Career/Jobs

et's talk careers/jobs

-I have a bachelors in business information systems

-3 certifications A+, Net+ and Security+

-1 and a half years of experience, 1 year from an internship and 6 months as a tier 2 helpdesk temp

Can I get a network/security job for minimum of 70k?

Other urls found in this thread:

certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf
redbust.com/helga-lovekaty-nude-bedroom/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

probably not, but what do i know, im just a pessimist.

has anyone had success pirating study materials to pass the comptia/cisco certs?

probably not
you need more work experience maybe some sysadmin experience

can you exploit a heap overflow?

damn alright, what network job can I shoot for? I already make 40k now but I hate doing helpdesk

I used professor messer

i got a security job straight out of college making more than 70

you better have a solid lab by now. and no, kvm wont cut it, you should be running hyper-v or esxi hosts

Personally probably not

>you better have a solid lab by now. and no, kvm wont cut it, you should be running hyper-v or esxi hosts
Why? would that count as experience or something?

you need to get out of helpdesk and do something more technical anyone can be trained to tell people to turn their computer off and back on

I'm a network systems operator in the Army. Also finishing up my second year of college for a b.s. in IT w/emphasis in cybersecurity. By the time I get out I'll have 8 years of experience and that degree.

Chances I'll get a decent job making 70k?

I just got into helpdesk because I needed the money and job experience, since I'm tier 2 that probably looks great on a resume but I want to get into networking and since I'm certified it shouldnt be too hard yeah?

Yes at a large firm like a bank or insurance you probably most certainly can get close to 70k

probably not unless you work for a bank or hospital

I'm an oldfag many years ago I left tier 3 help desk to be a jr sysadmin making less money and shitty shifts for the experience - it paid off in the end.

not necessarily, but if you arent constantly learning and labbing on your own it will show

What ethnicity is this sloot?

Fuck, I really dont want to make less

I wanted to use my certs as leverage for the lack of experience

I know experience trumps all, just still

Interesting. I create an manage networks now including servers running esxi for our VMs so I'm pretty decent at that stuff. I could always learn more but hopefully that'll help me out. Getting out and landing a decent job is all I'm looking forward to. I fucking hate the Army

get RHCE or whatever it is now test is a lab and you need to know you stuff for the most part that will make you pretty hireable

>1 and half year exp
>70k
Probably not

Entry level networking should pay around 50k in most average cost of living areas. You'll move up quickly.

I have 10 years of exp and I just finally broke six figures but I have been working in the public sector.

how do I even put that on a resume?

50k is alright, I like in the DC area

What is a job title I should shoot for?

if you dont, you are completely fucking incompetent or you didnt look anywhere but some 300 person town.

i would start brushing up on aws/azure, because sadly that is quickly becoming a requirement and it is something i have been meaning to start.

I have my comptia a+ and no exp. Going to try working at a best buy or something and move out and hopefully rise to be something successful. Im 25 and retarded though. What shoild i get after 901 comptia?

>What shoild i get after 901 comptia?

there are two exams for the a+ bud

>wanting to slave away on a 9-5 job for the rest of your life

Meh I'd rather use that expertise and become a tech YouTuber instead and beat Shillnus in his game of being one of the biggest self made Tech YouTuber. What's stopping you? You got all the right credentials and know-how to start.

DevOps, Site Reliability Engineer/Operations, Security Engineer or something maybe

Oh DC area is 'spensive. I'd expect another 30k there alone.

50k is like midwest, Southeast Southwest etc.

I dont want to do that personally and I dont see youtube as sustainable

Lmao you know what i meant...ive been up for 25 hours and need to work soon .__.

that is dumbest post in this thread.

go back to /r/youtubers kid

depends on what you want to do

if you want to do networking, get net+ CCNA ect..

security you net security+ and other certs

It isn't sustainable, you do know 90% of his revenue are from sponsors and his own merchandise. The main point of YT is to market yourself.

Just because you're a disappointment to your parents, OP doesn't need to.

I just want to live comfortably in a trailer ._.

no. you have to suck dicks form people that can and are willing to give you the "minimum 70k"

god fucking dammit i'm mad. fucking entitled little shits.

get the fuck out. employment is not technology

>no experience
>thinking he can get a job with just an A+ certification

At this point IT jobs are super stagnant because after that rush for IT as the next big thing, everybody now has a college degree or whatever in IT.

yeah but what do you want to do in terms of a job? In fact comptia has a pretty good road map

certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf

I just want to move up im nearly retarded ._. Idec just something better.

Ill check that out. I just want the easiest one since im fucking retarded.

I think a lot of that stuff needs years of experience and I dont have that unfortunately, i'm only 24 and it was hard enough to get this tier 2 helpdesk job

Granted I didnt have as many certs at the time

that's not nice

Tell me what I should do.

>Tier 2 IT Support at large hospital $15/h
>Graduate Information Systems May 2018
>Have an impressive homelab of mostly linux stuff (Freeipa, openvpn, zfs, dokuwiki, etc)
>Looking to get RHCSA soon

I'm also constantly studying Linux Academy courses for the RHCSA, Python and DevOps stuff such as Ansible.

