/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/ - PC Building General-- absolutely haraam edition
Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions.

State the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or improve specs.
List the games or software you use most often.
Use common sense and put some effort into your queries.
GOOGLE IT FIRST

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com
>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice (which is pretty outdated/shit), Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed)
>Semi-outdated information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500.
>The Ryzen 1700 is the only R7 worth purchasing.
>i5 edges out R5 for gaming, R5 wins in apps.
>i3 are no longer worth getting with zero exceptions. The budget choice is the G4560. Otherwise get an i5/r5.
>Whoever saying locked i5s were useless were hedging on great R5 performance... oh well.
>The R5 1600 is the best all around chip for the price, it's a better choice than an R7 for gaming.
>SSDs are worth it. Expensive SSDs aren't worth it.
>RX 500 series around 10% better than 400s
>for budget builds, consider a mATX setup for case/mobo savings

There's been a huge upswing in disinformation in these threads, and in the community in general. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who loses if you take bad advice.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005571.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/jrV4vV
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>i5 edges out R5 for gaming, R5 wins in apps.
Why do you insist on being retarded? Honest question.
Even a 5GHz overclocked 7600k is a stutterfest on dozens of games from the past few years.

gee that infographic shows a fair, unbiased, and legitimate set of data points. thanks for your great contribution

>t. salty ryzen user

It's a wide range of 4 games with 2 CPUs and 2 different graphics cards.
Yeah, that's a good deal of data and pretty unbias.
One of them is even a Gameworks game. The other is Crysis. 3 are some of the most popular games.
It's representative of many more games and you never see Ryzen+AMD GPU acting like 7600+anything does.

The only way you can make the 1600 look like a stuttering mess like the 7600k is by pairing it with a Nvidia GPU.
But you say it's bias since no examples of the 1600 stuttering like the 7600k does exist unless it's with an Nvidia GPU whose driver is causing the issues. What a fucktard.

tell me wat pc games to get since ive been out of the loop for 10 years,

(last pc is a core 2 duo with nvidia9800 struggling on crysis 1 bioshock etc)

heres my new pc btw r8 or h8 i dont give a sh8 m8

ryzen5 1500x
16gb ram 3000mhz
rx 480 8gb
144hz 24" monitor

also i bought an m.2 ssd was it a mistake?

If you can overclock, get the 1600. It's $30 more for something way better overclocked.

And only get the RX480 8GB if it's on sale for cheap. Like under $200. Namely an XFX GTR RX480 since it uses a Fury PCB.

>also i bought an m.2 ssd was it a mistake?
No, that's fine, if you just got a decent brand and not like a Patriot or an Intel p600.

Should I get an i5-7500 or an R5 1600 for my first build?

The dumb shit i do doesnt need more than 4 cores m8, already pulled the trigger but ill look at benchs to see how i fucked myself

got it for 189 after rebate, its a GIGABYTE windforce though...not sure if thats a bad thing

theres only a few brands out, got crucial 575gb version. i was going to go regular ssd but the prices are the same, and the new mobo accepted it, so fuck it

Are there any benches around showing if CL16 vs CL14 make any difference on Ryzen?

amd fanboy here. if you want to nickel and dime every ounce of performance out of games then the i5. but if you just want a good cpu where you can multitask without losing much performance, game at nearly the same FPS (hardly noticeable variance), then the 1600 is right for you.

I'm genuinely curious if the 7700k AMD equivalent is a better buy, but I'm too new to Sup Forums and can't tell the memes and actual advice apart and every infographic on framerates either gets cries of bias or shilling from other anons.

this guy again
they're basically the same, get what you want. those 16 threads are too good to pass up in my opinion. those few frames that the 1700 is behind on is made up with better multitasking.

yes if you want to squeeze every frame out of games then the i7 is better, but if you just want a really good CPU the 1600 or 1700 is honestly the best.

The 1600 is clearly better. Even the 1500X is better than a 7500.
4c/4t are stuttering messes in so many games now days, even overclocked to 5GHz, let alone at locked i5 clocks. You need a minimum 4c/8t if you don't want threads getting locked so much.

Depends on what you do.
The 7700k can be better as long as you don't mind delidding it and are on a 144hz or 240hz monitor.
But the AMD equivalents (1600X, or 1700 overclocked) are more consistent, have less frame drops, and are generally better at lower framerates like 4K 60fps since they will better maintain that 60fps instead of dropping frames as much.
And if you do any non-gaming, the AMD 6 or 8 core is clearly better.

>this guy again
l i t e r a l l y the first time I've asked
assuming you're too tech-retarded to delid, does Ryzen beat it out due to the temps preventing higher OCs?

sorry I meant it's me again.

are me

>this guy again
What he meant was
"I made this post
"

shit i'm retarded
thanks user for putting up with it

Fuck off, Shlomo.

