/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/),
ebay.es/itm/112370130819
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4cojj9/it_is_probably_time_to_ditch_xf86videointel/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology
debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/
archive.fo/7poSX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there any way I can make my StinkPad let me use the keyboard and the trackpad at the same time? It's annoying as shit scrolling with the arrow keys and having to wait a second before I can move the mouse again.

>country has laws against importing used/refurbished products
>local retailers jew the fuck out of customers
>tfw you will never have a nice and comfy ThinkPad
What do? Is it possible that the customs can see wether it is a used notebook or not just by the box and x-rays? Heard they just x-ray the box and if they judge it as used, they confiscate it.

Where is best to get a cheap X220 to throw an SSD into?

Where the fuck do you live?

Bend over and I'll show you.

Brazil desu, we got high taxes and a shitty customhouse that almost everyone tries to avoid (they tax 60% of the price you paid on products above $35, but not always, depends on how many dicks they've sucked on that day).

You live in my ass? Last I checked there were no laws against importing refurbished products there. ;^)

fuck the trackpoint. scrolling is shit
the thinklight is sweet though

Maybe you're not used to it yet. At first I didn't like it at all, but after a good week or two of constant use, it became the preferred means of navigation.

THINKPADS R GREAT

Looking for some upgrades to my x41t. Gonna get a 32gb 1.8" pata ssd and a new stylus
Any other suggestions? Anything cool I could put in the card bus 2 slot?
New battery is a maybe, not sure I want to drop 40$ on one just yet
Slice battery is a no go, dock ports have some missing pins.

How do wireless headphones work under linux?

It depends what I'm using that determines if I use it or not.
For little thinkpads I prefer the track point.
But for anything larger the trackpad is betyer

FUCK THINKPADS

SPARE PARTS ARE WAY OVERPRICED!!!

hey Sup Forums can you help me

do i buy t460 or t460s

they're both pretty much the same prices on ebay used so which is objectively better?

Are there any good thinkpads with native HDMI 1.4 (not through an adapter)?

I want to test out a bunch of tvs in store to see if any support 120 hz (blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/), but it's not super practical to drag my gaming desktop around.

I already have 12 classicpads so you can skip the >modern thinkpad lecture. I just want something with a modern HDMI output and if it's going to be >$300 I'd rather it not be total garbage, hence thinkpad.

yoga 14

Has anyone tried putting an xx30 keyboard in an xx20 thinkpad? I know the reverse is a popular mod but have never heard of anyone doing this.

where can i buy a T420 replacement keybaord with the right FRU (45N2071)? Ebay is full of clones with shitty switches.

If your X41t is like my T43 in that one of the card slots is expresscard, you can get a USB 3.0 card. Wireless headphones should just werk if they are bluetooth, and if your laptop has bluetooth.

he said thinkpads

Should I?
ebay.es/itm/112370130819
Redpill me, Sup Forums.

What the fuck, guys. I just installed Win10 on my X220 and this is happening:

>windows
>windows 10

Windows (((updating))) in the background? Use a real OS.

nice. is this one from th 90s or the 80s?

I have another machine for programming and daily work. Keeping my thinkpad for vidya, hence Windows.

Same happened to me a few days ago, i ended installing Win7 instead and applied new thermal paste, now it idles at 45º-50º

>keeping my thinkpad for vidya
like I said:

If all I need for work is MS Office, should I get a ThinkPad? They're really bulky though and I have to walk a lot.

man up

>t420 comes in
>keyboard immediately turns out to be broken
>optical drive is broken
>lost all my flash drives over the course of multiple moves
well fuck. that is another 80 bucks this fucker will milk out of me just so i can fucking use it. this is what i get for trying to save 20 bucks on ebay.

Oh and should have mentioned the seller wants to charge me 40 dollars to return it so I'm fucked either way. "buyer pays return shipping and at our discretion buyer pays restocking fee"

That shit only goes if you're returning because of a change of mind. If what they sent you was fucking defective, they have to bare the costs of dealing with that, hence the purpose of buyer protection. If they keep giving you bullshit like charging you to return something that's broken then escalate the dispute and laugh as ebay goes in raw on them.

You're right man. I just have to man the fuck up and dispute this shit. Ebay has buyer protection for a reason and I need to make sure I am not fucked over by shitty sellers.

