/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horological tech and shitter watches.

FUCK THE OTHER RETARDED OP EDITION

PREVIOUS THREAD: →

Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

watch-insider.com/reportages/hands-a-lange-sohne-grand-complication-complicated-exclusive-timepiece-built-saxon-master-watchmakers/
youtube.com/watch?v=boeGlwkrC9k
aliexpress.com/item/2017-Hot-Style-Nomos-Watch-Women-Quartz-Leather-Wrist-Watch-Fashion-Vintage-Watch-Clock-Man-Cheap/32802086930.html?trace=msiteDetail2pcDetail
m.ebay.com/itm/142348634852?_mwBanner=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

thoughts on my summer combo?

waiting for the tool to come in the mail for easy switching

I might go for perlon myself.

regardless, it looks great

perlon would look sick as well.

Thanks user. what are you wearing?

weird choice of strap.

what lange is that? i don't recognize the movement

ALS grand complication.

Would you a grape dial Oysterer Perpetulel?
Why? Why not?
Now that the old air kings are gone, and the new one is some horrible monstrosity catered solely for the mainland chinese market, what's /wt/'s opinion on Rolex's entry level model?

>weird choice of strap.
what would you put on it? besides the bracelet of course which remains my favorite (I wanted to make it sporty for summer)

WHERE IS NINEBALL?

watch-insider.com/reportages/hands-a-lange-sohne-grand-complication-complicated-exclusive-timepiece-built-saxon-master-watchmakers/

see I absolutely love my watch. I personally don't care much for the grape dial though (the resale is also awful on that color).

I wish I had a grape dial anything they're pretty sweet.

Thats the gayest color, your workmates will think you are a faggot. Tudor red is acceptable. Id say "burgyndy" as a color If i were a butty boy.

yes. the op is my favourite rolex at the moment, since i prefer time-only watches and don't like fluted bezels or cyclops. the unusual colours are great.

shit man i don't know, i don't have a rolex
i have a rubber strap but it's on a diver, for some reason rubber on something that's not a diver feels off to me. but i'm sure it's comfy.

thanks, i must have heard about it at some point but didn't remember that existed. I'm not actually that keen on the watch, and i'm a fan of Lange (my dream watch being ).

>(the resale is also awful on that color)
You see, it's this that makes me muse that in a few years (or like, 20) whatever watchfags that are still around might just be thirsty for this seemingly very unpopular dial. If Rolex discontinues it any time soon, I wonder if it'll ever reach cult status, "just because it was unpopular"?

>doesn't want a watch with a sawblade in it
it's like you like being poor

Are there any mechanicals that are filled with oil?

Yes

they should have made it a pocket watch. it's too big to be a wristwatch.
and the dial feels off. especially compared to the dato perpetual tourbillon which manages to remain legible and somewhat elegant.

Ressence makes some (type 3 and type 5 i think). the dial side is separated from the movement side, since a mechanical movement can't work in oil, and the indications are driven by magnets. really neat stuff.

>meanwhile, at the /fa/ watch thread, the HOMOS shill is at work

kek homos thats a new one

what do you guys think about this watch. is it any good?

new to /wt/, why are Nomos so hated, apart from the fact that they are ugly and overpriced? Is the constant Homos shilling a real thing?
asking for a friend

I owned the Tissot Automatic III before I sold it. really great watch for the price.

Super cool Canada user. I really like rubber straps, and the blue compliments the watch and gives it a very clean, modern aesthetic.

>new to /wt/, why are Nomos so hated, apart from the fact that they are ugly and overpriced? Is the constant Homos shilling a real thing?

Sodomy is a sin. Only fags wear HOMOS watches. /wt/ is a Christian general. Therefore, /wt/ hates HOMOS.

youtube.com/watch?v=boeGlwkrC9k

thanks user, I definitely like the sportiness it ads to the set up

Here is some OC

>Is the constant Homos shilling a real thing?
asking for a friend
You tell me

The OC I promised to post but didn't

shit, is this going on for a long time? how do you know it isn't just a buthurt autist who is angry that you don't like his watch?

we are pretty certain that's what it is.

Fuck sorry, the HOMOS marketing department forgot to remove ghosting around the watch which shows up on a dark background. Here's the fixed version.

Thank you user. I will use this whenever I debate these nu-male fags.

Because he makes absurd arguments and derails the thread, all while posting the same copypasta about in-house, improved technology, etc. Luckily he hasn't been focusing on here lately. His main tactics are strawman, ad hominem, and burden of proof. The reason he targets this site is because it's anonymous and the watch threads are very active.

don't lie anons, do you judge people based on the watch they wear?

pic related would be worn by Bernie

i feel bad for anyone who buys fashion watches

>pic related would be worn by Bernie
That's a man's watch though.

>pic related would be worn by Bernie
Nope. Too masculine for him

fair point anons.

What would zhe wear?

He would either like a Jewish Bauhaus design like a NOMOS, Daniel Wellington, etc. or some jap shitter to appear falsely poor to his dumb white voter base.

