Is there any way to make Visual Studio work on Linux?

Since the whole vault 7 thing me, as well as a lot of my friends and acquaintances (including my employer) thought about switching to Linux (with Libreboot).
The issue is that we didn't find any documentation on installing Visual Studio on any distro at all... trust me, we've been looking for a while now.
This is my Hail Mary. Should you tell me it's impossible, all the people in my position will be forced to continue using Microsoft's shitty OS.

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/rider/
jetbrains.com/webstorm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Doesn't wine have support for it?

Or just use vs code and gcc

Visual Studio is trash.

Use Jetbrains or Vim + ctags

>i want to switch to GNU/Linux so that i can run gigabytes of proprietary micro$oft code

what the fuck, user

pic related

VS Code is basically a text editor. Visual Studio is an IDE, dare I say, it's probably the best IDE out there.

Give me one IDE as good as Visual Studio for C# and Node JS and I know a couple of marketing guys that'll suck your dick in a dark alley way for the info.

jetbrains.com/rider/
jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Rider, VS Code with Extensions

WebStorm, VS Code with Extensions

Source: use both professionally

I work for a company that uses visual studio. I looked at doing this a while back and it was way too hacky and there were caveats all over the place. If you're using visual studio to maintain production code and you have paying customers, keep using windows. If you're just fucking around and want to retest everything just because you think Linux doesn't have backdoors, then sure, go ahead and do that I guess. But everything has backdoors, you think there aren't developers working on FOSS projects who don't also work for MI6, NSA, etc? You're deluded if you really think that.

Sup Forums knows that there are better IDE's than visual studio. we can tell you but we'll pass on the offer of oral sex by marketers.

most marketers are cia niggers with aids

I see I was mistaking. I was fixed on the whole Visual Studio bit. I'll give Rider and Webstorm a try.

I work for a company that does a lot of R&D (millions invested every year). I am told "We can't afford some wanker government bureaucrat giving away our findings". Now, I'm not an MBA, but I can see why there would be concerns regarding data privacy.

Pretty sure at least one of them is a faggot and, by extension, must have aids. So it's a good call...

If you plan on using visual stupid or any other 1st party microsoft product/framework stay the Fack away from linux

>We can't afford some wanker government bureaucrat giving away our findings

What motivation would "some wanker bureaucrat" have for "giving away your findings"? Trade secrets are something that every company has, you are not unique. If a place like Goldman Sachs or Blackrock has Windows machines running all over the place, with literally trillions of dollars of AUM, obviously "running Windows" is not the problem per se. Do your higher ups have a specific threat in mind or are they just jumping around at every headline not knowing what to do because their security as a whole is garbage? Randomly installing new operating systems isn't going to help when the CEO has passwords taped next to his monitor.

you must be all pretty stupid if you ever thought that you had any chance in installing visual studio on anything that isn't windows

Install emacs.

DESU it sounds like some early stage startup with a bunch of wet behind the ears "whiz kids" whose specialty (obviously) is not computers and who have some elderly backers who are afraid their investment is going to go up in flames when the intern clicks the russian spam virus he keeps reading about on yahoo news

It wouldn't surprise me at all if (a) they have no backups of anything, or they're misconfigured and someone disabled the "annoying" warnings, (b) all their super seekrit shit is on google spreadsheets in personal email accounts and getting shared openly on all kinds of third party platforms that have not been approved by a central IT authority, and (c) they've got passwords stuck to screens all over the company

But they're shitting themselves over MUH LOONIX because op hangs out on Sup Forums too much and told the boss that windows is now compromised

Branch office for international. Backups are mandated and implemented by central site admins. We deal mostly with R&D on web/cloud controlled robotics (lately a lot of timber treatment facilities). Can't give away more.

What would be the point?
M$ has been caught putting "telemetry" into programs compiled with VS.
Oh course, when caught, they called it an instance of oversight. Really, they didn't mean to spy, it was an accident.

>Since the whole vault 7 thing
Why since then? They did not show anything important that we did not know.

What is the point of doing all these things (installing libreboot etc) when you are going to use non-free software anyway?
Not to mention that VS is shit, just use emacs.

>C#
C# is shit but you can just use emacs.
>node
kek, kys

agreed, there's actually telemetry in all of the Microsoft Office suite and in my experience if you try to disable it (at least in Office 2016) your product key will go invalid and the program will shut down as soon as you open it.

>muh emaaacs

this is real work here son, not toys

use qtcreator for C and C++

>want to switch to Linux to escape spyware botnet
>also want my favorite spyware botnet program to run on Linux

Fuck off

Visual Studio does not run in Wine (has a "garbage" rating on WineHQ), and there is no native Linux port of Visual Studio. Unless you want to run Visual Studio inside of a virtual machine, you will have to look to an alternative. C and C++ programmers on Linux tend to use a text editor (like Vim, Emacs, Sublime, or Atom), and their terminal, rather than using an IDE. For those that do use IDEs, QtCreator and Code::Blocks are popular free ones.

Use Jetbrains' Rider for your C# needs

And yet you are going to switch to amateur OS.
Also:
>Linux
>C#

who the fuck said I was OP? I'm this

Your name is Anonymous
OP's name is Anonymous
You are OP

>caring about libreboot
>shitting up your system with tons of nonfree shit
0/10

also: GNU/Linux*

>including my employer

get out now before it's too late

>Doesn't wine have support for it?

are you stupid?

Even if you were to pay for a support-backed version of Wine like Crossover Linux, you still can't install it. Microsoft has loaded it with DRM to make sure it's running on Windows.

Visual Studio - Code runs on everything. Granted its a much smaller simpler program but its not a windows exclusive despite the visual studio branding.

Yes

visual studio code is a text editor, not the IDE, so it doesn't count
>but muh name
doesn't count, not even the same product