Is this a good game? I had a slight craving for jrpg, but don't know what to play. Considering this

Is this a good game? I had a slight craving for jrpg, but don't know what to play. Considering this.
How's the story?

Best job system in any jrpg in my opinion. Story shits itself after a certain point.

if you like FF5, you'll like this one. beautiful art, top tier sound track.

now get out before someone floods the thread with spoilers

That's really discouraging. I like stories in my jrpgs.

the story is fine. it could have been presented better, granted. but its great

It's still pretty ok, it's just one of those stories that get incredibly super dumb when you think about them after finishing the game.

The real flaw of the game is Chapter 5-8 holy shit, you will either find it meh or absolutely hate them.

What other alternatives on 3ds can you suggest?

fLying fairy

The story isnt bad but its very obvious they didnt have much of a budget to work with. Its still a very fun game.

For JRPGs? Etrian Odyssey is the GOAT, I suggest you play the 3DS demos.

Fire Emblem games are great, if you like strategy.

I do love the Bravely Default games, tho, they are incredibly hated in here by some people but I legit believe they are great games.

The way the story works is, well, it starts interesting and stays that way for a while, then it comes to a fucking hault and characters starts acting really fucking dumb to the point i wanted to clober them on the head for being so fucking retarded, at that point you just want it to move on and see what happens in the end 'cause you've invested all the time and shit, but it really hurts
One of the reasons i think the "bad ending" is the better ending is that you can skip all of that crap

Wasted Potential: The Game

I considered Etrian Odyssey, but as I said before I prefer jrpgs with story. Am I wrong here? I thought it's very dungeon crawly without much stuff happening.

Fire Emblem seems interesting.

Is the second game better or worse than the first one?

JRPGs with great stories are really scarce nowadays, specially portable stuff.

It's terrible desu. you play it for two hours and it starts shitting itself because of the garbage story and nonexistant atmosphere.

oh boy. there's always one in each thread. someone who can't understand something beyond what they have beaten into them

lets hear it. why is the cast of BD dumb

Not him, but I also love Etrian Odyssey. EO has minimal story but it makes up for it with gameplay. If you're not into headcanon or don't enjoy the shopkeepers and don't like the gameplay on its own merits then you won't like the series.

The older Tales games have good story. Abyss is on 3DS. The Devil Survivor games have some good story as well if you like SRPGs. I'd avoid the new FE for good story, but YMMV depending on how you feel about writing. The plot is there but the localization teams for Awakening and Fates make the entire thing sound like a Saturday morning cartoon

gameplay wise its superior. characterization kinda falls off and the soundtrack is a straight downgrade.

they're both top tier games though

>want someone to open up and share their thoughts
>act like an elitist knobgobbler
Every time.

Yeah, that's sad.

I actually tried playing Abyss on my 3ds and stopped in like 10 hours into it. And I don't even know why. I just did and never went back.

I'll try it then. Thanks

i don't want them to open up and share their thoughts because they aren't thinking

The three people that know the truth:
>Instead of telling you your fairy companion is a doom bringer, I'm gonna let her plan get 90% of the way through before acting
Everyone you fight:
>I'm gonna fight you because I can't actually argue my ideas nor can I use my army to actually stop you.
You:
>Why didn't the crystals fix shit? Maybe the crystals will fix this shit.

>>>Instead of telling you your fairy companion is a doom bringer, I'm gonna let her plan get 90% of the way through before acting
You're not strong enough to take her on until 90% of the way through. If they had said anything, Airy would have instantly killed everyone and just wait for new people to show up.

it's pretty awful in every regard except the ost

My biggest problem is actually After the cave scene where the nose dude straight up tells in your face that "yes one of your companions is the doom bringer" or something like that, Tiz and Agnes knew Airy was fooling them from the start right around the second restart, but they proceed to do fuckall and everytime you reach the great pillar they're just "Wait, let's just see what Airy will do" and then,
surprise, everything goes to shit and they act shocked about it

spoiler that shit

1: Yulyana, DeRosso and Braev did know the nature of Airy, but they didn't know what she was capable of. Given that the Angel Agnes had told them that she was the herald of the end of the world, who knows how powerful she actually is.

"Hey! You know that fairy following you! Its actually an evil being, you shouldn't do what she says."

