Commandos vs Desperados vs Blades

Which one had the best games?

Also, devs confirmed no DLC ever on Blades of the Shogun, so there's that.
>gamasutra.com/view/news/310894/Postmortem_Mimimis_Shadow_Tactics_Blades_of_the_Shogun.php
TL;DR:
>"So if we ever get the chance to make “Shadow Tactics: Legions of Rome”, that’s one less thing to worry about."
>Demo saved their ass.
>Initially supposed to be a mobile game.
>No DLC or expansions.
>They think a lot of Commandos folk detest the stylised art-style.
>Not fans of Commandos 2.

only played blades of the shogun but it was fucking awesome my man,

Shadow tactics is more streamlined, this is both for better and for worse.

I think commandos 1 is the best of all those games. I have a sweet spot for WWII though and also prefer 2d rendered graphics over 3d. Music was great too.

commandos games were much more simplistic

The second one has some very detailed mechanics.

I agree with him about Commandos 2, I prefer the first one because it feels more tightly designed, the controls also feel much better, the second is one of the best looking games ever though.

nothing as fleshed out and specific to characters' particular roles as in BOTS

Both Comandos games are much more difficult as well, ST is almost casual when compared to them.

nope, i remember struggling less with commandos 2 than with BOTS with normal difficulty

>The image of a ninja sneaking around and backstabbing a whole army can be considered to be an even more convincing stealth character than a WW2 soldier;
That's why they weren't simple line soldiers they were commandos that did exactly that kind of shit during the war.

Did you play on PC? The game is pretty easy I don't see how you'd struggle with it, I don't even mean that in a bad way, I got annoyed with how easily you could fuck up in Commandos.

Brittish commandos never made it to the WW2 pop-culture in the US. Nowadays, you only know about them as special forces.

Commandos 2 is a lot easier than the other Commandos games and Shadow Tactics, but that's because the game gives you more options.

Shadow Tactics is a miracle of game, considering just how good it is and that it's in a dead genre.

>Also, devs confirmed no DLC ever on Blades of the Shogun, so there's that.
I'm pretty sure they said the opposite before the game came out. Stuff like "yea we have some awesome ideas. stay tuned."
Shame.

I'd prefer if they released a new game in another setting.

Looking forward to their new project, Shadow Tactics was one of the best games I've played this year

just posting muh waifu.

Well, they've confirmed just that a few months back.

The setting changed, the genre is the same. Hopefully that was the main project they're referring to as the thing preventing them from making the DLC and not something that will only come afterwards with this being some project to build up money again.

such a qt

It's a shame that we can never get these threads really going, is this genre so obscure that not even Sup Forums cares?

Commandos 2 and 3 were the "easier" games though. The first game's expansion Beyond the Call of Duty was the truly brutal experience.

I've played all the Commandos games and Shadow Tactics, and enjoyed them quite a bit. How does Desperados compare? The western setting doesn't appeal to me as much as the others, but is the gameplay up to par?

Pretty sure the quote from the game's director is pretty true: "Also, Commandos and Desperados sold exceptionally well in Europe, but many US gamers (one of our most important markets) never heard about the games."

Commandos is an old Spanish series, Desperados is an old German one.
They are well known in Europe (which is not at prime-time ATM) but expecting people online right now to know much about them is like asking them to talk about Gothic or Original War.

The synchronized actions mechanic from Shadow Tactics is borrowed from Desperados. It's a great game, though it can run poorly on new systems.

Shadow Tactics is more Desperados than it is Commandos. Characters with specific abilities, no interiors, no inventories, etc.
If you don't like the Wild West setting, there's also Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood.

what commandos is this??

commandos 2

The first one.

shadow tactics was really fucking good

Looks like the second game, one of the early missions.

Do you have any fan art of her saved?

>This is straight from the game artist's DA.
Welp. Does anyone have the Moon Samurai stuff from the collectors edition?

Commandos is the goat imo. All good fun though.
Destination Paris mod is a great mod for C2. Really steps up difficulty a notch. I think a lot of people in vanilla C2 just ended up luring ze germans into ambushes with pistols.

>Do you have any fan art of her saved?
Nope, just that one pic. I think the artist got her face perfect in that one. That, combined with her VA in the game = fantasy girl.

