/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress and single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 580 if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX470/570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx
pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3885vs3919
tweaktown.com/reviews/8135/asrock-fatal1ty-x370-gaming-k4-motherboard-review/index3.html
pcpartpicker.com/DGP8wV
pcpartpicker.com/list/DGP8wV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not true.
anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/am4-chipset-driver.aspx

i'm too old and tired to be jumping through hoops beside win7 is compromised thanks to being aborted.

have any anons got Ryzen and 7 working? im curious

>win7 is compromised thanks to being aborted.
Not true either.
pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/
github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19
If your excuse is you're too old for something so technically simple as sticking the drivers in a USB then you need to get out and rethink your life.

I haven't visited any speccy threads lately so I have no idea.

>user patch
ye naw

Go with your Ubuntu install then, Xubuntu or Kubuntu are pretty good.

Any russianons can recommend me a good ssd with 240gb?
budget is 6000 roubles

Cхoдить в CCД-тхpeд /хaвэ/ нeльзя?

>russian imageboards

Comes to around $2000 Australian dollarooz.

Any recommendations/changes?

/hw/ is somewhat decent.

>current state of windows

Non-K 7700? I'd opt for 1600/1600x and AM4 mobo then.

>Goyvidia
>Jewtel

I know that feel. Yeah, W10 is fucking bullshit but it's all fun and games until you get a couple dozen actual botnets and a bitcoin miner on the side for fiddling around with debloaters, user patches and unsigned drivers from god knows where.

1070 is okay.

>2000 odds
>for Intel shit SSD and a Seagate
I think that 1070 is eating up your budget.

Will rx 580 8gb be bottlenecked with the G4560?

I'd be happy to spend the xtra $50 for the 7700K
do you have any viable advice or just memes?
I'm open to other ideas user (1070 comes to $629)

>i7
absolute shit

the i7 is shit you fucking mong theres your advice

Looks okay. Seems like a lot for not much PC, though. I think you can make similar in the US for about $900.
Not sure about Seagate, though. I haven't seen recent reliability numbers.

>I'd be happy to spend the xtra $50 for the 7700K
But you have a 7700 there.

shitpost elsewhere.

If anything, it's overkill for 1080p@60 which is what I suspect you want to play at with that CPU. Scale down to a 470/570.

I did temporarily but i couldn't get USB working at all. Was using ps/2. Just gave up and put Linux on it. It's not like many games or anything are even coming out and directx is going to die in the next year or two. Productivity stuff is better on Linux than windows anyway. For me at least.

>Will rx 580 8gb be bottlenecked with the G4560?
What do you think...? That's honestly such a dumb question.
The G4560 can't keep over 60fps in a good deal of games, whereas the 580 can handle 1440p 60fps+ let alone 1080p.
So yes, it will bottleneck it heavily in many games even at 1440p. If you want to stay over 60fps minimum in most games, you need at least a 1500X.

You should at most pair the G4560 with an RX560, 1050Ti, RX470, or simply use the iGPU.

>stuttering isnt a issue
>power consumption isnt a issue
>heat isnt a issue
>deliding isnt a issue
>the fact that it costs more than a 8 core isnt a issue

wew lad stop shilling for intel

Talk me out from replacing corsair cx750m for seasonic prime titanium 650. Please.
I can afford it, and want it but still feels like a waste.

7700 don't stutter nearly as bad as i5s, tho. Maybe he doesn't play any of the games that the 7700 still stutter on. I haven't seen conclusive evidence that it's so problematic like on the 7600k and other i5s. One is GTAV, which is fine if you just frame rate limit it to 150fps.
But maybe he should price out a 1600 and RX580 build and spend more on a monitor and shit instead.

Can't talk you out of that, senpai. That's a good purchase and the cx750m is pretty garbo. Though I'd probably get the 520w Seasonic fanless instead. Or one of the other brand models based on it that have some extra features.

Would I be satisfied with the i5-7600k if I intend to use it for gaming and normal desktop activities (watching movies/reading/shitposting) only, or should I get the i7-7700k just to be safe?

I don't plan on using more than 2 monitors(both 75hz), and I'll probably never use it as a workstation either

you should get 1600x. seriously.
$100 cheaper and no i5 downsides with all it's benefits.

