Other urls found in this thread:

daedtech.com/how-developers-stop-learning-rise-of-the-expert-beginner/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well obviously it will take a while to get fast learning a new system

>65 wpm
Are you retarded or something?

>poke buttons with index fingers for 15 years
>90wpm

You'll be surprised how fast it starts feeling natural.

I was hoping it would take like 3 days to get me to my speed since its not particularly fast.

no. but that would explain a lot

>3 days
Yeah, no. Even if you type 12h each day it's unlikely.

speed doesn't really matter.
There was this old professor at my university. He would type with only his index fingers. Anyways, he would write a lot of papers, published quite a few books.

I type around 100 wpm and don't really use a home row at all, I guess my hands default to left hand on awef and right hand on kop', but they can be shifted left or right as well between typing. I never chose to do it like that it's just how my muscle memory developed. I'm assuming if you only type at 65 wpm that you still have to look at the keyboard to type, if that's true you should definitely prioritize learning to touch type over memorizing which keys to type with which hand, that is only a tool used to teach new typists with no muscle memory how to touch type. Just stick with whatever you are comfortable with and focus on typing without looking at the keyboard.

Maybe he actually was an idiot? There's no need to type fast if you can't think fast.

It doesn't matter how fast you type, you'll never match the speed of your thoughts unless you're mentally deficient.

homerow and finger placement is all bullshit. I have my fingers resting on aert jip' (double-space intentional). It's just more natural, it's how the hands are shaped. Fingertips don't form a straight line.

so it would take me weeks just to get to me previous speed, that's fine. I have a lot of free time I think

would it be better if I keep going with the pace I am right now. Because I feel like there's no going back.

Or maybe the people typing nonsensical stream of consciousness style are the idiots
Maybe it's worth thinking about what you write down in for half a second in a scholarly paper or public book
He's probably not just typing "Sudo rm -rf" over and over what he's typing is probably worth thinking about

>you'll never match the speed of your thoughts unless you're mentally deficient.
Yah, if all you're writing is shitposts.

Thanks.

it does feel unnatural. particularly having to lift my wrist. I was thinking maybe it was because I am still not used to it.

I guess it depends if you are a hunt and peck index finger only kind of typer or if you have any individual home row like me or . If you have literally no muscle memory for typing then you might as well use the suggested home row technique, the only important thing is to learn typing without looking at the keyboard.

me aswell

Using proper typing technique is a pain in the ass. I'm half way between 'proper' touch typing and doing my own thing.

I 'peak' at about 90wpm when typing in plain English, but that number drops a lot when I'm typing more complicated stuff with a lot of obtuse symbols.

The big thing is I hardly ever use my left pinky, and really only use my right pinky for shift.

>so it would take me weeks just to get to me previous speed, that's fine. I have a lot of free time I think

You will get extremely frustrated every time you make a mistake and you'll make them A LOT.

But not only that you will not be able to revert back to the way you used to type!

Be ready to abandon using a computer entirely because you'll spend a lot of time at

I do the opposite, meaning I shift with my left pinkie. I think my left hand is getting acquainted by all the typing I do.

I can actually see some fruits for this ordeal which is quite nice.

It's not even worth relearning. 65 wpm is perfectly fine unless you're protocolist or the likes. It's simpler and more efficient to increase your speed with your current technique and get to 90-100.

Just use a program/game like pic related for like 30-60 mins a day, and you'll pick it up in a couple weeks. Everyone in my school learnt this shit when we were 14, you can do it too user.

Also, if you're going to learn, don't skimp on learning the number keys and the symbols.

I have 120wpm just mashing the keyboard.

it might save me a bunch when I need to write thesis and essays on an all nighter. Also, 65 wpm is slow isn't it?

Typing nonstop, I could finish a two page paper in 5 minutes.
Clearly the typing speed isn't the limiting factor here

I type at 110WPM () but I still have to look at the keyboard when I'm typing some symbols

sound boring to be completely honest. But I'll keep the numbers and symbols things in mind coz I still have to look on the keyboard for things. I think having a print out of a keyboard would help out a lot.

I'm the guy that made that post, and I do too. I regret not learning them when I learnt to touch type in the first place, it's especially annoying when programming.

