All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCR0CmJ7NU
https://mega.nz/#!5YBjBC7Y!W8HC8kAMXfKEngsZZZ5qpBiWiXVlvhVWEtiD0uV6ja8
http://trainwiz.tumblr.com/tagged/Underspace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aiZeGFOVOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNfRcNPzE4
Jack Campbell
Jack Campbell

Let's be honest though, it is pretty good.

I'm just shocked that more space games haven't learned from Freelancer. Like, for example, make space INTERESTING. It may not be a realistic portrayal of space, but exploring nebula and wormholes was legit fun, tense, and interesting. Few things stand out to me in exploring the worlds of most games as was navigating beacon to beacon through the ice debris field to the ruined station in Liberty space.

Hell, remember how cool it was to find an unmarked wormhole?

Jaxson Scott
Jaxson Scott

Let's be honest though, it is pretty good.
If you break it down though it's not though. It's so basic and there's so little content.

Aaron Howard
Aaron Howard

looks like everspace

Joshua Hughes
Joshua Hughes

Everspace looks like Freelancer.

Cooper Carter
Cooper Carter

I can break down any game into parts that are basic and seem to have little content. I don't find that reasoning compelling at all.

It's a pretty good game.

Blake Garcia
Blake Garcia

you told no lies, the truth fucking hurts.

Camden Gomez
Camden Gomez

But it's a big flaw with Freelancer. It's basically a ubisoft tier open world before the ubisoft tier open world.

Jaxon Moore
Jaxon Moore

thats every single space sim ever made. freelancer's world actually has more unique, hand-placed shit in it then pretty much any other space sim. which as OP states is sad since its not even that good

Connor Cox
Connor Cox

Are you telling me there's no exploratory space sim out there that at least tries to give more content?

Justin Green
Justin Green

hand-crafted content? no, freelancer literally has the best exploration for that.

the other type of exploration is space sims with procedural generation where you're in an accurate scale galaxy, but youre just going to see the same shit over and over.

Anthony Nguyen
Anthony Nguyen

To be fair, the only real attempts since have been elite dangwrous and star citizen.

Eve scratched the itch for me for quite a while though but that was more atmosphere than anything else.

Bentley Flores
Bentley Flores

elite dangerous
an attempt

Austin Long
Austin Long

The only 'real' attempts since? Are you serious?
X2
Evochron
X3
Starpoint Gemini
Rebirth
Rebel Galaxy
Everspace
Elite
NMS

Levi Ramirez
Levi Ramirez

but is everspace good? was tempted to buy it this past sale

Jackson Cruz
Jackson Cruz

We don't talk about Rebirth

Jonathan Turner
Jonathan Turner

only good space games are homeworld and ftl

Carter Butler
Carter Butler

It's a roguelike, take that as you will

Austin Reyes
Austin Reyes

talk about what?

David Price
David Price

gated content
each sector is lacks content in the y-direction
Apart from those it was pretty fucking good and the first issue can be mostly solved by modding.
I do wish there were some variety in the universe so that each playthrough wouldn't feel like you were going through the same thing.

Jacob Brown
Jacob Brown

I dunno, shame it's been so long since an X game came out.

Blake Peterson
Blake Peterson

each sector is lacks content in the y-direction
Not a flaw desu

Tyler Morris
Tyler Morris

The sectors feel like flat disks after discovering this.

Tyler Turner
Tyler Turner

A little bit of variation would be okay, but it makes things feel more consistent.

Blake Lopez
Blake Lopez

Rebel Galaxy
no z-axis because they wanted ebin broadside battles all the time
What's the point of setting it in space then? I'd have been buttblasted if I didn't get it for free

Also don't forget Darkstar One and Tachyon: The Fringe (starring Bruce Campbell as space Bruce Campbell)

Easton Cruz
Easton Cruz

take Black Flag
remove everything that makes Black Flag fun
for some reason people praised it

Also, Darkstar One is pretty terrible, even if I have a soft spot for it.

