Dragon Quest thread??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/myjd1MnZx5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why not?? any of the dragon quests on the ds worth getting?? I was pretty into DQ1 on my old phone. ngl

All of them are great but of the DS ones IX has the best music, V the best story and VI the most solid overall.

waiting for news on 11 sucks
We dont even know which versions are coming

>No voice acting
>Text based
>Still no news
Square Enix are some bastards.

I want this 2DS to come out on the west so bad.

0,001% chance though.

All of them are worth it.

We never got the PS4 either.

VII is best.

guys why does america have 0 interest in DQ? I try to get my JRPG friends into it who enjoy FF, Persona, Pokemon ect but they literally have 0 interest in it. it makes me so sad that they'll never experience the superior franchise that led to the creation of most of their favorite games

I just consider myself lucky that japan still likes it.

VI > VIII > VII > V > IV > III > IX > I > II

also, I heard DQ11 is in DQ8/DQ5 tier and one of the best ones yet. fingers crossed for the switch version being on-par with ps4 version and also coming to the west

they aren't marketed nearly as hard as those franchises

i wouldn't say america has no interest in the games though, the games still sell

I don't know, bro. I've only seen kids in my town play Dragon Quest Monsters Joker and that was a long time ago. I feel like the only guy who went on the hunt for Fig Newtons.

I'm playing the 3ds remake of VIII, but I'm not liking it that much. Does the battles get any better with time? Are the story/characters good?

Dragon quest is extremely generic and boring so that’s probably why

>wanted to get into DQ proper after enjoying heroes
>start with DQ4
>game is less than 25 hours long
>15 hours of that is pure grinding to be able to complete the next story dungeon
>all dungeons are extremely short

That was it? Maybe I expected too much, but that was really disappointing. Well, 5 is next.

All versions will come out.

PS4 & 3DS first, then 3-4 months later the Switch version.

Honestly after such a long time since the last true home console DQ i’m gonna get it on PS4 first, i want the best possible graphics.

Still 0 footage of DQXI on the Switch, even for Japan.

My guess is they’ll wait for the PS4 & 3DS versions to come out on the west first before releasing XI on the Switch in Japan.

People say this but I cant find any other series that is like it at all.

Is it your first DQ?
It has the best battle system after IX, so if you don't like it you may as well give up.

Why such easy bait? You don't even deserve the (you).

Squenix makes a point to barely advertise it if at all and either delay or outright not announce localizations so it isn't competing with Final Fantasy, since they worked hard to build up the FF name over here and they're worried about cannibalizing its sales

Which is a damn shame because DQ has always been the better series and FF has only gotten worse and worse

>15 hours of that is pure grinding
Is it even possible being that bad at the game?
Is it the Famicom version at least?

>Does the battles get any better with time?
Yes
>Are the story/characters good?
Thats subjective but you do get to know more about them, even the main character

And yet you give it anyway

DQIV is a product of its time, it's still an alright game but by no means the best in the series, its real claim to fame is being the first console JRPG to attempt this type of character-driven narrative (for some reason this is often attributed to FFIV even though DQIV came out a year earlier on a much weaker console)

IX music is so comfy

youtu.be/myjd1MnZx5Y

Reminds me of Golden Sun’s OST.

4 is my favorite sucks to be you if you couldnt appreciatte Psaro´s story

But there was not really much of a character driven narrative. None of these characters had any character because once you played them, they didn't speak.

If you just rush through the story you'll end up under leveled and the game will be even shorter. This has nothing to do with being bad or good, since you learn skills and spells by leveling. Rushing and beating the game under leveled just means you won't see half of the skills in the game. Besides, the final boss of the DS version I played is literally just a color swapped version the final boss of the original game with bloated numbers, forcing you to grind some more.

Patiently waiting for DQB2.

>None of these characters had any character
Wow you are a fucking idiot.

what are the definitive versions of DQ 4,5,and 6? I heard DS is best for some of them, mobile(?!) for others. I want to play 5 first, then 4 and maybe 6 later if I feel like it. so far I have played 9, 7, and 8.