>7700 don't stutter nearly as bad as i5s
stuttering is still stuttering, ryzen doesn't have this problem

4c/4t is garbage and a stutterfest in lots of games from the past few years.
The 1600 is better on average in every way over the 7600k.

As for the 7700k, that's an option that's better than the 7600k but don't forget the delidding service, more expensive board, cooler, and so on that makes it cost more, on top of the lack of warranty.

I have a circuit thats based on Proto Stripboard. I built a couple and they work as designed. however I would like a cleaner board so was thinking express pcb or other place to make me some boards up. They have a designer however I am on a MAC and its for PC. If anyone knows of someone willing to help or can do it for a small fee let me know. I want to take the below circuit and add a DPDT relay as shown. I will also have another board I already have jumper wired to this board. This is what the circuit looks like... Any help or referrals will be appreciated...

What is going on, whole R5 line is available in salvlands except for 1600x.
Damn you bourgeois!

whats that comic?

That sucks since I heard the x version has no benefit over the normal one once you decide to oc

Tons of people don't want to OC.

Apparently the 1600X and 1600 are both extremely popular.
Jet had the 1600 for $190 initially, but since they restocked they're higher prices now.

>whats that comic?
It comes in the box with MSI GPUs. At least the RX500 ones but I assume GTX cards would have a slightly different one.

price-wise the 1600x isn't really that different from 7700k

Seems like the only reason why a person would get it is for the core and thread count, and I'm not sure if they're needed(?) for what I'm planning on doing.

(My budget is around £800, but I can go over to 900 if necessary)

>Apparently the 1600X and 1600 are both extremely popular.
NOOOOOOOOO

>X version
don't getting the 1600 and overclocking yourself is a better route

Yeah it's a holdout killer. I see heaps of people with ancient PCs grabbing 1600s.

The 7700k needs a more expensive motherboard and 180w+ TDP instead of 100-140w TDP cooler. Why are you comparing the CPU cost in a vacuum?

>Yeah it's a holdout killer. I see heaps of people with ancient PCs grabbing 1600s.
Yeah, it's the new 2500k of this past half-decade.

I want a 1600X though since I might not want to OC, or if I do for hopefully a slightly higher OC. I was hoping it'd go on sale quick like the 1800X did... but it's not looking like it will.

Wtf England. It's $300 Vs $500 in Australia between 1600 and 7700k

it's some sale, still more expensive than 1600x+B350 than 7700K+z270

cooler would be the same.

What did you expect? Its good and it's relatively cheap.

It's £195.99 minus VAT on Newegg UK, and VAT isn't £85.
Guy is just lying or dumb. Go figure someone stupid would use that website he screenshotted from to begin with.

When is RX 560 supposed to come out?

Would it be better to get a decent non reference 1080 like the Galax HOF edition over a reference 1080ti and spend money on somewhere else like a better motherboard, ssd or memory
coming from someone who plays on 1080p 144hz

I would also spend on monitor/ssd/psu/case first.
Most people will change the GPU much more often than those components, especially when they go Nvidia.

It's probably the latter, since I hadn't even looked/heard of the site before

I've never build a computer myself, so I just assumed that I'd be alright if I used Ebay and amazon like usual

Good question! I had a built ready in pcpartpicker, but I forgot to save it before cleaning my cookies so I lost it, but as far I remember it was within the budget and everything looked like it'd go together pretty nicely.

I've also heard from people that getting the 7700k would be more beneficial for me in the future, so I don't mind spending the extra 150 for whatever I need. They also claimed that AMD is slow and lags like crazy, but that was a few months ago and.

yes, a few months ago AMD was slow and lagged like crazy

Why would a 7700k be more beneficial in the future when so many games the past few years use up 95% on all 8 threads without it reaching 144fps?

95-100%*

Can't find a good comparison, though. Professional tech reviewers are too busy benchmarking 8 year old games.

So going by these threads, the general consensus on the GTX 1080ti seems to be
>Only buy if you have too much money or if you are an impatient chimpanzee

Did I get that right?