It's a little boring, but there's usually enough constant improvement that you actually feel like you've accomplished something each lesson.

When you're writing a thesis and the likes, the speed of typing doesn't affect much since you're always working with multiple drafts either way and the spelling in your first draw can suck all the penises without slowing you down. As long you can type something legible without looking at the keyboard it won't matter whether you at 50 or 150 wpm.

I went down from 120 to 65-64 due constant switching keyboards and languages and still get everything writing related done as fast as before. (Most of my work consists of typing, and 5-10k words a day is nothing special)

I used keybr for about a month everyday. Got me to about 70 from 20. I'm happy. I use red theraputty if my fingers tense up.
Playing piano also improved my posture, but I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you're passionate.

This is somewhat true. Main thing for me is that my index fingers always return to f and j. Open hand, relaxed positions are more robust.

o hey keybr is pretty good.

>not practicing with the greatest typing game of all time.

>teaching your hands to type gibberish

>mfw iv only used 2 fingers to type

>go from 95 wpm to barely 30 wpm with homerow

I will never succeed at this rate

>type with one hand
>70 wpm

better than the fjfj jjff that I've been doing for a while

I mash my keyboard with mainly three fingers and this is what I get. I don't even like my own technique, but it's worked for me for the past 10+ years. More power to you for learning to type properly.

>tfw type normal words pretty quickly (90 wpm) but typing things like braces and special characters slow me right the fuck down

give it a solid month until you get to steady 90+ wpm

then rejoice in having learned a valuable skill, taking that victory and using it as motivation for other long-term goals

and eventually stop being an underachieving piece of shit

This. I never learned to properly type. I mainly use my two index fingers. I tried learning Dvorak but basically nobody else uses it and I'm not bringing my own keyboard everywhere with me or constantly trying to change people's keyboard layouts.

>want to speed things up
>want to be more accurate
>learn proper finger placement
you're doing it wrong OP

the 10 finger “proper” system won't get you far. if you want to hit 150-200 wpm you need to break the rules and break them frequently. Finger movement becomes your bottleneck otherwise

I'd be pretty happy if could get my 65 wpm with proper technique. Then perhaps I'd push further to break the 100 wpm mark. One step at a time though.

Well, the thing is I look down on the keyboard whenever I type and that doesn't seem to be the way to go.

to break the rules, you must know the rules though. Right?

yeah, this, when I was in my teens I used whatever finger was fastest (often used my index finger on my left hand to type C, for example) but now that I switched to doing things the proper way I'm no longer able to break 120+ wpm like I used to.

Back in the day I practised just by talking on IRC and various in-game chats where speed is key. Don't know if anyone besides Sup Forumsentoomen still uses IRC, but at least we are Sup Forumsentoomen.

I've never typed faster than 140 wpm on a typing test. I become confused and can't hit the keys which I attribute to my own poor technique.

The left side of that chart is basically entirely wrong because it doesn't account for the angle your hand comes in from which is opposite of the key staggering. Try to hit C with your middle finger while your index finger is on F for example.

>Well, the thing is I look down on the keyboard whenever I type and that doesn't seem to be the way to go.
So look up? It's not exactly hard. Your fingers already know where the keys are without you looking

I had the same problem holding a knife. Held the knife wrong for years, and didn't improve. Learned proper technique and got 5x slower for about 2 weeks, then I got better. Now I chop things faster than anyone I've ever met.

>use 4 fingers
>type at 150wpm
>sometimes 200
is this the gift of autism or what?

dont you bring your whole hand down? I've never observed.

that's what I'm trying to eliminate, and I think I could keep it up.

I am hoping to get the same results as yours.

Get blank keycaps.

I haven't looked into mechanical keyboards yet as it seems to be an incredibly expensive hobby/thing to get into and has a slippery slope tendency.

put electrical tape on your keycaps.

man that would force me hard, I might do it gradually. like my left hand keys, i would put a white out on it then progress into the right hand side.

You can get a starter mech for 40 to 60. Check the general.

>being < 30 and not knowing how to type in 2017
what the fuck lol

If that were the case, he'd simply apply short bursts of speed typing.

