Why run any other distro?

I prefer Debian Strerch.

you tell me

Why would you want ancient software.

But I run Fedora 25

Because Gentoo exists.

Actually why run any other OS?

Because Fedora is a hassle to setup.

Especially if you need non-free software.

Solus is much better.

It really isn't. Literally just download the rpmfusion .rpm and click install.

I know fuckall about linux and use fedora on my laptop.

Wayland does not work well with Intel Graphics apparently. Otherwise, I would use it.

i prefer another distro

If your GPU doesn't support Wayland it automatically falls back to X.

It's not that it isn't supported. It is just laggy, which is weird, because it wasn't like this in Fedora 24 (in which Wayland is just buggy, but smooth). If I'm using X, what's the point? Why don't I just go use Ubuntu Gnome or OpenSUSE?

Because Fedora has more up-to-date packages and a much more stable implementation of/integration with Gnome. Ubuntu Gnome is buggy.

Solus

because opensuse

great KDE integration vs somewhat ok GNOME integration

You shouldn't have to use third-party rpm for basic softwares and drivers. It's literally the only reason I'm not using fedora

I tried fedora exactly once, for ten minutes, because it sucked

1.- Debian stretch gets the new packages 3 days before Arch for 68% of the packages they have in common.
2.- There's nothing wrong with old versions anyway.

Completely unnecessary on any good distro.

I run fedora on all my computers (except my vps running centos) and I love it. The only other distro worth considering is opensuse imo.

>You shouldn't have to use third-party rpm for basic softwares and drivers.

And software patents shouldn't be granted. But if you're a big US corporation you work within the bounds of the law (sometimes).

Works fine with the igpu in my 4790k.

>Fedora has more up-to-date packages
See OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
>and a much more stable implementation of/integration with Gnome
Other than semi-correct HiDPI scalling with plymouth (Doesn't work ootb unless you use full disk encryption for some reason), everything else can easily be achieved.

But he's talking about ubuntu gnome you fucking retarded shill

>using gnome
good one

Doesn't work fine for me on my i5 5200u.
Look at what he is replying to.

Debian has them so I use debian. I don't give a shit about US companies.

Man. I'm so torn Fedora is looking really nice right about now, but I've come so accustomed to Arch that it's kind of hard to for me to do the switch. Can you guys sell Fedora for me?

There's no good reason to use Fedora. It's more bloated than Ubuntu when I compared them last year.

If you want bleeding edge and stable, Solus is your best option as long as it has all the programs you need.

this guy is a retard

arch is for kids, fedora is for adults. Linus Torvalds uses Fedora with GNOME.

Fedora is more stable then Arch, but still super up to date. Also Fedora has some cool shit that red hat is working on like firewalld and cockpit for fedora server by default. Fedora also has really nice gnome integration and dnf is nice. Also the anaconda installer is just fantastic and let's you do multiple setup things while it's installing.

Are you expecting anyone to take you seriously?

If set up right, Arch isn't unstable at all.

Why do I need a reason not to.

bc neckbeard meme name

This meme that arch isn't unstable is total bullshit. Eventually some package will break your setup, unless the only packages you use are like some minimalist bullshit like a tiling window manager and terminal is all you have. If you want to use a full desktop environment arch WILL break eventually.

I use Xubuntu because it's stable, easy, and I'm used to apt.

Because I want.

(ib4 RedHat shills explain to me that not one person should have any freedom of thought if there is such a great distro as Fedora exists.)

True, but you can just disable Wayland.

This. I loved arch for a while but I got tired of it after having to fix shit every time I did an upgrade. Its too unproductive for a workstation.

the only thing going for fedora is the tech behind their package manager.

This desu

>not using zypper

DNF is fucking SLOW though

Why run any other distro?

I tried fedora a couple of times but it always fell apart during the upgrade process. I like having newest versions of my OS without having to do a clean install every single time.

I upgraded from 24 -> 25 on my desktop and from 23 -> 25 on my server, without any major issues, and it's not like I didn't have a shitton of non-official packages/repositories.

