Now that the dust has settled

Now that the dust has settled

Was it actually better than Mario 64?

Not even close.

Less groundbreaking, but in some respects, better.

Game blows. Using Kazooie to talon trot is boring and the jumping is lethargic. The first level is actually well-designed, but the rest of the stages are overly large and ugly green/brown.

Game is a good indicator for people who have bad taste in platformers. I was impressed with the flying as a kid, but it feels slow as shit now; also, it is pure shit compared to wingcap.

In some ways but not overall. Mario's movement abilities give him the edge. It's what motivates me to replay it more than BK.

>it is pure shit compared to wingcap.
false
Kazooie has better turning mechanics, and the beak bomb is better for gaining speed

What does this game do better than Super Mario 64?

Not having to exit the level after picking up a major collectible.

Physics-wise no, otherwise presentation-wise it makes SM64 look like an unfinished beta-phase concept.

Best in-between you'll get is Odyssey.

Leagues superior in everything but controls.

the graphics of both suck compared to modern games

unique environments and music

Environments

This Odyssey is basically Nintendo making Banjo Threeie
>Moving from some transformations in Kazooie, a transformations in every world in Tooie, and then a new snappy transformation mechanic in Odyssey
>Moving from exploring Grunty's Lair to Exploring the Isle O' Hags to Globetrotting is a very natural progression
>By far the most extensive moveset of any Mario title
>They added in a googly eyed companion for Mario
>The Chaotic artstyle is reminiscent of Banjo imo
>Interconnected worlds ala Tooie
>Multiplayer with each player controlling either Mario or Cappy feels like a natural progression of the split up mechanic from Tooie
I swear to fucking god, It's Banjo-Threeie: Mario Edition

Visuals
Fun characters
Non-slippery movement
Level-design
Loads of decent minigames

Speedrun platforming-flexibility is really what Mario had over Banjo.

Mario 64 has better controls but what the ask you to do with those superior controls isn't as fun. Banjo has much more basic controls but what the game asks you to do is much more fun than in Mario 64.

BK is better, but only because SM64 pioneered the leap to 3D.

I definitely enjoyed BK more as a kid, and is undeniably more polished.

I liked both games.
Anybody here who disliked both games have an opinion on which is better?

fpbp

Mario 64 was a complete joy to play and using all of his fancy new moves to explore all these (at the time) huge open worlds was incredibly fun. Banjo was by comparison pretty clunky the moment you begin the game and new moves don't really do much to fix that

If Banjo Kazooie had Mario's movement it would've been the better game.

LOL. You can only turn "better" because the flying is painfully slow and momentumless. Absolutely unimpressive. You are lying if you find flying in BK better than wingcap. Beak bomb is acquired too late in the game and is basically an air thrust that makes flying into a ugly jerky motion.

In Super Mario 64, Mario can jump and slowly descend to the ground. Or he can triple jump to fly. Or he can get launched from a cannon to fly. Banjo only gets launched, which again is quite inferior to being shot out of a cannon.

Buck Bumble and Donkey Kong 64 (jetpack) let you make turns even better than both games. BK flying is simplistic and sterile compared to all the other games mentioned. Turning by itself doesn't up the fun factor.
Environments are ugly for a lot of stages. Conker 64 had a shit colored stage but that was for a shit level. Why does Banjo get a pass for making the player navigate through sewer water and barf color swamps? The mechanical component of the environment is far less interactive than Super Mario 64 since Banjo can't even wall jump or turtleshell ride amongst a myriad of other handicaps.

The music is good in Banjo, but better than SM64 is just lies.
>Visuals
Then why the ugly stages? The doodads scattered in BK uglify the stage.
>Fun characters
I'll give you this one.
>Level-design
Large stages to boringly talon trot through isn't engaging. Nor are the numerous mounds and columns to dryly jump and plop onto. .
The only moment I recall that outdid SM64 is when you have to go through all the rings before time runs out in the giant shark.

This is true
One of the main reasons Mario was and still is the best is because Nintendo just gets the physics right every single time

There are a few Nintendo platformers with very meh physics though Wario Land 1 for example

It was never a question. Banjo Kazooie beats the dogshit out of M64.

everything but the physics are better

>The music is good in Banjo, but better than SM64 is just lies.
Banjo had unique music for each area while Mario recycles songs