/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N_jhRb_9yPA?t=5s
youtu.be/V5qT8EgSW7w?t=30s
youtu.be/8E08ij6peR4?t=11s
youtu.be/zhl-Cs1-sG4?t=5m52s
youtu.be/YR5ApYxkU-U?t=2m55s
innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#GZ56WKmzPYLvUWUr.97
youtube.com/watch?v=c2Es9S9tXTY
youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM
graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=573&graphID[1]=853&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update Graph
amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-600-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/
heidoc.net/amazon/amazon_global_check.php?asin=B00004SY4H
bax-shop.it/cuffie-monitor/sennheiser-hd-600-cuffie-monitor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't mind me, just posting the world's best headphones.

OP has really been stepping it up with these images for the past couple threads.

You are worse than the sebenza knife posting guy on /k/

What's the go to iem between $50-100 right now?

Neutral? Etymotic MK5 or HF5.

Got hd599 yesterday. Have HS8 monitors and DT-880.
They're great for games, which is what I got them for. They are comfortable and I can wear them for 4+ hours without issues even though my ears slightly touch the inner sides of them.

They aren't that great for music at all though and I would use the HS8s or DT-880s for music. They sound kind of dull or muffled, there is too much bass and mids, highs are pretty low, sometimes it sounds like there is a filter over everything.

I've got hd650s coming later this week that I'm going to compare to sound and comfort wise. I hope they're an improvement in both

I'm about to fall for HD600 meme.
But one question beforehand: is it comfortable?

HD650 is not as comfortable as the HD599 but the sound is a lot better. Do you have a DT880 Pro?

For me comfort:

HD599 = DT880 Premium > HD650 > DT880 Pro

Sound (IMO):

HD650 > HD599 = DT880 Pro = DT880 Premium

It is comfortable, but there are comfier headphones out there.

Almost impressive that you managed to give two worthless posters attention by whining and replying. Here I am joining the club.

I'm looking for the final solution to the skype/gaming mic question without going full autism in a full bm800/blue meme condenser mic setup
Anyone know if there are good erasers, or at least some way to DIY a quality lapel mic into a head set mic

Think a bit more bass.

Good *earsets
Like pic related

GR07 Bass Edition

>~$300 US
>Fulla 2
>Closed
>Neutral
>Past: Carbo Tenore, DT770.

I like the sound of the DT770's, just looking for something more neutral to complement them.

Considering the MSR7, SRH840, and DT250 so far.

I need to get some headphones for production because i can't always blast stuff through my monitors, should i get the Audio Technica M40X or the M50X?

I'd normally tend towards the more recent model, but i've been told that the M40X actually sounds more neutral (By 1 person). Or if you have any other studio headphones recommendations in the 100-200 buckaroos range tell me about them. But they need to have detachable cables and should be closed. I am not looking for Hi-Fi headphones.

HD 600 with acoustic foam

Why don't you want free monitor burn in?

The 600 have a pretty flat sound, after a bit of EQing they really shine

Where can i find these new? Only used on Amazon.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly

>for production
Beyer dt150 or dt100. Don't buy meme reddit phones.

Don't listen to this troll

If by production you mean monitoring while tracking, I'd opt for the HD380 for isolation, or DT250.

>I am not looking for Hi-Fi headphones.

If you're just looking for any random closed headphone, M40x is better (will need new pads), CB-1, NVX XPT100, DT770.

The ones I saw that were new on Amazon are for $120+-$5 for the Bass Edition and $100 for the regular version, both being shipped from Singapore. Only difference between them is maybe a 3dB increase in midbass and slightly better bass extention.

Never heard of anyone doing this, seems like it'd mess up the sound.

Since there is no speaker thread I'll ask the question here.
How do I connect an active sub to my LSR305s? Can I just use RCA Y-split?
Pic related.

>DT250 DT770

How many generations are these apart? Are they for different purposes or is the DT250 many years older like the name suggests? They're more expensive than DT770 though

>How many generations are these apart? Are they for different purposes or is the DT250 many years older like the name suggests?

