Gonna be playing this and the rest of the series soon. Anything I should know?

Gonna be playing this and the rest of the series soon. Anything I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lGf2b1H91JA?t=1m25s
youtube.com/watch?v=T5_O_2VGRiQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't, it's fucking garbage.

Just play 3 and walk away

Just prepare for a lot of disappointment

the controls and graphics have aged like milk

Play 1, enjoy the happy ending Snake gets. Ignore 2 and 4. Play 3 after that and then pretend the series ended there.

>never played the game:the posts
At least try to come up with constructive criticism

I honestly wish I could go back in time and do this.

If you actually love MGS1 don't play V you'll regret it trust me. People will tell you it's good they lie though.

take off those rose tinted coke bottles and replay them. the graphics are shit. the controls are clunky and even more shit.

This is the true metal gear experience. Take this advice.

Play it in the correct order.
>Metal Gear Solid 4
>Portable Ops
>Metal Gear 1
>Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
>Metal Gear Acid
>Metal Gear Solid 2
Skip Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3, they aren't canon.

Play in release order.

When I played through this with the Legacy collection on PS3 one of the most enjoyable things was seeing how each release evolved in terms of gameplay and technical design.

Peace Walker isnt a must-play. I got a few hours in and gave up on it. Just play it to see what it's like, then read a summary of the story or watch the cinematic only cut on youtube then move on to MGSV.

Enjoy.

Kill yourself braindead kojima cocksucker. Fucking autistic anime story coupled with shit gameplay is not worth wasting time on.

>the graphics are shit
Nah. Everything is distinguishable. It's part of the charm
>clunky
How the fuck is it clunky? It has the most basic mechanics in series

Play the original trilogy then nothing else

MGS: good shit
MGS2: also good, just not as much
MGS3: unironically the best in the series
MGS4: shitty gameplay but a great way to end the main story
MGS5: do not even consider it a part of the franchise. It is fun tho.

Also don't forget to play Peace Walker, it is just as good as MGS3.

Reccommended order:

MGS-MGS3-MGSPW-MGS2-MGS4

>PW
>just as good as MGS3

>Play in release order.
this.
Dobn't believe the shitposting PW is a great game, though you have to remember it was a portable game.
MSV will kill your soul as the story is cancer, but it is a good game

I don't need series rankings, I'll be playing the games and judging for myself regardless. I just need to know if there's any tips or anything else worth knowing about before going in.

>OP preps to play greatest game series of all time
>nu-Sup Forums shitlords crawl out of the woodwork to trash it and nitpick
>mfw

youtu.be/lGf2b1H91JA?t=1m25s

Play the series in chronological order, but maybe skip MG1 and 2 and just read the synopsis of it. The series is fucking excellent and Kojambles is master ruseman

I mean. As someone who played the game at least a dozen times back in 1998, I can honestly say I tried replaying MGS1 in college and it kinda sucked. I wish I hadn't.

>MGS4: shitty gameplay
are you retarded, 4 has the best stealth out of the entire series, had the best gun mechanics until 5 too.

worse gameplay is 3, take 3 steps, change camo, take 5 steps eat food, menu, menu. menu

MGS4 has some of the smoothest game play in the series the problem is there's not much of it

It's cool. I already know to play chronological, and I know what to expect with 4 and V. I already got the story synopsis on MG1 and 2 since I wasn't really interested in playing them.

>ignore 2

lmao at retards in this thread

MGS4 is great, and the story in it is great. its greatest flaw is that it didn't have enough gameplay to balance it.

Yes, there is a lot to know. in mgs1 ( play the ps1 version) call codec and take your time and dont rush. There is a lot of cool shit in mgs1 but i don't know should i spoil them for you. They are kinda hard to find tho.

Aside from the framerate the gameplay of MGS4 is excellent.
MGSV still has the best controls in the series though.

The first game is pretty all right and mindless fun but ends up leaving you wanting more which it will never deliver

>chronological
no
you really shouldn't, release order is far better. you will see the game and story both evolve, and it's just the way it's meant to be.

what you should know:

1) Kojima gets his little yellow dick hard for cinema, so these games are essentially movies first and games second (with the exception of MGS5 because he was trying to do both good game + good story but he only got as far as the good game part)

2) you will have the most fun if you can easily suspend your disbelief for things that are james bond-level campy

3) don't be afraid to go back and watch cutscenes you already watched or read up on plot elements you didn't get the first time, because Kojima's ruses are hard to decipher sometimes but you'll have the most fun with the series if you keep up with the story as you go along

also quiet best girl

Except it delivered in 5 great sequels you dumb cunt.