Wayland is fucking unusable for anything other that the most basic setups. Lacking even an alternative to xrandr prevents any kind of integration in my vfio setup.

because 25 is the number of critical bugs you will notice the first time you boot up

this

death to redhat and GTK

I'm using fedora 24. Once support ends I think I'm going to switch to debian. I've accrued a lot of bloat so I'd like to start over.

That's not how you spell Arch.

How do I make fonts look as good as Ubuntu on this thing?

Because Mint is the comfiest distro

>muh security
Then don't pick the option to hold back updates

Nvidia optimus

Because when fedora 26 comes around the upgrade process will fuck up so badly you'll have to reinstall the whole thing.

Arch is rolling release and has the latest version of software. Unlike Fedora it doesn't keep you waiting like a retard for "major" upgrades.

Newsflash chucklefuck -- that can and will happen on any distro. I've had yum spontaneously corrupt its entire database before.

Corrupting a package database is different from breaking packages fuckhead.

No, it's worse. One is planned and predictable and comes with detailed docs. Other is nobody's fault but the Red Hat fuckos who wrote the stupid program and made it impossible to fix

Yum isn't even the default on fedora anymore, it's been replaced by dnf.

No reason. Just werks.

There is NO REASON to be using anything else

Good news then. It was a piece of shit

PackageKit insists to download a 50MB repository-cache every 30 minutes on my 3rd world country internet.

>systemd
>QA testing RHEL for free

Actually I was replying to Ubuntu Gnome. I made the mistake of doing an Linux Install Party based on it for students on my uni assuming it was the stability of Ubuntu + the just werks of Gnome. Bugs up the ass, we're going with Mint or Fedora next time.

I can, I use both. Arch has very little downstream changes to packages, so Arch with Gnome will be almost the same experience as Fedora, except with better OOTB experience. Arch is the best distro, yes, if you have a weekend to spare to set it up. Fedora is THE distro when you just want to get shit done (with rpm-fusion, but that's pretty simple to set up).

repos

Because I refuse to do free slave labor for Red Hat.

Also, systemd is cancer.

>KDE

I like the opensuse logo thingy

Because I was burned multiple times in the past by borked Fedora releases

Because I don't want to be an unpaid beta tester for a for-profit company (redhat)

Because Fedora integrates new software that is knowingly broken and not ready (Gnome 3, systemd, wayland)

Because aptitude is better than dnf and yum and dpkg is better than rpm

Because apt was better designed since the started and didn't need a whole new tool to fix it (yum -> dnf)

Because Debian exists and has never let me down

use korora instead or peppermint

Why even ask?

More a Wayland question...
How much of X is removed when you use Wayland?
Is there stuff to replace xinput, xrandr and xmodmap?
Eg xmodmap is my main reason for using gnu/Linux over anything else, so will I be one of those who cling to an old system?

feels good OP.

DESU though this is my personal, non-business laptop. I do primarily run CentOS 7 on my workstation and VM's because my clients tend to run RHEL7 and I need to keep everything similar to what they're doing.

so you're using Slackware or a BSD then?

I just gave Fedora a shot a few days ago
>install it
>install Synergy
>client version is too old to connect to server

Meanwhile Debian Jessie's package works fine.

because I'm super happy with antergos

Because was needed to make 24 fedoras before making fedora 25: the first fedora with mp3 support from start. Meanwhile on Gentoo I can play mp3 without this gstreamer crap.

Because i'm competent enough to install a good distro, like arch.

>install latest xorg
>is not compatibile with ati drivers
>wait 3 month
>repeat

Works on my machine.

If package management wasn't such a hassle on Fedora I'd have easier time making the switch. I've tried Fedora a few times, but I always come back to Arch for the AUR.

Shame that YaST is ugly as fuck. It looks like they cobbled it together in a couple of hours.

That's German engineering, eh? Functionality over aesthetics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>ati
wew

Ubuntu is a joke and Canonical have given up on it. For 16.04, you couldn't even install a .deb file properly and they failed to address that removing Ubuntu Software would render some of the right-click Dash functionality redundant.

Canonical are abject failures - they just haven't realised it yet.