Not really how that works, that's just their designation by the company.

DT770 is v shaped and has an attached cable, might be comfier.
DT250 is neutral and has a detachable cable.

outputs go into sub and from subs outputs go into monitors
it doesn't act as a third speaker or output, it just filters high frequencies and you only hear the low ones

And if the sub does not have outputs?

>Budget
I'm interested in two pricepoints. 300 euro and 600 euro. I will decide what to get depending on whether it's worth to spend 300 more. Please post both suggestion if possible.
>Location
Italy
>Source
M-audio Fast track PRO USB audio interface
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Sound signature
Should not emphasize bass too much, but it needs to be able to reproduce it well, since I'll be listening to a lot of electronic music.
Most important thing: TRASIENTS. There's nothing that I hate more than transients smudged by shit headphones. If they are there, I want to feel properly the pression in my ears.
>Past headphones
akg K420. Absolute winner with the transients. A tiny bit too much bass.

samsung $10 earplugs. Second best at transients. Not enough bass.

``yamaha hs5 monitors + sub''. Third best with trasients, still pretty good. Good amount of bass. Not technically headphones, heh.

Beats PRO. Meh at transients. Too much bass.

Sony MDR7506. Awful at transients. Completely fucked up frequency response. Why did I fall for this meme?

Did I do well /hpg/?

DT250, PM3, MDR-V6
DT250 is not that great for isolation.
Not him, but DT250 is Beyer's version of the popular MDR-V6 / MDR-7506.
For me, DT250 is comfier but it won't be comfier if you've got large ears as the earcups aren't roomy. Don't like the DT770's clamp.
I don't understand your post, look into K702, DT880 or HD600.

>I don't understand your post, look into K702, DT880 or HD600.

what can I explain better?

nah

Can you elaborate more on transients?

What's wrong with the 7506's frequency response specifically?

How is recommending headphones made for actual audio production to someone looking for headphones for audio production a troll?
I forgot to include dt250 though.

Yes, but it clamps like a motherfucker the first few days of use.

After a month or so, they're about as comfortable as HD598, which is very comfortable.

>yesterday
>haven't used them exclusively for a week or two
>has an opinion already somehow
Seesh. Your ears/brain do need some burn-in.
>sometimes it sounds like there is a filter over everything.
The veil™. Two ideas here:
- you're not used to them yet (highly likely, see above)
- you're not feeding them properly, such as with a motherboard with builtin amp or an external one like the Schiit Fulla 2 (unlikely, because the impedance vs freq isn't anywhere as crazy as HD598).
The TL;DR: Use them _exclusively_ for a week or two and report back.

Some HD600-compatible headband with cat ears would be nice.

>Can you elaborate more on transients?
Warning. I'm autistic.

The easiest way to get what I mean is to listen to this:

youtu.be/N_jhRb_9yPA?t=5s (the snare at 0:07 specifically, the others are far milder)
youtu.be/V5qT8EgSW7w?t=30s (the kicks *in the intro only*, the rest is too brickwalled)
youtu.be/8E08ij6peR4?t=11s (both the snare and, more subtly, the kick)
youtu.be/zhl-Cs1-sG4?t=5m52s (the acoustic drums in this track in general, but this section exemplifies it well)
youtu.be/YR5ApYxkU-U?t=2m55s (the drums in this track)

If your headphones reproduce well transients, you should be able to "feel" the impacts in these examples. It should completely stand out from the rest of the audio. This doesn't work for every "transient" for the exact definition of the word, especially if the transient is just a bunch of high frequencies in a synthesized snare or a similar burst of white-noise-like quality. Sometimes it's inconsistent within a single section of a track too because of careless buss compression.

It's actually difficult to find this kind of stuff, and people don't seem to appreciate it nearly enough. Makes me sad.

>What's wrong with the 7506's frequency response specifically?
Especially in the highs there are a lot of weird resonances that I've never experienced with any music playing equipment I had, including phone speakers and a lot of cheaper headphones that I have long forgotten the specifics of.

