I tried to watch his "review" on Odyssey and I really couldn't

Anthony Russell
Anthony Russell

I tried to watch his "review" on Odyssey and I really couldn't. It just felt like extensive nitpicking that was padded on for 2 hours to seem really knowledgeable about things that anyone with a basic understanding of video games could discuss. Furthermore, a lot of his complaints are 'this could've been done better because X' which then he proceeds to talk about how his idea is better therefore Nintendo is stupid to not include it. It's even worse that his ideas aren't even that great, or thought out. I think what made me close it out entirely is when he was talking about how the game was made for Children, not him, despite the fact him claiming how excited he was for it because it's Mario (which has always been marketed towards kids). Waste of time.

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.amazon.com/Unit-Operations-Approach-Videogame-Criticism/dp/0262524872
https://discord.gg/8gSBsYC
https://youtu.be/kYJx5xt2cB0?t=1h42m41s
Nathaniel Peterson
Nathaniel Peterson

He's a manchild who writes bad genre fiction. What did you expect?

Logan Kelly
Logan Kelly

who

Evan Parker
Evan Parker

The guy just seems to be a massive contrarian, isn't most of his videos just going against popular opinion?

William White
William White

Have you read it?

Hudson Davis
Hudson Davis

No I'm just memeing. I don't read genre fiction.

Ethan Reed
Ethan Reed

But you play video games?

Joshua Green
Joshua Green

Who does reviews better than Joseph?

Landon Rogers
Landon Rogers

No mostly I just watch people play video games so I can argue about them.

Jayden Evans
Jayden Evans

Shilling 101

Angel Flores
Angel Flores

I hope you at least do it with some level of irony.

Daniel Cooper
Daniel Cooper

Everybody.
He does critiques aka. his own opinion.
I'm still baffled how people won't get that.

Jaxson Robinson
Jaxson Robinson

This guy has a kid, but sounds like he's 15. I'd prefer MS text-to-speech over his voice, honestly. No amount of 'deep reviewing' can save it when the voice is that annoying.

Austin Walker
Austin Walker

Yeah there's plenty of irony.

Also I just read the first page of one of his books (The Wizard and the Dragon) and I can verify that it is in fact bad genre fiction.

Andrew Bell
Andrew Bell

Why is Sup Forums worshiping this guy so much recently? I thought we were supposed to despise ecelebs.

Caleb Nelson
Caleb Nelson

because matosis doesn't make videos frequently

Jason Gonzalez
Jason Gonzalez

Obviously he's making a lot of non-subjective claims. He actually has a pretty strong, detailed approach, I just don't think he does enough research on why other people like the games. Obviously if you play games like he does, Odyssey is pretty shit, but instead of recognizing that people play games differently and for different reasons, he just says that Odyssey is for kids.

Samuel Nelson
Samuel Nelson

Because he had a negative opinion on a popular game so Sup Forums started circlejerking it
Really it’s another psuedo intellectual enlightened gamer that feels he needs to hype himself up so much he posts teasers about an upcoming video about how “popular game X isn’t good!!!!!!!!!”
It’s akin to every other eceleb reviewer garbage posted here and on YouTube.

Gabriel Jenkins
Gabriel Jenkins

He admitted himself that it's genre trash. It's not high art. It's consumer fiction.

Lucas Ramirez
Lucas Ramirez

he game has flaws, but most of his points are just ridiculous
every 3D Mario game would benefit from even more movement options
What arbitrary number do you fucking need? It already takes considerable skill to use all of the options in unison with each other consistently.
look how small these maps are, I thought this was about exploration baka
The game is NOT about expansive exploration. It’s about “inward” exploration, investigating densely constructed and highly intricate structures filled with secrets. It’s also primarily about gameplay, which it totally delivers on
the game puts you back at the start sometimes wtf
Did he forget about the fast travel option?
wall jumping is nerfed
It feels sad but it’s a necessary change as the series moves from the wide open platforms of SM64 to the more intricate structures of Odyssey to prevent horrendous cheesing.
the transformations take away movement options instead of adding
THAT’S THE FUCKING POINT DUDE, HOLY SHIT. MOST OF THOSE PUZZLES REVOLVE ENTIRELY AROUND THE INTRODUCTION OF NEW VULNERABILITIES TO THINGS THAT PREVIOUSLY WERENT AN ISSUE

He’s right about stuff like the handholding and areas like hatland sucking but holy fuck is he missing the point of the game hard

Jaxon Cook
Jaxon Cook

Did he use those words exactly?

Anyway the prose is pretty bad. There does exist genre fiction with good prose, but the guy obviously has the skill and taste of a highschooler.

Jeremiah Nelson
Jeremiah Nelson

Stay mad, Nintenbabby

Jack Gutierrez
Jack Gutierrez

psuedo intellectual enlightened gamer
Well he's better than most of them. At least he's critical rather than blindly parroting popular opinions. I'm kind of glad somebody finally filled the contrarian reviewer slot that Sup Forums usually takes up.

Cooper Bailey
Cooper Bailey

Odyssey
"intricate structures"

Please tell me more about how the completely sparse Sand, Seaside, Lake, Mushroom, Moon, etc. Kingdoms were condensed and intricate. Please tell me more about how the 500+ filler Moons in the game weren't completely boring and tedious to collect.

I don't even like Anderson that much but he nailed it in this video, you Odysseyfags are fucking delusional.

Robert Clark
Robert Clark

4chan on any game:
IT'S SHIT
4chan on MAORI-AH game:
IT'S PERFECT YOU'RE NITPICKING

Why 4chaners are a bunch of mindless Nin-drones?

Jacob Wright
Jacob Wright

Yeah no shit, it's clickbait

Jeremiah Martin
Jeremiah Martin

completely sparse
Every one of those either consisted of very intricate structures spaced out amongst sparse areas that feature puzzles involving broad movements, or are completely about broad movements and drastic vertical movement. That’s a variation in gameplay style to focus more on Mario’s jumping abilities
Most of those moons are just there to serve as small scale rewards and “i’ve been here” markets throughout the exploration process

Obviously these design elements have downsides but game design is full of necessary sacrifices

Cameron Sanders
Cameron Sanders

Stop posting this faggot

Jaxson Baker
Jaxson Baker

markets
*markers

Josiah Garcia
Josiah Garcia

When did I ever call the game perfect? I don't think the game is perfect and I actually would've enjoyed someone criticizing the game more constructively. Someone's opinion doesn't hamper your own experience and needing validation either through negativity or positivity is a poor way of thinking.

Luis Cooper
Luis Cooper

No one can do a video that is hours long like my boy Matthew

Zachary Butler
Zachary Butler

500+ filler Moons
Calling something filler doesn't make it filler, retard

Daniel Nguyen
Daniel Nguyen

I agree. Matthew has criticized mario games before that doesn't feel like he's beating you over the head with superiority complex like Joesph Hamplanet.

Camden Sanders
Camden Sanders

Guys I also hate nintendo and Odyssey, if I made a three-hour video saying why would you worship me?

Liam Hall
Liam Hall

Literally who? (Dont answer that, they don't deserve more attention)
Why the fuck do you watch game reviews on youtube? I bet you've spent a dozen hours watching videos of dark souls on youtube too, faggot

Charles Barnes
Charles Barnes

Actually probably. You should give it a try.

Michael Myers
Michael Myers

his 6 hour Dark Souls video
kino

Elijah Wood
Elijah Wood

calling something not filler doesnt either

Carson Williams
Carson Williams

4chan on any game:
IT'S SHIT but companydrones will defend it
4chan on MAORI-AH game:
IT'S SHIT but companydrones will defend it

Fixed that for you.

Daniel Long
Daniel Long

Lake Kingdom
Sparse
Nigga that's the tiniest fucking kingdom in the game.

Angel Bailey
Angel Bailey

why does he have some tranny faggot going around twitter for a defense squad for his shitty videos. what a little bitch.

Kayden Cruz
Kayden Cruz

HE
IS
OUR
GUY

Blake Hall
Blake Hall

Because it's not. It's one of the most critically acclaimed games ever, Joseph makes money by creating clickbait. The fact you're defending a cuck is fucking pathetic, man

Jaxson Wright
Jaxson Wright

/v/ just seems to be a massive contrarian, isn't most of his videos just going against popular opinion?

Easton Powell
Easton Powell

defending this cuck
using "critically acclaimed" as a way to argue against something without addressing the point
I havent even watched the video and I still firmly believe there are way too many moons that are literally exactly the same and only function as a waste of time. They arent entertaining or fun, they are a chore, busy work at best and even if you were 5 years old it wouldnt be fun.

