SaGa 2 challenge (and talk about SaGa in general)

To celebrate Romancing SaGa 2 coming over, let's see how far we can get in SaGa 2 (Final Fantasy Legend II) without grinding. To clarify,
It's been a while since I've played this though, so I might accidentally get a few extra fights in if I get lost, but I'll use maps (I've beaten this before, I don't give a shit.) to try to not do so.

First off, the main character. The first reply's ending number will be used (9 and 0 will be randomly chosen via an RNG). Second, 3 (THREE) ally characters (2 or 3 of the same character type is possible). Again, the last numbers of each of the three subsequent replies (and again, 9 and 0 will be RNG'd). Unlike FFL1/SaGa1, the same characters are used for both the main character and your allies. After that, I'll be playing for a while, posting text updates for minor things (stat boosts and new spells learned), image updates if anything notable happens (plot, dungeons, bosses, rare items (and magi), and if we have one, notable changes in a monster ally (good and bad)), and prompt replies for treasure (i.e. who you want an item, weapon, etc. to go to (except in the case of a monster, who can't hold anything)).

Rules (for me and you if you want to try this):
1) No grinding. Try to kill whatever is encountered, but don't try to go hunting things down on purpose just to raise stats and money.
2) No stores (if possible?). Only use weapons equipment and items obtained via dungeons. Magi uses are fine. Inns can be used (otherwise, I doubt this run could work) but only ONCE upon the party's first visit and when sent to a town via plot. I don't recall needing to spend money in the plot, but if it is mandatory, then I will do so.
3) If a monster is selected in the party, it will eat any found meat after every single battle, NO EXCEPTIONS.
4) Do not give "5th Ally" characters any extra equipment or items

Let's get started.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/606370/Romancing_SaGa_2/
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=63679278
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Always have a mutant female.

(2)
Human Female it is.
(Note that my own personal replies' end numbers do not count in choosing the party).
Give her a pretty 4-LETTER name

Thot

I don't think your thread will make it very far OP

Maybe not.
(6)
Slime. Please name slime.

Muk

This isn't a very hard challenge. I don't think I ever paused to grind in my first playthrough and I made it through just fine. A better idea for a thread would be something like all monsters - at least then people reading the thread could learn something about the most confusing race.

I had legend 2 on gameboy back in the day. game was buggy as fuck but so fun.

RNG has gifted us Mutant M.
Please name him.
(8)
Imp. Please name Imp.

(GODDAMNIT TWO FUCKING MONSTER AND NO ROBOT)

Robots are fun. But you definitely want a mutant on your team as well.

Imp

Imp will be Riki. I'm worried this thread will die long before you reach the end of the game. /vr/ would have been a better home for this.

Okay. Now what do we name the Imp?

>Imp will be Riki.
Okay.
>I'm worried this thread will die long before you reach the end of the game.
I'LL FUCKING SHOW YOU

Pfil

Hey Joe

It would survive longer by virtue of /vr/ being slower, but here is better in the long run.

Oh, this might be fun to watch while I keep on playing through RS2.
S E N S E I
E
N
S
E
I

First fight. A single spider. Nobody raised stats. No meat fell. Because we have two monsters, they will eat on an odd-even basis.

>I'LL FUCKING SHOW YOU
Oh shit. He's determined.
Good luck, OP! I'm rooting for you!

>Romancing SaGa 2
is this the same thing as the gameboy legend 2? store.steampowered.com/app/606370/Romancing_SaGa_2/

Second fight. I'm only noting this because SOMEHOW Mr. S / Sensei missed with dissolve, something I didn't even think was possible.

>changing the music at the jukebox keeps it going even when you leave town

Glorious.

>is this the same thing as the gameboy legend 2
No, it's a different entry with different mechanics, same series though.

No, it's the same thing as SFC/SNES Romancing SaGa 2, but better.
Items obtained:
Cure Potion x 1
Bronze Shield x 1
Who gets what?

Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa and Romancing SaGa are two different subsets of the SaGa series.

>without grinding
1 agi/speed up human boss killer, 1 healer, 1 TANK and INSTANT GAINZ/multitask god monster, then?

No. Same series, different game. The 2nd Game Boy title is just called Final Fantasy Legend II in english; it's called SaGa Hihō Densetsu in japanese. Romancing SaGa were later in the series, and they were the games which originally appeared on the Super Famicom (and never released in NA before).

Also, a shield can raise defense, right? I thought it did, but I don't remember.

