Romancing SaGa 2

Well the PC port is awful, but at least you can use Big Picture for your controller and resize the window manually.
Man Gerard got some style after the opening chapter.
Also, hows the fan trasnlation of RS3? I heard that the spanish patch is actually better translated and less buggy, any truth to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wThvnHgt9L8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So what is this game? Worth playing?

If you like JRPGs but want to get away from the traditional formula this game and the rest of the SaGa games can get pretty wild at times.
For starters: No levels, no random battles, grinding too much is punished, nonlinearity, save anywhere, gear and proper use of status effects can make the difference, permadeath for party members and a generational system of sorts, if you MC dies you take on a heir and keep going at it.

It will fuck you up if you are not careful, but I say its worth at least trying out to see if its your cup of tea.

It's cool

Its the switch version good

How can i get the new/secret dungeon? want to go there asap to grind shit and unlock stuff. Gerard generation just ended.

The only problems with this port is supposedly
>no fullscreen options
and
>no controller support
You can fix both easily. Press F11 for fullscreen and in steam go to View> Settings> Controller > General Controller Settings and check ps4 or xbox, that fixed all controller detection for me.

The other thing that isn't a problem but is stupid and annoying is they left in the 2 to 4 (dependent on which screen you're looking at) big phone buttons for menu and dash.
When will they learn with this shit? One fucking toggle to turn them off is not too much to ask.

Still not worth boycotting like some retards are doing.

Anyone else experiencing input lag on switch?

Is there some kind of HP healing magic of sorts? Just using Balms have worked on boss fights so far as well as just blasting random encounters before anyone dies

not that I can remember.
the only healing ability I can think of right now in a saga game was the Alkaiser move that costed 1 LP and healed the whole party

You mean a basic healing spell? The male court mage starts with one when you recruit him.

>it's another squareenix botches a simple snes port thread
Fan translation patch when?

What is botched?

>Fan translation
>SNES RS2
Maybe when hell freezes.

I played a lot of this Touhou fangame and I'm told it has a lot of similarities to the game in the OP. Would I like it?

who cares game is addictive as fuck

yes,its so inspired by SaGa games its almost a ripoff
hell there are even Touhou romhacks of RS3

There's only two healing spells in RS2, Healing Waters and Earth Heal under the Water and Heart schools respectively.
Balms and potions are only meant to be used in the very early sections of the game where you don't have easy access to either of those spells, they're not viable outside of the first hour of the game.
Also, there's no AoE healing spell in the game, SaGa in general has almost no AoE spells and if there are they're extremely costly and they're basically an emergency option.
Yeah, the Tohou SaGa clones like Genius of Sappheiros are basically SaGa games with a Tohou skin, they're made by hardcore SaGa fans, even a lot of attacks or enemy sprites are taken directly from SaGa.

Slight correction since I'm retarded, there's three healing spells, Healing Waters(Water), Earth Heal(Earth) and Moonlight(Light).

Doesnt sun had a one too??

It has a couple references to the series. Mechanics wise though it blends only a few of RS3 aspects together with more traditional systems. It doesn't have the abstract progression,leveling or battle rank though, and makes up for it with very elaborate boss battles.

I think you'll like it if you enjoy tactical turn based combat.

Are there any items to restore MP? I have Ares in my party now and I pretty much only use wind magic to level it up.

check out your storage room

Oh ok. I didn't even check because I thought nothing would be in there.

>No leveling

Well shit. How does this work? How do you gain new skills?

Yeah, that's Moonlight, I don't know why the localization calls the Light school Sun but it's there.
Other than those three spells there's two ways to restore heal, one is using martial arts and the Focus Chi waza, which has a self HP restore effect, the other is using the Life Drain wind spell, which comes later on in the game once you reach 20+ proficiency in the Wind school.
If you choose the Female empress as last heir at the beginning of the game her own unique Greatsword also allows her to cast Moonlight from the weapon instead of using one of your spell slots.
Check your storage for those, some enemies also tend to drop various herbs like Relaxing Herbs which tend to restore both WP and JP under different conditions, certain herbs for instance can only be used by one gender.
Keep in mind that at the beginning of each new generation your storage gets a new batch of healing items, it would be wise to sell off all the balms you have in there for a bit of extra cash since they're basically worthless.

