Why are beat them ups a dead genre?

Why are beat them ups a dead genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U3gYwjLWjs8
youtu.be/uVSvbYP88Yg
youtube.com/watch?v=D8vsNj3GJO8&t=131s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

this is relevant

It's becoming a popular genre for indie developers.

Hopefully we'll get some good ones soon.

Does this count?

Games don't ag–

Nobody knows how to play them. They see one credit clears as a self-imposed challenge. And having infinite continues removes any reason to play carefully and plan, making them mindless and repetitive. The people who might be the target audience stick to newer, more accessible games like God Hand and DMC, to an extent.

If you want a good modern one, Fight N Rage on steam. The dev has a pretty clear understanding of how the genre works and what makes it fun.

Fight'N Rage is a good one, try that out.

This game is a beat-em-up? I thought it was a top down shooter. Is it worth checking out

>beat-em-ups a dead genre
>Yakuza 0 released last year as one of the highest critically acclaimed and talked about games

???

Final Fight aged very gracefully. It's still a very mechanically tight and intense games. It has shitty boss fights, but that's normal for a 2D beat em up.

Lack of creativity, also very few beat em ups from the 90s were undeniably good. You can count them on one hand.

Streets of Rage Remake is phenomenal, however.

I wish Capcom would dig deep and revitalize Final Fight, maybe with new mechanics, alternate paths, and some kind of multiplayer gang/turf war modes.

>he hasn't played denjin makai 2
Objectively the best belt scroller of all time

Musou games are watered down beat em' up.

You smash people with a metal pipe.

Musous and hack n slash scratch the same itch
Anarchy Reigns was probably the closest to a modern beat em up

There are quite a few ones, especially on the arcades. Pretty much all Capcom arcade beat em ups were good. Konami had some real gems too, like Violent Storm, Batman Returns and Vendetta. Lots of more overlooked games that are really cool too, Ninja Warriors Again, Guardians, Undercover Cops.

They're not. Your modern day beat em ups are like the Ninja Gaiden's and DMC's and Bayonettas now.

>musuos
>require constant grinding to unlock a full moveset
>no blood or gore
>are either extremely shallow or filled with shit loads of content, no in between

Why can't we just get a game that combines the brutality/fast pacedness of Ninja Gaiden, the OP feeling and fighting of mass number of enemies from Musuo, and building destruction like Red Faction Guerilla

How was that game?

They realized they can never top Streets of Rage 3 and Remake so stopped trying.

The only one who ever come close was Scott Pilgrim.

Completely different style tho

Scott Pilgrim was basically a re-skin of river city ransom with faster pacing and no backtracking.

Supposedly river city rampage was supposed to be in development but I think it got canned.

River city Underground got released last year but I don't know if it was any good.

I mean yeah because it's 3D instead of 2D but that is what your traditional beat em up has become these days.

It's not just the extra dimension. The biggest change is that the games started deriving depth from mechanical complexity rather than positioning and turned into something very different as a result. If it was just the extra dimension then all the games would be like God Hand and Urban Reign.

besides dragon's crown, you can't really have a full price belt scroller now

Scott Pilgrim isn't that good. It very narrowly avoids going full shitter like dragons crown.

I personally can't think of another good modern beat'em up though. I love how SP had satisfying hit stun like SoR2. Most modern beat'em ups are just mash city that overpush co-op and online play where it feels like you're just spamming buttons. "But with Friends!! So its okay!"

>scoot pilgrum
just a heads up for the sake of the thread, you can emulate the ps3 version with all the dlc perfectly
kinda mandatory because they removed it from the store

This is how it is with shmups and other arcade style games. No one knows what a 1cc is.
It's fun, but no. It's not a beat 'em up at all.
>Fight N Rage
This is really good.
>Yakuza 0
Literally never heard of it, but I just watched a few minutes on youtube and it doesn't look like one at all.

It didn't translate well to 3D. The western industry is just rediscovering 2D beat em ups.

I haven't tried many indie beat em ups. Russia bleeds looks fun.