Airy would then slaughter everyone in the room and then simply wait out for another vestal to come of age to finish. She is 1.1 billion years old after all

>Everyone you fight

You've been fighting with a certain commander for years. You helped take your country back from a corrupt church and ushered in an era of prosperity. Are you going to question his motives now, after everything he's done has turned out OK?

As far as the asterisk bearers fighting Edea, she barges in and tells them they're wrong. Edea's main development in BD is that she stops seeing the world in black and white: The Eternian Forces aren't omniscient like the player is and don't know that she's wiser now, she's just a 15 year old spoiled brat of Braev's who's talented with a sword.

>The crystals

Airy had 1.1 billion years of practice manipulating these 4 people. The only reasons she failed are because

A: She got impatient and was chomping at the bit to finish, letting the group of Warriors you control get super powerful

B: Airy didn't know Ringabel WASN'T that world's Alternis Dim till it was too late for her to stop it, and thus prevent his memory from reappearing and the memory of Airy taunting him as he held his Edea's dying body

What is the most OP shit in the game?
I'm on the third cycle and I'm done. I just wanna know the rest of the story now.

chapter 6 is different, 7 is vastly different, 8 is maximized hypertuned bullshit. Just play through normally. be sure to do Vampire Castle if you haven't

>tell them the truth
>airy kills them and find another party

g8 job friend

Story is pretty good the first time. By the time the game has made you play it 5 times due to the groundhog day "twist". Even if you figure out how to break out of groundhog day loop the first time through, the game wont let you and forces you to keep replaying and replaying and replaying.
Fukken dropped.

>What is the most OP shit in the game?
Stillness lets you beat everything 100% with 0 effort.

>Stillness in your slowest character
>Phoenix Flight (Fighter Ability) (Uses all your HP except 1 point)
>That skill from Dark Knight that lets you do damage proportionate to the HP you lost

You can optimize this, but this the basics of the strategy that will carry you through Chaper 5-8 story stuff.

Natural Talent monks x3 +1 healer. Will make mincemeat of most of the game up until endboss.
Also advise getting vampire leveled and copping the crystal boss abilities, multi target physical fire/water spells with 0 sp cost are strong, almost mandatory for the secret boss.

SMT 4, 4A, Soul Hackers, or Strange Journey redux

What is 4A?

Ch 1-5 is great

anything beyond that is terrible but you can skip to the ending pretty quick

First 50% is solid. Last 5% is solid, but you have to wade through the 45% of it that is sort of samey to get to that payoff and most people don't usually manage to make it through it.

Salve-maker/Vampire
Giant's draft protects you from all but instead death since damage is capped at 9999.
Vampire gets access to white wind if you get it off the wind sphere enemies. Heals based on your HP value which will never go below 5000 ensuring you never die. Also costs 40 mana so if you have MP regen from conjurer, it'll only cost you 10 and you won't be doing it every turn anyway.

Hasten world from time mage is pretty busted for most the game but don't use it for the final bosses, they're borderline impossible to beat with it on.

SMT games aren't known for their stories.

>45%
You only need to beat the crystal bosses to get the true ending.

and you have the airship. and you already know how to beat them. and you can cheese pretty much anything if you clear all side quests in Chapter 4

SMT 4A. its a sequel to SMT4.

No, it's one of the game Sup Forums pretended was good to add 1 "masterpeice" to the 3ds's library. Shit story and the best mechanic in the game is that you can choose to skip the gameplay.

>recommending games that are not out yet
Let's all play ghost of tsushima guys!

Considering that most jrpgs are boring slow garbage this one at least lets you speed things up, the job system is nice but won't blow your mind.
The story is shit but has a very smart twist which stops being smart once you learn that that's not the true ending and that you have to do something very stupid to see the true ending.

5/10 very forgettable game

That is bravely second.

Did anyone play the sequel

Sure, gameplay is better and the new jobs are fun as fuck, but the OST is mediocre and the writing horrid.

Wow so its like the opposite of the first game.
I just never saw any discussion about it I really enjoyed BD and the sequel passed me by.

>takes places centuries after the first game
>action girl Magnolia
>mostly new party
>new asterisk holders for the old jobs
>ba'als have an essential role in the story
HAHA NOPE

ba'als are an essential part of the story. they're just not the focus

Pretty mediocre game that came out when the 3DS had no good RPGs. So its extremely overhyped and underwhelming if you expect anything substaintial. Felt more like a phone game with all its reused assets, lack of unique dungeons, and just overall a really short scenario that quickly ends up repeating itself again and again.