Hitting things. Characters randomly gain hp and weapon/magic skill (translates into more wp/sp and more damage I think) and using attacks gives you a chance to spark a new attack

Dude what
Romancing Saga 1, Saga Frontier 2, The Last Remnant all had healing spells, and that's off the top of my head

Wasn't the original on the SNES and JP only? How many games are in this series, and is this a good starting point?

I really don't wanna pay $27 maplebux for a digital game..

Just pirate it. Port isn't good enough to warrant full price anyways.

Never played this one but 3rd one had one heal spell for every magic school

3 SaGa games, 3 Romancing SaGa games, 2 SaGa Frontier games and a ton of spiritual successors

Best starting point imo is either Saga frontier 2 or the ps2 remake of romancing saga 1

And yes the snes versions of the romancing saga games used to jp only tho RS3 got a fan translation

SaGa works in a similar way to TES, but unlike TES things actually work in here.

Your characters get better at things by doing them, if you use swords a lot for instance that character will hit things harder and better with swords, or their strength will grow accordingly if the game uses a variable stat system instead of a proficiency one.
The more you use certain weapons the more techniques you'll learn for those, and by using certain techniques you'll learn new, powerful variations.
Spells also get stronger the more you use them, often gaining additional effect, in RS2 for instance, once you reach a lvl18(iirc) proficiency in the Fire school of magic your basic Fireball spell will not only be more powerful, it will also create a AoE explosion on hit that damages all enemies.
>How many games are in this series
There are 12 games in the series, not counting the remakes.
>and is this a good starting point?
No, in fact it's one of the harder games in the series.
But it's perfectly doable if you're not a wimp.

I've played Grandia and this is sounding eerily similar to how you level up your skills. Is getting certain skills completely random or is it just spamming the same skills to level them up?

Is this the type of game where you can play pretty casually through the story or do you have to really work hard and attempt to min/max or whatever to get the most out of the game? Either way I already bought the game just to support it.

the last boss is noteworthy for brutally fucking casual players in the ass, complete with point of no return.
So you should probably watch out for that. It's that THAT hard but you have to try a bit

it's random, your odds don't get better over time. You get better odds the stronger the ennemy is relative to you tho.

Higher weapon skill level helps you learn better techniques, some techniques are also upgrades of weaker ones and you can learn those by using the base technique.
Once you "spark" techs, those will be available for the next generation if the character that learned it didn't die, and you will be able to learn them instantly by speaking with the trainer at the castle.
You can't learn magic through fighting, you can only do by researching spells are your magic academy, after you do they are freely available to any character, but if they character has bad skill at the magic type, then the spell effectiveness will drop.

>switch and pc players are so desperate for games they have to play this janked up atari style garbage
It's not even the 3D port and runs on a mobile jesus I'm glad I didn't buy a switch and use my PC for business purposes only

Grandia basically copied the SaGa proficiency system, so yes, it's very similar, only a bit more complex than that.
>Is getting certain skills completely random
It has a random factory, you don't level up things.
Basically, each time you attack things the game rolls a dice to determine whether you'll learn a new skill, this is counterbalanced by many other mechanics, if you fight a really strong enemy for instance the game "fixes" the dice roll in your favour giving you high chances of learning new skills, some other advanced skills also receive a learning chance bonus if you use certain other skills, some skills can only be learned by using others and so on.
>where you can play pretty casually
No, you HAVE to learn how to play the game and actually care about how you play through and build your characters and fight through things, this isn't DQ or FF where you just buy the next equipment batch in the new town and call it a day.
>Once you "spark" techs, those will be available for the next generation if the character that learned it didn't die
Even if that character died they will still be available in the next generation, what's important is that any new skill sparked in a generation won't be available until a new generation shift occurs, which is one of the reasons you should try not to die so often since you'd "lose" progress, in a way.