Anyone know what kind of fan controller can handle a 5400rpm Delta fan.

I had one hooked up to one of these and it would work for about a minute before the fan would die off and kick on over and over every 10 seconds.

After about it week it just stopped working altogether.

I swear to god, my monitor is melting from one edge or something, everything feels tilted despite there being no actual indication of any tilt.

You can still get the stock 4.4-4.5GHz without a delid, generally.
Idling a 45-55C just feels extremely uncomfortable for a lot of us.
That stock 4.4-4.5 is still higher than the 3.8-4.1 of the 1600X.
But the 1600X has 50% more cores for your other shit on your OS to run on while your game's primary threads can use the other 4.

For pure gaming like if the PC is used on a console, the 7700k is better at least for current games. For everything else, or a mix of gaming and other stuff, the Ryzen 5 or 7 are better.
Ryzen 5 is also cheaper. 1600/1600X is cheaper than a 7700k. Cooler is cheaper since all you need is like a $35 Cryorig H7 instead of a $90 Noctua D15 or AIO, motherboards are cheaper, etc. It's the better buy for most people.

Hell, most people would just buy 7600ks. A 1600 build is still better than that and also cheaper, as a good demonstration of how good the 1600 and 1600X are.

>bought a 290x to replace my 6950 a few years ago for all the big games I was playing then
>the 6950 is above the recommended specs for most of the games I'm playing now

Anyway, got any case fan recommendations?
Case included a 120mm fan each front and back, it can fit up to two 140mm on front.

if you don't care about color then nocua is always a good choice.

noctua*

Does XFX still do lifetime warranty

Thanks for the in-depth. It'd honestly just be used for gaming 99% of the time, browsing light otherwise and other normie-tier things people do on a computer. To be completely honest I'm unsure what other things most people are referring to when they discuss multitasking, as all I imagine is what I mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure my insecurity over it is just dealing with a new platform, as I've never had an AMD CPU, though I've used plenty of their GPUs. I generally have to re-learn a lot of things, as I just build/overhaul a computer every 4-5 years or so and this would be my fourth with only building on Intel.

>that level of intel shilling in the op
Wonder who is behind this post

doing multiple shit at once.

watching videos and gaming. rendering video and playing games and watching videos.

well for me personally I like to play games with videos/twitch in the background.

There are a few - the difference is basically zero compared to straight up more mhz.

So you guys mean, on most boards, overclocking Ryzen will make the CPU be at full frequency and voltage all the freaking time?
It won't down-clock and down-volt when I leave it at idle?

What the fuck is this? This is nothing like on Intel where the OC still down-clocks and down-volts at idle. I thought this was granted nowadays.

You'd probably be happy with the money saved on a 1600X and not notice that you only get 250fps instead of 280fps in CS:GO.
They're much cooler and more efficient chips, so probably go with the 1600X anyway.

>I'm pretty sure my insecurity over it is just dealing with a new platform, as I've never had an AMD CPU
You're missing out. AMD completely dominated from 2000-2008.
For a new architecture and platform loss, this has been really painless. Only problem has been some RAM speed shit.

>well for me personally I like to play games with videos/twitch in the background.
A better example for normies is that with a 1600X, you can enable Steam downloading/updating games in the background without affecting performance.
But yeah, for anyone multimonitor, the 6 core generally makes more sense.

Hello. Havent upgraded since 2010. Should I buy the latest and greatest in the ((((((((current year))))))))) or should I keep waiting?

I've googled and can't find anything comparing CL at the same Mhz.

you're new

GPU wise? Probably not. Vega/Volta/Navi will be bigger deals.

CPU wise? Maybe. Zen2 or Zen3 will probably be a big step up from this first release, but they use the same motherboard and Ryzen is still great compared to 2010 shit.

>tfw your components a ship separately and get delivered one at a time over the course of an entire week.
>case always comes first, CPU always comes last

ryzen is shit desu it's just a meme

Trying to get an ISO for Windows 10 Pro but I'm only on normal 8.1 so it will only give me Windows 10 Home.

Looks like I'm going to have to pirate a copy of 7 Ultimate and go through it that way.

Are 8GB VRAM necessary for 1080@60hz or will 4 be fine?

>ordered my parts over the course of the month
>ordered case 3rd out of 8 items
>everything else has arrived except for the case
i-it's still gonna come, right?

There was a recent video I watched that was comparing Ryzen mhz scaling to Skylake mhz scaling - they did a brief bit at the end comparing the CL ratings on Ryzen which showed no difference in performance unless you dropped all the way to CL20.

