Hey Sup Forums, I'm back from my thrifting and I found this laptop for 60$...

Hey Sup Forums, I'm back from my thrifting and I found this laptop for 60$, luckily he couldn't power it on so I got it for 20$. It's a sharp pc 6500 from 198x.

Anyways, share your recent thriftstore findings/regular findings

Gonna dump pics

Give it back Lebrone

why do you spend money on crap

I bought it, though.

>from 198x

looking good op
>you have to go back

>find some trash in my garage
>instead of throwing it in the bin put it on craigslist
>some moron gives me money for it.

Oh thanks, I didn't know.

Thanks, man.

>"""""moron""""" restores your trash and sells it for at least double
loving my 10 dollar T60 that I got from someone like you :^)

Nice.
Refurb it, see if you can get it working again.
Stuff like this is going to be lost to time soon, especially the more obscure and less popular hardware.
When you got something old like this and it doesnt like to start, its almost always a power delivery issue. The other components on these things dont really wear down much. Crack it open and look for burst capacitors and shit. Which are an easy and cheap fix if you know what parts to get and how to use a soldering iron.

I was debating selling my 380ED i refurbed and another user told me its worth more than money to a collector or someone who can admire it.
Yeah i could sell it and get 100$ or so, but what good is 100$, i could buy a used gpu? Maybe an older i5 or something? Who cares. 380ED is cooler than that even if all i use it for is showing off and playing with some old synth music programs.

how does something that old works withput plug
how can the battery still alive
what madness is this

replacing batteries or cells in battery
it's black magic

i replaced all the battery cells
even then, they were just some old ones i had lying around, so it gets about 2 hours of battery life

>using the smiley with a carat nose

>DNTS Screen
Normalfag trash!

>not using the smiley with a carat nose

Nah, its FRSTN
Only came in that or TFT, and i determined its FRSTN based on how its worn bright on some of the edges.
the TFT ones the screen just fuckin dies after 10 years lmao, saw one that looked like someone rubbed a CRT screen with sandpaper

Oh, sweet. I lusted after those things when they first came out...
Very similar to the original TI travelmates in construction, related in some way?

That's weird. In one old laptop I have the TN screen pixels seems to have rot a bit and look "bleached", if that makes any sense

>how can the battery still alive

On LiIon is shelf-unstable. Nicads (from then) and NiMH can sit indefinitely without damage.

s/On/Only/

Still need to fix pic related, mine has the color LCD
Also this machine is probably the first laptop with a touchpad

oh my god muh dick, that thing looks so danm cool

>go to store
>buy thirty year old broken electronics
>brag about it on zambian dirt eating forums

livin the life

At least he didn't create yet another guts/phonecancer/gaymen thread

great thread

fucking pleb, leave Sup Forums forever pls

Found a Libretto 110ct back in February, it works great after replacing the clock battery (won't boot without one).

>old toshiba pentium 1 laptop
>backup batteries leaked and apparently destroyed mainbaord

>toshiba pentium 3 laptop
>hinges broke

>old siemens-nixdorf 386 laptop
>ribbon cables to keyboard and screen broke, can't boot from HDD because dallas clock chip cancer

How reliable are Pentium 1 era thinkpads?

Agreed
why are you here?
>his hobby is telling people why he can't have fun

refer to has a 166mhz pentium MMX
only cosmetic damage was some scratches and scuffs, two chips on the corners, and a small chip on the edge of the lid
otherwise, refurbing was replacing some keys, a few cables internally, replacing battery cells, the HDD and ram which were missing to begin with and one of the pcmica covers
along with a good cleaning and dusting, it now works flawlessly

Well the seller actually did claim it worked, but since it had been lying on his desk for one year without charge well...it needs some power.

I don't think so, maybe Sharp drew inspiration from it bit...I highly doubt it.
Well it was a private seller and I had a chat with him about old tech, plus I got a discount. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.

Man that is sweet, you got any pics?
Thanks for contributing, hope it goes well with the restoration.

hit up ebay for a shitload of era accessories or something just for the lols
my 380ed now has an era laptop bag, an old quickcam VC, handful of pcmcia cards, DOOM, im now looking into finding an old 3D spacemouse to use when playing with DESI-III

If only you could change its insides and turn it into an actual useful machine.

Man, it doesn't even show up when I search for it..it's so old. But thanks, I will do and I hope your 380 will either do you well in terms of bank or appreciation.

Oh, but it already is. Seeing as it has a whopping 640k ram and 44md hdd I will be set.

>spacemouse
you mean a spaceball controller?
the newer ones are called spacemouse's