My biggest gripes were:
- the looping dungeon soundtrack is the same for almost every dungeon, battle music isnt varried either
- dungeons are just randomized shit shows that have no actual structure, they are so poorly made and you only visit a few throughout the game
-The towns are just art backdrops with nothing really nice about exploring it
- More than half the jobs are complete shit
- Bosses and game is generally really fucking easy
- Looping content, you will fight the same bosses close to 6? times again and go through the same dungeons just to get the true ending
- Ugly chibi models
- The games writing is fucking awful

>You're not strong enough to take her on until 90% of the way through
That's a load of shit, you're strong enough by time you're 50% through, but if you act early and kick her ass then you get the bad ending for no good reason.

Gameplay is good, but the story is pretty meh and it hindered my enjoyment at the end because of a certain tedious event they decided to make you manually go through instead of just giving you a taste of it, and then cramming the rest into a cutscene.

>really short scenario
Even not counting the repeated chapters the game is already 60 hours long
>- dungeons are just randomized shit shows that have no actual structure, they are so poorly made and you only visit a few throughout the game
Like in a Final Fantasy game then.
>-The towns are just art backdrops with nothing really nice about exploring it
Really nice looking art backdrops.
>- More than half the jobs are complete shit
Not really.
>- Bosses and game is generally really fucking easy
It's harder than any mainline FF, with the exception of IV DS.
>- Ugly chibi models
The chibis were designed by Yoshida himself and look great.
>- The games writing is fucking awful
The writing is fine, not great, not awful.

I agree and Im so afraid octopussy traveler will be more of this

Yes, that's actually true, but I got the impression that you would fight more than two of them during the story. They talk about how the ba'als are destroying their world, but in reality only one of them does anything actually threatening.

>It's harder than any mainline FF, with the exception of IV DS
Not him, but III, V, IX, and X easily beat out BD in difficulty, and they aren't even very challenging in the first place.

You fight 3. One of them is pretty terrifying

Yeah, no. Especially fucking IX and X, did you last play them when you were 10?

No, I last played them a couple years ago, both get difficulty spikes at the end, in IX's case its just the final boss.
Those 4 are all more difficult than BD.

>Final Fantasy IX and Final Fucking Fantasy X harder than the Bravely games

What the fuck

X has a single difficult fight at Mt Gagazet, IX is a cakewalk from start to finish. I can't even fathom how you could consider them harder then BD.

X also has difficult fights when you go to the point of no return, and IX's final boss is stupidly hard because of that move that puts every single status ailment in the game on your entire party so you have to either grind to have enough AP to equip all status nulling abilities or get lucky enough that the boss only uses it once.
I don't see how you could consider BD harder, its only even comparable to IX and X if you play it on hard, otherwise its definitely easier.

The average lategame random encounter in BD is harder than anything in IX and X main game.
We're talking about Hard mode right? Because if you played on Normal, you didn't play the game.

I only played on hard from the second I started the game, only thing that was difficult in my entire playthrough was my first few fights in the first repeat, and Airy in the true ending, literally everything else was a cakewalk, and the Airy fight and the final boss after her were both cakewalks the second I put on Double HP, which legitimately made my party immortal against them because they could only hit for 9999 at most.

I honestly don't know what to tell you, the claim seems so ridiculous that I wonder what games you've played.

Job system / combat is great
Characters are pretty fun
Meta-narrative is interesting if not good

However no one working on these games knew how to design a dungeon or overworld area. The puzzles are boring and no matter how interesting the story may get you know it's not going to lead to any interesting mechanics aside from "fight a boss at the end". And the fact that you can change the encounter rate at any time means you will either be fighting in one place repeatedly to grind, or mindlessly coasting through dungeons with no enemies to save resources. I don't know why they thought this was a good idea and not something that totally breaks the flow of an RPG in general. There's a reason other games don't do that.

In summary BD has some of the things I love most about good RPGs and also some of the things I hate most about bad RPGs. It 's a roller coaster

I haven't played Second but I feel one of the biggest problems with BD's plot is that most conflicts are built upon miscommunication, if Edea would just have a full conversation with her parents most of the shit that happened could have been avoided.