>Why would a 7700k be more beneficial in the future
It won't. More and more games and applications will be optimized for mutli core use in the future and this is where the 7700K will fall behind CPUs with more cores.
If you want something futureproof i suggest you get a R5, R7 or 6800K if you're an Intel fuccboi.

I'd normally say that about Nvidia's top end cards. Though the 1080Ti is actually decent performance/$.
It's just that Vega will almost surely be a better buy even without the Gsync-idiot-tax.

I've come into some money (UK) and my PC has issues with the motherboard ethernet (z97 gaming 3) and needs an upgrade, problem is that I will need to get new RAM and CPU along with it.

I'm planning to get an i5 7600k with 16GB RAM and 6 SATA slots. Mainly gaming with plans to get a 1440p monitor. Recommendations?

>i5 7600K
Shit choice. Get R5 1600. Also, if it's only your ethernet, why not simply get a PCI adapter?

Why don't you read the OP? i5s aren't worth considering for any purpose.

I need advice on what AM4 motherboard to get:
>not more than € 200
>overclocking a 8 core cpu
>single gpu
>excellent audio
>good fan profile support
>at least 6 sata connectors
>good RAM support

What are my options?

>overclocking a 8 core cpu
Get one with 4 real VRMs and a heat sink, or 5 or 6 real VRMs if you're worried about VRM cooling. But really the pro 4's 3 doubled VRMs are generally fine.
>excellent audio
Get a DAC. If you want to be a bitch about it, then just look at ones that have the audio shielded and on its own PCB layer.
>at least 6 sata connectors
hard to say since some having a SATA disable for each m.2 in use. But you can easily filter your search for that.
>good RAM support
They all seem fine now.
>good fan profile support
They pretty much all have many 4 pin fan connectors and a fan control utility.

>main issue usb support
which means if I have a dvd drive I can install it from the dvd instead? neat

Gigabyte Gaming 3 or Asus X370 Pro.
Both have good VRM, good audio (ALC1220), good fan profiles, SATA idk, Gigabyte may have less than 6 and RAM... well, pick your poison.
Imho get the Asus X370 for better OC and more SATA ports, it should be like 150 bucks.

Hi Sup Forumsuys

So, im gonna buy the i7 7700 today but in my local hardware store there is no stock of 2400mhz ram.

>There is no problem using 2666mhz ram?
Because my i7 only supports 2133 and 2400

You can use faster RAM with it with a Z270 board.
I'm not sure if 2666 will downclock to 2400 automatically on a B250 board or if it'll drop all the way down to 2133.

Thoughts on this micro ATX build?
Its not for gaming, GPU only for additional outputs.

Fractal Design Mini
MSI B350M
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
R7 240 - for extra outputs
Corsair H100i AIO
650W PSU
8GB DDR4

That is my case I will buy a B250 mobo

>1400
>H100i
>650w PSU
what th fefuck

Should i go for a 1500X or 1600?

What is your budget and your build purpose? Especially programs that you will mostly use.

If there are no beeps whwn starting, fans spin, and you are sure psu works, how do i get to know if it's cpu or mobo dead? Cpu heatsink is really cold after half an hour of working

1500X at the very least. 1400 isn't really worth considering unless it's

I also replaced cmos battery

Even if I disable ethernet I still get a huge hang on login

Posting from work so only read the first few sentences

re: R5 1600, looking at cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3885vs3919 the R5 doesn't seem to rate much better? It's been ages since I've had to care about a CPU so I'm pretty clueless nowadays, so feel free call me an idiot.

Current build:
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Black
SSD: 120GB Samsung 840 PRO
HDD: 4TB SEAGATE ST4000DM00 SATA3
GPU: 8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X GAMING
PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNOVA GS PSU

MOBO: Z97 GAMING 3
CPU : Intel i5 4690K
RAM: 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10

>userbenchmark
Yeah, you're clueless. How do you even wind up at such a retarded ass site?

I'll look into the asrock ab350 pro4, thanks.

I'll check these out as well. Any reason you didn't mention the Asrock X370 K4?

It's probably mobo. CPUs can usually outlast severial motherboards.

Buy 1600 if you just can afford it, extra two cores are well worth the price. But if you can't afford it then don't be too sad, 1500X is not too bad either.