>Shadow Tactics is a miracle of game, considering just how good it is and that it's in a dead genre.

Truer words were never said. It helps the game is genuinely good and wasn't just half-assed attempt like that Star Trek or Chicago mafia game was.

I keep wanting to try out Desperadoes, since Hard West was pretty lacking.

Commandos levels were mind blowing, doubly so when you consider some had actual interiors as well.

Interiors were a thing from the second game onward, in the first one you can make them enter buildings but can't look inside, they just work for objectives or as hiding spots.

Well, it has no useless characters whereas the Driver in Commandos was highly, extremely highly situational.

Hey I actually really liked the Star Trek game. It was cool that you could pick your team for each level. I played it as a kid though so maybe it's nostalgia.
I should find it and try it out again.

I love Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood although I understand some people may not like it that much because of it's increased focus on combat.

I also liked it, but it was definitely a notch below Commandos and Desperados. I also wasn't that big on more combat.

He had an SMG which was fairly useful when stealth wasn't an issue. Also I never quite got what happened with the cast, did he turn into the thief or was he just scrapped and the thief was added as a new character?

Lack of interiors was one thing I felt initially disappointed by with Shadow Tactics. I got used to it, but it would've added more layers and sense of depth to the maps. Had this complaint with Satellite Reign, too.

Shadow tactics was pretty great but it failed to keep my interest long enough to finish the game.

I would play the shit out of a game set in Rome though

interiors can suck my balls

I loved Shadow Tactics. I haven't thought any modern devs would dare to tackle a Commandos-like game of all things.

Actually nevermind, I forgot that both were in Commandos 2, made a confusion because the order I played them was 1 -> 3 -> 2 and I noticed the new thief character and no driver when I went from 1 to 3.

Commandos 3 gets way too much shit in retrospective.

What's it like playing Blades with a controller? Seems like that would be ass.

It's just too short and disjointed compared to the other ones. And most of it is quite easy. I did like the second campaign though, it had a nice flow to it. The third one however was way too trivial.

>played shadow tactics when it came out
>loved it
>reached level just after mugen dies
>can't bring myself to continue playing with him gone

>haven't played the game since

i'm so mad at myself

It's playable but targeting things with a mouse is much faster and more precise

>Reminder that we'll never get another squad based Syndicate game and all people remember of the franchise is zOMG BLOOM FPS
Fuck EA.

Satellite reign?

It belongs to a subgenre of RTS, what do you think?

It's definitely playable which is an achievement in on itself.
You can always hook up a controller to the demo version and see for yourself, I think.

I wonder if they meant for the controller to be used along with eye-tracking?

This is the first game I've played that even has that as an option; I was kind of surprised. But I guess with the popularity of simulators these days that install base must be growing? I'd rather see eye tracking develop/get cheaper than VR honestly.

Commandos and Desperados are great games but the ease of use in ST really makes it the best in the genre I think. Particularly the consistent hot keys and the fact it's easy to run while all the old RTT games are a bitch and a half to get running comfortably. I'd love to see another game like it from Mimimi, it was my GOTY for 2016.

I was almost the same way but I thankfully only had my fill by the last mission.
The desire to shank the mother-fucker won over the fact I had just about enough of all the sneaking around and using the tried and true methods of getting around.

Worth a finish for the music alone, imo.

I don't think anybody remembers that game at all.

Only ever played Desperadoes and I loved it

Eye-tracking stuff is extremely old. Never found much of a niche and VR supplanted it since it's less awkward.

Demo, man. Get it. 2Gigs only, no "download 9/10ths of the whole 200GB game for a 30 minute trial" that passes for demos in Denuvo vidya nowadays.

>mfw Commandos was the pinnacle of Spanish games.
I'll never play a Spanish vidya as good as Commandos.

Desperados for me, I checked it out because I'm a western fan and really enjoyed it, it's a great adventure. The gameplay is really repetitive (bait a guy, knock him out, tie him up, hide the body) but it's really fun whenever the shit hits the fan and you have to deal with multiple targets and use all your team members together, situations can get really tense and tricky. The graphics still look gorgeous, I love this kind of art style or the pre-rendered background of stuff like classic RE, it doesn't age and has so much more soul than 3D. Shame it didn't get proper sequels with this style, the 3D shit looks awful, and the genre seemed to have died anyway. I keep telling myself I should play Commandos because I love that mix of stealth and strategy with beautiful 2D graphics but the setting is less appealing to me, and I care about Robin Hood even less.