Gabriel Torres
Gabriel Torres

fuck off

Luke Butler
Luke Butler

the odyssey review confirmed he doesn't know shit

Hudson Lewis
Hudson Lewis

It's all organised on his discord. Hamsterson has bar none the most dicksucking fanbase in existence.

Dylan Cruz
Dylan Cruz

Good for you, you're entitled to your opinion, stop acting like it's fact.

Xavier Carter
Xavier Carter

I don't know anything about this guy, so I don't dislike him or anything, but I hate this forced contrarian youtuber thing. In order to get attention, youtubers intentionally make a very controvertible video. I doubt this guy is actually passionate about Mario Odyssey's flaws. He just sees a way to get attention to his channel by throwing out a video he knows is gonna make people mad and start console wars. I don't blame him, it's a necessary part of his job, but I wish it didn't happen for every single major release.

Kayden Robinson
Kayden Robinson

What a defeatist way to speak to someone. Why engage if you aren't going to defend your point. Speaking up only to say "youre an autist if you have an opinion" is fucking pointless. Why even reply to me in the first place? So you could call some guy on youtube a cuck and feel good about yourself? Keep acting like you dont care when you clearly do. Still literally no rebuttal to anything ive said.

Grayson Walker
Grayson Walker

Mr Anderson

Levi Cruz
Levi Cruz

He knows places like Sup Forums, even if they despise and delete youtube eceleb stuff, will worship him and devour his weenie if he says anything not positive about Nintendo.

Nathan Harris
Nathan Harris

People cooled down on this game really fast.

Probably one of the hardest turns in public opinion I’ve seen since Bioshock Infinite. Masterpiece to low tier 3d Mario in the span of a few weeks.

Tyler Stewart
Tyler Stewart

It was a good video and I'm not really sure what issues people could have with it. Which why I imagine a lot of posters are attacking the person ( ) or are making vague buzzword-tier statements "it's nitpicking"

Does anyone have any actual issues with what was said and why?

Jacob Peterson
Jacob Peterson

why do we like him?

Jace Williams
Jace Williams

He purposely only compared the game to previous mario games, showing what old games did better and such
People are still trying to make it out to be an anti-nintendo thing

Joshua Reed
Joshua Reed

Here's a rebuttal, why does everyone on Sup Forums do a complete 180 regarding ecelebs when they're not nice to Nintendo? 95% of the time eceleb threads are pruned and people scream bloody murder about them but the second this guy doesn't like Odyssey everyone kowtowing to him and making nonstop HAHA BTFO NINBABBIES threads.

Liam Williams
Liam Williams

He's annoyingly autistic

Noah Barnes
Noah Barnes

a lot of his complaints are 'this could've been done better because X' which then he proceeds to talk about how his idea is better therefore Nintendo is stupid to not include it.

Thats why he does critiques instead of reviews, its not about just saying "this thing is shit", its about saying "this thing is shit because of this and this is how it could have been less shit".

Opinions about something being bad without presenting an alternative are worthless.

Benjamin Perez
Benjamin Perez

Instead of 'make your bed', Anderson would say 'play DSII'.

Evan Harris
Evan Harris

Proof? Because Sup Forums is not representative of the entire world, or even an entire fandom.

Juan Mitchell
Juan Mitchell

Like Sup Forums then

Anthony Sanders
Anthony Sanders

yeah on his stream he said he made those books quickly to make money and his game shouldn't buy it

Oliver Flores
Oliver Flores

What he's saying is not wrong but the issue is why would you make a multi hour critique out of this? Ultimately, Odyssey chose to focus on the sandbox elements present to a lesser extent in 64 and Sunshine. There are positives that come with that and there are negatives. The thing is, these positives and negatives are extremely obvious to anyone. You don't need a critique to know that a linear game will have more consistency than a more open game. What is the point of his video except to start console wars?

Wyatt Jenkins
Wyatt Jenkins

Which why I imagine a lot of posters are attacking the person
Links to like, the one guy in the thread who explicitly isn't shitting on Anderson

Austin Cox
Austin Cox

I dunno man, but Sup Forums is hundreds of thousands of people all with differing opinions, and most of them don't even watch the e-celebs they talk about. Console wars are stupid. Drama and gossip is stupid. I don't care about any of that shit. My only point here is that I think mario odyssey was underwhelming as fuck and whenever you mention anything vaguely critical about it everyone assumes you have some kind of fucking agenda. I just want to genuinely speak about something.

Angel Mitchell
Angel Mitchell

His alternatives are even more shit. What does he even mean by "the game should use the controls more"? How much more can you chain Cappy techniques and Cap-ture enemies in this game?

Jace Sanders
Jace Sanders

Claims that he's just being a contrarian and isn't being genuine
Not shitting on him

Right.

Nicholas Scott
Nicholas Scott

his fans* shouldn't buy it

Hudson James
Hudson James

If there was only a 2 hour video that studies every single moon and explains why most of them are challenges made for children... such a detailed research would certainly qualify as fact and not just an opinion...

Jaxson Brooks
Jaxson Brooks

asking does someone play video games
on Sup Forums

the answer is no, none of us play video games
we're just here to bitch about them

Justin Martin
Justin Martin

why would you make a multi hour critique out of this?

Because he wanted to air his views and a lot of people enjoy it? Even outside of Anderson there's a huge scene of critique on youtube, it's far from a nich thing.
I really don't understand why people ask such an autistic question. Why would anyone make anything?

What is the point of his video except to start console wars?

Yeah obviously he stuck to only comparing the game to other mario games cause he wanted to start console wars.

Justin Brown
Justin Brown

proof

There was a white paper published by the CDC a few days ago.

Anthony Nguyen
Anthony Nguyen

Why is it underwhelming? What did it need so badly? Returning you to the start after every moon like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy? More linear stuff? Smaller levels? Waluigi?

Henry Jones
Henry Jones

What does he even mean by "the game should use the controls more"?

He explains what that means in the video, he even shows footage of that to support his statement

Leo Murphy
Leo Murphy

if only some autistic fuck spent two hours whining about why a Mario game of all things isn't incredibly deep and intricate like my Final Fantasies and Halos and GTAs

Link?

What is it, then? Does he want FLUDD back?

Liam Davis
Liam Davis

WHO OP WHO

Julian Cooper
Julian Cooper

I just felt that the foundation they laid was really great but it never did much interesting with it. The possession mechanics are something that dont feel fleshed out at all and function more as a mildly entertaining gimmick. The game never gives you anything satisfying to do with the tools given to you. Much of the game is just busy work or chorelike tasks that dont ever ask much of you. Barring the moons that require you to use the jump, it never feels like anything remotely challenging. I don't need mario to be dark souls but there is rarely anything engaging.

Christopher Morales
Christopher Morales

Not an argument.

Christopher Morris
Christopher Morris

YOU GOT A MOON FOR HOVERING OVER THIS SPOILER GOOD JOB!

Gabriel Peterson
Gabriel Peterson

The game wasn't designed to be challenging. Nintendo called it a sandbox game themselves for a reason. The point of this game is to explore a quirky Mario world. I'm sure they will make a linear 3D Mario in another 4-5 years but doing something different for once isn't a bad thing. It's not like you don't already have buckets of linear 3D Mario games. In the last decade they've made 4 different linear 3D Mario games.

Jaxson Ross
Jaxson Ross

I mean, I remember him shilling them on his youtube.

Anyway it doesn't change the fact that the guy can't write. Believe it or not, it IS possible to write good genre fiction. Joe obviously just has no skill.

Lincoln Peterson
Lincoln Peterson

Then why'd they say it was made in the Mario 64/Mario Sunshine line?

James Moore
James Moore

doing something different for once isn't a bad thing

Yes it is, BotW proved that. When you don't use the Ocarina of Time format you make extremely shitty Zelda games.

Landon Turner
Landon Turner

But nothing about the game makes you want to explore it. I dont mind them trying something different. They succeeded with that in botw. But mario feels like botw if you took out everything besides the korok seeds. Its shallow and boring. That is my subjective experience

Tyler Ross
Tyler Ross

The game wasn't designed to be challenging.

That is basically his complaint. The movement system is incredible, and the devs wasted the potential on filler/tutorial-tier moons. There are very few moments were a new idea is introduced and expanded on. The player just has to notice a moon and get to it with no difficulty progression.

