing wrong with this game. What was the Lead Box Scattering Designer thinking.
>Pinata regeneration
This fucking triggers me so much
They found a way to make it so you are rewarded for using the fast movement mechanics instead of hiding behind a corner trading potshots.
And people fucking complain about it

>But muh nuDoom!

The one enemy at a time shit is blatantly untrue. There's massive rooms filled with enemies but you didn't fucking notice because you're watching a Let's Play and there's a 99% chance that player is smart enough to isolate the enemies. If you charge head-first into three Mancubi and a fucking Baron, you are going to get raped. That's why you only ever seen them being fought one-on-one.

id didn't make TNC, dumbshit

Actually somebody is pointing a gun at me right now and in fact making me play all videogames.

>implying
I have only around 6 months left to finish my backlog before my family gets slaughtered. Get your privileged, non-backlog cis self out of here bigot.

Except in the original doom enemies are everywhere.

In Nu-Doom you walk into a large room like "oh gee I wonder what will happen here" and the doors lock and you kill a bunch of spawning enemies. Rinse repeat.

>people thinking ID made ANY Wolf game other than the original and the Spear of Destiny expansion

Everyone plays on source ports nowadays. There's a retro FPS/Doom general on /vr/ with a handy guide.

Old Doom had lots of ambushes, too.

carmack

This is the level of this board. A bunch of underage niggers who can't tell the difference between iD Software and Machines Games.
Also, THNC was pretty good, not as good as D44M, but certainly a pretty fun game.

There's plenty of times where you come around the corner and there's beams and rockets already flying at you. Yeah, there's a lot of spawn arenas, but there's just as many sections with enemies already wandering around waiting to be killed, just like in the original.

For most of the arenas you don't realize you are entering one until the enemies start showing up. Very few, such as the BFG lab one, are obvious before that.

Because they lacked RIP AND TEAR

First post best post.

Tbh I thought id was dead after the original guys left and Bethesda bought them up. NuDoom is honestly pretty good on the Switch. Like mixing The Ultimate Doom + Doom 3 aesthetics. I like how straight forward it is and the the sound design really helps with the atmosphere when in game or loading or menus.

For NuDoom Switch owners change these options:

Difficulty of your choice

>Game
Doom classic weapon pose ON
Crosshair style NONE

>Controller
H sensitivity 53% (or your choice)
V sensitivity 32% (or your choice)
Look smoothing 90% (or your choice)

>Audio
Subtitles off

>Video
Motion Blur High

They have the same publisher but the actual development teams are a few oceans apart, DOOM was developed by id while TNC was developed by a bunch of faggot swedes at MachineGames.

Would you Sup Forums?

nuDoom is the definition of a 7/10 game

i would like a doom gal if she was really attractive but not sexualised, as in no skimpy armour or any of that shit.

i find an attractive woman in full functioning armour more aesthetically pleasing than the other

Fuck off faggot. Your opinion doesn't matter.
>so if I play it, the stuff I mentioned disappears?
No, but you're not allowed to give your opinion on the gameplay of a game you haven't played. Back to r/gaming.

I don't remember ever having to wander around much and I was a really young kid when I played it. I've never played fan made wads though.