Is this the most overrated console in history?

Is this the most overrated console in history?

The visual design is overrated (looks more like a toy than a game system - even by Nintendo standards. The games are overrated (basically everything except Melee are basically watered down N64 games). The system's power is overrated (it's weaker than the PS2 despite Nintendo fans' 15 year smear campaign against that console - the truth came out that the GCN couldn't handle Burnout 3 which is why it never got a port).

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_technical_specifications
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications
youtube.com/watch?v=Y6IF0li3y5Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

F-zero

Checkmate.

>The visual design is overrated (looks more like a toy than a game system - even by Nintendo standards.
Because video game consoles are toys.

>The games are overrated (basically everything except Melee are basically watered down N64 games).
No.

>The system's power is overrated (it's weaker than the PS2 despite Nintendo fans' 15 year smear campaign against that console - the truth came out that the GCN couldn't handle Burnout 3 which is why it never got a port).
No sane person would call it powerful, that's not why it has the reputation it has.

It amazes me to discover the Cube was weaker than the PS2 cause it had far better looking games for the most part (the Nintendo Exclusives anyway). Star Fox Adventures, Resi 4, REmake & Zero, Mario Sunshine, Windwaker, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion to name but a few.

I still vastly prefer it to the Xbox but it couldn't really compete with the PS2's vast catalog of games

It's about the last nintendo console that had AAA third party titles, imo Dreamcast is more overrated

No because it's superior to the N64 (the true overrated console) in literally every way imaginable

Yes. It's by far the worst Nintendo console, with rushed games, incomplete games, outsourced games that bare little resemblance to their roots, a shitty controller and the worst fucking bunch of millenials who cherish it.

No, it had the best exclusives.
If anything the PS2 was overrated with its bloated library and absolutly shit-tier perfomance in multi-plats and having no fun couch-coop games. The lack of 4 controllers was also disappointing.
I know I'm going to have a lot of weebshitters REE'ing at me but whatever.

The PS2 was only stronger on paper, in actual real world performance it was cancer. Some games like Russia With Love are unplayable because the lag and stuttering is abysmal on PS2.

Those AAA games turned out to be shit, though I do think everybody is too hard on Sunshine. Wind Waker was a fucking abomination.

The game cube was more powerful than the ps2

>Star Fox Adventures
Looked good by 2002 standards, but Jak 2 took a steaming dump on it.
>Resi 4
Gamecube was so weak they had to run the game in permanent letterbox. Yes, the PS2 port is worse but RE4 was originally a Gamecube exclusive so they hackjobbed the port.
>REmake & Zero
Pre-rendered backgrounds like a PS1 game
>Mario Sunshine
30 FPS and barely looked better than the 1 year older and 60 FPS Jak and Daxter
>Windwaker
Good artstyle, but technically very basic. That meme image about the game's technical prowess is literally a person expressing amazement at features that were standard for 6th generation games.
>Metroid Prime
Good artstyle, but technically very basic once you get past the "water splashes on your HUD" 2D effect.
>Luigi's Mansion
Nothing special

More like the most underrated. It was the last console that had passable third-party support and quality first-party exclusives that didn't rely on gimmicky motion controls.

Go to any college dorm in America and tell me how many guys have an N64 in their room compared to how many guys have a PS1 (or PS1 games and a memory card for their PS2) and then tell me which of the two was "overrated"

*last Nintendo console, I should say

>mfw I had the pearl white version that came bundled with that mario soccer game
>mfw when sold it to gamestop when ut was worth nothing vecazse I was a dumb kid
now I have to spend >100 eurobucks just to get one in raped condition

>game cube
>isn’t a cube

>vecazse
because*

>gamecube is weaker than the ps2
wtf i am reading? what the fucking flying fuck are you fucking saying? The GameCube was more powerful than the ps2 on a lot of domains, if not all specs, you just have to check wikipedia to be sure.
You want to compare something else than the length of your dicks, compare games who got out on both platform and stfu
ICO is a good exemple

I'm sorry user but there is no game on PS2 that looks as good as Starfox Adventures

It had Rogue Leader, so no.

>mario sunshine and wind waker
>third party titles

Discs were too small. They couldn't hold enough graphics.

yeah it is, shitty games(except fzero and mario strikers) and shitty hardware

>The GameCube was more powerful than the ps2 on a lot of domains, if not all specs, you just have to check wikipedia to be sure.
They're filled with fanboy misinformation and dumbshits who don't know how to read specs.

>compare games who got out on both platform and stfu
Black alone looks better than anything on Gamecube

The ps2 doesn't even have good exclusives

>Overrated
Thing about the situation in those times and what kind of people will overrated that console. If you can't, do it with consoles from the same company in the last 10 years.