>upgradeing from a haswell i5
retard

We don't know details about its VRM yet. Especially after it came out that ASRock is using a 3 phase on their B350 boards i'd be cautious with their boards. Only proven to be good ones are Taichi and Prpfessional Gaming, but they are expensive.

1600 and overclock it

Does crossfire suffer from microstutters just like SLI?

Honestly I just googled 'X v Y' and picked the first thing.

>upgradeing
>eing
Stones and glasses house user. But if you mean I should just stick with the CPU and therefore the socket, I'll just look for a 1150 motherboard and keep my RAM/CPU.

570 vs 480 if price is the same? Which is better?

480 probably if it's one with 8Gbps memory. Depends on the model and a bunch of shit.

>We don't know details about its VRM yet
tweaktown.com/reviews/8135/asrock-fatal1ty-x370-gaming-k4-motherboard-review/index3.html
He talks about the vrm briefly but then says he's not impressed in the conclusion.

I know that review, but it isn't conclusive. Is it 4phase doubled to 8, or is it the same shady shit ASRock pulled with the Pro4 / K4 by simply putting doubling the components in each phase to make it look like a 6 phase although it's a 3 phase.
Another thing is that they use NIKOS MOSFETs OR SinoPower, seemingly depending on region or random. It's a shady and bad practice.

Doesn't look like the Pro4s to me. Those are large mosfets and chokes.

Even if it is fucking "shadily hur dur" doubling like the Pro4, the pro4 will perfectly happily handle 1.45v vcore since the design runs cooler despite being 3 phases.

Current won't be as stable as with 4 true phases, also MOSFETs one the X370 K4 are the same, chokes are probably different since they advertise them if i'm not wrong?
>1.45v
That's not something i'd run 24/7, especially not on a 3 phase B350 board.

>That's not something i'd run 24/7
No shit. Which goes to show how more than good enough the Pro4's phases are. I think they're probably just as good as 4 decent real phases if not slightly better.
> especially not on a 3 phase B350 board.
Here I don't get wtf you're saying. The VRMs can handle it. It's just more than you'd want to give to the CPU.

Even the MSI GAMING PRO's 3 phases are probably enough, since it at least has a heatsink. That's the only thing I'd say is a requirement for overclocking the 4 or 6 cores, is that it has a heatsink for the VRMs.
But I'm pretty sure you could still get decent OCs on the 8 cores still on those modest boards.

I got my pro 4 and I'll let you know when I get my CPU I guess. But many people have shown that 5 or 6 phases is complete overkill even on the 8 cores.
Boards like the Taichi with its 16 small phases are made to deliver what.. like 350-450watts? Those are LN2 boards.
Seriously, just avoid the ones without heatsinks and you'll be fine, though personally I wouldn't go with 3 cheap phases like the MSI GAMING PRO.

>CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHZ Box

>Motherboard: Asus H170 Pro Gaming

>Hard-drive: HDD 1TB SATA3 + SSD 240GB SATA3

>RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2133 PC4-17000 16GB 2x8GB CL15

>GFX: Asus Dual GTX 1060 OC 6GB GDDR5

What do anons think? I know it might not be the best, since we could only afford 1200€ for this so far, but I know it makes a difference to my previous PC, because it can run DOOM 2016 and Dark Souls 3 fine, aside of some other games.

>obviously prebuilt from PCComponentes

Really bad. Everything about it is bad. It even looks bad.

You must be trolling. I'd be ashamed to post that if it were mine.

pcpartpicker.com/DGP8wV

Do I need to buy a wireless card for this? I cannot hook it up via ethernet

>~$1300 for that thing
You're massively overpaying in exchange for someone putting the parts and system together for you. You'd be significantly better off putting in the time and research to building it yourself and picking out the parts.

If that still sounds too daunting, there are plenty of places that will put together your computer for you for a fee, and it will still end up cheaper/faster than that.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DGP8wV
>not dual channel memory
>$125 for a 1050Ti
>shit EVGA PSU that's not semimodular instead of the M12II

fix those

Rx 470 is $200 minimum. I've switched out the ram, please rec a psu