Easton Morales
Easton Morales

Then why'd they say it was made in the Mario 64/Mario Sunshine line?
They did? Go back and play Mario 64 again. The game is extremely easy. I don't believe Mario 64 has a single actually difficult level. Most you can run through in 30 seconds.

Gavin Mitchell
Gavin Mitchell

Yeah it's getting a free update soon because people don't like it

Thomas Campbell
Thomas Campbell

that Chris Pratt analogy
Why didn't he use any hot female celebrity as an example instead?
Does he want to fuck Chris Pratt? Is Mr. Anderson a gay?

Camden Taylor
Camden Taylor

Kids love the game.

Jack Bell
Jack Bell

It's literally his job to make YouTube critiques.

Angel Sanchez
Angel Sanchez

I fall asleep watching his shit vid

Jose Morgan
Jose Morgan

They did?
not him but yeah they did

Gabriel Clark
Gabriel Clark

Most people managed to collect hundreds of moons in that time and realize there isn't actually a challenging game no matter how far you play.

Landon White
Landon White

Yes and I said that myself, that I don't blame him for doing this. It's what he has to do to get money, I'm not gonna fault him for that. It's one of those things where I don't blame anyone for it, but it's still annoying. Like it's cold as fuck right now but is it anyone's fault? No, but I can still be mad about it. These videos just make legitimate discussion about games on Sup Forums even harder than usual, because it gets into console war shitflinging.

Michael Ward
Michael Ward

I feel like his review is more reducto adbsurdum. He counts moons just "sitting there" or NPCs as worthless moons, totally disregarding where those moons are NPC's are, usually at the end of long platforming sections. He seems to forget that the journey is the fun, not the destination itself. Which is a staple to the the previous mario games he praises so much.

Jeremiah Nelson
Jeremiah Nelson

On youtube?
MandaloreGaming, he is one of the few people who actually could explain the E.Y.E story in a few sentences
Shammy is also great, but his reviews are more on the comedy side. He also only does bad/mediocore games

James Foster
James Foster

Goes out of his way to not mention non-nintendo properties while he could have easily shown Hat in Time did shit better
HES MAKING CONSOLE WARS HURR

Eli Morris
Eli Morris

That was a typo on my part. I meant to say "it is"
Nostalgia clouds peoples view in 64. Go back and play it as an adult, you will breeze through that game. A normal adult can probably finish Mario 64 in one session, it's that easy.

Aaron Bell
Aaron Bell

This stuff always devolves to personality-bashing rather than honest critique.

I mean, let's be fair, 95% of Sup Forums posters are too stupid to even be able to voice a strong argument either for or against the guy's arguments.

Jacob Cooper
Jacob Cooper

You say that like Sup Forums has good opinions.

Jayden Green
Jayden Green

I don't really see how he addresses these things. You literally don't have to do any of the moons that you just pointed out. I also don't see why he gets so wound up over the easy moons. You do them and then you move on with the game. I literally didn't think about those moons again until the video. The game does get more challenging as it goes on, even the Mushroom Kingdom has boss challenges that are harder versions of previous bosses. It also has one of the more challenging 2D sections. The Darker Side of the Moon does present more challenge with less checkpoints. I used the moveset quite a lot for many of the moons. I found the environments to encourage many of the crazy jumps that are possible.

Logan Wilson
Logan Wilson

Me but my channel isn't out yet

Justin Richardson
Justin Richardson

it's a rerun of the BOTW post-launch discussion
One or two more well known ecelevs make a less than stellar review of the game and then suddenly the shit posters latch onto it like maggots to a wound. Same old same old.

Jackson Watson
Jackson Watson

I think something that has to be considered is that you have to balance "openness" and difficulty. The more open you make your game, the less difficult it has to be or it gets too long. Most consumers are only willing to put about 15-20 hours into single player games before they drop them. So it's understandable when you go from Galaxy's linearity to Odyssey's openness they had to compromise on the difficulty. If this game was as difficult as Galaxy it would be incredibly long. That's also the reason why Sunshine was the hardest 3D Mario. Discounting blue coins, it was a very short game. That's why they raised the difficulty, to get the length to an acceptable level.

Lincoln Taylor
Lincoln Taylor

Brainlets and Nintenbros cant understand criticism.

Christian Young
Christian Young

Galaxy isn't even that difficult aside from waggling

Joshua Cook
Joshua Cook

Yeah but I was comparing it to Odyssey. The way I would describe the difficulty is like:
Sunshine: 8
Galaxy: 6
Odyssey: 4

I'm just saying if you made Odyssey a "6" in difficulty it would be absurdly long.

Blake Bailey
Blake Bailey

This is more of a design challenge in a more open game. Odyssey already gates worlds off linearly, so it could've made each new world more challenging than the last.

John Miller
John Miller

It's going to be great reposting this 5-6 months from now. I can imagine that each time it gets posted it's going to give me plenty of (you)s from triggered Nintendo babbies.

And I don't even give a shit about SMO, I just like seeing consolewar babbies getting shat on. I'd do the exact same thing if Joseph Anderson or Matthewmatosis or whoever did a 2 hour critique of a highly-reviewed Sony game like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or Uncharted 5.

Josiah Foster
Josiah Foster

Not even 5 minutes in and he makes a dark souls comparison, is this a joke you have to ask me?

Dominic Clark
Dominic Clark

that Mushroom Kingdom fakeout

This guy can be alright at times. I don't necessarily agree with all his points, but I see where he's coming from. The game was a bit of a disappointment for me, to a lesser extent.

Benjamin Reed
Benjamin Reed

So all you care about is shitting up Sup Forums even more?

Caleb Mitchell
Caleb Mitchell

I don't think you're getting the point. Nintendo has a lot of cool content in this game they want to show to the players. If the players quit the game before getting to that content, because the game is too long for them, then they have a problem.

David Hill
David Hill

They also have a lot of mindless, repetitive, boring content. Maybe they could've encouraged players to go further by getting rid of some of the junk.

Julian Long
Julian Long

I never played SMO. That bait and switch was just perfect. I don't know how anyone can defend the Mushroom Kingdom being that lazily design.

Kevin Jackson
Kevin Jackson

So what you're basically asking for here is Galaxy 3 right? Don't worry, they'll make something like that in a few years and they made 4 of them in the last decade so there's plenty to play through right now.

Jacob Sullivan
Jacob Sullivan

I'm just saying, if you're going to make an open world, don't pack it full of filler. Put like, dense, meaningful content in it.

Evan Young
Evan Young

Someone post the webm

Luke Wilson
Luke Wilson

Also, I'm sorry if that was tedious for anyone who's already played the game, but I figured if you have then you're used to tedium already and shouldn't be too bothered by it.
wew lads

Thomas Morales
Thomas Morales

Why do you people expect it to have been SM64 remade with all the painting worlds back in HD?

Noah Bell
Noah Bell

Yeah why didn't they just make Mario: BotW? I mean it's not like that cost them 150 million dollars and 6 years of development lmao.

Alexander Watson
Alexander Watson

Are you trying to say that you actually think BotW is full of dense, meaningful content?

God you're clueless.

James Butler
James Butler

I haven't even played SM64 (or any Mario game for that matter), so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Nor do I care. I just want Nintendo to make a late game level that isn't as lazy and uninspired as the Mushroom Kingdom he describes in his video.

Benjamin Lopez
Benjamin Lopez

There's no open world game more dense with meaningful content. You either wanted them to make an open world game of or superior to that level of quality, in which case it would have cost them far too much, or you wanted them to make a linear game, in which case they will make one in a few years so stop crying about it. Either way, get over it. Galaxy 3 will be here in a few years, be patient. I prefer the games like that myself.

Gabriel Moore
Gabriel Moore

Stop fucking shilling your trash channel here, Hamsterson. Fuck off.

Adrian Lopez
Adrian Lopez

No, BotW is full of copy-pasted, repetitive content just like Odyssey is. The only meaningful content is very sparse.

Jason Long
Jason Long

I'm retarded
Okay.

Landon Adams
Landon Adams

Really weird, but you seem to have forgotten to list an open world game with more dense meaningful content than BotW. I know you wont but feel free to reply with it now.

Juan Powell
Juan Powell

Nah

Carson Stewart
Carson Stewart

he presents evidence aka. tries to show something as objectively as possible. Most of odyssey complaints could be made by a large amount of people as opposed to being something very specific to particular person i.e. reusing the same shallow puzzles doesn't make for engaging gameplay (broad) vs I don't like grass in games so the game is shit, SHIT (very individual).

Xavier Young
Xavier Young

Keep seething, So(n)y bro.

