There are people right now who don't use openmw to play morrowind

There are people right now who don't use openmw to play morrowind
What is your excuse?

Other urls found in this thread:

openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/modding/settings/camera.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm just annoyed it doesn't right now support the distant lands thing or dynamic shadows. I initially started a game in the original game with some mods but moved my character to OpenMW and it's been pretty good so far.

What's OpenMW

This

Morrowind transplanted into an open source engine that works better on modern hardware and natively supports more things.

What's the point? I run a GOG install of Morrowind and it works perfectly fine.

It properly supports things like borderless windowed mode and antialiasing without needing a mod for it. It also already includes one of the common fixes that everyone uses, I think the script fix. Ideally too it should run better with lots of mods. I'm not using very many mods right now and they haven't added back in support for distant lands or dynamic shadows but when I was using those in the normal game the framerate was pretty unstable. They should run a lot better in OpenMW when they're actually implemented again.

It takes better advantage of modern hardware so things like saving don't affect the framerate as much and loading is quicker too.

This, until OpenMW supports my modlist there's really nothing to say about the matter, engine improvements (as great as they are) aren't enough to make me abandon all of my content and general improvement mods.

Is this stable yet? Can the whole game be completed?

Yes

There are mods I like using that don't work with it.

Still dont get it, its takes like 2 minutes to enable all your feautures listed and much more. What gives

But it does support distant land now.
They also baked in a whole bunch of other things last release like the cursor turns red on items you are stealing, enchant chance, more weapon info, that sort of thing
Game has been completable for a long time

One of the biggest things for me is the multi data folder structure that it has. Makes mod installing a breeze as the engine can load other folders that contain your mods.

It runs on every type of system without having to hack in features, the engine just supports it.

It's just an open source implementation of the game that fixes some things without needing mods. It better supports modern hardware and runs on Linux and Mac natively. Not everyone is going to care.

>But it does support distant land now.
If it does then I don't know how to enable it. I had a Morrowind install with MPP with distant lands but it's not working with OMW. How do I make it work?

I use it for tes3mp. What is the most current version? I thought it was 0.4.2 but haven't come across an option for distant land or theft indication.

If i wanted to play morrowind for the first time, could I pick this up and follow a mod guide on /vg/ or would that not work

You have to go in and enable the distant terrain = false to true and then edit your camera setting to see farther
openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/modding/settings/camera.html has a good write up on it.
All of the deep settings are in settings.cfg

0.43.0 is the latest release now. You have to go into settings.cfg to enable these little features.

any mod requiring mge or mgse or anything external wouldn't work
i would recommend just using the normal game if you haven't played it before. OpenMW isn't finished and as such doesn't have a lot of mods made for it

>Hey guys, i ported this game to this new engines over the span of 8 years so you dont have to download 10kb of mods and fixes
Ps: most mods dont work yet, better weit another 8 years

Nah, thank you im good with morrowing in its vanilla form

What mods are essential that require those? I'm curious.

>0.43.0 is the latest release now.
Thanks cutie, will download and check it out. Any chance they might add lighting and normalmap related stuff soon?

shader mods require mge. if you're familiar with skyrim modding, mgse is similar to skse, but less mods use it than in skyrim. a specific example is melian's teleport mod

both of these things are possible within openmw, without using external tools, it's just that no modder has made an openmw version

It's more of a future proofing thing. Open source engine implementations are pretty popular these days. If you used Linux or Mac it would affect you though since it natively runs on those and can be more easily ported to other systems. But like others have said it doesn't support all mods yet. Ideally though graphical mods would run better on OpenMW than the original game.

Normal mapping has been in for a while m8. You have to enable it in your settings.cfg lysols normal maps on nexus has a nice write up on how to do it.
I'm not sure about the lighting stuff? I know true lights and darkness mod works though.

This makes more sense

Thanks, sweetie, all I needed to know.
Do you play online btw or is that not really up your alley?

I'm not some tasteless faggots that needs to rice out my games due to brainletism.

>says this while probably installing hundreds of mods

I would imagine online just devolves into int potion abuse.
I've thought about setting it up to play with some friends though.

but that'd be ricing it out.

What are some of the mods available to OpenMW that don't work with vanilla, aside from multiplayer? Mostly I just use MSGE and Fair Magicka Regen.

I can recommend the latter, if you lay down some ground rules and only give certain players (such as yourself) access to console commands it should work out.

A lot of texture types are supported by openmw and not the vanilla engine last I check so shit like normal maps works in openmw
Also the multi data folder structure is a god send for texture and model replacers. You can have a whole folder load after the main data folder and it will just load the textures over the textures from the main data. If I don't like it just remove the folder from the list and it's gone.

Can I play the entire game with no problems?

should be able to play no problem. very little mods don't work with it.

would use if someone made combat "feel" better than Skyrim's (and it also feels shit in there)
otherwise I'll just wait for Skywind and have the feeling of playing in a new world instead of playing the same game over and over

OpenMW doesn't support all the cool shaders which would make its increased performance USEFUL.

What's the point of having extra performance if you have nothing to spend it on?

If you play skywind you are not playing morrowind, you are playing skyrim with a paintjob.

when it's finished it will support shaders

that's fine

Whats the new world?

Why not just use Morrowind Overhaul like everyone else?

runs like shit because single core game in 2017

Because I don't play trash like Morrowind, everyone knows Skyrim is objectively better