Cameron Scott
Cameron Scott

This right here. So many of these games seem to forget that the point of space games is space and instead focus on some useless other feature

Kevin Miller
Kevin Miller

What is so bad about darkstar one anyway

Jason Robinson
Jason Robinson

It's just very very very repetitive and dosn't really offer anything new. It's basically just Freelancer with less content.

It's not unplayable or anything, it's a very functional game. Just a very generic and boring one.

Anthony Wilson
Anthony Wilson

Freelancer with less content
What were they thinking...

Joseph Myers
Joseph Myers

It may not be a realistic portrayal of space, but exploring nebula and wormholes was legit fun, tense, and interesting

One of my biggest gripes with the game is only getting to explore those fantastical sectors at the end when there's nothing to really do at that point. Needed either more content to make up for it or more freedom early on.

One playable ship. Yes you can upgrade it but you'll get bored playing with it eventually

Jaxon Brown
Jaxon Brown

best recent space game is infinite warfare

Tyler Walker
Tyler Walker

The best space game ever made is still X3: Albion Prelude Freelancer is still pretty good though

Noah Hall
Noah Hall

any x game the best space game
No

Jordan Evans
Jordan Evans

but they have user

its called star citizen

Brayden Foster
Brayden Foster

It's probably why NMS was so hyped up. The idea of exploring beautiful alien worlds.

Leo Taylor
Leo Taylor

You do know that there is actually content in the y direction in many sectors, right?

Grayson Jackson
Grayson Jackson

Only in /v/lancer and mods user.

Josiah Walker
Josiah Walker

I loved it as a kid and still like it to this day, but lets not kid ourselves.
We got a shadow of Freelancer hypothetical self (for good reason, due to Microsoft controlling Chris Robert's autism).

Nathaniel Rogers
Nathaniel Rogers

Anyone ever try Independence War 2? Got in on a recommendation a while back and its a great space sim
atmosphere
open world though story driven
great flight model
role of a pirate with home base and all
raid convoys, have pirate buddies collect the loot and bring back to base

Not very far into the game but its damn good fun.

Easton Russell
Easton Russell

Got this for free at the opening of a new amazon logistic center in my country. My Pc could play it.

Xavier Wright
Xavier Wright

Because Freelancer was one of the rare examples of publisher meddling resulting in a positive outcome.

Wyatt Phillips
Wyatt Phillips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCR0CmJ7NU
mfw star citizen might actually pull it off

Caleb Foster
Caleb Foster

Let's face it
If Freelancer was released today it'd get 10s across the board and be stupid popular.

Owen Flores
Owen Flores

Well it would be really hard to fill that much space and ultimately the experience would be more tedious.
The best aspect of exploration in this game (for me) was the feeling of finding a new secret wormhole and having this feeling of hostility and wonder. They really fucked up though, the coolest shit you could find were insanely OP guns, not much more. No lore, no special ships, no artifacts, no special planets.
Mods improve this though.

Jeremiah Cox
Jeremiah Cox

No lore, no special ships, no artifacts, no special planets.

You could find at least two of those things. Did you never find the Outcast homeworld, the monkey planet, or the remains of the mexican sleeper ship?

Brody Cruz
Brody Cruz

It's a wonder MS haven't looked at redoing the Freelancer sequel in development for the 360 because most of the Digital Anvil team still works at MS (The director of Freelancer after Roberts stepped down works at Turn 10) and the genre is popular again.

Justin Miller
Justin Miller

thinking about getting avorion, any of yall play it yet?

Jacob Reed
Jacob Reed

Have to second this. The only thing Korean grindfest attempted was boredom sim. If it wasnt so boring you could actually sit for an hour to find out how boring it is instead of sliding off your chair and getting a concussion.

Jordan Thompson
Jordan Thompson

There keep being rumors that they want a console space sim, but who knows.

Kevin Lee
Kevin Lee

I'm for long open spaces in open world games and even Elite goes too fucking far.

James Moore
James Moore

The sleeper ship was the ebst part. The "special ships" looked dull though and were only good for their stats. More galaxies like that one would have been awesome though, exactly the kind of exploration I like.
Didn't find the monkey planet though, was it in one of those alien infested galaxies? I stopped looking into them, because I never found anything useful there.