Assuming I have more money than brain cells, is the 1700 worth the extra $60-70? Everyone seems to be stating to pick up the non-X version and OC it to roughly where the 1700x is.

I'm in a place where sometime in the next 6 months I'd like to build a "dream" PC, as long as it's not literally throwing money into a dumpster fire, so I'm not opposed to paying extra if it's worthwhile.

Thanks for all the answers to my stupid questions.

8GB is the minimum for gaming these days.

i thought you said RAM not VRAM. Ignore my post.

Unless you're doing heavy productive use, na. The 6 core is good enough for light mixed workloads and is way way better value.
It's 6 cores 12 threads for $220 vs 8 cores 16 threads for $330. Simple math.

If it turns you that you want an 8core later, just upgrade to the improved 2700 or 3700 in a year or two. Simple.

4GB of VRAM is fine for 1080p. Worst case is that you have to drop down 4K textures setting to a normal texture resolution.

The difference between the 6-core Ryzen and 8-core Ryzen in gaming (at least at this point) is minimal despite a significant jump in price, hence why the 1600+OC is such a good price/perf and highly recommended, while the R7s are rarely recommended.

If you have more money than brains, you'd arguably be best off with either the 1600x or 7700k since you wouldn't even need the brains to OC either of them to get very good performance.

Personally I think overclocking is a meme for the most part anyway - the difference moving up to OC is rarely enough that you would even subjectively notice it without having FPS displayed on screen.

4 is absolutely fine.

Why is jet.com so terrible. I want to use their stupid coupon but all their shit is way overpriced.

Jet's great if and only if you buy something they have on a massive sale with one of their coupons AND you live in a state that they don't charge tax on
Everything else is shit

the only people who can argue with you are people with really high OC's but we can't really hear them anyway because of how loud their PC's are lol

Thanks anons, I appreciate your time. I'll take a look at 1600/1600x and try to find a build around there. It would be nice to not have to buy into a dead socket.

Do you leave firefox/chrome open while playing games? Yes? Congratulations you are now multitasking.
>commiefornia
I'm fucked no matter what I do. On the bright side I make a ton of money so it evens out in the end.
The 1600 comes with a cooler, the x version doesn't and if you have to buy one it might be seriously worth looking into the 1700 which comes with one. Worst case you can overclock them all the same and the 'boost' functionality AMD provides is minimal.

Fuck, because I didn't want to waste money com a 3200Mhz CL14 kit VS a CL 16 one if perf is the same. Problem is all Samsung B-Die at 3200Mhz is CL14...

How do I install Windows 10 Pro? Getting a key is one thing but I can't even get the ISO.

>purposely waiting to buy a cuck tier poorfag card

literally fuck off with this shit, the 1080ti is the most powerful card literally ever made, and it would be a mistake not to buy it. Thanks to BASED Nvidia, you can get an unmatched power from a single card that outperforms any shit tier AMDrone cuck card, especially the fucking firehouse 580, and there's literally no excuse for not buying a superior Nvidia card. Also any jelly AMDrone cuck that tries to rebute this needs to fuck off, one: there's no argument for superiority, two: AYYMD opinion dis""Carded""... Also don't expect anything near as good from AMDrone, the 590x? more like the 590nothankyou

>inb4 muh powerdraw
>inb4 muh temps
>inb4 muh powerdraw

fuck off, there is nothing from with a 450 watt TPD, and 100C is a temp the card was tested to run at, so it literally doesn't fucking matter.

SHUT THE F U C K UP
THE AMD VEGA WILL BE THE B E S T CARD

What's the best B350 board right now? I'm gonna pick up a 1600 sometime next month

Been doing a lot of looking around. I can't speak with authority but tomahawk looks pretty good as long as you are not doing crossfire on linux. All of the b350 will suffer on GPU passthrough if you want to do that in the future.

What the smallest machine I could build that can handle two monitors?

I'm interesting in building my own small form factor PC, but I don't think I could go back to having just one monitor. Note this will not be a gaming rig.

After getting used with shitty integrated gpus, I think the 1050 Ti will be fine for me for years to come.

Download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsofts website and look up windows 10 pro keys on google, there should be a website with a bunch of pro keys, it wont matter if they're used, just use one as your key. Windows will restart and install the Pro components but Windows still wont be activated.

I know this sounds like BS but it fucking works.

Node 202 could definitely do it with the right components - I'm nore sure if any Intel NUC support multi monitor.

RGB is on everything now, yet it costs +$40 to stick a few 2 cent lights on it.

Why would you not get an RX470 when they cost around the same?

Integrated graphics can generally handle 3 monitors. At lest AMD APUs can. And an RX550 handles 6.