The DS version requires no grinding. Even the postgame is easy like that.
Of course Dragon Warrior IV being a NES game had a lot of padding in the form of extremely high random encounters and difficulty spikes, but playing the remake you have no excuses.

Please give me their character traits as being shown in DQ4 - that means not they're more expanded portrayal in later spin offs. And they're job or their goals are not character traits.

Tell me what type of character Ragnar or Maya/Meena is. The only ones that actually get some character traits are Torneko and Kiryl.

And Psaro of course.

The first one was so boring though.
>limit building space so you can't really be too creative
>build stuff you need in later chapters because you know how, but characters still come and want the same room you already have but from a blueprint so you have to do it over
>shitty combat

You were supposed to play the mobile port which includes party chat, dumbass.

>paraglider
comfy

HLTB tells me the average time to complete DQ4 is 27½ Hours. My DS says 24 hours. So I certainly didn't grind any more than the average player. Still, you spend two thirds of your time grinding on the overworld and not in some cool dungeons that serve the story. And when you are in a dungeon they are shockingly short.

Well fuck me then

This is how you make a sequel.
>Add glider, running, underwater and multiplayer.

>also, I heard DQ11 is in DQ8/DQ5 tier and one of the best ones yet.
I heard the otherwise. Basically the story is lacking but the graphics and new mechanics (monster riding, town exploring, 3d/2d vhanges in 3ds) made up for it. Not great, but still good.

huh, ive heard it has the best cast of characters since 8. not sure on the general story but as long as the characters are likable then im excited.

>no 11
I'm sorry.

W-we'll get this game in the next year, right? 2018 is the last year for 3ss, there's no way they won't release it, haha.

hoping for this and the DQM1/2 remake

I'm not sure what other people are saying but from my own experience from having played the game, it's mid tier, perhaps a bit higher but not much.

>Not great, but still good.
This is what I'd go for, definitely. It's still a good game even if there are better DQ's around.

I'm going to guess most people saying it's flawless and the best DQ ever are either hyping it way too much because they can't play, or people who know JP purposely fucking with people who don't just for a giggle.

Builders is better than it has any right to be, i put over 200 hours on it on my vita

>two dragon quest threads on Sup Forums at the same time
what magic is this?
this one seems like it has less console wars in it, so I'm staying here.

And I'm telling you that the only battles you have to do in the overworld are during exploration.
Is your party well balanced? Are you using Buff/Debuff, Magic Barrier, Insulatle, Charge, Pof, casting Sleep, Confusion, etc? Are you switching characters around when allowed? Have you found the best equipment?
This isn't like Final Fantasy where status effects and buffs don't matter.

Man, I loved ix so much. I bought it on a whim without any research into the series and promptly spent 250 hours in it.

The only other one I played was vi but the grinding for endgame stuff got too boring.

ix's endgame was so much fun for me, plus I really liked creating my own characters, and the collecting all the boss maps was fun, even if I didn't know what they were referencing.

For some reasons there are tons of idiots who think grinding is random encounters while playing the game instead of circling the same area over and over on purpose to get into fights.

good shit right there, wondering if we'll be in like, Midenhall

Do you think it's possible for them to redo IX with proper online multiplayer this time

I hope it's as good as the first one. I was regularly surprised through the story. I won't be going in as unguarded this time.

>Are you switching characters around when allowed?

Sure and that's exactly what the grinding consists of. You could just rush through sticking to one balanced party. But I wanna see all possible skills characters have, and that's just leveling.

The golem boss fight and the end boss fight were genuinely fun imo

I think the name of 2's world is Torland. Middenhall is just one of the Kingdoms.
Which, if Builders 2 is following the alternate timeline of Builders 1, shouldn't even exist.

Pfft. You can easily just power your way through most encounters with a pure physical party in Dragon Quest games.
It's only during boss fights where you suddenly need magic.

guess we'll just have to wait and see, the ending of 1 made things a little weird.

Sexiest and most underrated DQ girl.
Red >>> Jessica >>>>>>> Medea

Characters like Alena and Ragnar don't even have skills.