Why no RS1?

Because the game has been remade for the PS2 ages ago, it came out as Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song in the west.

But wasn’t the PS2 one terrible?

No?
It's one of the very best in the series.

There's 3 SaGa games on GameBoy (called Final Fantasy Legend 1/2/3 in the west).
The first one has a Japan-only remake on WonderSwan Color (GBA's competitor in Japan that ultimately failed and died), but it also has a fantranslation available.
The second and third have Japan-only remakes on DS, fantranslations for both are also available.

Then there's Romancing SaGa 1/2/3 on SNES, but only the third one has a fantranslation available while 1 and 2 are untranslated.
First one has a remake on PS2 available officially in English.
Second one has a remaster (the one that just came out) available on basically everything but 3DS, also officially in English.
Third one is getting same type of remaster as the second next year, but I'd say we won't see it in English until 2019.

Then there's SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 on PSX, both officially in English.

Then you've got Unlimited SaGa, a very experimental spinoff of the series on PS2, available officially in English. It's controversial because it's REALLY EXPERIMENTAL and tries a lot of innovation that doesn't sit well with many people, it's also extremely complex.

There's also the Emperors SaGa, a Japan-only mobile game and Imperial SaGa, a Japan-only web browser game, both are pretty bad spinoffs.

And finally there's The Last Remnant, which is basically a SaGa Gaiden title, available officially in English on both X360 and PC, but the PC version is a remaster that features a lot of improvements mechanically, bugfixes and is overall the only version worth playing.

And then there's SaGa Scarlet Grace, a Japan-only Vita game, no fantranslation available though the series creator says he wants to bring it to the west somehow.

The best starting points I'd say are SaGa 2 DS remake and Frontier games on PS1, but really you can start with any of them since just like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, these games are completely unrelated to eachother and fully standalone.

You're thinking of Unlimited SaGa, another PS2 SaGa title but that one ain't a remake.

that was Unlimited Saga, and its actually not a bad game
that being said it feels more like a tabletop game rather than a JRPG

I liked you more when you posted "spark your way out of this one SaGay fags"
that one made me chuckle

>CTRL+F beginner
>CTRL+F entry
Alright, taking the risk. What's a good entry point? Played The Last Remnant (though didn't finish it) and had fun. Plenty of people in TLR threads said it's a poor man's SaGa.

Have a computer capable of emulation, if required.

Literally 3 posts above you.

Where should I go next, does the desert have good shit? can you spark on encounters in the maze of memories?

forgot pic

There technically are still levels, its just that they're not the typical "Gain 10 exp, level up when reaching 230 exp, distribute stats randomly" setup. Leveling up in SaGa games mostly works behind the scenes, and YOU have to make sure your party levels up the way you want it to rather than relying on the game to do it for you.

>Where should I go next
Wherever you want, the desert has the city of Tereluteva and various stuff related to it, You can also go to the island of Komulune by going east once you enter the Jungle of Saramat east of the Steppes, if you go south there's the village of Eilunep, further south you get into the south easter regions but you won't be able to access the city of Yu Yang unless you take a boat from Tereluteva, even though you do unlock a shortcut to go back to Saramat.
You can also reach the frozen lands in the south of the Saigo Clan's territory.
>can you spark on encounters in the maze of memories?
Yeah, but I don't suggest you to go there right now because the Maze of Memories is structured in a particular way, and it's really NG+ content, especially because most of the stuff in there is hard to kill without knowing what to do, and the floors have fixed BR, meaning that you'll be wasting your time on lower floors and at some point you'll be fighting pretty powerful stuff that might kill you for good.
You can also spark stuff much better by playing through the main game, nothing outside of the special bosses have really high rank, and those special bosses are very strong and not worth the risk, might as well abuse things like the Sentinel or the Giant in the ruins.
Good job on beating Bokuohn, I suppose you got his easy form, but that's one in the bag.