>The lack of 4 controllers was also disappointing.
imagine being this desperate to use that as an argument

>They're filled with fanboy misinformation and dumbshits who don't know how to read specs.
How about you provide some fact, instead of crying of some conspiracy

It was an OK console but the xbox and ps2 are a lot better than it. Both of those consoles had better games in general.

>WW
>good artstyle
Imagine believing this

It can't be called overrated when it sold like shit and forced Nintendo to resort to cheap gimmicks from then on.

Here you go

Nintendo has been on a steady decline since the fucking SNES.

N64 had some good Nintendo games and thats about it.

GC literally only has like 5 good games.

>They're filled with fanboy misinformation and dumbshits who don't know how to read specs.
oh really so explain me why does the PS2 is weaker than the PS3 faggot

>F-Zero
>Metroid Prime
>Mario Sunshine
>Billy Hatcher
>Starfox Adventures
>RE4
>Luigi's Mansion
>Rogue Squadron games
>Mario smash/striker
>Melee

>shit
Nigga what. Gamecube had the most diverse and most fun list of exclusives with some GOAT multiplats it actually ran really well to boot.

No, this is.
The console before it was better. The console after it was better.

Nice source you got there

It most definitely is if you had friends to play with.

>Starfox Adventure
>Mario Sunshine
>Mario Striker/ Smash
>Fucking Billy Hatcher

Also

>RE4 Exclusive

No, Gotcha Force.

>nintendo - 9.4 GFLOPS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_technical_specifications
>sony - 6.2 GFLOPS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_technical_specifications

i'm sure your next line will be "fake news"

Here's another one I found and this one is sourced

Purple lunchbox is the most aesthetic console of all time

i use an old gamecube to prop up my monitor so my head/neck posture is right and im not tilting my skupp down. I'd use something else buy I cant find just a heavy cube anywhere

Sony's 6.2 GFLOPS only accounts for the vertex processing (Emotion Engine), while Gamecube's 9.4 GFLOPS is vertex processing + pixel processing (Flipper - which does both). The other thing to note is that most of Gamecube's vertex performance isn't programmable, but comes from a fixed function unit. So no, it's not fake news, but you're reading the specs wrong.

Also Gamecube's vertex unit lacks a post-transform cache, which means it has to calculate every single vertex, while PS2/Xbox can check the cache to see if the vertex has already been calculated because it was shared with another triangle. In practice this means that the Gamecube needlessly wastes ~30% of its vertex processing power while the PS2/Xbox don't.

>Starfox Adventures
>Billy Hatcher
>Mario Strikers
Jesus really scraping the bottom of the barrel there mate.

Those were fun games though.
>People still pretend Sonic was better than Billy Hatcher
Come the fuck on.

it doesn't matter if gamecube is weaker or stronger

all that matters is gamecube is the CUTEST console

GAMECUBE A CUTE

Love this nintenbro argument that one nintendo game is worth a million good games from other devs.

It is a good argument when is better than those other million games

It's literally a fanboy argument because you will always value your favorite games over hundreds of others of good games.

I fucking love it how this is an unironic belief of nintenfaggots. Just shows how brainwashed you sad fucks are.

Lewd

F zero is shit though. No skill required because the complete lack of driving physics and racing lines

This is accurate, all the N64 main games were a step down from SNES, after that it only got worse and worse

That only applies to Yoshi game

There's not a single game better than 7/10 on this list

What game would you consider a 10/10?

>Mario Kart has Yoshi
>Mario has Yoshi
>Zelda has Easter eggs related to Mario series which has Yoshi
Checks out

>F-Zero GX
>Killer7
>REmake
>basically watered down N64 games

F-Zero GX *****is***** a watered down F-Zero X

I see you are retarded, but dont worry it happens

Mario Strikers is the best 3D Mario game after 64 dude

Why has there, to this day, not been ONE single GC game on the Virtual Console? Are analog triggers really that hard to emulate?

Because the switch is shit, and you were able to play the GC on wii and wiiu

>Overrated

>Has the most criticized 3D Mario game that was rushed out due to time constraints
>Has Wind Waker, the most divisive game in the series due to its art-style, sailing, and was lacking dungeons due to time constraints
>Has Star Fox Adventures, a game that's in a completely different genre than the series is known for
>Super gimmicky Donkey Kong game
>Sold like 22 million units in its lifetime

Jesus christ, leave the poor purple box alone. Also overrated and underrated are gay faggot words which basically mean "something everyone else likes that I don't like" and the other way around.