I played every game in the series lol

>when brainlets become too jaded

Mgs sucks lol

lol this

lmao!!!

>I already know to play chronological
For fucks sake please don't do that, it will ruin everything.
Play it on relase order.
Play Ps1 mgs1 (dont play twin snakes), then
mgs2 then mgs3.
There is a lot i could tell, but it might spoil something. Example, hit woman in face once in a cave that have a small wolf, and after that hide in a box. Wait so that cub wolf piss on your box and after that wearing that makes wolfs like you.

You replied to the wrong post, but I know. I meant "not to". Also, Twin Snakes looked silly and I have no access to it anyhow, so yeah.

Enjoy the ladder.

>OP wants to play series, asks for tips
>redditors, gaffers and truly epic memelords try to stir shit
no wonder this board rarely talks about games

Would you climb a mountain only to, knowingly, fall off a cliff?

I wish i could come and play mgs games with you and tell some trivia, i did so last year with my pal and i really miss that time. Also ingnore most of these posts in this thread, they are talking nonsense.

mgs 5 is pretty good, you should definitely pick that one up.

it's an objectively bad series

Grey Fox should have been black.

Also some game tips, in mgs1, when you throw enemy at the ground, walk just over the waist and wait him to get up, while tapping a square button fast, to get him in choking hold, tap over 11 times to kill him, less to make him see stars.
You can also drag him around and stuff.

MGS1 has aged the poorest. Its got excellent characters, story and atmosphere though. Its all probably the best in the series except maybe story. Even then story would probably be second best in the series only because...

MGS2 has the best story. If you take the story too literally, as in you want it to make sense to the rest of the series for lore purposes, then this games story would be second best. The characters are even more crazy and super powered but most important of all it took the gameplay in MGS1 and refined the shit out of it in a way I've seen few sequels do since. Probably the best in the series. This should have been the last in the series but...

MGS3 pretty much had to be made due to whiny fan demand. With that said though this game attempted to do something far different from the predecessors and both succeeds and fails at what it sets out to do. It is a great game but it actually surprises me it isn't more controversial since it was such a change. The story and codecs is the same old song and dance like in previous games but its the gameplay that is a real noticeable change here. This may sound like I'm very critical of the game but its actually good. I think too many in the fanbase just wanted to play as Snake regardless so any faults get overlooked. It might even be the best one in the series depending on how you look at it. Also beware that Mary Sue in this game is real and she is pretty much god of this entire franchise. Things should have been wrapped up here until...

whats a game

>Anything I should know?
Remember this ass

MGS4 just had to fucking be made because Konami, fanboy faggots and Kojima not wanting to just let go. This is easily the worst game in the franchise even despite the fact that it has gameplay much improved and refined from MGS3. The levels, acts in this game, are without a doubt the worst most boring shit across all games. The cutscene length here is also by far the worst its ever been. You will be actually watching a movie by the time you get to the end. The cutscene at the end really is that long. Quite possibly an hour or so of just sitting down watching the end of the game. It also took the already overdone camp in previous games and turned it up to obnoxiously stupid levels. Making it all even worst since the graphics are no longer psuedo anime. So everything has a real uncanny valley and strange feel to it in this game thanks to this. Basically it looks too good now to be ridiculous so this is yet another thing that hurts it. Old Snake was cool I guess. Very little redeeming qualities. It was actually surpassed oddly enough by a PSP game called...

MGSPW or Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. This game was pretty okay. It feels way too repetitive after awhile and it doesn't even feel as if it should be canon to the series most of the time but even then its still alright. The gameplay is a downgrade from MGS4 but the CQC perhaps ironically might be the best its been in this game of all things. I think just take this game and accept it for what it is and you'll probably enjoy it more. So then that only leaves us with...

MGSV, this time we swear it guys. We swear this is the last one kek. It won't be of course because MGS is Konami's cash cow. Better gameplay than MGS 3, 4 and PW. Its now open world to just like all your favorite modern games. The story? Well that shit died with MGS2. Maybe MGS3 although that is a prequel. For some they may even say the story dies with MGS1. Just stop caring about the story of these games after MGS3 I say.

Well finally someone who understands the series.
Tho i would say MGS1 has aged well, even my pc-only friend said that it looks aesthetic, and game play is also solid, thought it might be a little hard to get into. I'm really thorn about is mgs1 or mgs2 story better. I like how MGS1 story could easily stand alone in story wise, but MGS2 had really good story too. Are you american by the way?