Code moar

you don't learn everything in a whim, especially if it's a re-learning. daedtech.com/how-developers-stop-learning-rise-of-the-expert-beginner/

>fucked up right at the end
>screw up word, backspace wrong amount of times
I need to train my accuracy for the most part, reaching 100% accuracy would yield me 160 easily, as simply backspacing and rewriting takes me about 3-word time to fix.

I stand corrected, I guess, though I did do backspaces yet it didn't count wrong letters so I am not sure how does that work? It might count wrong letters only if the word itself is wrong, and it counts the length of the whole word?

What's the point of proper finger placement?
I rather just type like this
>use my index/middle fingers for typing
>thumb for space
>pinky for backspace

orly? This is what happened when I learned to touch type. (typeracer.com)

I am using a membrane though

they do if you curl them.

now that's what i call a keyboard warrior

I failed typing class in highschool because I refused to use home row, but I could do over 60wpm doing whatever I wanted. I still type like a retard and can roast most people on type racer doing 115wpm.

> try to get used to US keyboard layout
> get used to switching y and z around within minutes
> have to test out most of number row and anything right of P / L / M if I want to type anything but letters or numbers
REEEEE

Been touch typing for about a year. 'Proper' placement, DVORAK. How do I get properly fast, i.e. 150+? How long did it take you to do this?

using my superblack switch keyboard, cant get above 120 on anything else
i dont use homerow

140wpm using a logitech k120
The secret is to actually try to improve even if it means often doing typos and having to correct them. Same with high mouse speed.
Place your fingers based on comfort and not some sort of shitty graph. My left hand rest on either QS or QWE, right one either on mouse of hovering above right windows key

what did you just say about me you little bitch?
i have 300 confirmed kills you're fucking dead kiddo

>switch from remapped keyboard
>barely 40 wpm instead of 80

I've only ever learned the 'proper' technique. I wish I knew how to unlearn it and what to do instead. Sean Wrona, Izzy from typeracer (who ever that is) and Michael DeRoche all say that they type with their own method and that the official one is rubbish. Maybe I should just fuck it and learn plover.

Using my filco majestouch

I recently switched keyboards, not comfortable enough to try a typing test yet

I don't actually know, I been typing for as long as I been (heck knows), and never actually followed any tutorials. I been typing around the same for 4-5 years in terms of technique, I believe, and I ended up just making my own. My right thumb is never used for spacebar, I actually press Y with my left pointing finger, and other such small quirks that you'll never read or be recommended to do. I think the best deal is to type the way you are comfortable, or you think you'd be comfortable with.
I personally use QWERTY by the way.

This. I type on on home row, but there are gods that type with nonstandard placement, just like there's GOAT musicians that hold their instrument "wrong".

I have 95 with proper homerow, I don't see anyone could possibly not just naturally find their way to homerow. It's like swimming or riding a bike. It's just something your body can naturally figure out on its own.

Also, wpm doesn't matter for shit past a certain point. How often are you actually typing for a minute straight?

It's worth mentioning that even though I do use home row, I don't do the "proper" reaches and never use my right pink for shift. On 10fastfingers I usually get 120-130WPM.

Six finger typist here and I can confirm it's working well

keybr is legit recommend it to all hunt and peck plebs

Most of these tests are way to easy, pick a story and report your wpm.

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

Six finger is good. I literally only use the index finger on my right hand. That's a whole hand used for exactly one finger (apart from the pinky, which is only used to hit Enter). It's telling that usually it's the right-hand inputs that fuck me up.

what I did to improve was putting on a movie or serie and in a very small window one of those typing practice sites and just do it nonstop

>typing properly: 50wpm

>typing my way: 100wpm
both with 0 mistakes

>can type regular words and frequently used symbols ((),.;'":-+=)
>never get any of these symbols right (@#$%^&*)

>Using my filco majestouch
I just tried using all my fingers and got 17 wpm. I can normally get 75~.

I just found out I only use 3 fingers on my left hand and pinky for shift and 2 fingers on my right hand and 3rd finger for ; ' / # and enter.

Need to learn a faster method.

I believe that, at least for me, its hard to get used to the typing in the right way is that after spending some time practing I just lazy the fuck up and end up typing like a retard for speeds sake