Eli Hughes
Eli Hughes

You mean the video where a failed author spends 2 hours breaking all of Mario Odysseys collectables into the broadest categories possible, purposefully ripping them entirely from context to mindlessly shit on them and write them off as filler? All for the express sake of insisiting the game "Is not a masterpiece" because the main factor in his pisspoor analysis is an underlying ulterior motive that hinges on how OTHERS reviewed the game?

Yeah sure as hell sounds like an unbiased and holistic approach to judge a game on its merits like his other reviews were. Just so you know in case you're retarded, that previous sentence was sarcasm.

Dominic Price
Dominic Price

Plus, Crisp Rat is pretty funny, why wouldnt you want him as an internet boyfriend.

Jeremiah Powell
Jeremiah Powell

appealing to authority

What? Why? And to game journalists at that? Recently I'm really starting to not get people, are you havin' a giggle or are you really that not self aware?

Nathaniel Roberts
Nathaniel Roberts

It's not an appeal to authority, Switch got one 98 game and one 97 game and Sup Forums still isn't over it

Julian Sanders
Julian Sanders

You're a fucking fool if you don't think Josephs Odyssey video and his views on the game were heavily skewed by both his biases and outside media reception of the game, two things that should never be a factor in a serious critique of a product.

Bentley Ramirez
Bentley Ramirez

Switch got one 98 game
Now wait just a moment. Jim Sterling took a dump on BotW for attention so it's actually a 97.

William Morales
William Morales

Huh, it's almost like you think I claimed there was one with more good content when actually I just claimed that BotW isn't full of it. I wonder where you got that impression.

Actually, BotW could be the best open world game ever made and it would still clearly be full of weak, copy-pasted content and sparse meaningful content.

Angel King
Angel King

No, just triggering the consolewar babbies, that's all.

All sides are stupid. They cherrypick Metacritic, using it when their favored game gets 90+ percent, and saying it's stupid if a game on another console they don't have gets 90+ percent.

I love seeing a guy like Anderson who clearly doesn't give a shit about console wars just demolishing all the things these babbies consider sacred. The last two days have been glorious for this. So many triggered and butthurt Nintendo nerds.

Joseph Ross
Joseph Ross

Here is the thing though, in this case it's not really about the person but at what he presents. He shows facts before stating his opinions. You can ignore the person completely but he went through the trouble of collecting every moon and showing them and in this particular case it's not hard to disregard the person and see what he has to show.

Isaiah Harris
Isaiah Harris

So you're admitting you have a clear bias against the open world design schema and are just talking out of your ass, then?

Jason Wilson
Jason Wilson

Huh, it's almost like you think I claimed there was one with more good content when actually I just claimed that BotW isn't full of it. I wonder where you got that impression.
Because if you're arguing that open world games are inherently flawed then our discussion is pointless. There's no point in even discussing the game if you hate the genre.

Jack Clark
Jack Clark

What, are you defending another cuck now?

Dominic Butler
Dominic Butler

You forgot your trip, Joseph

Cooper Thomas
Cooper Thomas

Final Fantasy
Halo
GTA
deep
Fuck off you colossally retarded casual piece of shit.

Lincoln Moore
Lincoln Moore

Odyssey tries to blend open-world with traditional platforming. It does a lot of stuff well, but the copy-pasted filler content should not have a jingle attached. It's lazy game design that should not be hailed as a 10/10 masterpiece.

Asher Jones
Asher Jones

I love Odyssey, but if your defense is "lmao it got a higher credit score" then you are nothing but a drone who can't conjure up a coherent argument.

Jaxon Wilson
Jaxon Wilson

But I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that botw uses repetitive filler content just like odyssey does. There is no reason for an open world game to use these tactics for content.

you have a clear bias against the open world design schema
So the open world design schema involves copy-pasting content, now? Wow you must think open world games are really shitty...

Xavier Butler
Xavier Butler

I mean I'm all for switch fanboy bashing and i normally like his critiques but this one felt really forced the only real point was the same old nintendo bonus review points for making something not really groundbreaking and no reviewers acknowledging that it was a masterpiece for kids not long time fans.

Carter Hughes
Carter Hughes

Your mentality of condemnation centered around how others view the game is the crux of your entire perspective. The same goes for JA's poor excuse of a video. Whats important is how well Mario Odyssey set out to accomplish its goal: Blending open world exploration freedom with traditional platforming segments, which it executes in spades.

Seeing the jingle as anything but negligible is asinine and adds absolutely nothing to the discussion of the medium as a whole or within the genre. The jingle is 3 seconds long and even bothering to waste your time like joseph anderson did compiling all of it into a 2 hour video ammounts the total time as at or lower than 2% of the average playtime of 100+ for a full completion of the game. If that's not statistical insignificance I don't know what is. You'd figure a mensa member would know that.

Eli Martinez
Eli Martinez

Every mario game except super mario world and mario 64 is overrated shit, milking a gullible fanbase and their childhood memories.

Jace Foster
Jace Foster

Even if its score was 2 it'd still be one of the greatest games of all time, games like Mario and Zelda receive the most attention in gaming so clickbaiters like joseph do what they do. It's complete nonsense but reddit loves this kind of stuff, they think watching 2 hours of a retard ranting about nothing is interesting

Owen Richardson
Owen Richardson

why is his head so round

Jaxson Martinez
Jaxson Martinez

Blending open world exploration freedom with traditional platforming segments, which it executes in spades.
Odyssey certainly does this, but the end result is boring. It's fine if you like fun games and the nostalgia factor, but the design choices made for a boring game. The majority of the game is like doing chores and getting a piece of candy when you're done.

Jaxson Green
Jaxson Green

So the open world design schema involves copy-pasting content
Apparently, based on every post you've made condemning the content of the topical games as "Filler" with nothing but your own flawed reasoning to back it up. Any content in any open world game is going to be copy-pasted filler to you if doing any task even slightly resembles any other one or hinges on one or two mechanics.

Jace Gomez
Jace Gomez

calling someone you don't know or havent watched a contrarian
Why did you do this?

Luke Peterson
Luke Peterson

Seething Nintenbros nourish me.

Leo Hall
Leo Hall

But the end result is boring.
You see whats great about this is that your opinion on whether or not its boring doesn't matter. What matters is the execution, which was nearly flawless. The Design choices made for an amazing game that accomplished its goals wonderfully but fell flat to you because of how you approached it and your own tastes. The exact same can be said about Joseph Anderson.

You don't get to decide that a game wasn't executed properly just because you felt it was boring or was enthused when playing. The game provides all the tools and content in a cohesive and thoughtful enough way to allow for the highest capacity of involvement and enjoyment of the play-space as possible. Whether or not you take full advantage and enjoy the game for what it is and not what others see it as or what it is compared to its predecessors is your own personal hangup.

Evan Taylor
Evan Taylor

SMB3
overrated
m8 I will will fight you

Matthew Russell
Matthew Russell

Hi Joseph

Austin Nelson
Austin Nelson

Story content doesn't have to be filler. Using mechanics in new ways doesn't have to be filler. Introducing new mechanics doesn't have to be filler. Having a unique reward at the end of filler content at least helps justify the filler. Exploring a novel place isn't filler (at least odyssey is good at this).

I mean, we could argue what exactly is filler or not, but I'm sure you would agree that at least some subsect of the moons Joseph talks about are filler.

Benjamin Harris
Benjamin Harris

NOT TO MAKE ME COLLECT A LOAD OF SHITTILY PLACED UNINTERESTING COLLECTABLES THAT DONT EVEN SHOW UP WHEN I TRY AND EXPLORE THE LEVEL UNTIL IVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH IT ONCE REEEEEEEEEE

Jace Gonzalez
Jace Gonzalez

I don't understand this picture, did he actually say this and the game put it in to make fun of him?

Is he the streamer in the cam?

Ayden James
Ayden James

alright smb3 is pretty good but thats it.

Luke Flores
Luke Flores

I don't agree with arbitrary definitions. I also don't agree with the notion that for a game to be good or even great every single piece of content needs to adhere to these arbitrary anti-checks of "Filler." For instance the checks of what makes Sausage Roll a good game for Joseph Anderson only looks good on paper. It makes sense that each level expounding upon pre-existing mechanics would make for a good game, but resulted in tedium. If I wanted to I could boil the entire game down to "filler" because nothing more is done in the game outside of moving a sausage, and that the game hinges on manipulating level design instead of system mechanics to enrich the experience. I can only roll a sausage so many times before I get bored, even if they add new ways to roll the sausage or put more new stuff in my way to get the sausage from point A to point B.

