Best in the series by a fucking mile. There's yet to be a game that matches it...

Best in the series by a fucking mile. There's yet to be a game that matches it, V was nothing but a pale shadow in comparison.

all those taxis though, on top of whatever car you run into is yours

You're 100% correct.

I think you choose the wrong picture buddy, here let me help you out.

>Sup Forums unironically likes gtaiv now

GTA is shit no matter the version

>try to drive a car
>its made of der butter

That's because most were children at the time who didn't have PCs good enough to play GTAIV on them.

Overrated as fuck
It's always been good, still the most alive feeling and genuine open world city that's ever been created.

The singleplayer, GTA race, cops and crooks and the freeroam was so much fun.

GTA V is the best game ever made. How the fuck is IV better in any way?

but there was nothing to do in IV

You cunts are as bad as the twats that say BOTW is just an empty world.
GTA IV is very clearly carefully crafted, every area is unique, the city feels alive, the people actually do shit. The radio stations are brilliant, the driving actually feels weighty, the world feels like it has a purpose. Shits all over every other open world game, fantasy or not, and the only thing that comes close to IV is Shenmue.

gray, dull, boring, bloated and buggy as fuck

It's just a couple of contrarian faggots whose first GTA was IV that have been making these shitty threads all day.

even if the driving wasn't god awful that wouldn't be true. the 3/VC/SA trilogy are all better than 4.

3 was groundbreaking but admittedly pretty flawed. SA was good but too bloated with dumb bullshit and a worse map. VC is the sweet spot. best characters, best story, best driving, best city, best music.

IV is almost a masterpiece. It's so fucking close. San Andreas was decent at best. III's alright. Didn't play Vice City. V's a complete fucking joke.

The driving is perfect. Holy fuck. Kill yourself.

yeah bro i love driving ambulances and going to crime scenes in a cop car

also nice bait post idiot, shenmue is trash

what makes V THIS bad? can you explain? I just bought it during the xmas sale

>modding real cars into a grand theft auto game
you've completely missed the point.

hating on V's been a meme since that attention whore Crowbcat's comparison vid was forced into every GTA thread. It's a great game, no doubt.

Fucking thank you, Rockstar will never make a game as good as this again because, quite frankly, nobody can. It's bloody outstanding.
OP here, been a fan since the first game. IV just fucking nailed what a GTA should be.

>didn't have PCs good enough to play GTAIV on them.
You act like consoles aren't a thing.

Nothing, people are just faggots.

People bitch about how little there is to do in V, yet it dwarfs IV in every way.

People bitch about the "downgrade" of technology, yet completely ignore all the additions of "technology" V introduces and how simple it is to tweak V to your likings whilst having a fuck ton more content.

People bitch about the focus of Online in V, simply because they're uncreative fucks have no fucking friends and can't be fucked learning the tools to make their own modes, whereas IV was the perfect friend simulator and didn't require you to do anything other than go bowling.

It’s not my favorite, but IV has some awesome tech. I spent a vast majority of my time just dicking around with the physics.

I don't watch YouTube faggots.

V sucks due to the obsessive amount of polish. Shit's weak. The world's too bright and humorous. Not gritty at all. The driving's way worse than IV due to plebs complaining.

Doesn't even feel like Grand Theft Auto.

Was GTA 4 the first one you played?

>The world's too bright and humorous. Not gritty at all.
So like every other fucking GTA in existence, except for IV?
Nice to know you're an underage faggot.

Vice City is the worst city.

funny how those graphics looked extremely realistic back then

i fucking loved it when it came out. I genuinely thought and still think it is a somewhat flawed masterpiece

Vice City's driving is fucking awful, what are you talking about?

>Vice City is the worst city.

This. Vice City is a great game, but 3/4 of the map is irredeemable shit and 1/4 of it you never fucking use.

i agreed with everything you said up until shenmue. How the fuck is mashing A to talk to 300 poorly voice acted people before playing virtua fighter for 2 minutes supposed to be good?

I'm twenty-six. Kill yourself.

I downloaded a realistic driving mod and now its pretty good. Feels like a grid/ dirt game.

You know, I think I finally put my thumb on why I do have a sort of fondness for GTAIV, which stands aside from San Andreas and V.

GTA has always had badass dudes at the protagonist, right?
But what I've noticed is that, none of the characters except Niko struggle with having to live in that role.

GTAIII guy? Totally silent. Probably so the player can self-insert, but none the less he never shows fear or hesitates from his direction.

