What exactly did San Andreas do right that made it more memorable than the Grand Theft Auto games after it?

What exactly did San Andreas do right that made it more memorable than the Grand Theft Auto games after it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FlOQslp4MQA&list=PLnFYuYwRteIM2yQv1nDmK3BL6vLZ2cSY3
youtube.com/watch?v=F_iJ28iXwo0
youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g
youtube.com/watch?v=D-wLIAISF9I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was fun

It came out earlier.

there was actually a reason to be a criminal

Grove Street.

what was big smoke's reason for doing this again?

It progressed more naturally and let you take in each part of the map gradually as the story continued rather than let you roam all around it in a high speed car like the opening mission like GTA V. GTA IV did the same but it was far less varied, and people were pissed because it lacked the side content SA introduced.

A lot of the vernacular was fuckin' on point for the time

Really made you feel like you were out doin' hoodrat shit in a time where thuggin' was at it's finest

You just had to be there, my man

Niggers stealing.
100% acurate real life. People love realism.

It actually had a bunch of different shit to do instead of just GUISE LOOK AT THE NICE PHYSICS AND TEXTURES

Money,Power,Fame

are you sure it's more memorable, there aren't many missions in that game that i can remember. GTA IV on the other hand, i can remember pretty much the entire storyline.

Being a nigger?

Home

It was before video games became NO FUN ALLOWED

It was released before you became jaded and started to hate video games.

Niko was a serious slav war veteran in a serious crime drama

GTA was best when it didn't take itself too seriously

Lets your character turn into a disgusting fat slob (with the story recognizing that accordingly)

Could you even be able to make a game like GTA: San Andreas today without the game being absolutely shit on?

You could drive trucks for money.

It's just the best, it just is.

Memorable characters, the only character anyone will remember from 4 and 5 is Roman because of how annoying his calls became.

This.

Best map, best radio, and the best cast.

>forgetting about the streets, man
you're probably some gay drug dealer kys

I brought a whole new level of interaction with the world.
You could talk to people
game acknoledged if you were fat or not.
you could customize your character with plenty of ways.
you could go to dance party, to the gym, on dates, you could even romance girls.
Being a gangster for your hood was cool, and you could do lot of optional stuff besides the main mission.
IMO the game fell apart after the first quarter when you leave los santos it loses a lot of charm.

Finding out the game was gonna have 3 full cities instead of just 1 plus the countryside and desert was mind blowing at the time.

I'll never understand people who say this, I think the game gets better once it's not just gangbanging in the hood simulator.

Is GTA one of the few games to do diversity right?

two number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives; one with cheese, and a large soda

pseudo rpg mechanics, first gta without loading screens beween islands, proper thrid person shooter mechanics, proper camera control, and a world that through some slight tricks, feels bigger than it is.

i still discover new hings about the game to this day. turns out there are robbery missions in san fierro and venturas as well. after like 13 years playing it, the only thing thats started to bug me is the artificial speed. shaking the camera more violently in sports cars to hide the fact they arent going as fast as you think, i mean. i also just iss the days when rockstart would do games based on a time period and nail the satire. gta 3 was fine, but vce city and san andreas are so much better for atmosphere cause the time period was decades removed from when the game was made and gave the benefit of hindsight. liberty city stories lost in this category, but vice city stores is incredible, and is the last gta not based in the current day. gta 4 made me realized they will never go back to the past. 4 had ok satirevat launch, and since its nearly 10 years old, it really has been true to form with the celeb worship, cell phones being a new thing, and the internet taking over everything. its also nice to see analog tv in the game since all tv is digital since like 09 gta 5 felt like too much of a parody and not enough of it straight faced. i cant walk down the street and get soaked up when every line npcs have feel like something no one would ever say. gta 5 is over 4 years old, but the early 10s its parodying still feels like today. i guess culture has homogenized and hasnt changed that much since then.

come on brucie and packie were fun

big world
a lot of filler to fuck around
planes
Thats it. Im probably a minority with this but I didnt really like SA story

Accurately portrayed the life of your typical Basketball-American and let white kids experience being a "gangsta" without the real life consequences. That being said, it wasn't more memorable than Vice City or GTA 4