>However no one working on these games knew how to design a dungeon or overworld area. The puzzles are boring and no matter how interesting the story may get you know it's not going to lead to any interesting mechanics aside from "fight a boss at the end".
The games are not!FF, and FF games aren't renowed for their dungeon design. I'd say that actually that the Bravely games have more puzzles in average than FF.
>And the fact that you can change the encounter rate at any time means you will either be fighting in one place repeatedly to grind, or mindlessly coasting through dungeons with no enemies to save resources.
Or you could just leave the average encounter rate on and play normally, since it's up to you.

We all know that "just don't use it!" as an excuse for a feature that makes the game criminally easy is a shitty argument

No it isnt.
Just because very easy mode exists doesnt mean Im going to select it.

>There's a reason other games don't do that.
The original Japanese version didn't have that. They got Bravely Default: For the Sequel (which added the encounter slider among other things to promote Second) some time after the original game's release and that's the version they released in the west.

>character has flaws
>the game is bad because of this

I don't get how it seems ridiculous, was your party setup terrible or something? Hell even my party setup wasn't anything special, but just what I liked using.
Tiz: Spell Fencer/Templar
Agnes: Time Mage/White Mage
Ringabel: Dark Knight/Monk
Edea: Black Mage/Summoner

>45%
I want this meme to die

>Edea: Black Mage/Summoner
Gross.

Nobody fall for the "replay the game 4 times!" meme.

The game literally gives you the airship, minimap, and ability to disable encounters.

It's a fucking boss-rush (with new boss arrangements, mind you) for 2-3 hours while exploring a new timeline with new side quests.

The game is excellent until halfway through, at which point it turns to shit until the ending, which is godlike, but nobody ever saw the ending because they all quit like bitches.

I agree, and I actually found this part of the game pretty fun, with boss fights getting harder, but I saw a lot of people claiming it was half of the game. Like you couldn't skip it all if you didn't like it

That means they were dumbasses

I dropped the game when it pulled that shit, picked it up again months later and finished it
It was not worth it

More like it means the game fucked up pretty hard.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?

t. someone who played it more than once

>Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?
I think the reason you usually see posted is budget problems.

I did the same thing. It was totally worth it.

The main story isn't that great in either game, but some of the meta stuff in the second game is really cool.
I didn't really have much of a problem with chapters 5-8 either. Some people say to rush past them, but that just makes it a chore in my opinion. Try out new jobs in chapters 5-6, and then enjoy all the new boss fights in chapters 7-8.

Get on my level, it took me a year to pick it up again after the bad end.
And it was awesome.

I admit it was done poorly, but this part is like 5h long if you rush it. What prevents you to play until the end?

I say it again, it could have been handled way better. Maybe they could have put actual differences between timelines. There's a lot of things that could have been improved

Still fucking mad I can't find it in any garage sales, I have the two waiting on a shelf since month now

It's just the type of story where the "villains" could have told the heroes their motivations and reasoning at any point and almost all of the conflict could have been avoided.
If you can overlook that you'll be fine.

>Let's just throw together a random adjective and a random noun, and that's the name of our game! Oh and lets make it about FAAAAEEERRRIIIIIEEESSSS!!! :3

Story is shit, gameplay is great

>There's a lot of things that could have been improved
This. They should've played around with the idea of multiple version of the same world more.
>Ringabel is Alternis from the world before the game starts
>that subtle hint that Edea was killed by Ominas in chapter 5
>Tiz's brother being the lone survivor instead in chapter 6

But I guess their time and money didn't allow more of that.

Gameplay wise it's fast and has a job system with a lil more depth than FFV so it's good there. Unfortunately it's "notFF" so it runs into some similar issues with balance as FF does. Story wise it's better the more retarded you are. Unfortunately if you're smart enough to figure out the twist before the game wants you to the whole thing is kinda boring as you're just waiting for the thing to happen. Oh and the whole plot is meta shit, so if you like meta plot you may find it better than I did. And if you think about the plot at all once finished, you'll go brain dead with how silly it is. Dialogue mostly sucks and half your party are really boring characters. On top of that the game makes you essentially repeat the major fights 4 times to get the real ending and sure they're harder now but it screams budget issues. Dungeons are hot fucking garbage, music is pretty good.

A solid 6-7/10, really nothing impressive.

0/10, I expect better on your next shitpost.

This is one of the only criticisms of the game's plot that doesn't make sense.
>Holly uses talk!
>Airy uses Slaughter! It's super effective!

das right warrior of light boy. you awaken dem crystals

Airy awakens my crystal, if you know what I mean.