I actually encountered the giant right when you posted. I haven't sparked in a while so I'm hoping to get new abilities.

Remember to make space for new stuff in your slots.
Also, be careful with the giant since it can easily ohko multiple characters in one go, it might be a tough fight but the reward is really worth it

>randomly gain hp and weapon/magic skill
Oh, so basically final fantasy 2 style. Yikes.

Anybody played the vita version, is is just mobile too?

FFII is basically the forefather of SaGa.

If I learn a skill but then delete it before the next generation comes, do I still have it next gen? I saw through blunt strike which seems nice in certain situations, but I want to delete it to make room to learn more

Not really. Often in Final Fantasy II to trigger a HP boost you'd have to get more towards critical HP during the battle to net some HP which isn't the case in SaGa.

I just started Unlimited SaGa as Judy. How do I git gud?

Dropping the game.

You do it through perseverance.

>Maybe when hell freezes.
youtube.com/watch?v=wThvnHgt9L8
THE END
1997/1998 SQUARE

>If I learn a skill but then delete it before the next generation comes, do I still have it next gen?
Yes, don't worry about it, as soon as you spark it it goes into the list of new stuff you'll find in the next generation, embedded Weapon waza also stay in there as soon as you spark them.
Also, not many people are aware of this, but the garbage bin actually doesn't trash item, rather, it sends them to your storage, this is pretty useful for a certain part of the game where you find a heavy item.
Judy has a magic heavy scenario and isn't really all that good for beginners since magic is very complex, DO NOT take Judy's Familiars out, they're unique to her and Familiars are the only way you can learn panels at a human pace, DO NOT take out Tablet panels until you've learned every spells from them, Judy especially is one of the very few characters that comes with a Forbidden Tablet panel, which is EXTREMELY rare.
Other than that, you need to learn how to play the game, at all levels, from character building, to exploration and battle, it's not easy to do so because the game is extremely complex, and if you actually want to explore the depth of the system it will take you hundreds of hours to do so because the game allows insane depth and versatility, if you do come across a certain panel called Magic Blender, do get it because it allows you to fuse spells to create new ones, you can't play as a magician without a Magic Blender because all the really good stuff like Crimson Flare or Siren are locked behind spell fusion.

Oh, the only reason I picked Judy in the first place was that I've heard her quest was short and easy for beginners. Which would you recommend as a first quest?

Man it has been a long time. If I remember it right, more HP protects you against LP loss against most magic and normal physical attacks, better armor protects you against LP damage from "piercing" attacks, this is a bit inconsistent because there is always a chance for LP damage regardless, but as far as I remember keeping your HP closer to a higher percentage of its total and keeping your defense up helps you mitigate LP damage.
The skills you get after the end of a quest depend on what actions your character takes during it, HP growth depends on how many attacks each character delivered.
You can use buff magic and items with lasting effects before a fight and the effect will stay. Be sure to keep a "utility" character because the content from chests can be very significant.
To get better stats bonuses try to form a "line" with your favorite skill as it grants a big boost to stats.

Thats pretty much what I remember.

So if I grind a bit and use NG+ my BR will go back to zero right?

>NG+
user...

I'd say pick up either Ruby or Ventus, Ventus would be better since he allows you to have unlimited quests, making it very easy to develop characters without worrying to much.