MASTER RACE
>socketed i7-3740qm CPU
>16GB RAM
>Intel n/ac wlan card, wwan, bt, gps
>2,5" 9,5mm 240GB SSD + 2,5" 9,5mm 2TB HDD
>100Wh 9cell battery option
>12,5" screen
>much cheaper than x230

Yeah, I'd agree with you but ThinkPads have a large enthusiast user base which means mods such as 1080p screens and custom EC firmware patches are possible on the x230.

Does it have a trackpoint or at least a trackpad that isn't somehow worse than a phone screen?
>inb4 just buy a mouse
anything that makes you take your hand off the keyboard to use is bad.

nevermind. I think I see one. Pretend I didn't just make an invalid point.

Don't worry user you'll get used to it

Breddy dank desu

>1080p screen
which requires soldering and it costs too much
>EC firmware patches
same applies to 2570p. In fact it allows you to flash custom ME image so you can overclock your CPU and RAM. Plus it has multiple cooling mods.
You can also replace the screen with better one if you got the money.
It does have a trackpoint. It does support thinkpad trackpoint clits.

also did I mention RAID-0 and RAID-1 support for SATA drives?
You can connect two 2,5" SSDs and get 1GBps speeds from two separate 6Gbps sata ports.
Try the same with any thinkpad. These don't even support RAID in BIOS.

Hi why the fuck Gnome does not recognize my T430's intel HD4000 while Xorg seems to do it well ?

I tried to remove xf86-video-intel because of this (reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4cojj9/it_is_probably_time_to_ditch_xf86videointel/ ) and everything seems to work fine except for Gnome 3 recognition.

Also I have this :
lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

and this :

grep Chipset /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 704.895] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
[ 704.900] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Does Sup Forums compute ?

Wtf I love hp now

not to mention CRIPPLED mSATA PORT, lmao
Funny thing is lelnopevovo limited native 6Gbps speed to 3Gbps for marketing reasons. And you goys keep buying their shit.
Stop embarrassing yourselves and get HP(R) Master Race (TM)

>which requires soldering and it costs too much
>You can also replace the screen with better one if you got the money.
Make up your mind mate.

>custom ME image so you can overclock your CPU and RAM
What does ME have to do with overclocking? I am guessing you're refering to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

I would rather live with software RAID than rely on the shitfest that is hardware RAID.

I do like Elitebooks, I used to have one as well. They're well built, work great and are stupid easy to service. But it's quite undeniable that ThinkPads have more people hacking on them.

Soldering is required in x230.
But if you count it as usable solution then you can do the same in 2570p.
>What does ME have to do with overclocking?
I don't know. Google it.
>not understanding what intel fakeraid is
kys
and you don't clearly understand what requirements are for non-bios supported raid is. Yes, you need a 3rd boot drive.

>have more people hacking on them.
lmao, so far you've been proven wrong.
>hacking
the catch is you don't need to """"hack"""" elitebooks to RESTORE BASIC FUNCTIONALITY.
So it doesn't count as a pros. Kek

Ivy Bridge only has support for two 6Gbps ports you tard. They made the ultrabay and main sata port 6 gbps while the elite oak doesn't even have an extra msata port

>non-bios supported raid is
Would love to know what stops you from doing a software raid on something like a x230

>only two 6Gbps ports
then explain why ivy bridge based 2570p has two internal 6Gbps ports and one external (eSATA) 6Gbps port. I'm waiting.
3rd boot drive required. No thanks.

It's time for bed Kevin.

uhm, the necessity of carrying an ultrabase docking station to get the second 2,5" bay?
or the fact that msata port is crippled and raiding it with main 2,5" drive is a bad idea?
I don't know senpai, you tell me

>3rd boot drive required. No thanks.
No you dont for RAID 1 or 0 you stupid cunt. Look up how to use mdadm

>linux
now find me an alternative for windows or silence yourself forever, cuck

eSATA port has it's own controller

Fuck off and do your own research before spewing bullshit you incompetent nincompoop

Try harder samefag. There's a reason why more people/bunsinesses use ThinkPads. It's called "A better fucking product"

so 2570p has two sata controllers and it's objectively superior to x230. Thanks for proving my point.
Putting x230 drives in RAID is a bad idea. There is only one internal 6Gbps drive and one msata 3Gbps drive. Carrying always locked ultrabay with second 2,5" drive is a very bad idea, believe me.
Even so x230 has shitty CPU.