Wyatt Evans
Wyatt Evans

It was in the two secret unknown systems yeah. You could get nomad weapons there.

Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper

umm yes sweetie

Charles Martin
Charles Martin

I will admit the mechanics of flying were fun. Especially viper mk3 with its throaty growl its just a shame that the everything else in korean gridfest is such shit.
I liked the sectors in freelancer. I liked the exploration. Wasnt impressed with piloting but at the time it was k.

Evan Price
Evan Price

I appreciate it a lot more after playing the wreck that is Star Citizen

Elijah Wood
Elijah Wood

a space game with bad space
a good space game
No

Tyler Reed
Tyler Reed

Dirty shame about star citizen. The idea of playable large ships and smaller craft hitching a ride could be fun.

Brayden Powell
Brayden Powell

I've lost interest in it now that they seem more obsessed with the planetside aspect of things. when the space aspect is still so bad.
awful visibility
ships control like shit and are slow in a boring way
So many little QoL things that go wrong that kill the entire experience.

Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

I tried it on a free weekend. Couldnt figure out how to get a suit and fly. It still interests me but not in a giving them money before a completed product kind of way.

Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

why release anything when you're coming up on 150 million dollars feeding people breadcrumbs

Gabriel Watson
Gabriel Watson

They release things, it's just always like they keep moving on to new features before polishing or even making sure the old ones feel fine. Still more content and things to do than ED though

Nicholas Martin
Nicholas Martin

What?

Isaac Flores
Isaac Flores

X games have bad exploration and each system is vaguely pointless.

Logan Rogers
Logan Rogers

Everspace
get Freelancer's mechanics down perfectly
ruin it by making it a roguelike

Juan Murphy
Juan Murphy

Most mobile games have more to do than ed.

Brandon Cook
Brandon Cook

And probably cost less.

Kayden Diaz
Kayden Diaz

Man say what you want about Star Citizen but at least you get the full barely-a-game for like $35. ED locks its content behind stupidly pricey expansions. Fuck Frontier and fuck the Vision

Isaac Brooks
Isaac Brooks

Id say stop kicking korean grindfest while its down but brabo and crew deserve it. Especially the shitty forumfucks that make reddit cancer look slightly easier to cure. A forum of shitters that want the game to be more boring.

Jordan Foster
Jordan Foster

Muh vision

Cooper Russell
Cooper Russell

Space game that doesn't allow 3D movement

You have to be a literal retard to do this.

Josiah Hernandez
Josiah Hernandez

I think they wanted it to be a pirate game but in space.

Isaiah Martin
Isaiah Martin

battlefleet gothic armada is fun

Zachary Nelson
Zachary Nelson

I want to like it. THe combat is enjoyable but there's NOTHING to do.

Elijah Ramirez
Elijah Ramirez

enjoyable
muh rotating

Isaac Jackson
Isaac Jackson

Wait do you actually control ships in that? I thought it was a strategy game.

Juan Lewis
Juan Lewis

you don't pilot them if that's what you mean

Samuel Evans
Samuel Evans

As someone new to the genre, should I play this, Rebel Galaxy or X3 Terran Conflict?

Noah White
Noah White

What are you looking for? Do you want to trade and build corporate empires or pew the pew?

Gavin Campbell
Gavin Campbell

Pew the pew and exploration.

Nolan Diaz
Nolan Diaz

Not him but skies of arcadia but in space.

Austin King
Austin King

Rebel Galaxy is closer then. X3 is about going up to the final boss, sending a boarding party to the final boss, taking over the final boss, then dragging the final boss to your headquarters and mass producing final bosses.

Kayden Martin
Kayden Martin

freelancer if u can get it

Lucas Lee
Lucas Lee

https://mega.nz/#!5YBjBC7Y!W8HC8kAMXfKEngsZZZ5qpBiWiXVlvhVWEtiD0uV6ja8

You're welcome

Jaxon Wilson
Jaxon Wilson

he doesnt know how to skip the grind

Carson Bailey
Carson Bailey

skip the grind
stop playing

Wyatt Cruz
Wyatt Cruz

w-well one day fdev will make end game content right? right??