Your human should be in front, so give them the shield.

When's romancing saga 2 coming out? Friday?

Is legend ii the one with the crystal bridges and you get to fight Odin, or is it the one with the time travel and the world flooding?

She is in front. How about the potion?

It can level the DEF stat but it's rather rare, especially in early game.

2 is Ashura, Odin, Venus and the others.

Supposedly it can, but the odds seem really low in my experience. You're better off raising defense with something like a defender sword, but you won't get one until later. Shields are still very useful for tanking hits, though.

Yes, Legend 2 is that. Legend 3 is the latter, with mah boi Sol.

Yes
>Is legend ii the one with the crystal bridges and you get to fight Odin
Yeah, that's the one.

Oh, right. You give items to characters.

Can monsters even use items? Have the mutant hold onto the potion for now.

BOI HE BOUT TO DEW IT

>Have the mutant hold onto the potion for now.
I did so he wouldn't feel sad. He also fainted.
Also, no, I tested ahead of time, and sadly they cannot even hold items.

You can't give anything to monsters. If the human has the shield, I think the mutant should have it though you probably will use it from your inventory eventually. Remember to buy at least five stacks of potions when you get to town.

nigga you should look up a chart; nobody ain't got time for transformations that can screw you over.

Oh, this is the more fun one then. I got this as a kid because my dad found it in car he bought when he ran a dealership.
Later on I asked for Legends III because I had already beat II, and my grandma didnt want to buy it because it was super expensive brand new, I think it was like $80 or something ridiculous even in today dollars.

Game came with a booklet, artbook, etc. Was great. Wish I still had the books instead of just the cartridges.

WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT

Does anyone else love the aesthetics of these games? Even on the game boy with a minimalist approach, they still managed to convey an otherwordly feeling. At some points the definite blend of fantasy and sci-fi really shined through.

I thought that was the case. They just change all their slots to whatever monster they become. It's been awhile since I played the game, though, so I don't recall all the mechanics.

Mutants can only hold 4 items (between equipment and items) since the other four slots are reserved for items. Humans can hold 8. I think that robots could hold 8 as well but equipped multiple pieces of armor for their attacks, but don't quite remember how that worked.

I didn't even know he could say this. I don't recall seeing this before.

slurp

They lose half the current durability of whatever weapons/items they equip, but can "regain" the durability up to whatever it was when they equipped it at inns.
i.e. if you equipped a hammer at 46/50 durability, the robot now only has 23 max durability for it, and sleeping at inns can only get it up to 23 durability again, not 25.

The first game in particular blew me away in that regard. It's amazing how they created a believable post-apocalyptic cyberpunk world on the game boy, especially so early in its lifetime. I love how they communicated a lot of the setting through gameplay rather than graphics, like how the invincible bird attacks you on the overworld.

Stat Update:
Thot's Max HP up by 8
Imp acquired Poison resistance.

Who gets the item that lets them punch people: Thot or Imp?

imp

Oh, also, normal ass Bow and Hammer were also found.

Pick fast, we got a boss fight coming (like that means anything).

nigga, HOW COULD YOU NOT HAVE A PARTY OF BABY DUCKS?!

I think the setting and general narrative did a lot to convey the atmosphere.
In SaGa 1 you had a Tower that lead you to different worlds where all kind of shit happened, and sometimes you'd find some really somber things happened while you're travelling up to the last floors, like the diary of the couple where you basically find out an entire family starved to death or they were possibly eaten alive by monsters wile trying to reach the top floor.
SaGa 2 is more light hearted but there's still a lot of details that help shaping up a world, like the starting village where you could see all races coexisting peacefully, like having families of robots or humans and monsters, then you travel to various worlds like the Giants' World where you find out the giants died long ago, or Venus' World which beyond the apparent wealthy society was a sci-fi distopia based on strict eugenics regulated by a super-narcissist dictator, or finding out you can actually die for real after you defeat Odin, meaning that you might have fucked up the natural order of things a bit, all of this in the same multiverse.

SaGa just has really interesting writing and scenarios really.

The RNG has spoken. Plus, they are dragons sadly.

The more you use up a martial art stack, the stronger it gets. Otherwise it does shit damage.