So in conclusion OP, Kojima is a hack. He is now peddling his men can give birth to children movie...oops, I mean "game" that has yet to show any gameplay. MGS 1-3 are all great and all have their own issues but Kojima had help in making these games great. His later games show he's never really had it the way people thought he did. The gameplay improved for the most part the more the series progressed but eventually the story reached a plateau. The biggest crime though imo is the level design that became so memorable for the older games just went out the window for most of the later games. Level design probably peaked with MGS3 and mostly declined after that. MGS4 was a very steep decline. A straight down decline in level design. PW has better levels but its also an odd game compared to the rest. MGSV doesn't have levels. Its open world. So they threw out level design with this game. It becomes more a matter of is the open world a good open world since there is no true level or linear open area design for this game.

That is my summarized thoughts, blog of the games OP. Spoiler free just for you nigga.

lol shut up you whiny faggot they're just games (all good ones, umad?)

Wrong.

I forgot to mention that the music in MGS1 is also the best but I tried to keep my posts under the limit so I could narrow it to two posts.

Maybe MGS 1-3 are all equally good. they sure are above what came afterwards. Tons of wasted potential.
Nope sorry, not sorry but those other MGS games aren't as good as they should have been. Wasted potential is what they are. They damaged the franchise.

>Are you american by the way?

Canadian actually. I overlooked your question. I agree with what you said about how MGS1 can almost stand as its own game with how it was handled.

best masterpiece ever .. 5 is not canon though

MGSV is underrated. The story is flawed, but Venom Snake is an actually interesting character and seeing how he evolves is really fucking cool. Also the gameplay is perfect even if the open world is mediocre.

I only asked if you are an american, because of the meme that americans hate MGS2, because they can't understand the story. So i was wondering if some american actually had opinion like that, but not this time i quess.
I'm finnish by to way, and stereotypically i am drunk right now. What's the time in there anyway?

Even thought MGS1 english dub might be arguably better, i love japanese liquid. skip to 1:46 to hear that HAH.
youtube.com/watch?v=T5_O_2VGRiQ

I think its because Americans just like shitty products in general. Anything in media that forces them to think deeper or reflect usually gets panned by them I've noticed. They eat shit up like Rocky movies, generic action flicks and capeshit. Even the new Star Wars movies are getting these absurd reviews yet Sup Forums has been absolutely furious how bad they are. Americans seem to care about just the hype with little care for substance. They also pick the dumbest reasons or sometimes even just meme reasons to justify hate on certain things rather than being more fair and critical.

Its 1:12 for me right now.

too bad he's the "big boss" you kill in MG1 and thus becomes a character that everyone finds to be irrelevant because nobody plays MG1 or MG2

i like him but the fact that you're a big boss lookalike who's convinced that he is big boss blows my mind. there's so many signs and hints that the game gives you but by the time the game is over, it's too late

It's been a while that i saw a rocky movie, but wasn't the first one pretty good and down to earth?
> Americans seem to care about just the hype with little care for substance.
I think this is how most people think when it comes to entertainment, My sister still watches walking dead, which is for what i have seen just ridiculously bad.
It's also scary how close MGS2 came about...everything.
It's 8:32 in here.

I bought into the delusion that PW is a good game. My god that was awful, both in story and gameplay.

Big Boss turned straight up Gary Stu in PW.
The game itself has no interesting boss, nor stage.

and it doesn't affect the plot in any real interesting way

Have a lot of coffee near an arm's reach.

Kojima is a hack, don't bother.

Meanwhile, at the (shit) RE thread

Yeah, Kojima can be pretty based at times. He retweeted this 7hours ago

Portable ops worth playing?

ITT:
>MGS1 has pixelized graphics, that means it aged like milk
>MGS2 explores some pretty basic concepts regarding the internet, hype, etc. that Kojima just took from some books and repurposed for a video game with a twist, this means that the game is shit and 2deep5u
>MGS3 has no faults

Nearly everyone here is a fucking moron. Play MGS1->MGS2->MGS3 first, these are all pretty much amazing and all have shittones of great moments. The gameplay in 1 is great but it is evolved with 2 and 3. Then you can either stop or go on to play MGS4 and Peace Walker if you are interested. V has amazing gameplay but it is NOT the best in the series, and it has crippling issues with repetitiveness and other, smaller things that become really shit when compounded on each other. The plot of V is the worst written thing in the franchise, non-canon Ghost Babel and Portable Ops included.

tl;dr play the first three and get your dick hard, then maybe check out whatever came after, with the knowledge that Peace Walker is the best out of the remaining ones

Play in release order. Skip MG1-2 if you want, MGS1 kinda retcons those two. Also I repeat, PLAY IN RELEASE ORDER. you won't get the same experience if you play in chronological order