RECOMEND ME SOME JRPGS!!

I've never played a jrpg, and want to try out the genre. I kind of don't like turned based combat tho. Is there any of them that play sort of like a Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta type game? Pic unrelated, I don't have any vidya pics.

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member.php?id=1019732
level5ia.com/product/crimson-shroud-eu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ffiv, nier, nier automata

Tales series is your best bet for the type of gameplay you want.
I recommend Vesperia, but Symphonia, Berseria and Of The Abyss are good choices too.

Is Automata a jrpg?

kingdom hearts series

>I kind of don't like turned based combat tho.
You'll just have to get over that. There are very few JRPGs that don't use some sort of turn based system, so if you avoid the majority of the genre you really can't say that you're getting a good image of the genre.
That said, try Kingdom Hearts.

Kinda? You level up and collect gp, there are items and equipment to buy or upgrade. It's first and foremost a platinum game but there are rpg elements.

LOL

MGQ:Paradox

Recommend /me/ some turn-based JRPGs. I've played quite a lot, most recently literally every EO game in succession, Atelier, SMT, Bravely, etc. I want something more niche and underground.

Have you tried Shadow hearts?

Persona 5 is unironically a great babby's first JRPG. Part of the reason why it's so talked about.
It's also turn-based but doesn't feel as turn-based as the worst offenders.

Literally the best series for you right here:

This

Romancing SaGa 2 got an official English release on PC for the first time back in December.
Give that a go.

I have not, thank you for the rec. I was just watching gameplay.

That's the ninth suggestion today for me. Guess I'm playing Romancing SaGa 2 as well.

Sup Forums always giving me hope.

grandia series, if you haven't already

OK, might try out

I HATE IT

Radiata stories

>stalking every single person in town

No

Have you tried Trillion? Its quite fun with how helpless you feel during the bossfight but the combat is pretty braindead imho after the first playthrough.

Tales of Zestiria/Beseria have realtime combat and sorta plays like the games you mentioned with the combos and whatnot.

Have not. Also obliged. Gonna search to see if I can play it off my PC.

I've seen it and it honestly looks...bad. Like, outright CH-style bad. Although I managed to suck it in enough to enjoy Mugen Souls. Is it at least better than Mugen Souls?

Trillion is more of a raising sim with cute girls.

I had a lot of fun with this, though I remember trying to get all of the different party members being a chore.

Tales of Vesperia, Ys VIII, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Nier Automata

If none of these do it for you, I doubt anything will within the genre

>Guess I'm playing Romancing SaGa 2 as well.

I think you'll be happy with it.
Be mindful that the game has a lot of hidden system, but for the most part they make sense, like putting gauntlets on an archer lowers their accuracy.
Scenarios generally have multiple outcomes.
One thing you're going to want to know is that after a generation switch (it will make sense when you get there) you can teach the new generation the old generation's moves by talking to the guys in chairs in the Formations room of the castle.

Kinda spoilery but super helpful info: Don't leave the Cumberland scenario for any reason until you finish the dungeon on the northern cape, you'll get railroaded into the bad end of that scenario even if you were winning

Star Ocean Till the End of Time was pretty good and it's not turn based

>get all of the different party members being a chore
That is the best part

I beat SaGa Frontier. I'm used to "Fuck you, I'm not explaining a goddamn thing and you'll enjoy it" gameplay systems.

Xenoblade series
The World Ends With You

I used to say this as well but EOIV changed my mind

jokes on you.. I just fapped..

Mana Khemia from what i remember was good.

Have you tried Fallout?

That's not a JPRG Todd you hack. you could've at least recommended Skyrim

>Jrpgs
Not a lot of luck there, friend. Maybe borrow Persona 5 from a friend and give it a try to see if you can get used to the gameplay, you never know.

Dude, most console JRPGs these days are real time
Even Final Fantasy is real time now

Tales

Kingdom Hearts as long as you don't care about the story

Your Mom's real time now.

HAH! got him guys,

-Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 13-trio, Type 0
-Persona 3:FES, 4-5
-Super Mario RPG
-Paper Mario

Disgaea 2

Maybe that's my bad then, I have a hard distinguishing real time JRPGs from Japanese action/adventure games
Like, is it an rpg when you get experience points? I don't know the criteria

>suggesting Persona 5 to get into TB combat
He's more likely to catch TB than gain any enjoyment.

that sentence doesn't make any sense.
Plus, P5 and its combat are both fun as fuck.

Try the world ends with you.
Also you should try Radiant historia, it's turn based but the battle system is really fun.

Trails in the sky / coldsteel games are great, lots of character customization and world building.

Xenoblade, Xenoblade X, and the late Tales of games are all really good non-turn-based JRPGs. Well, anything from Tales of Symphonia onwards, which is like a decade and a half, now.

Really, you'd be hardpressed to find a "big name" JRPG nowadays that is turnbased, ignoring Pokemon and Dragon Quest. Other than them, the closest you get are like Mario and Luigi games, but those still have action commands. Even Final Fantasy is no longer turn based.

Soma Bringer with the translation patch

when did Sup Forums start hating turn-based games? been seeing a lot of complaining and shitting on turn-based in the last year or so

That's a lie. I played 14 hours into that shit and it never got good. Trails in the Sky is one of the worst JRPGs I've had the displeasure of playing. It's just so painfully mediocre and uninteresting, the characters are even more one-dimensional than the Xenoblade 2 cast, the music is bland, the NPC dialogue is uninteresting (despite people trying to tell me it was great), the combat is easy, boring, and uninteresting, and the story really is not engaging at all.