>or some jap shitter to appear falsely poor to his dumb white voter base.
this is the real answer. He wears some cheap piece of eco drive shit while chilling in his beach house

I'd probably go for a perlon, but it goes fine.

Here are the simple facts: Nomos are literally the first new company to develop the capacity to design and manufacture mechanical movements including escapements on a series production basis since the 1960s. They join Raketa, Vostok, Orient, Citizen, Seiko, ETA and Rolex as the only non haute horlogerie companies capable of this.

Developing this capability took a several year and ~12 million Euro investment in escapements and a further ~2 million Euro investment in designing the ultra-thin DUW 3001 calibre. These are enormous investments from a company with an annual sales volume of 10,000 - 20,000 units, and as a result must necessarily be reflected in increased unit prices.

In an affordable luxury watch market heavily dominated by Chinese-cased ETA-powered marketing-driven shitters, any watchmaker that makes the investments required to become a manufacture and actually increase the technical diversity of series produced mechanical movements should be applauded no matter whether you like the aesthetics of their product line. To the extent that Nomos succeeds by following this path, it may serve to encourage more investment in the technical aspects of watchmaking by other companies rather than just investing in more value engineering (i.e. cost-cutting) and more advertising.

Just in the last 10 years we have gone from a $1,000-$4,000 market where every single watch was powered by an ETA movement to one where you can now choose between ETA, Tudor, Nomos, and Seiko (8rXXs, 8LXXs). How can this development be regarded as bad for people interested in horology, regardless of whether you would personally buy any of those watches yourself? If only Miyota and Seiko would add micro-adjuster models to their ebauche offerings and Tudor would begin to use their in-house movement in more models, we could return to an era of real competition in movements in production watches not seen since the glory days of the 1970s.

thanks user, may pick up an inexpensive perlon for it sometime

As you were already told, it's a very decent t value for money even though most Tissot's are overpriced SHITTERS.

HEEES BAACK

If you don't care about or have any interest in the mechanical movements that power these watches then you can and should fuck off to .

Yeah, that's the copypasta I was talking about. What a nasty shill.

my watch has a 3132 not some shitter HOMOS movement, and you're all over the /fa/ threads too

>quartz
nah

Yes, I'm shilling for a watch brand I hate the aesthetics of and would never personally buy.

I have literally never posted in /fa/. I am simply in favor of increased technical diversity in production mechanical movements. To the extent that Nomos succeeds pursuing a manufacturing centered strategy, it's good for encouraging more investment into real horology rather than the Swatch Group approach of shoving mass produced 30 year old movement designs into Chinese cases.

your write ups are pretty similar to this shill

I own a Nomos. It's one of my favorite watches of all the watches I've ever owned.

I love the dimensions, power reserve and color scheme.

I only defend Nomos from an horological perspective because that's what I care about. That dude on /fa/ does not seem to be interested in or capable of making technical arguments, he didn't even challenge the incorrect argument that modern Nomos movements are based on ETA designs (they are not).

Look, as far as personal taste goes I vastly prefer Rolex and Grand Seiko, but anyone who is genuinely interested in movements should applaud the first company to make the investments required to become a production manufacture in fourty fucking years.

Would you prefer instead that we go back to every watch between $750 and $4,000 being powered by an ETA 2824-2, 2892-A2 or Valjoux 7750?

the dial, case, and crown are part of the technology of a watch. they are the user interface. the technology of HOMOS is a good movement that cannot be successfully separated from a nasty tumor of technological failure.

I never suggested you of anyone else should buy one if you don't like the aesthetics. I just get annoyed at people calling them shitters or dogshit when they are absolutely not.

You know it's entirely possible to hate a brand aesthetically without talking shit about their technical merits, yes?

you still don't seem to get it. the nasty dial IS A TECHNICAL PROBLEM.

If a $10 fake looks almost as good as the real thing, you've a problem.

Sure, they have their own movements, which is great. But they are by definition dogshit if they can be superficially cloned by the Chinese. No watch worth its merit should be faked that easily.

aliexpress.com/item/2017-Hot-Style-Nomos-Watch-Women-Quartz-Leather-Wrist-Watch-Fashion-Vintage-Watch-Clock-Man-Cheap/32802086930.html?trace=msiteDetail2pcDetail

>not owning the greatest chess watch
Why is your wristwatch game so weak, Sup Forums?

So, does that mean that the new Rolex Air King now haz shitty build quality and a trash movement because I find the dial revolting? And that Rolex is now a shitter brand because they make a watch with that dial??

I don't think that makes a lot of sense.

have you actually handled a nomos, and one of those fakes?

WE WUZ FLIEGER N SHEET

rolex makes things that aren't dogshit. homos does not.

homos does not sell its movements. the movements are not severable from the "completed" watches. you do not get to discard the dogshit and just defend the movement inside it. until homos puts its movements up for sale, you are on the hook for the whole package, and the whole package is a massive dogshit failure.

Oh, so you are saying the new Air King is dogshit then?

notice that the shill is now unable to stay on topic, deflecting as hard as he can onto rolex. this is because he has no defense for the dogshit into which nomos installs its movements.