Ethan Wood
Ethan Wood

They'd have to make content first for that to happen

Josiah Lopez
Josiah Lopez

play with some mod that turned the game into sorta mmo (including actually autistic role-playing for the empire navies playing people) with a friend
explore a sector I recall were one of the xeno bases in vanilla while my friend were elsewhere shopping guns
there's a sole player ship there just waiting
hail him, he replies his "crew" is stuck and they need some items to take off
unable to get it but he then says he can take some fictional stuff from from my ship
sure why not, I'll just play along
he thanks me, rewards me a couple of million credits and takes off
And that's how I jump started from a shitty beginner frigate to a decent ship within my first two hours. I wonder how long he waited just to role play.

Hudson Cook
Hudson Cook

And the robot planet too

Landon Morris
Landon Morris

Discovery.

Dylan Lewis
Dylan Lewis

released 25 years ago
newer games still haven't topped this

Nathaniel Wright
Nathaniel Wright

/v/lancer is dead forever and is never coming back
IT'S NOT FAIR

Jose Rodriguez
Jose Rodriguez

the dev is making an original game instead
live works out

Ryder Brooks
Ryder Brooks

Anyone can host a server. When someone communicates that they are, an announcement goes out and at least a few people will hop in.

Carter Sullivan
Carter Sullivan

/v/lancer is so old it has trollface.

Daniel Moore
Daniel Moore

It was made in 2009. It's almost ten years old.

Brayden Campbell
Brayden Campbell

X4 Foundations soon

Brody Brown
Brody Brown

still haven't changed the fundamental issues with the games
Pass

David Miller
David Miller

more like X4 Testbed

Joshua Jenkins
Joshua Jenkins

It's ... it's a great economic game and a pretty decent space game, but it's not the best. The 'space' in the X-games is pretty damn dull.

Ayden Howard
Ayden Howard

You mean how autistic they are with no real endgame or plot?
I actually enjoy the former

Jacob Bell
Jacob Bell

you can have more than one ship

Aiden Lopez
Aiden Lopez

Still explorationless and the flying still feels stiff and boring.

Nolan Turner
Nolan Turner

Buzzwords

Andrew Torres
Andrew Torres

Some cheeky cunt from the last thread lied to me and told me to play X3 If I liked Freelancer.

Shit is just a single player version of EVE Online with less content. The dogfighting is terrible, and everything else about the game is just on autopilot.

What are some ACTUAL Freedroidvanialanceresque games?

Jose Peterson
Jose Peterson

Everspace has the closest to it mechanically I feel. There's lot otherwise. the /v/lancer's guys' game looks promising but otherwise not. Darkstar One is sort of close. Don't go for Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous unless you hate fun.

Parker Foster
Parker Foster

Disco is weaponized cancer and sadly the best online space roleplaying experience that exists despite that.

Jose Ross
Jose Ross

You should try ______nothing, there is nothing, it is dead, and Independence War 2 is your best bet today and that's not the same.

Julian Foster
Julian Foster

What's the /v/lancer game?

Nathan Powell
Nathan Powell

That's not saying much or a high bar

Jaxson Thompson
Jaxson Thompson

It's all we have.

Jose Edwards
Jose Edwards

I've heard it's hard and overwhelmingly complex...

Samuel Campbell
Samuel Campbell

Are there still players in Discovery?

I figure if me and a buddy go into the ass-end of a system, we won't find any autists.

Logan Ramirez
Logan Ramirez

Dunno the name, just that pastaspace/trainwiz is making it.

Samuel Thomas
Samuel Thomas

Freelancer in general is dead but there's some who still play. It has more players than Crossfire at least.

Landon Mitchell
Landon Mitchell

http://trainwiz.tumblr.com/tagged/Underspace

Landon Myers
Landon Myers

Freelancer when it released was hated by the space sim community because they're all assholes. As such most devs, who are part of that, didn't want to recreate it.

Matthew Richardson
Matthew Richardson

I've been playing this lately and I've gotten further than I have ever before.

Dominic Baker
Dominic Baker

Homosexual.