The closest semblance to agreeing with Jospeh I have in relation to his video is the idea that a portion of the moons could have been removed and nothing would have been detracted from the experience if you approached the game as a completionist. Though that only looks good on paper. Removing these moons and creating an absence of familiar content in the worlds as they progress would detract from the whole, because games are always more than just the sum of their parts.

Nolan Campbell
Nolan Campbell

Should game developers determine how critics should analyze their games? Joe had a contrary opinion and showed examples of why the game didn't work for him. You had a different fundamental approach to the game that made the filler content more acceptable to you. No one's opinion is objectively correct.

Adam Thomas
Adam Thomas

He did say that, he said it during a stream which is why he has a face cam

Andrew Adams
Andrew Adams

Jesus christ, what a fucking moron. And people fucking trust his opinion on a platforming franchise? LOMO

Brandon Thompson
Brandon Thompson

tl;dr Design choices in games are always better framed as trade-offs rather than a choice between an inherently superior or inferior concept. Design choices aren't meant to be judged independently but in relation to the whole with a clear understanding of biases established beforehand. Relieving yourself of bias and embracing holism in approaching a product is the best way to review it and help others understand why it may have succeeded or failed to different audiences, and Joseph Anderson's been slowly but surely losing hold of that idea in every new video he produces.

Cooper Watson
Cooper Watson

That made the filler content acceptable to you
For someone insisting upon opinions being the key of the discussion you sure can't seem to quit treating your arbitrary definitions as facts.

Adam Morgan
Adam Morgan

you mean his autism got in the way of your autism and fanboyism?

Camden Gray
Camden Gray

Why though? He isn't doing traditional reviews with the goal of telling people to buy or avoid a game. He is explaining his biased opinion with a bunch of in-game examples.

Jaxson Watson
Jaxson Watson

I'm sorry. Copy-pasted tutorial-level content.

Gabriel Kelly
Gabriel Kelly

YA HAHA

Levi Morris
Levi Morris

He isn't doing traditional reviews with the goal of telling people to buy or avoid a game.
Firstly he's done this many times by tacking on an idea of what kinds of people might like a game he's reviewing and what kinds of people might not, which is a good thing.

Secondly He's almost always employed holism in his reviews with the object of weighing a game by its own merits, and has certainly never allowed outside perspectives or his own biases inform his perspectives of game design elements until his most recent videos. Thats part of the reason why this video is disheartening, its a turn away form what makes Josephs Videos worthwhile to further the discussion of the medium.

Dylan Martinez
Dylan Martinez

SMB2 is peak vidya ludo though

Ethan Collins
Ethan Collins

Oh shit, an autistic e-celeb said that the game I like is actually shit?! Well fuck, I guess I hate it now. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Brayden Ross
Brayden Ross

It honestly reminded me of No Man's Sky in how it was so desperate to give players some kind of rewards feeling that it would reward players with moons for just breathing.

Daniel Parker
Daniel Parker

falling for the classic "nitpick the one time [person] did/said something stupid and post it in every thread related to said person" bait

John Howard
John Howard

He isn't doing traditional reviews
That's exactly what he's doing.
Here's why I did or didn't like the game with two hours of examples
is a really shitty review under the guise of an analytical critique.

Jason Green
Jason Green

You're not wrong lel.

Easton Scott
Easton Scott

So you've just given up on even trying to see where I'm coming from just to be facetious? Why are you even bothering to reply at this point if you've already made up your mind so vehemently on the matter? Especially on the topic of a video deliberately fabricated to persuade its audience that a game isn't all its cracked up to be?

Lincoln Clark
Lincoln Clark

one time

Angel Nelson
Angel Nelson

video deliberately fabricated
Man, Nintendo kiddies are just so desperate to discredit Anderson in any way possible.

Blake Collins
Blake Collins

one time [person] did/said something stupid
Yeah, except with Anderson it's not one time but all the time.

Anthony Young
Anthony Young

So you've just given up on even trying to see where I'm coming from just to be facetious? Why are you even bothering to reply at this point if you've already made up your mind so vehemently on the matter? Especially on the topic of a video deliberately fabricated to persuade its audience that a game isn't all its cracked up to be?

Joseph Green
Joseph Green

The title of the video is "Not a Masterpiece." The object of the video is to convince the viewer against what others have claimed the game to be.

Austin Gomez
Austin Gomez

There really is no need in trying to discredit him since he does it himself constantly.

Luke Johnson
Luke Johnson

I've seen people post that ONE picture in just about every thread I've seen involving joseph

Tyler Morales
Tyler Morales

But seriously, the video has examples of why he thinks a lot of the moons are filler. Do you accept any of his examples as filler? Do you agree with that some of the moons in Mushroom Kingdom are way too easy for a late-game area?

Alexander Clark
Alexander Clark

If I wanted to I could boil the entire game down to "filler" because nothing more is done in the game outside of moving a sausage
Okay, but we're talking from a gameplay perspective here, and it would be pretty disingenuous to say that Stephen's Sausage Roll is full of filler from a gameplay perspective. It's always having you use mechanics in new ways. There might be a number of filler levels, but for the most part the game doesn't have much of it. You can think it's boring for plenty of reasons, but it's not filler. Although, just for clarity, I should add that, if you look from a narrative perspective, almost ALL of the game is filler. Very, very few of the levels evolve the narrative.

As arbitrary as my definition might sound, some of the puzzles in Odyssey are very obviously the same thing in a different place, and they would fall under ANY definition of filler from a gameplay perspective.

I also don't agree with the notion that for a game to be good or even great every single piece of content needs to adhere to these arbitrary anti-checks of "Filler."
I'm also not saying that great games don't frequently have some amount of filler. I'm just saying that Odyssey has A LOT of it.

Design choices in games are always better framed as trade-offs rather than a choice between an inherently superior or inferior concept
This is totally true, and I do think it's a mistake that Joseph didn't focus more on this kind of thing in the review. However, this particular argument isn't about whether the filler has a place in the game or not. It's an argument about whether or not the game has a lot of filler, to begin with.

Gabriel Howard
Gabriel Howard

So he sucks at playing games and he doesn't understand basic gaming terms is okay? You know where to go, kiddo

Landon Morris
Landon Morris

Should I watch the video even though I haven't played it

Jaxson Lewis
Jaxson Lewis

those YouTube comments
Why are there so many Anderson drones that suck his dick dry? How’d he even get popular in the first place?

Joshua Sanders
Joshua Sanders

Why do people watch these sorts of videos? I don't understand the appeal.

Jaxson Rivera
Jaxson Rivera

They spark a lot of discussion so I have something to argue about on Sup Forums.

Jaxson Price
Jaxson Price

Yeah, it's a very good and meticulously-researched video filled to the brim with convincing arguments as to why SMO is a 6/10 and not a 10/10 like the paid Nintendo shills are saying it is.

At the very least, you'll understand why Nintendo kiddies are so triggered right now.

Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson

Disingenous
Not if your approach to it is genuine and unbiased. The point is there's no difference in a perspective that cites the majority of stephens sausage roll as "filler" because of the perspective I stated. The definition hinges on that perspective and how it relates to the game as a whole. Like I said if I wanted to I could easily boil the game down to "rolling a sausage around" and not be wrong, nor be wrong in the notion that its not inducive to fun gameplay because it hinges on the level design instead of expanding the system mechanics it operates on, which is always rolling a sausage from point A to point B.

The reason I'm careful to frame this perspective is because its a flawed one that eliminates context. Just as Josephs broad compartmentalization of moons does to deliberately rip them from the context of the game on the whole.

You saying "Very obviously the same thing" doesn't factually make moons categorized in this way "the same thing." nor does it adequately condemn a design choice for using them the way they were used. This makes the notion of "any definition of filler" redundant, because this particular "gameplay perspective" deliberately rips collectables out of context to focus exclusively on superficial similarity.

I'm just saying Odyssey has a LOT of it.
And I'm saying thats only based on your own arbitrary definition and not by any informed unbiased perspective of game design in a holistic fashion.

This particular argument is whether or not the game has filler to begin with
Then its a very poor one that didn't need to be made and is completely out of place in Joseph Anderson's video library.

Jaxon Wood
Jaxon Wood

There are a lot of people desperately insecure about playing video games. They latch onto everything that makes them feel like games are true high culture art.