>~300€
Sennheiser HD600 seems to be exactly what you want.
>~600€
For competitive with HD600 hardware you have to get near 1k€ territory, so no.
Obviously go do the research on HD600 before buying. It's one of the most reviewed headphone sets out there, so you should find plenty about it.

I just bought a pair of ATH-M50X, should I also get a Audioengine D1?

I listen to my shit using spotify. No bully.

>For production
For closed monitors with good isolation, look into HD380 Pro.

Can't polish a turd so don't bother trying, Spotify's a fine player senpai.

>Can't polish a turd so don't bother trying
What do you mean? I thought the M50Xs were good?

>Spotify's a fine player senpai
I was expecting someone to criticize not listening to FLAC songs

>HD600s: the greater presentation of bass really serves well in getting the point of the music across. That said, its slow transients get in the way of really enjoying the music, as if the headphone is plodding through the music.

lookss like I'll pass :( looked cool as shit too

>shitting on M50X

at least come up with an argument you turd

>Audioengine D1
I don't know this device, so I did a little googling. Found this comparision vs schiit new Fulla2 device:

The AudioEngine D1 had a headphone output impedance of 10 ohms until about a year ago when they lowered the impedance to 2 ohms.
The D1 includes USB and optical inputs (no line in so no amp only use).
RCA out is a pre out (volume controlled) at full volume it is 2V RMS (equal to standard line out).
DAC is AK 4396.
Requires a power connection for use with optical input. Phones/tablets via USB may not work, even with the external power.
Has a bright white light on the front.

Fulla 2 has a headphone output impedance of .5 ohms.
The F2 includes USB input and line in (may use F2 as amp only).
Pre out (volume controlled) and line out are separate.
DAC is AK 4490.
Provides external power option to allow phone/tablet use.
No light.
Reviewers seemed to prefer Modi+Magni over D1 back in the day.

Philips SHP9500. Worth it?

I'd read/watch more reviews. It's a headphone that does everything well. I do own and love mine.

I actually listened to your linked videos and they're pretty damn satisfying.

Sorry I still don't understand your definition fully. But I think I grasp the idea.

If you want something with a relatively neutral frequency response that allows you to hear the 'transients' without peaky highs the only headphones I can recommend to you are the Sennheiser HD600.

M50x doesn't need an amp/DAC due to its flat impedance.

Yes

They used to be a nice niche headphone when it used to be cheaper, now there's much better options for around that price or even cheaper. The comfort isnt the good imo with the stock pads and that abre headband but thats somewhat subjective between person to person. There's no soundstage whatsoever.
>inb4 'soundstage isnt real''
It still somewhat fills that specific nuche of needing a V-shaped foldable headphone for travel with a detachable cable at $150 but that's about the best I can say about it.

Can't tell if user doesn't know what he's talking about, or I don't.

>soundstage
>real

Bare headband*
Niche* my typing's awful when not looking at the keyboard occasionally
I FUCKING KNEW IT

I'd start here: innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650#GZ56WKmzPYLvUWUr.97
(same, but vid) youtube.com/watch?v=c2Es9S9tXTY
(another review I liked) youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM

I have a hard time finding anything negative about them, and by my own experience I obviously disagree with that statement you found.

>subjective reviews of headphones

Absolutely disgusting.

"Transients" are mostly in the treble part of various sounds. The MDR7506 has peaky low-treble and high-treble if I remember correctly, no wonder that would rape your ear.

About the HD600 having "slow transients", I would guess it's bullshit and thit gentleman wanted to say "overemphasized high-bass".

You should probably try the HD600 and EQ that bass bump out, or try the DT880 and hope the icepick in the treble won't make your ears bleed too much. Large bumps are easier to EQ than peaks if you don't have measuring equipment.