The reason I like Dragon Quest is because so many games try to create a "new take" on the classic JRPG/light RPG formula that it honestly becomes nauseating. Some completely miss the point, while some actually succeed and elevate the genre to new heights. Amidst all that there's Dragon Quest.
When you jump into a DQ game you know you're in for some inoffensive, classic fun, while you're going back to the genre's roots and reminding yourself what made JRPGs so great in the first place.

Well, I was running my mouth a little. I never actually played the first Builders, I just know a couple of plot details.
Spoil me, how does the end make it weird?

They do if you give them items.

How is VII for the 3ds

Command?

Why did she leave Sup Forums?

What do you mean? It wasn’t a choice.

Best DQ girl by far.

think "War & Peace" of jrpgs. long as fuck everliving fuck but man is it fun

ahahaha that's not even remotely close to being true

It's not fair, I wanted to marry her but now she literally only exists in my dreams.

5>8>4>2>1>3>7>6>9
Sorry DQ3 fans but my taste is objectively right, it's a condition, i can't help it

Man I really want to replay IX but don't know anyone who has it, so I'd lose all the dlc.

Wish I could get over the nagging feel of non-authenticity of emulating.

The possibility is high, considering all mainline until 8 have gotten their remake.

Get a flashcart, save edit the game to unlock all dlcs.

Bianca has horse seed in her womb, Maribele is an unlikable little cunt and Yessica’s hair is fucking retarded and she’s most definitelt the town’s slut.

Medea is great though.

Madea was literally a horse and has no attractive features but her face.

>DQ IX for the Nintendo Switch
>Online co-op
>XI graphics.

Besides being your childhood friend, saving your life and being willing to give up her life just for the Hero’s hapiness, right?

My brother its too late just give up

It's called DQX.

NEVER EVER

that aren't attractive feature, those are redeeming qualities

why did SE do away with monster recruiting system in DQ6?
that didnt make sense to me.

Because it was fucked up and ultimately worthless.

Like a lot of things in V.

Nobody but low IQ retards would miss on party chat for having a monster in a easy game.

Patrician taste.

This. I've gotten used to so many publishers posting a ton of pre-release material to build hype and we have nothing more than "2018".

Any predictions? Name changes? Orchestral soundtrack? Added voice track?

>Name changes
Don’t think so.
>Orchestral
Buy the OST goy, Sugiyama needs more shekels.
>VO
If they don’t add VO i’m going to kill myself.

5 and 6 on DS. 4 on mobile only because the party chat was not included in the DS release but is present in the mobile version. If you don't care about party chat, DS.

Would it be okay to start the series with builders? I could wait for 11, but who knows when it'll come and I don't want to buy full price

>name changes
I am still mad about Gabo becoming Ruff and I don't really know why except that "Ruff" is just low hanging fruit for a wolf boy. DQ is all about alliteration in the west and most of it is very clever, Ruff just isn't. In DQHeroes2 his and Maribel's quest even has him say "something, something or my name's not Ruff. TWICE.
It felt like a slap in the face.

I've seen that the cast is particularly well-liked. A lot of long time fans seem genuinely pleased with the cinematic quality of the PS4 version too, lots of praise for how much personality you get out of the animation and expressions. I haven't seen any declarations of it being the best, but a lack of complaints is promising enough to me considering how the series stays true to form.

Gabo is also low-hanging fruit for a wolf boy.
You just don't think so because it's Japanese low-hanging fruit instead of English low-hanging fruit.

Looking forward to builders 2. Best minecraft clone out there.

Does anyone else here likes Tuppence from DQV?
he's an underrated party member

I don't know japanese and thought Gabo was because he liked to eat more than anything. Are you gonna say the characters aren't from Ireland or Russia next? Thats madness.

I actually found the limitations and demands of the story to be creatively inspiring. The story-mandated space/materials were a springboard for building ideas. I ended up constructing a ridiculous resort in Chapter Two with a penthouse suite for the nun, and did similarly offbeat things in other chapters, but ended up doing nothing in Free Build mode because I was overwhelmed by my options.

Who's that, the soldier?

He's a poor man's Kiryl and Kiryl was awesome.