The Wii and the Wii U literally had a GameCube inside (in fact, the Wii was literally an overclocked GC)

Yeah should have said that, in fact the wiiu should have been bc, the fact that they are just GC with another shell is the reason I stopped buying Nintendo shit

Okay but most PS2 games looked like absolute ass compared to gamecube games. Show me a game that looks as good as Star Fox Adventures while running at 60 fps.

Wii U actually had a totally new GPU to Gamecube/Wii.

Gamecube and Wii didn't even use fucking real ATi/AMD GPUs. They used ArtX GPUs that were rebranded as ATi/AMD.

Wii U uses an actual AMD GPU.

Reminder that the PS2 port of Resident Evil 4 had to be severely downgraded.

>Show me a game that looks as good as Star Fox Adventures while running at 60 fps.
Ratchet and Clank. Gamecube is my favorite, but don't rope yourself into bullshit graficswar arguments like this.

>Show me a game that looks as good as Star Fox Adventures while running at 60 fps.
Jak 3 (also Jak 2 which looked pretty much the same)

youtube.com/watch?v=Y6IF0li3y5Y

Reminder that Mikami had to be forced at gun point to port it to PS2 which is why it's shit

Ratched and Clank looked like dogshit, are you kidding me? And I'm not talking about the game as a whole, they're one of my favorite PS exclusive franchises.

Of all the hills to die on, you're choosing a very stupid one. You're free to act as contrarian as you like, but the whole PS2 trilogy is hailed as a technical marvel. There's a good reason there was such an uproar when Into the Nexus was revealed to be 30fps.

Star Fox Adventures doesn't look that great. What people usually point to as looking appealing in that game is the water or something cause it's so reflective.

But if you look closely it literally uses cheap N64 style reflections (albeit at a much higher resolution) which don't account for perspective properly.

you may not like it, but this is what peak hardware design looks like

You know it was a dark time when the only fun Nintendo game was actually made by Sega.

Gamecube was the feels before reals console. Lots of dull, padded out games that relied on muh atmosphere muh immersion muh comfy as a crutch.

Dreamcast was ahead of it's time.

>hack wii
>download nintendont
>shove everything that matters into USB hard-drive
>get best controller ever made

maximum comfiness

RE4 was hardly exclusive, a PS2 version came out like a year later. REmake or RE Zero would have been better examples. They are multiplatform now but stayed exclusive for a lot longer than RE4

> the truth came out that the GCN couldn't handle Burnout 3 which is why it never got a port
Half right, the reason why Burnout 3 never came out on GCN was because the discs weren't big enough to store the entire game. The console itself was fine, it was just limited by the lack of DVD.

>best controller
Third best, sweetie.

>The games are overrated (basically everything except Melee are basically watered down N64 games)
i mean Metroid Prime WAS by former Turok devs in case you had no idea, and better than Turok.
but really, but calling it overrated is nothing but indication that you're a retarded Superfag

>the reason why Burnout 3 never came out on GCN was because the discs weren't big enough to store the entire game
That's bullshit. 90% of the game would have just been soundtracks? Too big? Just prune a few songs.

Real real reason is pic related.

This is

I'm still waiting him to deliver

That would be the ps2

that's not the n64

That guy should play Metroid prime or Rogue Leader some time to learn how to actually make a GameCube game

>overrated
Didn't everyone hate this console? What are you talking about? It sold less than the wii u

wow that dude is bored as fuck

>That guy should play Metroid prime or Rogue Leader
Both lack the physics and animations of Burnout 3. Hell, the one thing both games have in common is they almost totally lack any physics or animations.

It sold 21.74 million. That's more than Wii U's 13.56 million, though still rather low.

This. N64fags claim it's the best multiplayer console because
>muh four controller ports
Even though all it has going for are Mario Kart 64, Smash and a couple of mediocre FPS's. All the fighting games on it suck.

>Didn't everyone hate this console?
Yeah, but all of our Nintendofriends have been screaming HIDDEN GEM CONSOLE for the last 10 years

GameCube was the perfect system with siblings. Xbox and PS2 were all owned and played by single child kids. However Xbox was better for local MP than PS2. My brother and I played most games together, and when my other brothers got older we would 4 player shit all the time. It's not as much about the power of the hardware at the time, as much as the functionality and how you use it. Because as a kid we didn't fuckin care, we were happy to have a console to play on together.

>a couple of mediocre FPS's.
You take that back. If there's anything Nintendo ever did right it was helping make Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a thing

That's nice, but I was talking about the N64. But now that you mention that, did the GC had anything other than Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO and Soulcalibur II when it came to fightans?

>Fighting games