GTA VC? Vercetti is in a crime family from the start, and from the start he has no desire to just "escape". He wants to go right back in, and murder fucking everybody.

San Andreas? The doubtful disposition already came and went in the prologue, and when CJ returns just continuously builds momentum on a war-path to combat every group in the city.

But Niko?
He's been through hell already, and he's completely disillusioned on the "being a badass" narrative. He just wants to work and live with his cousin, and try having a normal life. He wants to forget about the closure he could never have, which as its hinted involved the deaths of many people dear to him.

But ah, America, the American dream, it takes money to make happen.
So he tries to take side-jobs, nothing too dangerous right? But more and more, he begins to get pulled further back into hell by exorcising the demons of the other criminals and vigilantes, in exchange for money. Working for more and more dangerous people, risking his own life more and more.

And when his chance for reconciliation is presented, his own demons come back to life, and he is absolutely torn about what to do.
Decisions in the game have consequences, and once again he's reliving his nightmare of loved ones being killed, and no amount of vengeance will bring them back.

All the other GTA games before IV always added something fairly new, right?
New guns, new vehicles, new combat mechanics, bigger maps. Always always always focusing on the gameplay, which, is not a bad call.

(Cont)

Keep going, this is a really good effort post.

>I'm twenty-six. Kill yourself.
I'm not sure what's worse, being an oldfag with shit, underage opinions, or being an oldfag and still being here.
>Kill yourself.
Sick burn gramps.

what about michael in 5 whose entire existence is having to live with trying to be a badass in his his youth?

>Niko struggling with demons
HEY COUSIN, YOU WANT TO SEE SOME BIG AMERICAN TITTY?
>not now Roman
>Roman reputation reduced.

Which game had vigilante missions?

Whichever one had it is the better game.

/End of Topic

Lets post what was wrong with GTA IV, I'll start:
>Friend-reputation system was shit
>Cars handled like there was a ton of bricks on the hood
>Climax was a little predictable
>Felt restrained in terms of wackiness
>Radio stations were not at the level of past GTAs

But GTAIV was the first one to my knowledge where really, they didn't add anything substantially new to the gameplay mechanics, they really just tweaked what was already there. They removed weapons, changed how weapons work, tweaked combat mechanics, changed the nature of vehicles to handle more realistically, vehicle crashes could result in instant fatal collisions.

Yes, they added multiplayer modes, but in that age of gaming multiplayer was expected for such a title.

What I'm getting at is instead of thinking in the mindset, "What new vehicle, crazy weaponry, or new feature in the city can we add" they focused on giving this GTA protagonist (?) more focus and depth then they had in any of the others.

And instead of the "lol we're criminals crime is what we do now let's rock this town pew pew pew" gameplay of all the other GTAs, the characters actually had depth.

All the other GTAs felt like comic books, and this one was a fucking graphic novel.

It's okay to like both.

>V was nothing but a pale shadow in comparison [to IV]
factual post. still saged though like most posts on this board should be

i really hated how nico looks fat in all the clothes

It's funny because for ages you had to have pale shadows on PC as it ran like shit

I haven't played the campaign for V through yet so, I can't really offer an opinion to this.

>except Niko struggle with having to live in that role.

Niko's "struggle" was the most half assed, inconsistent pile of narrative shit ever.

It was only there when the writers wanted to conveniently shoehorn their "toodeep4u" garbage in before completely disregarding it.

>You know, I think I finally put my thumb on why I do have a sort of fondness for GTAIV, which stands aside from San Andreas and V.

>and V

>I haven't played the campaign for V through yet so, I can't really offer an opinion to this.

Wow, thanks for confirming just how full of shit you are then.

IV had the police computer
V had the fugitive capture missions
Take your pick

typo, meant to put VC

It still does.

no planes = shit

hating 5 is Sup Forums contrarian nature at its worst

V's map is still shit. Los Santos is a fucking ghost town compared to Liberty City.

I don't hate V, it has the best missions in the whole series and the character change shit worked brilliantly. But the world was nowhere near as developed as IV's was. Fucking best open world game that's ever been made.

All that sucks about V is the map and the less fun physics. Everything else is perfect. VI will be the best game in the series if they choose a good location this time.

I like both but in terms of realism iv is far better, its pretty much better in every aspect but graphics and arguably gameplay. the amount of small details in iv still amazes me.