Implying we won't be resurrecting "Niko let's go bowling" memes within the next several years

I don't know how GTA V can be rememe-bered though. Lamar? Who knows

There's a lot to do, the world is significantly larger than any previous GTA featuring badlands, a desert, and 3 cities. All of those 5 areas are utilized in some way throughout the story so they feel somewhat significant, a problem I had in V where it felt like Los Santos and kind of Shady Sands were the only areas really utilized by the single player. It has a story that's a good mix of serious and humor with a lot of memorable characters like Truth, Toreno, and Tenpenny. The gameplay itself is a bit arcadey and there's a lot of ways to fuck around in the game such as flying around in the hydra.

It's one of the few games I can come back to every year or two and still heavily enjoy it.

i prefer vice city

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ

Cheats. The fact that you could easily access the other parts of the world by air right from the get go, if you had the know how.

Two player mode, a very open world compared to the very high density city blocks that III and VC had.

Let me put it in a different way:
Watch this guy:
youtube.com/watch?v=FlOQslp4MQA&list=PLnFYuYwRteIM2yQv1nDmK3BL6vLZ2cSY3

He's doing everything possible without actually doing a mission for the first part of this playlist. The amount of things you have access to is incredible.

What's your favorite weapon, anons? Sawed off shotguns are pretty fun

they forced a black protagonist into GTA V just so the wanna be gang member teenagers would have someone to relate to.

it was pure and innocent fun

It didn't take itself seriously at all. You just played as a goofy ghetto nigger.

it really wasnt. the only memorable parts was the los santos missions and i guess the final mission.

>see mid-late game screenshot of gameplay with CJ in the shot
>he's still in the starter clothes

plz stop just give him generic grove street clothes, or at least a really fancy suit and shit

It focused on CJ who while a criminal was not a bad guy per se compared to much of what the player interacts with. So there they created a protagonist that one actually relates and one wants to see succeed since through it all his goal really is just to protect and provide for his family. Which he does.
So it is kinda like the movie titanic, the one everyone remembers and none of the other titanic movies no one even knows exists. The core of it all is a really well done action type of deal. Though there is bit of admittedly shallow plot that while shallow is really well done. In SAs case it made us care about what one was doing which again was well done. In titanics case shit was romance plot that was well told with no plot holes and solid enough writing.
So shit was really a thing of something being greater than the sum of its whole parts. Since they cared to make interesting shit that was fun to play and then was told and presented in such a neato way that one care about was going on.

they're probably all promotional screenshots from ancient reviews. you want the protagonist to be clearly recognizable at all times in those.

They didn't "force" Franklin in there. In fact, he's the least shitty protag in GTAV.

>homies tell me to wear green
>never wear green the entire game

I also never wore purple in any of the Saints Row games.

Another Saints Row game when? I remember reading that Volition had some lay offs after Agents of Mayhem, I seriously hope they survive.

Rate my boss by the way.

generic face/10

Yes, after they stopped being shitlords.

for many here it's the babby's first gta
gta4 is the real deal

of course they did. the story is obviously about mike and trevor, what the fuck does a south central gang banger have to do with midwestern bank robbers? nothing, that's what. they needed a young character because 50% of their fanbase is under 15 years old.

Funny how Cubans didn't complain when the Haitians got you to murder them in return, isn't it

I once made ten minute long video in which I meticulously described everything you can do in the game

They didn't force him in because the "returning to grove street" thing was a huge selling point and marketing aspect for Rockstar. Regardless if Franklin had little to do with the main story of the game, he was definitely written in there from the beginning.

San Andreas is still the best GTA

>return to groove street in gta5
>fucking ballas live there now

it was funny

Fun and memorable cast
Amazingly fun gameplay that isn't bound to muh realism
Just the right amount of laidback comedy and seriousness in the scenario

It was the first one you played.

Specifically, San Andreas was an RPG in a series where the most recent games KO'd the character in water.

>mix-and-matching clothes
>car customization
>really good story rewards (an airfield)

Innovation is really helpful.

