Thunderbolt

What was Apple's rational for adopting Thunderbolt, which is an Intel-proprietary standard with no third party vendors making the chipsets?

Not only can't Apple switch to AMD, they can't switch to their own ARM-based CPU without dropping Thunderbolt compatibility.

stick to making phones, drop entire laptop and all in one options

>dropping Thunderbolt compatibility
they already dropped the one nono-computer thunderbolt product they ever made user

anyway thunderbolt ended up being shitty and having ground loop issues

Thunderboldt = 10gb transfer rate

Because back then when they added this support to their professional machine they still cared about what the professional community was going to do with this device.

A lot of professional gear in audio and video depends on extremely high bandwidth peripherals for importing raw audio and video most devices in this realm still used Firewire 400/800 up until thunderbolt. Thunderbolt never gained the same traction with the professional community but it was a good interface for high speed.

Now with them switching to the USB-C standard port they have the ability to insert whatever controller they want on the other end of that the port can electrically do thunderbolt or USB 3.0/3.1

In the future I believe they will abandon thunderbolt completely and when they start making their own ARM based desktop/laptop chips they will have a custom rolled solution for USB-C

But Thunderbolt 3 looks pretty cool.

>USB-C will be every fucking connector
>not all USB-C devices will support each other
a storm is coming

He's talking about thunderbolt 3
That's USB 3.1, thunderbolt 3 can sustain a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection as well as USB data, somewhere around 40Gbps

No were in the midst of the spec shift already. I haven't seen a single 2017 computer that has *only* USB-C and doesn't have thunderbolt 3. USB 3.1 is still really nice to use over USB-C (I have a non-TB3 USB 3.1 type C port on my 2016 laptop) but yeah, losing out on the PCIe and DisplayPort capabilities just makes it a good USB port
Luckily I haven't seen anything other than GPU enclosures require use of TB3, I can still get faster than SATA external hard drives and 60 watt devices (USB spec claims 100w while using 12v power profile but I don't have an accessory that uses that), only issue is that I still need to use HDMI for video out and miss out on PCIe-only accessories like eGPU

Really it's phones with their fucking ISB 3.0 or even 2.0 based USB-C connectors
Having both USB-3.1-data and Thunderbolt-3-data run through USB-C ports is bad enough, but phones take the jewery to a whole new level

The storm started in 2015 and is only relevant to cheap laptops now
Thunderbolt 3 and literally nothing else is the new trend, don't even need charging ports anymore is so easy and simple welcome to the future xddddd

it's too early in the year for a 2017 PC to have that kinda stuff.

However there IS a 2016 PC with two USB type C and no other connectors.

Check out the HP Spectre sometime.

That's thunderbolt 3 you dip

Every laptop with USB-C and nothing else is using thunderbolt 3
Every laptop without a video output is likely using thunderbolt 3
Non-thunderbolt USB 3.1 Type C ports are common, but NOT without supportive ports like charging and display output

>there will be people trying to hackintosh ARM chromebooks
ROTFLMAO!

Fine. I'll desolder all the ports on my desktop mobo except the usb-c, which doesnt have thunderbolt support.

It now has only usb-c and no thunderbolt.

Really it's not about "some USB-C devices aren't compatible" it's that thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 are completely different things that both use the same connection. Thunderbolt 3 INCLUDES USB 3.1 support, DisplayPort support, and PCIe 3.0 x4 support all in one package. USB 3.1 is just USB 3.1 (which is great)
So you're either using a Thunderbolt3-only device in a non-TB3 port (which there aren't that many of, most accessories don't need PCIe lanes or DisplayPort, and just run off the USB 3.1 spec), or you're using a USB 3.1 device in any type-C port (in which case there's no problem since TB3 includes USB 3.1 support)

Yeah
That's a stupid thing to do
That was kind of my whole point

If it was a TB3 port leftover in your laptop you wouldn't lose functionality, just convenience

USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 3?
"USB-C" is just a cable

>thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 are completely different things that both use the same connection
Why is this shit even allowed on the marketplace? I'd rather TB made its own connector and fucked off and died off than deal with supporting this shit when normies try to make it work.

I mean considering the fact that 100% of USB devices are compatible with Thunderbolt 3, it makes sense to use the USB connector, avoid dongles with USB devices (still need dongles for PCIe and DisplayPort devices but those are less frequently used I guess)
Why do you want it to die? There's literally nothing wrong with USB 3.1 + DisplayPort + PCIe 3.0 x4 in one, reversible, thin (for the manufacturers ego's) package where the USB part of it (and therefore 1/3 of TB3) already exists and is becoming common?
I mean I get what you're saying, but TB3 is objectively the better connection, you can honestly say you'd rather have ANOTHER type of port just for a PCIE/DP/USB combo connection?