Robert Jones
Robert Jones

Im saying its autistic to judge someone's entire mindset falsely based on one or two things they've said

Andrew Phillips
Andrew Phillips

B-B-BBUT I WANNA DISCREDIT THE GUY WHO SAID MY GAME IS NOT A MASTERPIECE! I GOTTA DIG UP EVERY SINGLE SPEC OF DIRT I CAN FIND ON HIM! WAAA!

Isaiah Clark
Isaiah Clark

Make a two hour review attempting to put people down for enjoying a game
Can't handle the criticism
Kek. Is this proof he's lurking on here as well or did his Discord fanboys do the lurking?

Chase Butler
Chase Butler

Okay, so you're unwilling to even develop a shared vocabulary for what "filler" might mean, and so you're just going to say that we can't use the word at all. That sounds pretty disingenuous, yeah.

Elijah Baker
Elijah Baker

Yeah, those Nintendo shitters are truly showing their age with how immature they're being.

Adrian Young
Adrian Young

Shit, I forgot the screenshot.

David Myers
David Myers

It's not filler. It's fun exploration game!

Adam Williams
Adam Williams

Develop a shared vocabulary
Not when its arbitrary and non inducive to reviewing a product holistically due to the relative nature of try to define it. What constitutes as "Filler" to some varies heavily from person to person and then further from genre to genre.

Don't you think there's a reason you don't see words like "Filler" and "padding" thrown around in serious academic discussion of the medium? I'm not saying don't use the word at all, just use it carefully lest you look ill-informed or heavily biased, just as Joseph Anderson did in his video clearly heavily influenced by his own biases and outside perspectives, dampening the impact of the 2 hours he spent in what was supposed to be furthering the discussion of the medium.

Levi Ramirez
Levi Ramirez

The player just has to notice a moon and get to it with no difficulty progression.

That isn't true though. As you play through the game you notice there's a gradual shift in the proportion of explorative moons to the ones which require platforming challenge and the amount of platforming in the story part of the level.

It's obviously doesn't get to the point someone who's played the previous 3D Mario games will be repeatedly retrying during the main story. But you'd be lying or unobservant not to noticed to say that shift.

Ryder Howard
Ryder Howard

Seriously, how the fuck can you not pronounce Mario properly? What kind of retard is he?

Jordan Green
Jordan Green

He's having a breakdown over people on here, Reddit and YouTube calling him out on the walk in a circle challenge, expecting Dark Souls difficulty in a Mario game and his pronunciation of the word Mario respectively. See

Kayden Rodriguez
Kayden Rodriguez

Except he's not having a breakdown. You are, Nintendo friend.

Elijah Parker
Elijah Parker

okay just a thought but MAYBE he's poking fun at the huge difference between the types of comments on different websites

Cameron Edwards
Cameron Edwards

I actually really enjoyed this one.

I was tossing up whether to grab a switch and Mario Odyssey, but witnessing how the majority of the content is rinsed and repeated stuff (with not much extra complexity) I think I'll pass.

Probably looking for something a bit meatier on a technical level.

Chase Perry
Chase Perry

If that's the case you shouldn't be looking at Mario games to begin with. Doft Fort or Factorio might be more your speed.

Christian Morales
Christian Morales

Get a PS4 and Bloodborne. That's worth 10 times as much as SMO.

You can emulate BOTW on PC.

Asher Perez
Asher Perez

THIS!
Also don't forget to grab a copy of Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 for The PS4, much better games than bing bing wahoo kiddy cancer.

Landon Hughes
Landon Hughes

Why do I feel like this is disingenuous and fabricated? Either it is or Joseph succeeded in influencing an impressionable person out of a great experience with nothing more than 2 hours of asinine griping. Either way these posts are just sad.

Christian Taylor
Christian Taylor

okay just a thought but MAYBE he's poking fun at the huge difference between the types of comments on different websites

Nah he's trying to discredit critisicism by masking Sup Forums and redit seem contradictory . When he's just bad at the game but asks for dark souls difficulty too make himself seem better when he has great difficulty even moving a character in a circle.

Jackson Kelly
Jackson Kelly

either you're baiting or you're one of the most sorry, boring motherfuckers on the planet. go shill somewhere else console wars fag

Joshua Price
Joshua Price

user you and I both know the best thing to come out of Horizon Zero Dawn was that numale guy being attacked by a cat.

lol i got the pun

Alexander Thomas
Alexander Thomas

Nintardies are this upset
Keep crying soyboy

Isaiah Evans
Isaiah Evans

Not when its arbitrary
Well, in the time you've spent calling it arbitrary you could've instead helped me develop a definition we can share so it would hopefully be less arbitrary and we could actually have this discussion.

serious academic discussion of the medium
Please, not even meming, please point me to this serious academic discussion of video games.

Anyway, I think it's clear that Odyssey more than superficially copies puzzles, challenges, tasks, and events from location to location. If you don't want to call this filler, we don't have to call it filler. What we call it doesn't excuse it as a design choice. Of course I already know your next response, which excuses it as a design choice because of some holistic reason, which I would love to hear.

Camden Martin
Camden Martin

okay maybe its time to take off the tinfoil hat

Isaac Collins
Isaac Collins

When he's talking about how people on different websites are criticising him (albeit in different ways) and then says he's going to make an apology video, I don't think he's handling it well. Or he's one of those egocentric contrarians who will try to laugh off any opinion different to his.

Michael Rodriguez
Michael Rodriguez

everyone on Sup Forums

Guess how I know you’re a retard?

Let me educate you:

everyone
Is hyperbole and, unless you’re funny, it’s stupid

a majority
Is defensible and doesn’t make you sound like a simpleton

Austin Morris
Austin Morris

He made a joke. I thought he was the autistic one.

Anthony Rodriguez
Anthony Rodriguez

Again, everything he's said is retarded.

Isaiah Taylor
Isaiah Taylor

He's done it before

Easton Cook
Easton Cook

He's going to review 2B's game
He's going to compare it to Undertale, one of the best games ever made in his opinion
He's going to say it's shit
Can't wait for the people who are saying he's correct on all accounts with his Odyssey review to come down on him like a ton of bricks and say he's wrong when that happens.

Joseph Watson
Joseph Watson

Boasting about reading 1,800 comments and all the comments about a video on Reddit
How much fucking time does this guy have on his hands?

Jackson Garcia
Jackson Garcia

Seems like it, really. The narration he's trying to force just didn't stick, so it's time for deflection.

Robert Davis
Robert Davis

Undertale, one of the best games ever made in his opinion
Is this true? Why does Sup Forums like this guy again?

Wyatt Wright
Wyatt Wright

Stop responding to yourself, Nintendo kiddie.

Justin King
Justin King

https://www.amazon.com/Unit-Operations-Approach-Videogame-Criticism/dp/0262524872

Logan Ward
Logan Ward

This was my first and only post ITT, though.

Jacob Collins
Jacob Collins

Are the Nintenbros still upset?

Dominic Butler
Dominic Butler

holistic
This holistic guy has been making the rounds a lot in SMO threads, desperately hoping his mental gymnastics could get people to ignore all the evidence of shit game design JA laid out in his SMO video.

Ian Gray
Ian Gray

I think most NieR fans know it's a very flawed game on many levels and will appreciate whatever alternatives he suggests. The levelling system is completely useless, and the game is completely unbalanced. The majority of side-quests are filler fetchathons. I think he enjoyed the payoff in Route C, but there is also a ton of things wrong with the second playthrough.

I do see Sup Forums going a lot harder on him whenever he says in a video that Undertale is a 10/10 masterpiece. Sup Forums has a vendetta against that game.

Mason Ramirez
Mason Ramirez

Yep. Just look at this thread. It's fucking great. it's just like Dark Souls 2 threads when Matthewmatosis came out with that video. I can't wait to spam these videos for the next few months. It's a guaranteed Nintendo triggered response every single time.

Lincoln Long
Lincoln Long

Yep. Story-wise it's a 10/10 but gameplay-wise it's one of the shittiest Platinum games I've played, like a 2/10 or a 3/10. It's a terrible action game and a boring action RPG game. That's pretty much the consensus on the NieR general discussion threads.

Dominic Allen
Dominic Allen

what do you have to say about his main demerit towards Odyssey, that being it's mostly filler content?

Bentley Moore
Bentley Moore

thanks my dude, I'll check it out

The thing is that there could be a couple of gameplay excuses for copy-pasted content. Like, it's familiar and easy, so it's good to zone out on? I don't know, anything I think of is really weak compared to the arguments against it. Copy-pasted content seems like an active detriment to enjoyment in so many ways.