Michael Watson
Michael Watson

Most adventure RPGs today are hated by the RPG community. Most tacked-on-RPG shooters today are hated by the FPS community. They appeal to wider audiences as Freelancer did; that isn't the reason.

Joshua Rivera
Joshua Rivera

go back to play freelancer again
end up in fights against several enemies who quickly wreck your shields
fly in circles waiting for them to regen
repeat
I guess there was a reason I modded the starting guns to do a lot of damage the second time I played it way back when.

Owen Moore
Owen Moore

Space Rangers 2 is pretty good too.

Aiden Rodriguez
Aiden Rodriguez

why don't you use shield batteries?

Liam Ramirez
Liam Ramirez

Because the capacity isnt that high.

Grayson Ramirez
Grayson Ramirez

I got a starfighter on an empty MP server and could wipe out outcasts in ten seconds per fighter on a bad day.

You need to git gud.

Nathaniel Sanchez
Nathaniel Sanchez

Umm, sweetums? Poopsikins? Schnookums? You don't get to say a space sim where one of the first combat upgrades you get is an aimbot and 90 percent of the time you're just managing a space shipping company is the best ever made. Mmmkay mama's widdle lolipop honey muffin baby bear buttercup butterfly raindrop? :)

Bentley Mitchell
Bentley Mitchell

If you break it down though it's not though. It's so basic and there's so little content.
as always the best part was the multiplayer mods

singleplayer was repetitive

Adrian Barnes
Adrian Barnes

stupid

Thomas Martin
Thomas Martin

Remember the final boss in /v/lancer

Elijah Thomas
Elijah Thomas

groups of 3-4 outcasts in mp
vs 10+ in sp because you have allies that are "supposed" to hold some attention

Nathan Watson
Nathan Watson

never played that one

Jaxson Foster
Jaxson Foster

We don't really run this place, but we have an understanding with the people who do

Charles Davis
Charles Davis

10+
Literally only happens at the end against the nomads who you can shred like paper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aiZeGFOVOQ

Anthony Reyes
Anthony Reyes

You get at least 7 fairly early on, and when you first get attacked by rheinland ships, thats a pretty big power gap even with only 5 or so of them. This complaint has always been lodged against freelancer - there are multiple points where the difficulty spikes for a single fight and then goes back to normal while you upgrade.

Ryder Wright
Ryder Wright

who you can shred like paper.

I couldn't, because I was an underleveled brainlet who probably didn't find a single wreck or prototype weapon.

I still won anyway by outmaneuvering them.

Leo Lee
Leo Lee

that chat box
Just as cringey as I expected.

Joshua Young
Joshua Young

The fact that Star Citizen neglects to add this is a crime.

BOB
Hope you like him, because he's coming back in Underspace.

The Anubis, which I skipped over the first time playing because I thought the low cost implied it sucked, was super strong at that point. Pity about its low cost meaning it's hard to trade in ships afterwards.

Cameron Butler
Cameron Butler

I had trouble with the escape from Liberty part

Camden Flores
Camden Flores

>>399190146
Banned in Bretonia/10

Henry Mitchell
Henry Mitchell

the perils of having too many tabs open

Josiah Barnes
Josiah Barnes

Pasta?

Asher Jones
Asher Jones

The one and only.

Juan Ramirez
Juan Ramirez

I only ever had trouble with the first Rheinlander cloaked fighters.

Sebastian Barnes
Sebastian Barnes

cringy
/v/lancer was back during 2009, the height of the bro phase. Which was also the best time of Sup Forums.

Jaxson Flores
Jaxson Flores

Story wise it was a good game until those flying squids showed up

Nicholas Mitchell
Nicholas Mitchell

until those flying squids showed up
You mean all the way in the very first scene when Freeport 7 gets destroyed?

Alexander Thomas
Alexander Thomas

Nope, I mean after you get out of Alaska with Jacobi. I feel like the last three or so missions were rushed by Microsoft. It was probably not how Roberts invisioned the ending.

Henry Rogers
Henry Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNfRcNPzE4

This brings back so many memories.