POST YFW NEW MAC PROS ARE RELEASED WITH AMD RYZEN, MACBOOKS ARE RYZEN MOBILE

>MacBook drops thunderbolt 3 because AMD doesn't support it
>Uses regular ports and reasonable thicknesses
>extra thickness leads to filling up the laptop with batteries
Make MacBooks great again

thunderbolt is a separate chip, they can still embed it to the motherboard. it's basically a pci-e, hdmi, dp and usb communicator.

>separate chip

that only Intel makes

EGPU and thin laptops is just too much of a meme for the laptop market to move beck to regular ports and higher wattage CPUs
Kaby Lake's mobile line and thunderbolt 3 really cemented Intel in the laptop market. A ballin-ass low wattage APU is the last chance for AMD laptops

not hdmi

if intel really wants tb3 to be standard this time, they should provide their chip support, apart from their CPUs. because I also think tb3 is a really good improvement and standard. why not make it common for everything on the market?

Because PCIE, display port and USB 3.1 all already exist
In a laptop it would be impractical (how is a normie going to "upgrade" his motherboard to TB3?) and in a desktop it would be pointless since you'd already have all the connections needed

apart from displayport support, the main thing that makes tb3 popular is the egpu thing (basically providing high bandwidth pcie lanes). if AMD releases a similar port that is completely license-free like they did with Mantle (later it helped Vulkan to be born) and release their own egpu boxes for very cheap prices then it is dope.

>if intel really wants tb3 to be standard this time

I think it's just another ploy to milk as much money out of Macfags buying the same peripheral over and over again, more expensive than standard component every time.

It's just that Apple didn't have something ready on their own, and Intel happened to have a toy that was languishing in the labs because they couldn't get the cost down.

Now that Apple is using it as a way to milk Macfags, Intel has no incentive to get the cost down or try for wider market acceptance.

See also: Apple Desktop Bus, FireWire

Why the fuck would they do that?
Because they're "the good guys"?

>Why the fuck would they do that?

Because they don't have a stranglehold on the market, and the only way to get peripheral makers to jump on their new standard is to license it royalty-free or at very low cost (e.g. G-Sync vs FreeSync).

because they need to seem like the good guys for marketing purposes. their mantle movement was a great improvement for other APIs to use CPUs more efficiently and it really worked. The only way AMD to penetrate the market is to seem like good guys.

So why would they want manufacturers to jump on the new standard? It isn't making them any royalties or forcing people to buy their GPUs, so again, why the fuck would they do that?

Apple can still use USB-C with Ryzen.

Actually everything we need is a open source high bandwidth io alternative to thunderbolt, which is not really something impossible, and hopefully AMD delivers this.

I didn't say USB-C did I?

So that people with AMD CPU laptops can also do eGPU like people with Intel CPU laptops and Thunderbolt?

But why would they do that if Raven Ridge is Polaris-tier graphics and Ryzen-tier CPU all in an ultra-low wattage package like AMD claimed?

because pci-e is not only for egpu purposes. tb3 has really low latency and ability to drive multiple monitors, drive large hubs etc.

Because they want to run Battlefield 1 at 6K?

Monitor compatibility is DisplayPort compatibility and "large hubs" is USB 3.1 compatibility
Name an external PCIe device that's worth buying other than egpu, I know I'm still looking

s-sound card, m-media equipment..?

Because thunderbolt should really be the end-all be-all of interfaces. Power, internet, display, data transfer, anything and everything on a single simple interface with absurdly high data rates.

The problem is
1) Everything is USB so it's like trying to get away from VGA, something we only finally rid ourselves totally of in the last few years
2) Thunderbolt requires really expensive-ass chips on both ends of the devices

Apple has a thing (rightly) for DMI-level interfaces, so they needed something to replace FireWire.

Thunderbolt is broken proprietary horseshit, however. We'll see if/when they either fix it or come out with something new.

>the end-all be-all of interfaces

How long before a single connector can power everything from a smartwatch to washing machine?

But USB is fully compatible with TB3

Never. Amperage limits and Waite diameters. Can't beat the laws of electricity. It's the same reason that power lines aren't made out of headphone cables

this, it's going to get weird fast here anons

>I haven't seen a single 2017 computer that has *only* USB-C and doesn't have thunderbolt 3.
You're not looking at all then. There are plenty computers that don't have thunderbolt 3, hell there are some like the Yoga 910 that have USB-C ports that only do certain things.

It already exists user.