Colton Foster
Colton Foster

It's not asinine griping when you back up your statements with solid evidence. The number of moons in the game that cannot be justified in any way other than it being filler is easily 300, and until you can provide evidence like Joseph has done then you have no ground to stand on.

Sebastian Edwards
Sebastian Edwards

Matthew is so boring tho, also his videos feel very unfocused to me.

Henry Russell
Henry Russell

His best video is definitely his Devil May Cry commentary vid. He even says himself he think it's the best vid he's done.

He got my full respect after beating DMC1 on DMD difficulty with S-ranks for every mission.

James Torres
James Torres

I'm not even sold on the overall story being a 10/10, but the prologue of Route C was stunning.

Fans don't have anything constructive to say about it. They think the 'filler content' argument is disingenuous and that the game is focused on fun exploration. When critics argue that the exploration is boring, they say that the critics aren't playing the game correctly.

Joseph Howard
Joseph Howard

When critics argue that the exploration is boring
Critics didn't say that, only your cuck said that

Ryder Brooks
Ryder Brooks

Why the fuck does nu-/v/ suck eceleb cock so much? Literally who the fuck is this faggot and why should I care that he has a contrarian opinion?

Christopher Diaz
Christopher Diaz

You know a game is great when the only negative review it got creates so much buzz and controversy.

Dylan Davis
Dylan Davis

He probably hates every collectathon in existence because he thinks moons are korok seeds and are utterly pointless. He also contradicts himself by saying moons are so easy to get and then complaining about getting 500 moons to reach the darker side.
But I digress. If he's going to question why he's collecting moons in a game that's supposed to be a collectathon like 64, why is he even playing games like this?

Luis Smith
Luis Smith

Sure is a lot of Hamsterson's shills itt. Just can't go for a few minutes without sucking your master's cock hmm?

Joshua Carter
Joshua Carter

if I make my argument over and over again for several hours no one will be able to argue against me!
it's genius!
I regret watching this. He makes an incredibly huge deal about easy moons and how they're supposedly really bad. And throws alternative ideas that he himself assumes are better.
But he never even succeeds in conveying why the easy moons are even supposedly bad in the first place, let alone why his alternatives would even be better outside of his own personal bias.

How you can even ramble on for so long and get so little said is almost kind of shocking.

Christian Rogers
Christian Rogers

all these faggots who only look for new ammo to be used in console wars and do not care about vidya discussion at all
Just get trips so we can make you into our local e-celebs.

Austin Robinson
Austin Robinson

The fact that there are literally a bunch of people from his discord watching or even making these threads. Only so they can shitpost or defend him nonstop. Really is kind of disgusting.

Kevin Robinson
Kevin Robinson

is this the guy who doesn't understand how controls can be "tight"?

Elijah Moore
Elijah Moore

where is the contradiction? he's saying that getting 500 moons to get to the dark side is tedious, and that getting there doesn't offer a challenge worthy of the effort to get there.
also, collectathons don't just put the primary collectible literally sitting in the middle of the map, except for the most basic tutorial stuff. Odyssey never moves beyond that basic tutorial mindset

Ryan Allen
Ryan Allen

I'm not sure. Can someone post the image again?

Brandon Scott
Brandon Scott

I regret watching this.

Sure you did.

Colton Carter
Colton Carter

post discord

Lucas Ramirez
Lucas Ramirez

when the only negative review

When the only negative review is the only sensible review, then you know all the rest of those positive reviews are paid shills.

Carson Jenkins
Carson Jenkins

https://discord.gg/8gSBsYC

Benjamin Carter
Benjamin Carter

And throws alternative ideas that he himself assumes are better.
If his ideas are so good, why doesn't he make a videogame?
Legit question.

Grayson Russell
Grayson Russell

t. discordfaggot

Oliver Russell
Oliver Russell

Nobody posted the webm of this retarded "reviewer" trying to do 2nd grade shit
Why do you take this dope's opinion seriously?

Cooper Morgan
Cooper Morgan

he's saying that getting 500 moons to get to the dark side is tedious, and that getting there doesn't offer a challenge worthy of the effort to get there.
You could say the same thing about Galaxy 2 and its green stars. Collecting all 120 of them was incredibly boring and Grandmaster Galaxy wasn't particularly amazing or challenging. Yet he's completely fine with that? Seems hypocritical to me desu.

Anthony Jackson
Anthony Jackson

Sure, everyone is paid except him. Amazing argument.

Kevin Ortiz
Kevin Ortiz

doesn't know about word filters
discordshills go and stay go

Noah Myers
Noah Myers

It will never stop being funny.

Benjamin Flores
Benjamin Flores

t. Nintendobaby

Daniel Barnes
Daniel Barnes

And yet reddit unironically thinks he's too good at the game

Mason Long
Mason Long

Why doesn't a small YouTuber with a family to feed drop everything to make a videogame?
Hmm. Very legit question. He should just make one with all his free time.

Hudson Lee
Hudson Lee

what a fucking moron

Camden Robinson
Camden Robinson

Perfect

Kevin Perez
Kevin Perez

he was actually autistic enough to make this
Does Joseph's cock taste good in your mouth, discordfag?

Camden Jenkins
Camden Jenkins

he fully admits to having a soft spot for the Galaxy games, but he still admits that they suffer from some of the problems that Odyssey does. His biggest gripe with Odyssey is that the game never moves beyond a tutorial mindset. his example from Mushroom Kingdom is great, because it showcases how basic the puzzles are, and how they mostly waste your time by being basic retreads of other puzzles without offering any challenge. if we were to compare it to Banjo Kazooie, it would be like Mumbo Mountain. extremely basic puzzles designed to ease you into the controls and world. if the entire game was on that level then it would rightfully be called boring and tedious. for some reason Odyssey gets a pass on that

Easton Jones
Easton Jones

I get why he brought up dark souls now, he wants some street cred

Colton Ortiz
Colton Ortiz

whoa...this...is the power...of an intellectual gamer.....

Austin Harris
Austin Harris

Video game ""critics"", ladies and gentlemen.

Jaxon Adams
Jaxon Adams

Plenty of indie devs did it already.
Oh, I see, his ideas aren't that good after all.

Lincoln Watson
Lincoln Watson

discord shill

Zachary Sullivan
Zachary Sullivan

that is just sad

hurr durr look at me
fuck off retard
h-haha look at the haters!

Christopher Cook
Christopher Cook

Because, at the end of the day, he's just some guy on the internet who tells developers "this is how you should be doing this because so and so and so". He lacks the proper skill set to develop one.
He clearly has enough time on his hands considering this video is 2 hours long post-editing.

Nicholas Robinson
Nicholas Robinson

i can't make a counter argument, what do i do?
deflect!
come on man.

Justin Gonzalez
Justin Gonzalez

B-BUT MUSHROOM KINGDOM IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY!! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A BREAK AFTER BOWSER!! WHOS ALSO EASY BUT THATS BECAUSE ITS THE FIRST HALF OF THE GAME!! THE REAL CHALLENGE IS THE DARKER SIDE OF THE MOON BUT THATS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY TOO SO ANYONE CAN BEAT IT!!! ITS A FEATURE NOT A FLAW!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan Lewis
Jordan Lewis

oh man, you're gonna love the fact that he's making 4.5 grand a month through Patreon

Chase Morris
Chase Morris

Good shit Anderson! A legend among man. Mario will always be shit.

Jason Perez
Jason Perez

Only game developers are allowed to state opinions about games on the internet.

Jackson Reed
Jackson Reed

tfw game was too short
tfw will have to wait another 5-6 years for a new mayreeoh game

Joseph Bailey
Joseph Bailey

had to wait 14 years for a proper 3d mario

Lincoln Smith
Lincoln Smith

Saying "my idea is better than yours" isn't an opinion, it's a clear statement.
And if his ideas are really better, he should definitely develop a game. Unless it's a lie, of course.

Cameron Robinson
Cameron Robinson

He has a Patreon and gets 4000 dollars a month from his fans. And they wanted his thoughts on Odyssey. So he got paid to shit on Odyssey for two hours. That and YouTube ad revenue. Checkmate.

James Butler
James Butler

Does that mean Sup Forums is also reddit?

Samuel Torres
Samuel Torres

Good for him I guess?
Does this matter?

Not at all. He's free to speak his mind, but if his ideas are so great then I'd like to see him prove it. He can't of course.

Easton Torres
Easton Torres

All 3D Marios are easy, tard. Singling out Odyssey ain't gonna work for you.

