REEEEE

REEEEE

>already gone through 2 out of 5 SICP chapters and learn python the hard way
>gone through a HTML and CSS book, typing the examples but it was so boring
>doing the same for a PHP/MySQL/JavaScript/CSS book bit it's so damn boring
>gave up on going through book
>just want to make JavaScript 2D vidya or maybe a website

How do I actually make stuff? It doesn't matter how well i know loops or sorting, it always feels like I'll permanently be one tutorial away from knowing how to do anything.

I could just google everything but it is infuriating trying to find answers and I will never know whether or not I'm missing something big.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=Gw0K7nNlwxxzpD_g9Hj4vw&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just find the library that does what you want and start fucking around

you learn the logic first.
then get a library, google "x y" where x is what you wanna do and y is the language.
then all the useless logic is useful because you can use it for minor things where it's needed

Lmao everybody gets really confused when they move from shitty console programs to actual shit. If you want to do a website, you'll need to learn a bit about how websites are hosted. For easy website hosting, check out heroku.

do you want to code or program? your listed languages and use cases are like a perfect 50/50 split.

start with, like, idk React or Angular (angular 1, not the typescript bullshit unless you wanna learn a new language)

Look at some examples or simple pages built with the technology. Figure out what each line of code does. From there, manipulate it to make it do what you want.

Oh but make sure you know how to write loops and functions and stuff first

$5.38 has been deposited to your heroku shill account

Use typescript regardless. You'll thank me later

Heroku shill

Get a job, they'll tell you what kinds of programs to make

typescript is nice and all but it's kinda memey and we don't know if it's gonna stick around. not ideal for a n00b

>learn python the hard way

Firstly stop hopping around languages and stick to one.
Secondly, stick to python.
Loops, sorting, arrays, this is all core logic that you cannot make things without.

do competetive programming / hacking challenges

what you consider now practical is actually useless shit

Pick a project you wanna do
Research how to do it
Do it

Stop fucking around with tutorials.

Get some knowledge of the basics, then try building whatever you want. As soon as you hit a dead end either look online for someone that had the same problem or try to retrace your steps and find another way that doesn't create the problem in the first place.
Just don't stick to tutorials, most of that stuff is cancer. Especially LPTHW.

Didn't we have this thread already some time ago?

>do competetive programming / hacking challenges
Competitive programming is useless shit.

SICP is a meme, user.

You fell for the "feminine penis" of Sup Forums;

The art of programming books has a strategy for writing big programs.

You (on paper) sketch out what your main program will do. Then you break up that program into subroutines (helper functions they are called now). Then you further break up those subroutines.

To start, you begin by programming on of the subroutines and slowly work yourself towards the main program. Once you get to the main program often you will trash the entire spec and rewrite it, which is fine since you can still use those subroutines.

TAOCP explains this much better in Vol 1. I also suggest getting the book 'Practical Common Lisp' as it shows you how to make things

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_media_hash=Gw0K7nNlwxxzpD_g9Hj4vw&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

OP confirmed for absolute autist

/thread

SICP is still the only book you will ever need to learn how to program, esp when combined with the ancient video lectures.

The fundamentals of programming never change. After reading it get all the information you can on testing (there exists a SICP test library too) and start doing test driven development.

So for this, you would write a spec exactly what that subroutine function would do. "Take this real number and produce another real number". Write test cases to prove it is accepting reals and producing reals. Now write the function. Done. Proceed with next subroutine. Your main program will just write itself once you are finished.

The only true way to master programming is to program the books are just to help you understand the basics and understand the possibilities, like abstracting everything like they do in SICP.

You're a very devout troll. Gotta admit if I were unwary I'd really fall for this, sounds really convincing.

Python is one of the easiest languages to learn, really not complicated at all. How is there even a "learn Python the hard way" guide?

I've been in the software industry for over 12 years and I've literally never met a single professional who'd ever even heard of SICP. It's completely irrelevant and 100% a meme.

There are other much more relevant books we should be pointing beginners on Sup Forums to like GoF, OOSC, Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture, Humphrey's PSP and TSP books, etc.

THESE! You need to stop reading tutorials, books, and guides until you get to work on something, anything, that applies those skills. You know JS/HTML/CSS? Go ahead and make that damn website, even if it's just a page with an animated div. It's never going to get made if you just sit there and study how prototypes and promises work in JS or you memorize every single edge case for CSS, it gets done by you putting forth the effort and writing it out.

Is it going to be shit? Probably. If you continue programming, your probably going to come back a year or two from now and realize how much you fucked up, but that's okay for right now. Doing so puts those skills into practice, and teaches you the "why" behind something as opposed to the how that you usually get in tutorials.

It's by the Programming, Motherfucker! guy and it's an okay-ish intro if you know absolutely nothing about programming, which it's geared towards.

>which it's geared towards.
and written by

Learn python the hard way is a pill of fucking garbage.

>or maybe a website
Learn basics of Node.js, the npm module especially. Init your project and generate a package.json to store your dependencies. Install Express, a server-side middleware that abstracts on top of Node's internal networking modules ("http", "net", "request", etc.). Learn to set up your routes by following REST guidelines. Install EJS, a templating language, and render a basic HTML markup. Style it with LESS or SASS. Get your form input by referencing the tag with the name="x" attribute-value pair, replacing "x" with something more indicative, method="GET", and action="/your/route". Use request.query.x to get the data from the Express callback request object. Connect it to a database. Install MongoDB. Npm install mongoose to manipulate the database inside your IDE. Look into ES6, Git(hub), React, Bootstrap and Responsive Web Design, Flexbox, Gulp, Webpack, Linting, Testing, etc. It's not too hard.

>I like to use harder smoke and mirrors """"languages"""" to generate very simple stuff because I hate knowing that what I do is simple
please proceed to KYS asap