I can't remember anybody form V. However I remember almost everyone from 4. then again i am slavic so it appealed to me greatly

I played them all starting with the PS1 GTA games.

SA is easily the best.
>Interesting story
>Changes locales keep it fresh
>Lots of side content
>Piece of shit villain who keeps showing up, right from the beginning to harass you, constantly reminding you what a piece of shit he is; making the ending feel so good when you finally kill him.

Step aside Niggers. Best GTA Comming through.

mmmm nice gta

Vice City is great, but GTA:SA was pretty much a straight upgrade in terms of mechanics, visuals, and content. Only thing Vice City arguably has over it is the properties, arguably theme and music if you prefer Vice City for that.

youtube.com/watch?v=F_iJ28iXwo0

SA was the start of scripting in the missions, so that's a black mark I put against it. Also, the Blaine County arc was not fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=GHzG0bKTa1g

This trailer Sup Forums.
It sold a million PS2's. It showed off so much, customisation, a countryside, desert, different cities. It just advanced the hype to another level.

no he very clearly wasn't. you obviously aren't remembering the mental gymnastics they had to pull off to get him in the same room as michael. jimmy just so happens to be buying a car from that particular dealership, at that particular time JUST as franklin and lamar walk in. and the very FIRST repo operation outside of the tutorial JUST so happens to be retrieving THAT particular car, which somehow is behind on payments even though jimmy bought it five fucking minutes prior.

While I think SA is overall a better game I think sometimes VC's simplicity works out well

Black people.

Don't get me wrong, I love them both, but playing them back to back makes me realize how much SA improved things, things like less issues with cars disappearing when looking away, able to move the camera while in a car, better car handling, better shooting. The main thing I really like in VC over SA are the properties.

bustas

I don't think any games after it had cheat codes

reeeee im east coast

That reminds me, are there katanas in San Andreas? I remember liking them in Vice City

NO MY GTA

GTA IV had cheatcodes, you input them on your cellphone as numbers

yeah, it was funny as fuck to mix the katana with the karate combat, it felt like my nigga CJ was a weeaboo

Why did Smoke kill CJ's mother anyways?

oh
why didn't GTA V have cheat codes

He didn't. He just helped cover it up.

>less issues with cars disappearing when looking away
I watched some faggot speedrun SA on PC a few years ago and he constantly flung the camera all over the place when driving so he could make cars disappear right in front of him

it did, but they were weak af

they were aiming for sweet and she just got caught in the crossfire.

Survivalist rifle. Headshots all day.

It was the first time you white bois got to experience Black culture.

hydra

>Get called to donut shop by crooked cops
>CJ walks in as if his inner monologue is "Boy, I could sure go for a donut right about now, I think I'll go ge-AW, FUCK! THAT'S RIGHT! COPS TOLD ME TO COME TO THIS VERY PLACE!"

I thought it had a lot of good quotes.

It had so much included considering the limited power. Imagine that much effort to fill out the world had gone into GTAV.

CARL YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GANGBANGING COCKSUCKER

That nigga that gets promptly killed by the shaniqua?

That's something I always loved about GTA III, Vice City and the first two Saints Row games. Before you start a mission, you can take any vehicle or weapon from the open word and play accordingly, essentially outsmarting the game.

youtube.com/watch?v=D-wLIAISF9I

You have watched The Introduction, right user? You do know how it really all began, don't you?

Good places to drive, a great varied map. Neat cars, you could go in restaurants and eat and go to the gym and change your appearance. It was simulation role playing before simulator games were a thing

If they do make GTA VI and it's not just GTA Online 2: Electric Boogaloo they better do one protagonist and a dense world like San Andreas

>What exactly did San Andreas do right that made it more memorable than the Grand Theft Auto games after it?
Great writing. You could relate to the characters in one way or the other. Their dialogue was interesting and funny, and they're all seem like a real people.
Gameplay was fun and engaging. There were tons of side activities that you could do, and exploration was fun and memorable.

>let you roam all around it in a high speed car like the opening mission like GTA V
What? The opening mission in GTA V doesn't even take place in the same city. Or the same time period. Or with any freeroam at all really.