I still feel behind and worthless even though I know I'm competent.

also I'm 21

Sell drugs or find a different path. Personal experiences aside, I worked in the IT industry long enough to tell you it sucks hence why I quit it and keep computers as a hobby. There are literally a million other things you can do out there that will pay more without you having to think about computers or idiots who doesn't know how to use one that puts a virus/malware on it 2 hours after literally buying it out of Bestbuy. Oh and having 0 boss that breaths into your neck for $25 is well worth it.

Get a job in IT ASAP and never quit it till you can upgrade to a higher paying position because the moment you stop working in IT for even 1 month you're literally never gonna get a job in the industry anymore.

I am in IT? I'm tier 2 support.

aka receive tickets from helpdesk and go help a doctor use a computer.

My only aptitude is computers and technology. Im near retarded but tech comes easy to me tbqh...

this guy is a retard don't listen to him.

webdev who wants to learn more about security here. wtf are you talking about and where can I even learn this shit? It seems like secret hidden knowledge. From google it seems like the only thing to security is installing kali linux but I know its more complicated than that.

>the moment you stop working in IT for even 1 month you're literally never gonna get a job in the industry anymore.
bullshit

>I am in IT? I'm tier 2 support.
>aka receive tickets from helpdesk and go help a doctor use a computer.

My bad, that's literally how long I have been out of the IT game.

Well shit still stands to never quit that shit and just keep pushing through if you really want it.

Well I don't know what to say then.

Do you have any better ideas?

Try it then tell me the results. I've seen so many friends of mine that I graduated with in college never get a job in IT again after quitting their job and not getting hired after a short time and the most common thing people tell to them is that their out of date with IT stuff when they literally just stopped working in IT for like 2 months.

>Ill check that out. I just want the easiest one since im fucking retarded.
pls don't b so hard on urself user :)

Why companies wont give people fair shakes anymore?

There are two god damn never ending cycles

Cycle 1: you need experience for this job but to get experience, you need this job

Cycle 2: you need a security clearance for this job, but the only ways to get a clearance is to get a job

>Wants to be a YouTuber
>Thinks getting a job paying above national median would be a disappointment

Ah to be young and retarded, still thinking you're going to be unique and better than anyone else

friend from uni just snagged 110k starting, 40k signing bonus, 10k stock signing bonus from ms here in the NW.

OP, lots of IT jobs around here over 70k, get some experience

Any employers or recruiter here?

what is some entry level networking and security titles to search for?

>get some experience

wish it was that easy, refer to []

Thanks for calling me young and retarded because if I was still actually young, I would have done a lot of things back differently knowing what I know now and NEVER have gone into IT. Instead go straight to my current career because I could have been making more money here than what I ever made with IT working 9-5 with a boss breathing down my neck and dealing with office politics.

Your friend's killing it, and 70k on the west coast doesn't go nearly as far as it does most anywhere else

Most of us won't make anywhere near that starting, just be happy to have a job and experience

What do you do

If you're still in college, do internships. If you're not in college, apply for internships anyway and hope for the best.

I work as a programmer, my total comp is a little over $180k now.

My ideal would be to switch to a job that pays me 60% as much but I only have to work three days per week, but nobody seems to be open to this.

It's fucking nonsense.

Just got my first Internship for Networking/General IT for a startup company I found on indeed.

Pays a measly $16/hr but It's an amazing environment and the people are great

Funny thing is, although I'm going to University for Business Information Systems, I secured the job with self-taught linux knowledge.

>tfw Sup Forums technically landed me a job by piquing an interest in UNIX

How could I go about, education wise, getting a job in system security or computer forensics?
The uni I'm interested in only really has a CS degree. Doing community college right now, thinking of either getting an AAS or associates in IT.

If I plan on getting CCNA certified, do I really need Net+?

CS is a great asset to any security or forensics analyst.

fake tits are good looking when dressed, but they're horrible when naked

>There are literally a million other things you can do out there that will pay more without you having to think about computers or idiots who doesn't know how to use one that puts a virus/malware on it 2 hours after literally buying it out of Bestbuy.

sounds like you were just some support monkey.

That is literally the lowest rung of "computing as a job", so your experiences really are worth a grain of salt.

Congrats, this is the real path to success. Keep getting that degree, but getting a job whilst you're in uni off the back of your self taught knowledge is a great start.

I wouldn't start you more than 40k.Your certs are not difficult to come by...a BIS and 1.5 years exp on helpdesk help, but the whole picture doesn't scream enthusiasm or that you are an exceptional case. For an entry BIS position I'd pay a lot more for someone with only 1.5 years exp if they had Cisco, RHEC and had a home networked server lab with multiple OSes and personal projects involving cloud tech, virtualization, containerization, or security. And if you could describe in detail to me why you love your favorite open source router/vpn, you could talk me into 45k.

It's mostly your apparent immersion in the field that is lacking.