Maybe you just have to not have played better JRPGs or have prior experience with the series? I dunno. I also didn't like Ys I and II for the same reason. Falcom sucks.

Forgot my pic.

And yeah, I played it on PC, but I doubt that playing it on a 240p handheld would've made it much more interesting. Especially since it looks like ass, even for the time it was released.

Some youtuber said something I'm sure.

I just find them boring. I just want a jrpg where you can pull of crazy crunchy combos like in dmc.

I think it's like how some people on Sup Forums can't stand 2d-platformers, or 3d-platformers that play like 2d-platformers.

Are there any JRPGs coming to pc in the next couple months that im missing? Right now I have Ys VIII, SAO:Fatal Bullet, FFXII Zodiac Age, Ni no Kuni 2, FFXV.

There has been such a barrage of pc ports in the past few months that its hard to keep up.

I don't know, I used to love older Final Fantasies but over the years I've just grown tired of that style and find it incredibly boring. I thought it was simply my taste that had changed until P5 came out and proved me otherwise, since it turned out incredibly fun. I'm not even sure what it does so much differently, perhaps it's just faster and more stylish so it feels more worthwhile?

>P5
>fun
Hmm, I sure love listening to angsty teenagers for 15 hours before the first gameplay starts.

>15 hours
Fuck off with this insane hyperbole. If you genuinely don't think the game is fun then lay out some points as to why.

We might be getting something from Bamco? Who knows. They're having their festival right now.

Only good jrpgs in existence is persona 3 and 4.

wrong

I feel like JRPGs have been going through a resurgence lately, after a decade of no one but Nintendo and Bamco producing even serviceable JRPGs. I certainly hope we get to see more interesting turn based RPGs, too. Not everything has to be real-time.

As long as turn based combat continues to move in the Bravely Default direction im fine with it. I honestly cant stand traditional turn based combat any more, ive done it too many times at this point.

I dunno, I still regularly replay Pokemon games (the good ones, not the Gen 6+ crap), and they're still good. Dragon Quest is good, too.

As long as there is a way to skip through the text, I have no problem with it. Black 2/White 2 are great about making battles quick. I can get a regular trainer battle over with in ~20 seconds, and it's great.

This, or any Falcom game for that matter.

Ignore this retard

Yeah, fuck off. Falcom games are shit. I can quite safely say I even enjoyed Tales of Zestiria over either Ys or Trails in the Sky.

I agree with you user, I found Zestiria to be more enjoyable than Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel. I really find the combat/character customization in the Trails series to be interesting, its just the rest of the game that makes it fall apart.

I certainly didn't mind a good equipment system when playing through it. After playing through Zestiria, Xenoblade 2, etc, I miss having a well thought out and interesting equipment system. The different elements and the spells and etc are certainly interesting, but the rest of the game was just so hard to get into.

And I didn't particularly like Zestiria, either. It had plenty of problems itself, like a retarded equipment system, messy and downright bad (at times) story, and the most homosexual protagonist in a story that has never sucked a dick. Just didn't sit well with me.

But Berseria and Symphonia are in my top 10 JRPGs of all time. Up there with Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade X, and DQVIII

artist pixiv.net/member.php?id=1019732

You might enjoy the Tales series.

Definitely recommend the Kingdom Hearts series.

if any of yall have your 360s hooked up still, go to the marketplace and download the tales of vesparia demo. you seriously cant tell me a game that gay and dull can be considered good. there is no fucking way in hell

Eh fair enough game is very slow. I like that every random fuck NPC is named and has a bit of story / progression theres the overly affectionate couple in that one town, theres the guy who has trouble holding a job cause he get bored easily who you see in multiple towns etc.

Main story spans across subseries so get to see different sides to same war where characters end up in other countries etc between trails in the sky and coldsteel. And I like the battle system a lot with positioning and turn order mattering has interesting decisions like is it more worth it to cast a quick to comeout but useless heal to guarantee boss doesn't get a crit turn or attempt to interrupt an adds magic attack etc.

Equipment system has stuff like armour pieces with crazy high defence that put movement down a ton. Lets you say slot in orbs that can counter balance the negative at cost of wasting an orb slot on just movement (when you could slot in better attack bonuses or an orb which gives better magic attacks). Maybe your party is better having a mobile tank that can use limited magic, or a tanky caster which can't dodge attack / move out of the way of enemy magic, or hell maybe the negative movement penalty on the gear isn't worth the extra high deference. These games, especially in the later coldsteel series give a ton of flexibility in the build system that I like a lot.

Is KH really a JRPG?

Is it a RPG made in Japan?

Technically, but the RPG parts are so insignificant it basically doesn't exist.

I can't think of a single jrpg that plays like an actual rpg, the definition of jrpg is essentially that there are numbers that go up

Shadow Hearts. Has a nice creepy atmosphere and an amazing soundtrack.

How about this level5ia.com/product/crimson-shroud-eu/

Never heard of this until now, so I dunno

Soulsborne
>inb4 "b-but soulsborne isn't a JRPG"

Giant tits ruin everything.

here's the best JRPG with real time combat

Any good animeme games out there with character customization?

Not a JRPG and has garbage combat.

>japanese role playing game
>not a jrpg

It's a roleplaying game made in Japan

>Dark Souls is a role-playing game
Funny, funny stuff.