>ST gives you lots of fun abilities to use
>punishes you for using any of them

this is what I hate about 'difficult' games. do play it 'right' you're pretty much banned from using any items or mechanics.

>punishes you for using any of them

This is not Thief, user. Alerting the guards is okay if you can chuck a grenade and dispose of the bodies without getting every single character on the map in on the melee.

Gothic threads aren't exactly an uncommon site at any hour. It has a cult following outside of Europe, just like RTT games.

W-wait....What? there is a new game out that's similar to Desperados/Commandos??
You guys are my local news feed, how come you never told me?

shadow tactics has been out for like a year my dude

There was a lot of discussion when it was released, pay more attention to your news feed.

Don't forget about South America where PC has a significant niche too.

Desperados is my fave but can't get it to run properly anymore.

Oh, I didn't know that. And that's kind of a shame, it seems like VR is only doing half of what it could do by treating the human head just like a camera-in-whole when it's actually not like that. In the future, focusing on and interacting with elements solely by centering them in the FOV is going to seem primitive as shit. That's my bet.

Imagine being able to manipulate a virtual environment with your gaze alone, rather than just swiveling your head around and living in perpetual vertigo & blur

It's great, too, and even on sale right now on GOG. Just make sure to play it windowed mode. Fullscreen mode pushes computers hard for some reason.

Nowadays after Witcher and what-not.
I've been on Sup Forums long enough to know full well how many eyebrows were raised when you brought up the games during an Elder Scrolls discussion.

>You guys are my local news feed, how come you never told me?
There was a period of about 2 months with daily threads as anons played through it...

i blame it on too many fucking games, anyway I'm glad i found out now

thanks for telling this. I might dload the demo to check out if it has a noticeable difference. refunded it once because my pc is shit

I seriously doubt most Witcher fans are aware of how much it draws from Gothic. I'm not sure I've ever seen a single review of a Witcher game that even mentions Gothic.

you need a vm with windows xp senpai

Showing Mugen as a playable character in Mount Tsuru 2 was an extremely cruel trick.

>I'm not sure I've ever seen a single review of a Witcher game that even mentions Gothic.

I've started the series way back when I still used the local vidya sites and programs for recommendations and just as everyone around here played Gothic, everyone saw Witcher for the spiritual successor it is.

Each nationality/language has an entirely different internet experience. Dunno about Germans, but Czechs and Slovaks caught on quickly.

>tfw the developers of Desperados most recent project was the fucking Bubsy reboot

I doubt the people working there today had any involvement with the games back then.

Get the demo if you're wary about spending 40 bucks right away on it. It's fucking great though, absolutely worth the price tag.

I'm in the US. Gothic has a cult following but the Witcher, even the first game, broke out into the mainstream in a way that Gothic never managed to.

Oh, I hadn't tried this.

>Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
had so much fun fucking people up with the flail guy

I played a bit of Satellite Reign and Desperados, but in both instances was expecting a turn-based strategy/tactics game like XCOM or Shadowrun, so I got put off by both of them after a bit because I wasn't "getting" how I'm supposed to play. I'm maybe about halfway through Shadow Tactics now, though, and have a much better appreciation for the genre, so I'm going to go back and give the other two another go.

The last Desperados game came out in 2009. I'd be willing to bet plenty of people involved in that are still at the company, particularly since they started ramping up development on that new survival game that got announced last week. I just don't get why they've decided to focus on mediocre 2D platformers instead of making more stealth games.

I really like the desperados setting and story

played it on the ps4 and it plays fine.

How many Desperados games are there? Which are worth playing?

how about using google my man?

two desperados games. first one is the best

second one is shit and shit 3d too

Only the first one is worth playing.
Then it's either the other games from those people (Robin Hood, Chicago) or going with Commandos (the three numbered games).

What. How does it punish you for using them? It's impossible to get all the medals in one playthrough, since you get some for killing and some for not killing.

Three, but the last one doesn't have "Desperados" in the title

What is the last one called?

wtf are you talking about, you can and should use every ability, the restrictions are only optional achievements and even those aren't the same for every map