>Sorry
no, thank you. Since three anons recommended HD600, I'll search for a place that demoes them here. Italy sucks

It's very possible that due to my autism I perceive certain things in music in a weird way (like for example how the texture of certain foods that are generally popular, like a mars bar, almost make me puke).

I'm pretty good at music, though. I've played several instruments, and more specifically while I produced electronic music (after being ignored pretty much my whole life, getting 10k plays in a day after I posted a song for the first time felt better that my first bj lol) I struggled a lot with this, sometimes spending 30 minutes on a track, then wasting 10 hours on the snare track trying to find EQ, compression, saturation and hard clipping combinations that had the kind of transients I wanted, just to toss the whole track away because they ended up being either too inconsistent or the track ended up being like -6db LUFS quieter than comparable commercial tracks (yeah, I realize now how stupid that was). I think I get it a bit better now, even though I don't really produce anymore. The basics seem to be pretty simple (in theory, not in practice): the simplest "recipe" is to just have good samples/recordings, not precompressed (duh), add compression with long attack and (relatively) short release, if needed add a TOUCH of transient shaper (if possible, leave the attack unchanged and decrease the sustain by just a tiny bit, not too much or you'll have to boost unreasonably the level), then IF NEEDED, to bring back up the RMS, add a *touch* of hard clipping (you can be a bit more liberal on the snare, but pay careful attention to the kick from a variety of devices if you don't want to make a boxxy mess). If after this you need to raise too much the drum busss, you likely need to do it again, or the trasients will be too sharp and obnoxius, while almost not being able to hear the drums themselves.

I want to buy 600 or 650 but there is no place around where I can demo any. Can you explain on words what's the difference?

600: a bit more treble
650: a bit more high-lows that some people seem to dislike. Also they're supposed to have matched drivers.

>(like for example how the texture of certain foods that are generally popular, like a mars bar, almost make me puke).
Neat example. These make me want to puke too. But it's the excessive sugar. Just looking at sugary stuff makes me nauseous.

Is 220 euro a good price for used hd600? Seems to be as good as new.

>HD650 matched drivers.
HD600 too. They match them well these days, but in the past was terrible.
>HD600 vs HD650
They're very close to each other and parts are exchangeable.

HD650 do way stronger subbass and somewhat stronger bass, at the expense of clarity of mids. Treble is less present, making them dark headphones. The design aim for these was on adding subbass for the millennials that do seem to like to "feel" the bass on their skull.

Despite that, they're considered pretty good, but generally come second to the much more neutral HD600 on reviews, which typically are sold for ironically cheaper.

Don't they cost 240 new?

That'd be a really good sale.

300 euro on amazon in italy ;_;

FR of both (overlapped): graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=573&graphID[1]=853&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update Graph
Notice how HD650 is way more colored, with dramatically higher bass and somewhat higher mids. Notice how it's also darker, because of the much lower treble.
This graph sealed the deal for me, and I went with HD600.

I paid 350€ a couple month ago for them.

amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-600-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B00004SY4H/

can't you import them from the uk?

>This item does not ship to Italy - Mainland. Learn more

:(

have you checked the spanish/french/german amazons as well?

heidoc.net/amazon/amazon_global_check.php?asin=B00004SY4H

+ search for alternatives

e.g. quick google: bax-shop.it/cuffie-monitor/sennheiser-hd-600-cuffie-monitor

unfortunately yes. in germany it's 399 euro, kek

oh shit that's a cool web page you got there

That shows 280 euro for me. Maybe the place you live in doesn't have VAT, so it's displaying a lower price for you?

I searched a bit, including sketchy price comparator websites, and 280 euro seems to be the norm

UK here so I have 20% VAT

Let's write a Zeos review line by line. I'll start:

HEY I'M ZEOS

Just wait.

>negro

WHAT DID AMAZON MEAN BY THIS?

>I've got hd650s coming later this week
Should have ordered HD600 instead if you like dem highs because on HD650 they are more rolled off. I think HD600 has the perfect highs balance wise, you NEED to roll off high frequencies because of how close the driver is to your ear otherwise you get raped because music is mastered on speakers and they roll off high frequencies more than headphones.