5 is great but I really hate how some of the cars handle. A lot of sports cars drift when I want to make a sleight turn. Also, I'm not to big on having the 3 protagonists, I much prefer a single solid storyline.

my favorite thing to do in gta4 was and is to summon/steal choppers, fly really fast down straight streets about 20 feet off the ground, jump out and try to survive the bounces. if you do it right, niko flies 2 or 3 blocks before stopping; but if youre skilled and lucky enough, you can survive it if you hit a car or garbage can or something

my other autistic hobby is get pedestrians mad - like cabbies or sanitation workers - lure them to the tops of certain roofs via the stairs, then fist fight them on the edges of buildings and see who falls to their death

I honestly find driving to places in a lot of the missions kind of boring in GTA4. Is this series just not for me?

there's no point, a plane would get you from one side of the map to the other in less than a minute. there's nothing to explore in the sky, all the detail they put into GTA IV is on the ground. and since they didn't have to accommodate planes or submersibles, there's more detail to be seen.

The 3 protag idea was alright but what ended up happening is that they diluted one good protag into 3 mediocre ones. Imo they should have split the game into three pieces and then you switch characters with different chapters instead of hopping between them

V = best missions
IV = best story
SA = best gameplay
VC = best music
III = best atmosphere

>It's just a couple of contrarian faggots whose first GTA was V that have been making these shitty threads all day.
there, I can do it too you faggot. GTA VC and GTA LONDON are the best

shits boring bruh

this
I like the game but the morality shit could have been handled a lot better.

>play it the first time
>drop it because everything feels depressing and it runs like shit
>buy a new computer years later
>play it again
>get hooked
>It ends suddenly

Why? Why does it end so fucking suddenly?

GTA IV is easily the best in the series, and it still has arguably the best physics out of any game

>Trevor
>Michael
>mediocre
Literally the best protagonists since Vice City. Only Franklin sucked but only because he was shoehorned in.

So tired of this meme GTAIV was always fucking garbage.

How can one user be so right?

This is actually the worst gta ever made

GTA V should have been Mike and Franklin where Mike raises him as his own son and dies protecting him, thus redeeming himself. It would have been pure kino.

Michael is the villain, not the protagonist.

They were both one-joke repeated over and over.
Michael- fat and his family hates him for no reason; going through a midlife crises
Trevor- Edgy and CuHrAzY

>VI
>with V making them mad cash

Doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Protagonist does not mean good guy

That would have been good, also maybe should have given Franklin more of a backstory

Funny, I liked Franklin the most since he was mostly just your average guy trying to make something out of himself.

OP is a Neogaf poster. Before the Neogaf invasion it was consensus that IV was a disappointment and failed to live up to the 3D Era. Then after Neogaf started subverting, GTA IV magically became DA BESS

5 just needed a little more weight in the car handling and more satisfying gunplay and it would be easily faraway the best. Quite frustrating really.

Trevor is just an edgy saints row like cringy fuck that only edgy teenagers like.

I thought it was really cool at the times, up until I tried to enter a plane...

Are gaffers allowed to like GTA?

yeah Franklin was chill. better than edgelord galore trevor.

>mod in real cars in a sea of fictitious ones

Breaks my immersion

this. The only thing i liked about Trevor was his meta-commentary (Like the torture scene) and his rampage missions were fun

Well, GTA IV was their first GTA, so yes.

and better story with no trevor, and the ability to buy mansions like in SA or gta v online. Also actual two big cities like in original SA.

Can we just acknowledge that San Andreas is overrated as shit and is only touted as the best in the series by nostalgic retards who can't put their kiddy glasses away and realize that it aged like shit?

>garbage gunplay
>garbage graphics
>garbage animations

>two big cities like in original SA
You mean three small cities?

they felt big at the time

they're big
for you

>"Let's see who can say the word "fuck" the most"
>Best protagonists since Tommy

Okay you can fuck right off

It's good when in comparison to 3 and VC due to the changes. You can swim and manually aim your gun. You can also customize cars and drive around in a large map. You want to fly a plane? Have fun.

>grey street
>grey sidewalks
>grey signposts
>grey guardrails
>grey buildings
>grey horizon
>grey-blue sky
>even grey tint in all the trees
Jesus fuck, what an awful sight.

>It's good in comparison to older games because you can do things like manually aim and there's a big map

Lad are you fucking kidding me with this argument

that was before gunplay was a real consideration for them. when they assumed that most players wouldn't mind using auto-aim. IV was the first game where they clearly spent time refining the free aim mechanic.