Fight'N Rage is ludo

I've seen that and wasn't sure if I should try it out. I didn't like the music in the trailer (much) and I'm very big on beat'em ups having 10/10 soundtracks.

Is it actually good? Did you like Castle Crashers? Cause that was praised to hell and back and I thought it was garbage.

Because even when new ones come out that evolve the genre with dodge mechanics or types of experience points, reviewers can't get their small brains around anything that isn't instant Press X To Win.

No Castle Crashers is shit. Fight'N Rage is an all around solid game, though. It's fast paced (has a turbo mode which makes it even faster), fluid movement, really solid polished mechanics, a nice variety of characters (Ricardo is all about crowd control, Gal is all about combos, and the other guy is a mix), is decently challenging (though suffers from the console beat 'em up curse of showering you with extra lives) and even has fair boss fights.

The genre couldn't recover after peaking with Godhand .

Tell me about it.

They also gave the original Monster Hunter a 5.5/10. Something like that. When the series hit the PSP and got popular, they changed the fucking score. Hilarious.

Nice. I'll grab it based off your words then. Got a 17hr plane ride coming up soon and I'll need all the help I can get during that.

Thanks, dude.

who /mutation nation on switch/ here?

As someone who shits on castle crashes regularly, fnr is pretty damn good. Pick it up on sale.
Also, play Guardians/Denjin Makai 2 if you haven't. GOAT belt scroller.

>belt scroller
yamero.

Look up a guide to learn the combos. I didn't understand the combo system at first and was confused as fuck but it's good. There are branching paths for the levels.

It's enjoyable but gets pretty repetitive towards the end with backtracking and fighting the same groups of enemies each time you enter a new screen.

Nigga the game has a built in tutorial mode that teaches you everything you need to know

>Telling a retard to stop acting retarded.

I wish some dev picked up where battle circuit and sengoku 3 left off. Hopefully, SNK makes another beat 'em up.

whoa a bit harsh there buddy

The only "modern" beat em ups(i mean dmc-ish games) that actually qualify as beat em ups are Monster Hunter and 3D Phantasy Star games. Even then they barely qualify due to both being heavily based on grinding, Monster Hunter being a weird-ass boss rush version of a beatemup, and Phantasy Star being absolutely overflowing with RPG elements. They qualify as beat em ups because they hold true to the basic beatemup design philosophy of positioning being the most important part of combat. Every other modern attempt at the genre has leaned heavily on DMCs' i-frame dodge mechanic being the central feature of combat which rewards timing rather than positioning. You have I-frame dodging in MH games and Phantasy Star Portable 2, but they're just a supplement, not the primary defensive mechanic. Other modern beatemups can only be called beatemups at all because The King of Dragons, Tower of Doom, and Shadow Over Mystara made significant use of timing based defensive mechanics as well, such as the blocking in all three games, and the i-frame dodge Moriah has in SOM. The difference is that those games still heavily rewarded positioning, whereas that shit doesn't matter whatsoever in most games released these days.

You're stupid. Get over it.

>The only "modern" beat em ups(i mean dmc-ish games)

Can you consider Yakuza a beat-em-up?

>Russia bleeds
It's fun. Fight N' Rage is better. Dat trailer do youtube.com/watch?v=U3gYwjLWjs8

God Hand has iframe dodges but is still heavily reliant on positioning because you have very limited movement and enemies will surround and kill you, especially on hard. Urban Reign is also all about positioning. Funnily enough, the Souls series captures the positioning aspect decently enough too during its more hectic group fights that Soulsfags will call cheap.

Throwing this thread a bump due to legit discussion.

>Castle Crashers
>Castle Crashers
why so much hate ;_;

Well gee, I guess Onimusha and Soul of The Samurai have it too. Hard to tell when you can just use counterattacks to instant-kill nearly everything though. Also humorously positioning is a thing in metal gear survive as well. Konami would have to pay me to call that a beat em up though.

The game is loved by like everyone. I hate it cause its mashy nonsense. I don't usually "hate" games but its definitely one of the very view. Wasted money, time and it pushed beat'em ups as a whole in the wrong direction.