>sometimes you'd find some really somber things happened while you're travelling up to the last floors, like the diary of the couple where you basically find out an entire family starved to death or they were possibly eaten alive by monsters while trying to reach the top floor.
It's worse in the jap/WSC version where you find out that Creator was supposed to take care of the children (but he didn't). Also, you strangely find a nuclear bomb on the corpse of the father, located far down stairs below the rest of the family. Also, the entire world is possibly an illusion and everything you've done (save killing Creator) may have been done by people ahead of you.

If only had he rolled a mech he could have abused the durability exploit with that and walked all over Ashura in one turn.
Yep, it's actually pretty well done world building, especially for a gameboy game that came out in 1989.

I know. I beat the game before and I have SaGa knowledge.
Also, boss died in one hit to the S-man's slickness.

Damn, just look at that total QT.

Riki has ascended to lightning mustache penguin hood.

>he could have abused the durability exploit with that and walked all over Ashura in one turn.
I can't believe I've never tried doing that.

Why aren't you playing the first one?

It had the most kino twist in vidya history.

>i will come with my father
wew, pretty lewd

I editted "back" out of the picture. Although, given the shoddy translation, it's hardly much of a change

Why do you think her father named her Thot?

Mechs break the way in more way than it's humanly possible.
The DS remake did fix that, and also buffed Ashura a good bit so you can't just quite oneshot him even if you try to exploit Martial Arts in the same way, unless you combo four punches at 1 durability I guess, but he should still be able to survive that depending on your party's composition.
It's not meant in that way you filthy banana smuggler

I'm going to treat Ki as an Inn (mostly because I'm getting my ass kicked by jaguars).

>he dropped in, asked about MAGI and left
This reaction though is killing me.

Stat update: Thot's Max HP up by 15 (not bad)

Bahahaha yes it totally was

IS that robopon?

Imp's Max HP up by 11.
...and THIS PILE OF SHIT

>No robot

lol

2 more worlds of this shit

No, but pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=63679278 is.

Come on user, you have more or less 400 posts left until you finish the game and you haven't even kicked Ashura's ass.
Get your shit together.

At least they haven't turned into a Fly.

Who gets this? If you don't give me a name, you're the one who will. On the ass.

You give it to Thot, why do you even ask?

>3) If a monster is selected in the party, it will eat any found meat after every single battle, NO EXCEPTIONS.
FUCK I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST A BABYWYRM WITH 80-ISH HP FOR THIS

Because Imp still has equipment space, despite it being a bad idea to give him much stuff to begin with.

Why are you playing the shitty garbage GB version and not the DS remake which is fully fantranslated?

Okay, never mind.
>"Hmm I have a resistance to poison and attack-all-enemies ice magic, what should I learn next?"
Goddamn.

Your rules man.
That way you can't even exploit Ashura.
The DS game takes way longer to complete.

GB version is better.

Sorry, forgot pic.
Because it's quicker. And I'm playing that on my own time.

That's a fair argument I can respect, but it also plays a lot more like a SaGa game. The GB originals (1 and 2 especially) aged like milk and feel like pre-alpha versions of what SaGa is.
SaGa didn't get its own identity until Romancing SaGa, also the remakes of 2 and 3 remedied that.
I will never not be salty that 1 doesn't have a remake.
>inb4 bbut Wonderswan
It barely did anything and didn't actually remake shit. It uses the same tilesets and sprites, just colorized and features marginal gameplay improvements. It's more of an enhanced port than a remake, it's also stuck on world's second worst handheld ever made after Virtual Boy.

And you're an idiot, the DS version is objectively better.

>no chests with heal potions
>thot keeps fucking dying
>blizzard only has a few charges left
On the bright side.

>the DS version is objectively better.
You keep on thinking that, champ.

Imp's Max HP up by 15
Also, all is (almost) forgiven for him (I'd have preferred a cure/heal spell, but this is also fine).

Why not play the remake of saga 2 on the DS? shits been translated for ages OP.

>world's second worst handheld
Don't talk smack about the WonderSwan, man. It'll give your ass a pounding for 24 hours straight on a single AA battery.

see

You wont make it past Apollo, and if you do Shogun will get you

That was a normal thing for portable devices back then though. Nokia 3310 could last a month if you didn't overuse it, and on constant use it literally gave you a full week's worth of time without charging.
The more complex and power hungry technology got, the shittier battery lifetime got, it's normal.

The Wonderswan had quite a lot of nice games, including Wild Card, I wouldn't call it a bad handheld at all.
It is a lot better than the original on the sole virtue of getting rid of most bugs and exploit of the original.

>Babywrym turned to jaguar
please no