Wow only 9 hours

Wow only 9 hours

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-mtcfkWDbOU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

/thread

Woah so this... is the power of half an A press

this meme was never funny

What fascinates me is that he found all this stuff. Like how the hell do you manage to discover building up warp speed by pressing against a specific wall for hours so that you can enter a parallel universe?

>yfw diagonal PU movement

Not to sound mean but-
Autism. Autism is probably why.

yet

>Its not considered a full "A" press because you just held A down longer

???

t. """"""""Henry"""""""""

It's not considered a full A press since you don't release the button

Fuck off

A press is a press

you round up when single segment and down when it is a full play though. Like if you got three stars all while holding the A button that isn't three separate A presses since it never ended

codebase and platform reverse engineering.
the PU stuff is literally just the wraparound of numbers, it's not hard to predict certain outcomes based on those limits, i imagine the hardest part of that was discovering circumstances that produced unbounded incrementation.... but obviously if youre trying to break the game, figuring out what hex represents the movement variables and just having those hex viewable as you search for conditions that produce unbounded incrementation... it's not like it just happened by accident one day.

I don't know why, but it makes me mad knowing this guy has so much spare time that he can fuck around doing things like this.

my guess is different glitches kept causing him to clip through walls in a strange way (later known as "failed QPU jumps") and he tried to figure out the programming behind what he saw

>Holds A down for the entire time
???

it is but you're just not going to argue with a guy who literally broke open a n64 game enough to TAS a certain enemy to a certain location then wallhump for 6 hours to get enough speed to teleport to another universe of the map to get slightly higher and eventually reach a star he could have jumped to normally just so he could see if he could read it in as little inputs as possible.

This guy can probably make an thesis class about just this game and this one trick. Just let him do whatever the fuck he wants and let go.

If you're wondering about the half A press, read this before commenting to ask why. I use a special notation that allows for half A presses. Specifically, if you enter a level already holding the A button, then that A press only counts as half. It's actually pretty important to distinguish between the A button being PRESSED and the A button being HELD. While pressing A allows Mario to execute several kinds of jumps, the holding of A allows Mario to swim in water, do little kicks up slopes, grab the owl, and twirl slowly. So if a star requires the A button to be held, the pressing of the A button could have been done at some point in the past, and just held until that moment. For instance, let's say there are two stars: one that requires the A button to be pressed (1x A presses), and another that only requires the A button to be held (0.5x A presses). Individually, these stars would both require a full A press. But if these stars were collected one after the other, then the A button could be pressed during the former, and held all the way through to the next star to be used in the latter. In this manner, these stars together would only use 1 A press, whereas they would take 2 A presses if done individually. So during a 120 star run, you would round these half A presses down, but on a star-by-star basis you would round them up.

Doesn't the raw hardware logic consider it as an A input on every single frame when you hold the button though?
Going for the least amount of A presses that way would mean having A held for the least amount of overall frames possible (ex. a 1 frame A-Press for a jump when needed would be optimal)

Can you do it faster?

Yeah it takes me like 25 seconds to beat that level

That just depends on how you choose to categorize it. "Fewest frames inputting A" would be an even more stringent challenge.

Same strat? Damn that's impressive! Can't wait for the video!

He didn't press the button while in the level though, he only held it down. That doesn't cause a jump to happen, it just retains some of the momentum

>Travels diagonally in the PU grid

First, you have to understand the multiverse.
youtube.com/watch?v=-mtcfkWDbOU