You are totally unfamiliar with the concept of analogy then? Look, a watch being UGLY is not a comment on its build quality. One is a matter of aesthetics, the other is a matter of objective technical merit.

I'm using the new Air King as an analogy because it's ugly as sin but well made, making it a good example of differentiating aesthetics from manufacturing quality.

the problem with homos is not one of simple ugliness. it's that the ugliness is so bad that it impedes the function of the watch. get over it.

>I'm physically incapable of reading the time on this watch because I don't like how it looks
Really? Are you going to turn to stone if you check the time? I didn't realize the dials had Medusa like powers.

HOMOS should sponsor plebbit, they were basically made for each other

the fact that they can only use the thinnest (least legible) hands also suggests that there are significant torque defects in the movement design that they have been unable to overcome.

this user nigga is tearing HOMOS a new asshole kek

Except his point is complete speculation and most probably false.

lol, you defend their movement without having any idea what its torque characteristics are. the available evidence is in the handsets they've chosen, and they've telegraphed that they are having some torque problems.

Actually objectively false, give me a couple minutes to whip up a comparison image to prove it.

But you don't even consider that the choices which you are claiming is part in a low torque movement is just because they want it to look like that

this is the reality of HOMOS: a fatally flawed movement technology that can only turn the lightest hands of pure eider down, covered up under a hasty veneer of "bauhaus" illegibility hoping that no one will notice.

>hasty veneer of "bauhaus" illegibility hoping that no one will notice.
works for plebbit r/watches they love HOMOS

So here is a comparison of the hand on the DUW 3001 powered Nomos Club Neomatik, a 3135 powered Rolex Datejust 16200, an ETA 2892-A2 powered Longines, and a 4s15 powered Seiko.

Looks like you are completely full of shit and literally just made that up on the spot without even thinking to check if Nomos made any models with broader hands.

What the fuck people, tell me one reason to dislike Nomos.

These do not count as reasons:
>r-r-reddit might like it so I must hate it
Reddit likes Vostoks, Seikos, Orients and even non-shitter watches too. What's your problem /wt/?

>b-but I hate the bauhaus design
Your opinion. Does not make the watch bad. Some people like it

>haha HOMOS am I rite??

>tfw obsessed with dress watches but I mostly wear casual clothes

>this is the reality of HOMOS: a fatally flawed movement technology that can only turn the lightest hands of pure eider down, covered up under a hasty veneer of "bauhaus" illegibility hoping that no one will notice.
What did he mean by this?

What could he have conceivably intended to convey with such representations?

what's wrong with that? at least they're easy to service

B T F O
T
F
O

I swear I've seen the whole pic before but can't remember who the actual guy is. Who is this?

Firstly because there is no reason to spend more than ~$500 for a watch powered by an ETA 2824-2 (actually I'd probably go for something Miyota 9015 powered) or ~$1,000 for a watch powered by an ETA 2892-A2, or to EVER buy anything powered by the Valjoux 7750 (The Seiko 8Rxx is miles better).

And secondly because more options and more technical diversity is inherently a good thing to people interested in horology. If you have no interest in the micromechanical machines that power your watches and just want something that you like the looks of, then you can head over the watch discussions on or anywhere else on the internet for that matter.

there's no reason to dislike nomos. most people here like the brand.
it's literally one guy spamming that "homos" shit every time. most people just ignore him, except for that autist that thinks making a balance wheel is a great accomplishment. the two of them have been spamming the threads for a few weeks now.

dunno but I can't find a strap like that, ideas? I can only find 1 red stripe in the middle

>except for that autist that thinks making a balance wheel is a great accomplishment
It is when no production watchmaker had made the necessary investments to develop that capacity in 40 years.

Today I've finally filled and fired up the cleaning machine. Already ran two quartz service jobs and a personal Seiko 6106, all came out nice and clean. I'm starting to feel like the big boys now.

I've still got quite a few of my own movements to run through it though:
>Seiko 7019
>Citizen Cosmotron 7803
>my grandfathers Vostok 2409
>Raketa 2628
Also I'll maybe give my Ronda 1377 quartz a proper cleaning, and the two old shit Ruhla digital jump hour watches I have in my shit bin.

Can you service Orients?

And this makes Nomos better than the rest how?

Just spray-em with WD40 and dab some bearing grease here and there and they're good as new.

it shows they give a shit and are not just resting on their laurels.

Well congratulations to them, but this makes a watch made by Nomos better that the rest how?

It makes Nomos better than the multitude of low effort "watchmakers" in the $750 - $3,500 price bracket who shove 30 year old ETA movement designs into Chinese made cases and spend the rest on marketing to pleb-catch normalfags.

If Nomos is successful following this strategy it may encourage others to make those investments and increase the technical diversity of production mechanical watches, which I like, because I'm a movement autist.

Looks dated. Pic related is superior.

Also having roman numerals together with normal numbers for the date doesn't work for me.

pajeet please go

ATTN RICHFAGS

m.ebay.com/itm/142348634852?_mwBanner=1