Computer Science or Engineering?

What one is the best and why? I am a senior in HS and trying to decide on a major for next year.

and to clarify I mean computer engineering

What's the fucking difference? Pick whatever.

>What's the fucking difference?
wew, lad

computer science is much better. just look at it, it has the word _science_ in it.
read the respective wikipedia pages before making any decisions.
IMO, CS is more interesting

Either one pajeet will take your job

Cool, I am going to look into it!
Thanks

comp eng has less room for bullshitting, probably easier to get a job with though maybe not as flexible. comp sci you can kinda cheat your way through, and you don't have to be as good at math.

>it has SCYENSES IN IT!!! BY KHORNE IT IS A SCIENCE THAT MEANS YOU HAVE LEET SMARTSSS. Armed with that knowledge you will make 4k movies fit into 3 megabytes, make games run uber smooth and invent stuff that will make you a god amongst men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, it's the same shit everywhere. People just slap the titles "engineer" and "scientist" to whatever so you will sound fancy. It's like hearing "Hygiene technician" and "Financial administrator", when they mean janitor and cashier respectively.

To sum it up pick whatever you hear is a good and reputable major, and has been such for more than 5 years.

lol fuck me

IT

god-tier: CE
great-tier: EE, SE
okay-tier: CS
meh-tier: MIS
shit-tier: IT

Look at the curriculum and decide for yourself, when it comes to technology degrees universities will vary pretty drastically.

Just go with whichever is more aligned with your personal interests in tech. The job you wind up getting has more to do with your personal projects (which naturally will be related to what you actually care about) than the exact words on your diploma. Don't fall for Sup Forums memes about what's more "elite" or "prestigious".

>Great-tier: Software Engineering
top kek

God Tier: Mathematics, Theoretical Physics, Philosophy (Only god-tier if you publish and go beyond Bachelors, otherwise okay-tier)

Great Tier: CE, EE, ME, AeroE, BioE, ChemE

Okay Tier: CS, Biology, CivilE, Applied Physics, Computational anything, Linguistics, Finance, Economics

Meh Tier: SE, IT, History, Foreign Studies

Literally Shit Tier: English, Minority Studies, Hospitality, Management, etc.

Computer Science is all software shit. You learn about how the computer works at a fundamental level, as well as the different design patterns and algorithms present on the way up. You will learn C++, Java, and Python likely, with more focus on software algorithms. You rarely encounter anything to do with actual electrical signals inside the computer. You know of the hardware components inside a computer, but do not know how they are designed. There's no shame in it, as it is rarely relevant to most CS careers.

Computer Engineering is all hardware shit. You understand how the computer works using electrical signals and how the hardware of the computer is designed. You can do some software stuff with CE, but it usually focuses more on lower level programming languages like x86 Assembly, C, and C++. You will still probably learn Java and Python as a general requirement, but you will spend less time on it. CE is generally much harder than CS, since CE generally requires you to take up to Calc 3 and Differential Equations, as well as classes in Circuit Analysis and Design. At my uni, CE is basically EE, until they touch AC stuff, then CE briefly covers it and focuses more on Digital Electronics.

Bonus: Software Engineering is basically Computer Science, but minus like half the work and what little respect comes with CS degrees. SE is basically programming - the degree. You do not really cover how the computer works at as deep of a level as CS. Instead, you focus on how to program and design large-scale applications. In the real world, SEs work on a team to build a business-grade application that can be extremely large. You will learn Java, Python, and maybe C++. You might cover how compilers work, but there will be more focus on project management and software development lifecycles, things that are more business-friendly.

>I'm a senior in HS
MODS

Graduating Comp science major here.

And can confirm. I bet half my classmates couldn't pseudo code fizz buzz.

>God Tier: Theoretical Physics
>Okay Tier: Computational anything
I think you need to think over your tier list a bit more bud.

For

Depends on the school. Look at the curriculum of where you plan to go. Computer Engineering is relatively new and the program will differ from school to school.

I'm in my last semester of my CE undergrad and most of the jobs I've seen requiring a CS degree also accept a CE degree. The HR college liaisons don't know the difference anyways. And in the end you'll just end up teaching yourself like with most jobs.

Go into any engineering except computer. Never do what you do as a hobby as a job. Thats why I went ME. Still get to do a lot with computers but also still enjoy them when i get home.

Depends where you live

In Australia, there are engineering courses with major in computers but computer science courses tend to be BA of IT (Major in Computer Science).

BUT, employers here don't care. Computer science is a general course that most fields just accept in place of software engineering or systems admin. There are very little jobs for computer engineers.

Ye. I go to one of the top 5 universities in Canada for CS. Most of my classmates can just slam their head against most projects even if they only understand >50% of what they're doing. Also people can have pretty average/shit grades in some classes and still get by if they do well in early semesters

Depends on what you want from your career. CE is not going to be making you money like CS will at all. At least not actually doing CE, if you get a degree in CE the best jobs for you will be in sofware engineering, so you'll just end up doing CS anyway but you'll have to work harder outside of class to make up for the lack of algorithm study and more.

My first full time job is at Microsoft paying 105k base, 30k sign on, and 35k a year in stock for the next 3 years. As well with a 10k raise each of those years. That kind of money is insane, I'm not even the best I've heard. Friend got picked up by FB and got a 130 salary, 70 sign, and 25k a year in stock

Real good post

explain your contempt for SE user
it basically has the same power as a CS degree, and cuts all the higher level theory and math out, better preparing you for a career in software development.

can't speak for your uni, but at mine the first ~5 semesters are the same for the CS and SE majors. we too, have to take database, OS, computer architecture, compilers, networks, algorithms, and up to calc 2. the last few semesters are exactly as you described. CS students go on to take more theory oriented classes.
not sure where this meme that SE students lack in the fundamentals comes from.