Also, another thing about Unlimited.
As you know, SaGa works in a way where the actions you take in battle shape your characters, some games also allow you to have some extra level of building depth depending on your choices during quests.
Unlimited, being the black magic game it is, takes it to the next level in the sense that EVERYTHING you do during a quest shapes a character, every single action you take during a quest counts as shaping your character, from opening a chest or swimming through currents to using spears or magic during battles, every single action and the occurence of it influences the both the results AND levels of the panels in the selection at the end of a quest, and don't forget that unless you're playing as Ventus the amount of quests in the game is LIMITED, meaning you NEED to make every quest count, unless you're Ruby since she has gimmick that allows her to "farm" panels to an extent, even though she doesn't have unlimited quests.
>my BR will go back to zero right?
Right, so will everything else though.

Are there other weapons like the bastard sword which can use both one handed and two handed sword skills

What?

NG+ is only available on mobile

all the ports have new game plus

Yes, both final Emperors come with Great Swords that can use the one handed sword waza.
There's also the Halberd, which is a spear that can use both spear and axe waza.

Should I get this or wait winter sale to get Final Fantasy 6 and 9?

What does Sunder do? It seems so worthless

Get rid of it

>go to vulcano area after clearing it first time
>need to fight the shittiest boss in jrpg history that only takes 100 damage with skills, with infinite respawning adds that protect it's gravel ass
>if i leave the area or die, i will fail to save the salamanders so this playthrough is fucked since i cannot grind enough to kill it
this is the fucking worst, along with no invincibility frames after escaping a battle

>You can fix both easily. Press F11 for fullscreen and in steam go to View> Settings> Controller >General Controller Settings and check ps4 or xbox, that fixed all controller detection for me.
Yeah I mean it was annoying they fucked up something so simple but it's a port of a super famicom what the fuck were people expecting.

There's also moonlight, under light magic

33% extra damage

If you don't save the salamanders you can get dark magic

You have to beat the sorcerer though

there is not much i can do, i tried to look up how much hp the fucking STONE has but from the few videos i saw they do like 7-8 times the damage i do to it

so unless boss hp scales with your own party, i don't think i can beat it

monks tells you have to fight some magic weak gelly
f

goes there gargoyle there instead

wat

It has 5000 hp and also you need to hit it with the hammer that the salamander gives you at least once.

If you can't beat it, it's ok. Let them die and keep going. Save them next playthrough.

I doubt it is, especially since it's Square, but does anybody know if the PS4 and Vita versions are crossbuy

Is TLR the easiest SaGa game? I finished it last month and it was a pretty smooth ride.

If you're willing to put in effort to understand the systems and mechanics, pretty much all of them are smooth rides except maybe Romancing Saga 2.

thanks user, i will probably use my last sp refills for a last attempt and then move on if it won't work

So how far can you theoretically travel without ever facing any of the Heroes (aside from the mandatory one)? Is the whole game wide open to the player, or are places barred and opened up after meeting certain story conditions?

Final Fantasy Legend II isn't bad.

the first kizinney fight is mandatory, but other then that nothing is mandatory. the problem though is that you can only warp to areas you have added to the empire, and some areas are only added once you kill the hero in an area so you would have to manually walk everywhere which would be tedious. I believe you do need to deal with the armed merchants to go to atlanticus though.

The world map is much more different than other JRPGs. You select places you've opened up due to finding them out through conversations with people or due to proximity to where you are at.

You can beat any hero first. Some quest have prerequisites, the only example I can think that you need to recapture the meru desert tower before fighting noel and wagnas.
And in some quests you'll need to have certain other territories, for example to build the university you need the 5 territories and to build a landship you need Cumberland. But there's another route to let you do the bokuohn scenario early.
Also there are some events that only occur after time passes, e.g. several generations after the first island scenario the volcano will be about to erupt.

>and some areas are only added once you kill the hero in an area so you would have to manually walk everywhere which would be tedious.

Yea, I'm at the volcano now, and I have no clue if I can easily get back to Avalon without having to backtrack through the route I came from.

Nevermind, it warped me back after completing the quest. And bumped me to the next generation

when you complete a "big" event that results in a black screen you should automatically end up back in the throne room. for the volcano you use the ice seed to cool it down then go back and talk to the mayor, it adds the island to the empire