BIS is kind of a strange field. Entry level is a lot of sorry SOBs (bless their souls) without degrees that are just gung ho about IT/IS. Those who do get their degrees often get them in night school. Mid to upper levels are a mixed group of those guys, former net-admins, and some programmers. You need to be in the trenches for a while really. If you have aspirations in CTO level shit, you might think about other benefits they offer, like will they pay for you to get an MBA or certs. I've seen a lot of CTOs who have a cs/engineering background too.

She has nice tiddies.

Bitch you have to get a low paying job to get the experience

Then you get the big check at the place that requires experience

Finding that first job is the hard part but keep at it

These "my buddy is making $125k at (big four co) starting" stories are cherry picked. The average CS grad or self taught is not getting anything close to that starting out.

daily reminder you need to be a CHAD to even lay a finger on this girl

>fake
not even, m8
literally first result on reverse image
>redbust.com/helga-lovekaty-nude-bedroom/

>These "my buddy is making $125k at (big four co) starting" stories are cherry picked
how come everyone on Sup Forums posts about making $200k base + $100k bonuses
are they lying??? :(

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Its nonsense that somebody making 180k will cry like a spoiled brat

Anyone have sauce?

where do you study out of curiosity?

Whats wrong with kvm?

Don't be ridiculous, why would people lie on the internet?

What's a lab? First year undergrad here, no bully pls.

Depends on where. Silicon Valley tech job will make 90k+ fresh out of college. NYC possibly more or less (depending on industry). In LA, maybe a around 70k if in/directly around the city.
Elsewhere maybe or maybe not, dunno.

My high-school programming teacher said she used to program cars for BMW. How does one get into something like this? Currently junior CS major and the languages they have classes for are java c++ and python. My dream job is to design software for medical equipment like fMRI and such.

Fuck anons, I'm stuck between decisions.
So long story short I've been programming for money for like 5 years now. I am a teamleader of backend team, earn ok money but I fucking hate my job, or to be precise the company.
My apartment lease is ending november but I am thinking about quitting my job and going fullmode freelance although I never did it before.

You think I should just work after hours trying to gain clients? I have legit zero experience with freelance work, also zero clients lined up. I am however a fantastic backend and workable fullstack dev. I was thinking about picking up maintanance jobs but dunno where to start.

WOT DO

Companies will be sucking your dick to work for them.

/helga_model/ on instagram

Work is a waste of time, I don't understand why I can't just make less money and spend less time working.

>absolutely no certs or bachelors
>only have associates from a CC
>land a job as help desk starting at $20 with my 10/10 interviewing skills
>ezpzlmnsqzy job

Real talk, for guys like us with little to no credentials I honestly believe people/interviewing skills are our strongest asset. It's the only thing that separates you vs the autistic guy with 1 gorillion certs in the interviewing process.

Remember that HR is filled with normie woman who don't really know much other than "is this a good candidate" and they're a usually your ticket to get through the front door. So learning how to deal with them and getting on their good side is an absolute must.

Also, if your in a position where your not in dire need of a job try and find a company that gives you room to grow and are willing to teach you stuff. Places like best buy and the like are dead end jobs. Best of luck, guy.

Thank you :3
I think youre right also tbqh

I'll never understand how people get trapped in help desk positions out of school.

Unless you have absolutely no programming skills or database knowledge, you should never have to settle for such a shitty job.

I got an entry level mainframe programming job coming out of school this year since I learned COBOL in my final year at my school and no way would I settle for a fucking help desk job.

i have an interview with cisco for a network engineering internship position, but it's full time and they want me to defer a semester of university (2nd yr/2nd semester) in order to do it

is it worth it?

Moms basement

Can I get into IT with a non-computer related degree and a CCNA?

CCNA is a decent networking cert, you would stand out in an entry level position but because you dont have experience, you probably wont get the job

I needed quick money and experience, got some certs in shit I actually want to do which maybe that will get me somewhere

I am not by any means trapped, I have ambition and a plan

You'll definitely get a good job. Salary will depend heavily on geographic location.

The experience thing really doesn't help much, though. Not unless it's actual good and useful experience.

Unless you have absolutely no choice, you'd be a lot better of learning as much about the job you actually want instead of just settling for shit. It's not hard to stand out in a development job interview if you can talk out any technical questions, same with any higher end networking ones. Having help desk experience is barely better than a retail job these days.

It's good that you have a plan at least, but I really wouldn't waste too much time in the shitty side of tech, once you have a job in something, ALWAYS be looking for something better every single day.

Freelance is a meme that ends in you being destitute.

Find a job you don't hate. You have experience, shouldn't be difficult.

fuck you, eat dicks

>got a IT degree from a crappy state college
>got IT internship immediately after through family friend for 13/hr got fired less than a month later
>Did nothing for months
>Got crappy IT call center job in giant tech company through contractor for 14/hr
>Company fucked me over and a lot of people got out after less than a year
>Went to new less crappy but more calls IT call center job making 19/hr as full time employee.
>Realized no upward mobility in this job so got a comfyish desktop support job making a bit more, 45k, like two or three dollars more an hour in a university setting.

Been here for months, also I have no certs as of this time.

Where do you live? My first job was tier 2 helpdesk for 20/hr