Nathan White
Nathan White

he fully admits to having a soft spot for the Galaxy games, but he still admits that they suffer from some of the problems that Odyssey does
Now that we've established that, explain why he considers the Galaxy games to be the best in the franchise and the only game worse than Odyssey is Sunshine. Because if the Galaxy games suffer from even a few of the problems Oddysey has like he's claiming, they shouldn't be considered the best right?

Brayden Sanders
Brayden Sanders

The entire series is easy with the possible exception of the original, but that may just be me being bad as fuck.

Cameron Sanders
Cameron Sanders

Plenty of indie devs did it already.
And you think they're doing well? For every big indie success, there's a thousand failures, you idiot.

Aiden Lopez
Aiden Lopez

I don't see a contradiction.

Grayson Mitchell
Grayson Mitchell

all 3d marios involve opening a menu, grabbing a seed and walking it over to a pot, talking to a guy near the start for a star
There's easy then there's odysseasy

Nathaniel Lee
Nathaniel Lee

Shitposters spam this crap all over the board due to how it's prime shitposting bait.
And yet all the shitposting makes it close to impossible to even actually discuss any of the contents even if you tried to.

Juan Carter
Juan Carter

yeah, mario 64 never had any stars that you got for talking to toad, right?

Gabriel Mitchell
Gabriel Mitchell

SMW and 64 are literally the most overrated Mario games, lad.

Carter Roberts
Carter Roberts

Odyssey as a whole is worse than the Galaxy games. Galaxy games introduce concepts, and then expand on them and provide greater challenges using those concepts. Odyssey never does that while simultaneously reusing the exact same puzzles constantly.

Jackson Morris
Jackson Morris

game is tedious drawn out garbage
y-yeah well it's designed that way on purpose so you can't criticise it

Fuck off

Andrew Reyes
Andrew Reyes

He's stating his opinion as fact just like all of his "critiques".
"I don't understand why people think this game is a 10/10"
"This game shouldn't have been rated as highly as it did and I will explain why"
"Watch as I compare it to Dark Souls, a real challenging game, and such great Mario games as 3D World"

Adam Reed
Adam Reed

I don't know man, I remember getting a star in 3D World just by walking a meter backwards right at the beginning of the stage. Seems the same desu.

Leo Bailey
Leo Bailey

you've got some seriously flawed logic here buddy.
it has some of the same flaws, therefore it must be just as bad
Banjo Kazooie has some of the same flaws as Rocket: Robot on Wheels, therefore Banjo Kazooie is just as bad as Rocket

Levi Rogers
Levi Rogers

3 stars from toad is the same as 500 moons from peach and the taxi guy

Connor Myers
Connor Myers

Reminder that there hasn't been a difficult Mario game since Super Mario Bros 2 JP.

Austin Baker
Austin Baker

now you're pretending to be retarded

Kevin Thomas
Kevin Thomas

Oh that's right, I forgot that Odyssey doesn't have any platforming challenges at all and all you do is just butt stomp the ground for moons. Silly me.

Caleb Scott
Caleb Scott

Could it be any more fucking obvious that this guy is his own hype man?

Who's your favorite youtuber? Mine is JA
JA is so much better than CrowbCat/Super Bunnyhop/Matthewmatosis/etc.
New JA in a week, how hard will he BTFO [anything]drones?
GUYS JA JUST UPLOADED

who cares? who the fuck is JA?
OH LOOK IT'S THE JA HATER FORCE

This guy has done nothing noteworthy period, he's just the trillionth game overanalyzer to step into Youtube, and he's provably trash at video games

Jaxon James
Jaxon James

let's compare this dadcore autistic puzzle game to a 3D platformer aimed at children

Ian Price
Ian Price

E-celebs shill their channels here constantly, it's fucking annoying and threads like this should be banned.

Matthew Taylor
Matthew Taylor

just sage, report, and move on.

Andrew Long
Andrew Long

i never said that, and you clearly didn't read everything i wrote. Galaxy games introduce a power up, and then provide a series of increasingly more difficult challenges that involve the power up, or introduce a stage mechanic and then build on it. Odyssey on the other hand introduces the capture mechanic and then never moves beyond the most basic applications.
it seems like people defending Odyssey and blatantly ignoring things they don't want to see or hear

Robert Ramirez
Robert Ramirez

I'm talking about how he's putting the Galaxy games up on a pedestal and then openly admits it has shared flaws with Odyssey. Never mentioned contradiction, mate. Just think it's funny how he acts like the game is flawless at the start then admits it has flaws later on.
Are those games from the same franchise? Anderson ranked the Mario games from best to worst at some point in his video.

Aiden Brooks
Aiden Brooks

Yup, we already knows he spends time on Sup Forums too

Owen Hernandez
Owen Hernandez

What you said for odyssey is wrong though. I can already think of examples for the lava ball transformation. First you use it to simply move in lava, but then you move on to jumping into lava pits to keep the form

Landon Watson
Landon Watson

he never once said any of the mario games is flawless. he fully admits that they all have some sort of flaw, but others are worse than others and he provided his reasons as to why and gave examples

Alexander Harris
Alexander Harris

The Galaxy games are his favorite 3D mario titles. It doesn't mean he think that they are flawless. This is an Odyssey critique, not a full analysis of the history of 3d mario games.

David Richardson
David Richardson

Why did he consider Sunshine the worst?

Bentley Martinez
Bentley Martinez

if that is seriously the only example of "expanding on a concept" you can give for the fireballs then you must be actually retarded.
Galaxy introduces the cloud power up, and then introduces wind as a way raise or lower the cloud, and you must figure out the best places to put your clouds down so you can make it through the level.

Nolan Morris
Nolan Morris

He also thinks that movement in 3D world is better than in Sunshine and 64. So my conclusion is that Joseph Anderson is either actually retarded or merely pretending for views.

Eli Gutierrez
Eli Gutierrez

baby tier "expanding" is worthy of being called a masterpiece
holy shit, you're a literal child

Josiah Smith
Josiah Smith

You must be retarded for ignoring that there are examples. There are more for the fireball one too, such as the geysers and the boss. The same applies for the pokey bird.

Just admit you are wrong faggot in saying they don't expand on the transformations at all

Gavin Lewis
Gavin Lewis

I don't know all of his issues with Sunshine, but he mentions in the Odyssey vid that the FLUDD hover move was both too-slow moving and made jumps trivial.

Josiah Morgan
Josiah Morgan

Did I say it was a masterpiece though? Why are you putting words in my mouth? What is the purpose of your post?

Hunter Butler
Hunter Butler

It seems his ideas aren't that great.

Juan Thompson
Juan Thompson

I'll check it out, I've only seen some of his Mario and Metal Gear vids.

Thomas Gomez
Thomas Gomez

Do you agree that Odyssey didn't deserve all of its 10/10 reviews?

Jack Adams
Jack Adams

This is a good example of why critics should not stream. I'm not saying it's not funny how badly he fucked that up, but honestly, fucking up one challenge shouldn't completely discredit your opinion. I'm sure many of you laughing at this also fucked it up, or other easy challenges. People do stupid shit from time to time, and some people struggle with certain things other people find easy.

Nathan Ross
Nathan Ross

e-celebs are cancer!
except for the ones that allow me to shitpost again a company I don't like
woah

Logan Peterson
Logan Peterson

they *barely* expand on the transformations. they're the most basic and obvious ways to expand on the transformation. holy shit, you have to jump from pit to pit to stay as a fireball?! unbelievably innovative! how do they do it? you have to use the birds puke to get up to his face?! incredible! Joseph actually gave some ideas on ways he thinks would work for an expansion of the ideas present, specifically about the fireball.
https://youtu.be/kYJx5xt2cB0?t=1h42m41s

Kayden Wood
Kayden Wood

I think that people who are incapable of simply walking in a fucking circle in a video game should not be allowed to review them. You don't see any car reviewers who can't drive do you?

Gabriel Reed
Gabriel Reed

People do stupid shit from time to time, and some people struggle with certain things other people find easy
For someone who keeps comparing games to Dark Souls because of its progression and difficulty, it's hilarious how he failed to walk around in a circle when the game clearly explains what you need to do and that the arrows will dissapear after you reach a certain point. I think that's enough to discredit him if he's making out said game he fucked up a challenge in is a cakewalk.

Jacob Sullivan
Jacob Sullivan

you aren't allowed to make a single mistake, if you do then your opinion doesn't count anymore
i'm sure you're perfect enlightened beings who have never made a mistake ever since you're criticizing Joseph. if you've ever made a mistake then your opinion doesn't count

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page