Asher James
Asher James

Once I learned how to Engine Kill, I have never died to NPCs. Unless, it was a mod where you could chase one fucking fighter for like twenty minutes because it's shields never fucking depleted.

Luke Young
Luke Young

Unless, it was a mod where you could chase one fucking fighter for like twenty minutes because it's shields never fucking depleted.

Fuck Crossfire.

Parker Bennett
Parker Bennett

I enjoyed the technical aspects of the mod (purple fire excluded), but the balancing was absolute nomadshit.

Owen Jones
Owen Jones

tfw Disco is still the greatest space rp multiplayer experience
How sad is that.

Colton Diaz
Colton Diaz

Badlands were pretty spooky.

Tyler Nguyen
Tyler Nguyen

Could be worse

Asher Phillips
Asher Phillips

I fail to see how it could be worse, when the strongest power in Discovery is france.

Angel Mitchell
Angel Mitchell

France is one of the strongest naval powers IRL

Adrian Carter
Adrian Carter

How many years has it been since people were screaming about a space sim renaissance, ive yet to see one that wasn't half baked repetitive garbage

Samuel Green
Samuel Green

in all fairness elite is a work in progress, recent thargoid attacks added sonething new to do, and upcoming update has actual squad missions, you really do need an exploit so you get soaked in money though, without money you can do jack shit

Hunter Sanchez
Hunter Sanchez

Just like the actual renaissance was compared to greek times.
I think people expected that after SC and ED's money, other studios would follow in their footsteps. But nobody makes space games.

Landon Ortiz
Landon Ortiz

They wanted to NMS it up.

Jason Martin
Jason Martin

i dont think anybody would fall for a second nms right?

Christopher Turner
Christopher Turner

I was confused that people fell for a first NMS

Ryan Davis
Ryan Davis

It looked good.

Aiden Wood
Aiden Wood

It looked like what Elite Dangerous did 20 years ago.

Xavier Nelson
Xavier Nelson

You mean Elite 2, and that was 30 years ago.
Why is anyone ever excited about procedural content?

Ryan Gonzalez
Ryan Gonzalez

It's like 77% now on Steam

Nicholas Bennett
Nicholas Bennett

Did they fuck

Samuel Mitchell
Samuel Mitchell

They most certainly did.

Lucas Smith
Lucas Smith

Awesome

Christian Long
Christian Long

What's the point of setting it in space then?
the space theme is quite a bit more than just moving in 3 dimensions, so, removing 1 dimension of movement does not invalidate a game as a space game.

Reducing space games to the z-axis is like reducing RPGs to stats, fucking stupid.

Robert Bennett
Robert Bennett

because they do not understand that infinity means infinitesimal excitement.

Jordan Gomez
Jordan Gomez

I've never met a procedural game that was fun after an hour

Levi Price
Levi Price

FTL.

Jace Torres
Jace Torres

Not really procedural.

Nathaniel Morgan
Nathaniel Morgan

elite dangerous felt pretty fun but I always felt like I fell into either hunting and killing ships (sucked at) or delivering space weed 29 minutes and 32 space jumps for 1009% profit and repeat. Then while delivering space weed, once in a while a player or pirate ship would try to knock me out of subspace and I get thrown into a galaxy with a gigantic black hole and I would have to fucking figure out how to move out of the event horizon so I can enable my subspace drive and get the fuck out of dodge.

Hunter Collins
Hunter Collins

No, no it is exactly procedural.

Joshua Ward
Joshua Ward

I quit when I realized I was grinding so I could grind better

Gavin Williams
Gavin Williams

mass producing final bosses.

fuck X3, building even the shittiest capital ship takes literal REAL LIFE DAYS even with 1000% SETA (Time dilation) on.

Jose Jenkins
Jose Jenkins

SETA

The real indicator that X is shit. It has a fast forward button for the game.

Adam Wright
Adam Wright

X has its flaws but its the only game that tickles my SPACE KAISER autism

Jason King
Jason King

The most satisfying part of X becomes watching it play itself

Benjamin Phillips
Benjamin Phillips

Honestly can't wait for more news on X4.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page