You're damn right that sounds like BS. So I just get the Windows 10 (base) ISO and then enter a Pro key?

So I eventually will need a legitimate key but it at least gives me a free bump up to Pro? Do you have a video or some sort of source/proof of this?

I'm also at Uni right now so I have access to Windows 10 Education which is apparently even better than Pro somehow. It doesn't come with Cortana but that seems like a positive to me.

Will my 60gb ssd hold windows 10?

>So I just get the Windows 10 (base) ISO and then enter a Pro key?

Yes, that is all you have to do. Microsoft does NOT care if you pirate windows, they just care that you are using their botnet.

>Do you have a video or some sort of source/proof of this?

I don't, just my word. But it can't hurt to try.

I am running a 1440p and a 1600x900 on a Radeon HD 7640G. Thats from 2013 if anyone is counting. A modern iGPU can handle anything as long as you are not doing any gaming.

Yes.

Want to upgrade from an r9 280x.

Not sure whether to wait for pascal price drop, get a 980 ti cheap, get a rx 580, or wait for volta.

Yes, but not well. You will run into a lot of issues with paging and temp files at that size.

Wait for Vega if you want a big upgrade. 280x to 580 isn't that big of a jump, unless you are doing 1440p gaming or something.

I am trying to find the most economical way of upgrading my rig

>Core i5 3570k
>EVGA 660ti SC
>P-8Z77-V Pro
>2x8 gskill DDR3

how would i go about it?

>one thing
go here microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/
using mac or linux or android or an old version of windows to get the direct links

>Node 202 could definitely do it with the right components - I'm nore sure if any Intel NUC support multi monitor.

According to this page, it can, just with different ports or daisy-chaining.

intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005571.html

What's your budget user? Hard to upgrade over that sort of jump.

lets say under 1000

>Why would you not get an RX470 when they cost around the same?

In my country? Nvidia stuff are much much cheaper.

>i7-3770K
>1070

Honestly I think I'm going to go with Education at this point. Looks like Pro without the Cortana bullshit but with some added bullshit I'll never use.

That probably would be the better choice anyway. Since you won't have a prompt to activate windows 10 at the bottom of your screen at all times.

Ryzen 1600 - 219
B350 tomahawk - 109
Ram - 110 and feel like killing yourself for upgrading in a NAND shortage
Rx 470 - 150 but you can wait on this to save money and use your 660 as a placeholder

Total cost 588

Yeah, thank you for the advice earlier, though.

>Total cost 588

that's pretty good, could i overclock my 660 too?

Your welcome.

Yup, b350 chipset supports OC

also is it necessary to upgrade my mobo? i thought it would be smarter to invest more money into a better gpu/cpu

Who makes the best 120mm fans these days?

Depends. Ivy bridge is old and parts for them are a bit expensive for not as much gain. There isn't any room for you to upgrade in the i5 range so you have to move to an i7 on an old chipset so expect to spend about 340 there. Your RAM is still fine for anything I think, so I would advise against upgrading that if unless you switch to a new MB to take advantage of better CPUs.

After a bit more thought if you want to delay purchases as long as you can get the GPU first and than order the rest as time goes on.

p sure you need to to fit the ryzen 1600

Hello????? Wake up!!!!

>i5 edges out R5 for gaming
So that's why everyone recommends R5 even for gaymen, makes sense, yeah

pcpartpicker.com/list/jrV4vV
Hello, from PH, thinking of building a pc for gaming and watching HD animu. I'm limited to playing dota 2 and using KCP at mid settings with my 5-6 year old laptop, an acer 4750(i7-2670qm, gt540m). I'm kinda set on the g4560 and rx 480 already (chose amd over nvidia for the freesync). I'm trying to cut down on the price or if you have a better build/ part for the same budget I' m all ears. My current build cost 63k php or about $1260. Mind you this is my first time trying to build one and I already feel retarded with this price and what i'm getting.

Can't you just get an RX470 4GB for significantly cheaper?
That's a ridiculous cost for a shit PC. I wonder if you're trolling, really, with the 2 250GB SSDs when you can get a 500GB for $30 more instead of double.

Not trolling. My decision for getting the 480 over the 470 was an almost 1kphp or 20 dollar difference. I guess I could cut back at that. OOPS,Good eye! Removed the other ssd. But the price was from the build with just 1 ssd so its still in that price range.

Go a mATX build. That case is so expensive. In US you can find decent mATX cases for $20-$30.

I bought a X370 gaming pro carbon, 1600x 16 gb ddr4 3000 mhz. How hard did I fuck up ?

Really overpriced board when the VRMs on the tomahawk are exactly the same, IIRC.