DMC style games or musous ARE modern beat em ups ya dumb fuck

I think calling Yakuza games beat-'em ups is fair. The core gameplay is walloping dudes in the streets. They even have little names over their health bars.

Because games like Dragon's Crown and Murumasa are as far as you can take them

While games like Godhand and DMC are the logical evolution.

I've never really played any beat Em ups but the Final Fight ones. They really need to make a new one. You have tons of characters to work with.
>Guy
>Zeku
>Maki
>New mayor Cody
>Retired Haggar
>Lucia
>Carlos
>even Guy's fucking wife

Yeah when iframe dodging or countering is the dominant defensive strategy it ceases being anything like 2D beat em ups, but there are games that feature those mechanics but make them limited or risky enough that you still need good positioning and crowd control to survive.

>Fight'N Rage
wel, it looks like shit ...

It looks nice once you disable the shitty filters. Only complaint is that it's too much of a fan game, needs its own identity.

hey, I just said that it looks bad, I don't know about the gameplay, but if I can take off filters and it look nice, I will try it

The combo system looks much better than most I've seen in a while. Gal has big swangin' titties as well.

Black Ops 2 was a good game.

youtu.be/uVSvbYP88Yg
heres a vid with most filters turned off. Still has the glow thing enabled I believe but yeah.

Mother Russia Bleeds. Play it now

DFO is pretty popular.
>tfw loved Fight N Rage but it sold like shit

>Why are beat them ups a dead genre?
>Final Fight
>Final
Because it was the final one.

Yakuza is the logical evolution of beat-em-up games

I swear to fucking God.
youtube.com/watch?v=D8vsNj3GJO8&t=131s

Maybe if they improved them by removing all the story, open world and rpg elements

oh good. It's been a while since I could use this.

one more vote for Fight n' Rage. really good and shocking amounts of replayability.

Belt scrollers are a hard sell, but I'm sure the reason for the sales is the lack of online multi player in a genre where multi player is half the fun.

this so much

It's a bad genre. Iet it die.

t. millenial cuck

Soy opinion

Watching this it's so obvious that they didn't know about or immediately forgot about the fucking Dodge button. Pretty sure that dodging attacks gives you a power up too, so there's no excuse to disregard it. What a shame.

>Iet it die.

What about it?

>"and when you get killed by a tank boss because you couldn't buy more lives from a store..."
Jesus

A better game than beat'em ups

What's wrong with them?

What's the story behind River City Underground? From what I remember, everyone was following it but there was backlash on release. Then a legal case?

Something about the person who did the music wanted all the rights to the game or whatever. Or just the music itself. I forget.

prepare for the typical le mindless button mashers bcuz I cant stop myself from using unlimited continues response

To be fair this game looks awful. Was DD4 any good?

Something about the soundtrack artist wanting more money, filing a lawsuit to copyright the songs, and keeping them all to themself causing the game to be delayed, go over budget, and release with inferior tunes. I think that's the gist of it.

I wish they weren't. They were so fun. I miss 2D in general. But I guess the kids only wanna FPS and/or PEEVEEPEE now.

>tfw loved Fight N Rage but it sold like shit
Maybe if indie game devs that make retro games like this didn't fucking despise online coop so much.
>BUT MUH COUCH
I wish I could cram their couch up their ass.

The community is terrible basically, they got that fighting game community style of causing anal pain in your opponent and calling it banter or salt or whatever, it's really childish and immature.

Netcode is hard. Netcode that isnt total dogshit is even harder.

To be fair, the whole game is made by one dude minus the music, and he's ESL to boot. It would be great if he hired someone to help him set up net play.

Dragon's Crown was godlike

Gameplay is shallow and gets boring fast, not very fun to play alone.
It was really designed for local multiplayer with your bro. And to eat your coins.

Even one of the best beat em ups ever made, D&D Shadow over Mystara is completely dead on Steam and you can barely find a random game.

And what do you know, the artist happened to be a tranny. Who would have though trannies are mentally unstable.

>opponent