Is Elementary OS good?

is it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's okay I guess. Not much customization available and the stock apps are shitty tho

No, it's literally just a pre-riced Ubuntu with more bugs.

>Not much customization
Wrong, you can customize in the same way that you can on any LInux distro. It's still Ubuntu at its core.

why use a freetard knockoff when you could use the real thing?

I would ask for the wallpaper because I love Illya but it's probably illegal in my state and some judge would probably misunderstand (I just want to protect her!)

You're an idiot, m8. It's the only distro that actually develops their own programs instead of changing the wallpaper of an existing DE.

no

(。>﹏

right, their own programs that you can install on any other Linux distro. Linux Mint develops its own DE, cinnamon, but you can still get it on any other distro

You're absolutely retarded m8. It has its own DE.

I installed it the other day
they are starting to make stupid decisions to make it even more casual than it needs to be

you have to install a package to even have the typical terminal commands

>Pantheon
Literally just a riced GNOME

>you have to install a package to even have the typical terminal commands
You have to install the coreutils?

im gonna track you down and touch your cute loli tits illya

You can't get pantheon on other distros. Even on Arch it's pain in the ass to use.
No. It's like what Budgie is to GNOME, but even more retarded.

delet this

>No. It's like what Budgie is to GNOME, but even more retarded.
So a riced GNOME but they call it from scratch?

>You can't get pantheon on other distros. Even on Arch it's pain in the ass to use.
So it also messes up libraries like Unity, or does it use ancient versions of GTK?

why?

Fuck off nigger

no bully

he's actually one of the better avatarfaggers

Why does Linux has this bug that when you close the lid of your laptop it doesnt turn back on, so you have to forze shutdown the computer?

*she

>she

I use Ubuntu on my laptop, this doesn't happen. It's not a Linux issue, it's probably an issue with whatever distro you're using.

I refuse to believe this

It's funded by hobo beggars

it's the best

t. former distro hopper

>So a riced GNOME but they call it from scratch?
Again, it's not just a riced GNOME, it's their own shell built from scratch. They even made the apps specifically for Pantheon.
>So it also messes up libraries like Unity, or does it use ancient versions of GTK?
You get either obsolete dependencies or unstable packages. If you actually wanna try it out, here you go: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon

>it's their own shell built from scratch
Could you explain this please? It felt and looked like GNOME with some extensions and a shell theme.

>If you actually wanna try it out
No thank you, I don't find it looking too appealing. Also the dock they use had to be restarted every few days else it started to consume even more battery life.

no
it was something like systemtools
oh now I remember
the scripts to add sources to apt are not even installed by default anymore

Eh, must be because of the ancient hardware im using (MacBook Pro 1,2)

>the scripts to add sources to apt are not even installed by default anymore
That's software-properties-common iirc. It doesn't come by default with Ubuntu, it does come by default with Ubuntu Desktop (Unity). It's also a good way to break systems and not useful for the target audience of Elementary OS, so I can understand they did not add that.

I tried it out on my old macbook, it didn't support the trackpad well, but I won't blame it for that. It was pretty, but if your going for a "user friendly" distro I'd just go with ubuntu and then install something other than unity. (I like unity though, so I generally stick with it.)

its buggy af and ugly, so no.

>Could you explain this please? It felt and looked like GNOME with some extensions and a shell theme.
It looks quite like GNOME, but it ain't GNOME Shell. Obvious differences: no Dash (it's replaced with Plank), no Launchpad(Mac)-like application menu, different sub-menus, different workspace change implementation, etc. It doesn't even work with gnome-tweak-tool properly.
>No thank you, I don't find it looking too appealing.
It's not like you can't rice it though.

If the devs had just concentrated on making a nice looking DE, it'd be a fine project. But no, instead of focusing on something they actually have some ability in, they decided that what the world needed was an entirely new distro. And then they have the temerity to try to trick people into paying for their half-assed 'OS.'

Nope.jpg