But there is a Windows alternative desu
It's called storage spaces

Show me some data and actual arguments, senpai.
Just because companies buy thinkpads doesn't mean these are reliable or better than elitebooks.
So far you've been proven wrong.

check
there are no drives you should RAID in x230

>alternative for windows
Here you go buddy debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/

>using raid
>ever

Your enthusiasm for RAID makes me think you've never used it

Also, why the fuck do you want a RAID on a laptop you fucking moron?

>not arch
Try again senpai

to get 1GBps read/write speeds?
Your reasoning is fucking retarded. I've already pointed this out multiple times.
Somehow RAID is usable in dells, but thinkfags will enter full denial mode if someone points out thinkpads are bad in RAID support.

I mean I get this but
There's more disgusting than raid. Just get a proper SSD. 500 MB/s is more than enough for your Chinese cartoons

I do use Arch, the other fellow might want something that works out-of-the-box since he doesn't seem to have any experience with a half decent OS

Use a SSD then cuck

>500 MB/s is more than enough for your Chinese cartoons
500MB/s of what transfer? Do you even realize how retarded numbers you start pulling our of your ass now?
Not to mention 2570p can handle quad core cpus. so it can also handle a lot of iops hungry VMs

>you don't need more 500MB/s speeds
Thinkfags in full retard mode telling people what they need. KEK'This entire discussion is about RAIDing SSDs you illiterate nigger

>trying this hard
Shiggy

>this lack of argument
Buyers remorse at it's best.
Enjoy your cumstained 1990-looking thinkpad.

you can't use storage spaces as a system drive.
Try again, thinkcuck

Can a t420 play dota2? I5

no it can't you fucking thinkcuck.
l2google

No, it's going to overheat and melt steel beams.
Also HD3000 is shit for 3d. HD4000 is a requirement for dota2

So what thinkpad can handle dota 2 on lowest settings with 60 fps? The cheapest obviously .

>60fps
w530 with k2000m dgpu

Objectively 460s BUT

It has somewhat better build quality materials, generally better screen (it has 1440p option) and DDR4 and that new faster SSD port.

But not hot swappable battery and only one free RAM slot. It has 4gb soldered and one free. The 460 has two free slots.

I ended up going with the 460 and love it, but the 460s is nice too just take the ram and battery into account

I would like a machine to take around with me because my y510p is too heavy. How much did you pay for yours? How much should I expect to pay for an 8gb version? Is $175 too much? Like archive.fo/7poSX

Thank you

What's TPG's opinion on the T470, it got a 91% on notebookcheck, I got
FHD
8GB ram
7200u
256ssd
For 700, worth it?

I've paid $300 so far for it.
>base unit with i5-3320m, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm hdd, 6 cell battery with 90% capacity
>additional i7-3740qm cpu, 16gb ram, 240gb ssd + 2tb hdd, 9cell 100Wh battery, 2560p heatsink, docking station, 90w psu, bt module, wwan module, black skin
After I sell the old cpu, ram, hdd and 6cell battery I should decrease the total cost a little bit.

Yes

ah, I got the base unit for $190

Lol nope
I have 8gb ddr4 | i7 7500u | 256ssd | geforce 940Mx for 690€

>FHD IPS

Lenovo is jewing people by putting in 65% srgb panels

I'm being jewed aren't I?
Context is a 9cell that only hold like 5.7Wh of charge when it should be around 7.8

How

Yes

You didn't like the WiFi card it came with? Does it not come with WiFi when you buy it on ebay? I've never bought anything $20+ on eBay so I don't know how this works :/

I can dispute if the computer arrives broken, right?

I really just need a decent machine to run the latest Fedora with the latest gnome 3.

How much would you pay for a x230 with

i5-3320M
16GB RAM (New)
500GB SSD (New)
2TB HDD (New)
6 cell battery at 91% capacity

Decent condition, stuck in a datacenter rack for 2 years and then shelved.

Have a chance to grab it now. What's the market price for this?

intel 6205 (default card) is totally fine, I just wanted ac wifi support.
>Does it not come with WiFi when you buy it on ebay?
It does.

>What's the market price for this?
>doesn't mention the country

>it does
it does come with wifi card.

Sorry about that, it's Australia

It depends of what you're looking for in a ThinkPad and how much you're willing to pay. It seems that the ThinkPad X1 Carbon is really light but does it fit your needs?

I need a new T420 keyboard. Where can I find one?

Is it legit to disassemble the motherboard and clip it USB 3.0 ports?