>you NEED to roll off high frequencies

and that's why every single pair of beyerdynamics is pure shit

You must have sensitive fetus ears, senpai

>tfw you realize soundstage exists

>mfw I've developed tinnitus

Does this shit go away? I can hardly sleep with the ringing sound

This. Speakers are veiled for a reason.

Why are there no good standalone DACs that go straight to headphone out. I don't need an amp.

I'd check the doctor.

And I suggest HD600 to prevent further earrape.

In some cases yes, most of the time no. If anything, it gets worse.

Definitely try to audition HD600. Overall its a good headphone with great mids and non raping but decently extended highs. You will need to EQ out mid bass hump I think and bring up sub bass because while bass is nice and natural, stock wise it doesn't extend deep. They do great with vocals and with acoustic instruments, but they might not satisfy you with electronic music. They still have great midrange, just remove midbass hump, that helps them in every music, but they don't really have that much 'drive' for electronic music and may sound too relaxed for it when it comes to the stock sound. I think this is the achilles heel of HD600, electronic music but, I didn't mess with EQ much which may solve such issues. Post examples of an electronic music you listen to.Your other option is Beyerdynamics DT880, they have good tight bass, they sounded 'faster' to me but have a problem of an ear raping treble which you will have to EQ down.

I wanted to recommend HD700 because they are really a next step from HD600 as they get bass really nicely both quantity and quality, have dat drive for fast music and good detailed treble but at the same time they are so fucked up sound wise with slowly but surely raping treble, dip in upper mids and some other inconsistencies. I don't know why Sennheiser had to fuck around with their sound so much, I think they probably wanted it to be different from HD600/800 but not to such an extend, I heard they were made by a new RND team.

>And I suggest HD600 to prevent further earrape.
d-d-delete this, my dt 880s are just f-f-fine!

>If anything, it gets worse.

Try not to focus on it, it will only get louder.

>be a stingy piece of shit and buy a plastic chinese amp or the fulla 2
>few months later the loose cheap volume knob is maxed out making me go deaf and my audio setup is now useless
I deserved it desu ne
Who wants my HD 600

Considering whether or not to give away my 668B's before upgrading. How does the bass on this compare to the HD598, 650, and 600?

I bought a FiiO Q1 and it still works fine a year later.
Shouldn't have fallen for the "made by fat american sausage fingers" meme

>waaa tintus

Man up fgt, unless its an insanely frequent one you can live with it, now imagine losing some db in high frequencies in your left ear, thats the shit. Take care of your ear anons and try avoid strong treble on headphones or limit your listening session and PLEASE GO CHECK YOUR HEARING. Everyone tells left and right about the dangers of smoking, how important are your teeth and etc. but none of thouse faggots say anything on hearing, loss of which you CAN'T recover in most of the cases if it was not your membrane but nerves and you WON'T NOTICE IT because it starts at very high frequencies. Not my words but doctor's.

Fulla 2 isn't chink shit. The pot will definitely not do that.

And it was released last december or so, it can't degrade THAT FAST.

After many hours of reading and some listening (sadly the only higher end headphones in store were Bose BC 25 and 35 and that wireless Sony for about 300-400 euro)

I dont know what to buy. I'll listen at home, but I'll plug the headphones in my iPhone SE.

Considering;

MX40 (89 euro)
DT 770 Pro (probably the 32ohm version, 139 euro)

Or just go cheapass and get the Sony ZX770AP (wired model, the common one is BT, 43 euro)

The again the more I read, the more I realize open cans would be better since I'll listen at home anyway. So maybe I should buy a Sennheiser?

Cant find a lot of reviews of those new models in the 500 series. My options are;

518 (199 euro)
559 (149 euro)
579 (199 euro)
599 (249 euro)

Or the HD 600 but I dont think I should run that without an amp, no? Also by this point I'm in a different price range altogether.

Tl;dr what do!? My default Apple EarPods are not cutting it at home