Is the Kirby franchise past its prime?

Is the Kirby franchise past its prime?

No but your life is.

He's coming, isn't he? Coming for your thread, your LIFE

Kirby new switch game is made in unreal. Random fact.

It was never good, or even bad. It just kind of exists

When Sakurai left, yes

Fucking rekt

No it's not, where the hell did you learn this?

He's a little late, isn't he?

Seems to be. Should we call him or something?

Bring bring, hey dude, I’m just calling to say there’s a bunch of anonymous people on a Japanese imageboard that you should theaten for their taste in cartoons. Contact me as soon as you can. Beep

Yeah.

Nintendo

>t. My uncle

First that mental breakdown in 2003, now this. It's really serious this time. Do you think they'll replace him, or will they let the series end?

has kirby ever had a prime? it always just seemed to be there doing its thing.

>I didn't play Planet Robobot

The only announced game from Nintendo that is made using Unreal is Yoshi 2018

SNES Kirby games were the best
Everything else was just good or better

NES to GC

Robobot defense force right on cue.

Name three (3) things wrong with it

I feel bad for the series now because no matter what happens people are never going to be pleased. I mean Return to Dreamland was even the Super Star successor everyone was begging for and Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot continue it's success from there and people still aren't satisfied.
Don't misunderstand me: I'm not one of those fanboys who believe in the horseshit "Kirby has no bad games meme" because he has had some weak games, look at Rainbow Curse and Mass Attack for recent examples and I'm not really sold on Star Allies yet. But has Kirby gotten to the point of becoming like Pokemon where the early installments (Adventure and Super Star) are always going to held as the benchmark for the series and nothing the later games do is ever going to change that?

depression

The gameplay of the last few mainline games has been stellar; a blend of Super Star's speed and variety with a more concentrated campaign. Music and story have never been better than now as well.

The only thing wrong is a lack of innovation. The only recent spinoffs are just expanded sub-games, some of which are pretty shaky in quality, and a Canvas Curse sequel whose main draw is the visuals and music rather than gameplay. Star Allies looks fantastic, but it also looks like it's just combining a bunch of mechanics from previous games together into the RtD/TD/PR mold. That means it'll be a tremendous game, but it's not really anything new. It's the definition of "safe" which contrasts it heavily from the direction Nintendo is taking some of its franchises, even its bigger ones like Zelda.

>Return to Dreamland was even the Super Star successor everyone was begging for
No it isn't. It's more similar to Squeak Squad than it is to Super Star.

>It's more similar to Squeak Squad than it is to Super Star.
Care to explain how? I get that there's a connection to each level having 1-3 collectibles in them, but Squeak Squad put a lot more emphasis on them whereas in recent games they're just a way to add puzzles, aid progression, and make a clear goal towards 100%. The gameplay is also definitely different, with ability movesets being closer to Super Star than most other games in their versatility; Squeak Squad abilities generally only do 2-3 things, and most of the best moves are locked behind the Ability Scrolls you get from chests. Not to mention the gimmicks of the games (Stomach storage vs 4-player co-op) being entirely different.

Robobot is slow and nothing new is added.
Bosses are reused and not surprising like Amazing Mirror's new bosses.
Susie and Haltmann are the same bossfight down to the phases
Nostalgia-pandering to the max
Soul boss sucked compared to Marx Soul and Magalor EX
Kirby is so slow in this game compared to Mirror and Squeak Squad
100% on this game is a boring experience and way too easy.

maybe if they made a new air ride game

Sure it's decent but it's just a slightly better version of the thoroughly medeocre Triple Deluxe.

why is that a bad/surprising thing?

I hate how the enemies wear Kirby's hats in the Switch game, it's a lazy way of giving them "friendly" designs and most of them really look like complete shit, particularly Blade Knight and Broom Hatter.

Yes it is. Squeak Squad was the start of laziness showing up in the games. The direction was safe and playable but also bland and non-memorable. Also Kirby needs a campaign that takes more than an hour to beat, the dedede tour and metaknight runs prove this.
For a game that loves to reuse assets and designs while barely adding new elements to the gameplay except 2 new abilities (and taking out awesome ones like yo-yo and ghost), it feels so copy and pasted after playing Dreamland to RtD. Robobot isn't memorable except the bosses and the forced 3D screen death animations.

>same engine 4 games in a row
blech

The copy abilities were better as of Robobot, but the story is as rote and trash as ever since RtDL. Same for every iteration of "Super Abilities" that lead to the specific puzzles that use them. Star Allies is shaping up to be more of the same.

And I fucking hate it.

I had more fun with Mass Attack than the Canvas games and Star Allies. Kirby is stepping out and becoming like Mario by making more New Kirby Land 3D games.

Robobot still had no balance to the copy abilities. Broken abilities like Archer and Hammer kill the challenge of bosses for me, because I know I'll get a better time with those. Also Throw and Suplex aren't present in most new kirby games, which suck to be honest.