/wt/ - watch thread

Anti-wristlet edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

orientwatchusa.com/shop/mens-watches/fac09004D0/
i.4cdn.org/g/1493226432244.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for the most A E S T H E T I C watch of all time

>Anti-wristlet edition

t. Fatmaster OP

>people wearing watches bigger than their wrist

Are vintage Fabre-Leuvas any good?

>Wristlet
I have 7.5" wrists, I'm fat, and a 36mm watch looks perfectly fine on me. Plus traditionally sized watches are WAY more comfortable to wear.

>tfw when stuck with a 16mm band on a 17mm lug width

the anti-wristlet part is because of the new orient diver being 46 mm

orientwatchusa.com/shop/mens-watches/fac09004D0/

Are the Vietnamese straps considered formal? They're pretty coarse looking. Is there a "more formal" scale pattern, or is it just preference?

>but I've had a cheap shit SKMEI Casio copy that's been keeping perfect time for a year now.
bullshit, post pics with timestamp

Coarse looking how? If you mean the scale pattern that varies for each strap. The fit and finish look fine on that one.

>Coarse looking how? If you mean the scale pattern that varies for each strap. The fit and finish look fine on that one.
I suppose it might just be photograph quality / lighting. I'm new to higher-end watches (low-midrange to most of you probably) and I don't know how these things are supposed to look.

Found some pics on various watch forums and they look fan-fucking-tastic though, it's just that they mostly look crap in the eBay pics for some reason. Vietnamese guy should invest in a nice camera setup..

They would be priced 4 times the price if they had a brand name on them

>They would be priced 4 times the price if they had a brand name on them
I believe it. The one on the far left is sexy.

I see that the vendor is selling both padded (5mm thick in total) and unpadded (2mm)... is there some rule on which to go with for best aesthetics? I generally like thinner, but if padded straps are more traditional then I don't really want to break the mold.

There are no rules. Different thickness might suit a different watch style. I would get unpadded personally.

For comparisons sake, this is a genuine alligator strap I got locally that I wear on a two tone Rolex Datejust. To me it looks very similar to the Vietnamese straps once you allow for the photo quality.

This strap considered plenty dressy enough for all but the absolutely most formal dress watches I think.

And on the watch.

>I would get unpadded personally.
agreed, especially since I plan to pair it with a relatively thin dress watch

Thanks for the pics and for the advice. Nice watch. What kind of occasion would you say this strap isn't suitable for, and what sort of strap would you wear to it (assuming you're wearing a watch)?

>What kind of occasion would you say this strap isn't suitable for
s/occasion/watch

read too hastily
also, pic related is my "dress" watch, got it on the cheap based on a recommendation ITT last week

oops, wrong pic, similar though
>inb4 muh shitter, i know

Gonna be going to my first analog watch soon, from a digital

Honest to god I can't even remember the last time I had to use an analog clock. All clocks I've used for the past many years have been either the clock on my phone, digital clocks on walls, task bar clocks, and the digital one on my wrist. I can read them of course but I can't imagine glancing down at my wrist and being able to determine what the time is with an analog as quickly as I can with a digital. Do you get used to it quickly?

You mean what kinds of occasions would that watch plus strap combination be suitable for?

That is a pretty formal dress watch style so I would say any time you are wearing a dress shirt and dressy leather shoes it would be appropriate, with the strap colour to match the belt and shoe colour.

If I wanted to dress down that style of watch with more casual clothing I would get some EULIT perlons straps (such as in ) as they can dress down a formal looking watch without looking silly.

>but I can't imagine glancing down at my wrist and being able to determine what the time is with an analog as quickly as I can with a digital. Do you get used to it quickly?
Once you wear one for a while it's easy to glance, yeah. It's not as thoughtless as glancing at an exact number—you might have to actually turn your brain on, which is something you might not be used to anymore in this context, but it gets easy

>That is a pretty formal dress watch style so I would say any time you are wearing a dress shirt and dressy leather shoes it would be appropriate, with the strap colour to match the belt and shoe colour.
I figured as much, just wanted some advice as I'm a newfag. Is this strap casual enough to dress it down without looking weird if I'm wearing a casual button-down and some slacks? i.4cdn.org/g/1493226432244.jpg

Diggin the perlon btw, I have a grey one in the mail

I'd say yes, but some people would say that vintage style strap clashes with dress watch aesthetics. I've had people here complain about a similar style do strap on my King Seiko (pic related).

I'm seriously thinking about getting a brown Palma to go with my DJ as I really like the pattern on it.

I got a clasp mod idea for Pelons from a forum and I'm going to pass it along once I try it.

Watches are primitive devices for tracking time, there's this thing called a smartphone.

>but some people would say that vintage style strap clashes with dress watch aesthetics
Funny enough, you keep confirming exactly what I'm thinking when I make my posts. I don't think it'll look good on my watch, although it seems perfectly suitable for yours in the pic. I suppose I'll just have to experiment.

nobody is falling for this tired bait anymore, please go away

they're really cool, tons of utility for the price, too

for some reason the look of the grey perlon with a black dial diver makes me picture cutting a hole in a glass roof and rappelling down between lasers to steal a priceless diamond or something

what would be a better strap to "dress down" a watch similar to pic related daily wear? I really like the color combo but I have a feeling that it might be more formal than I am looking for

Stop bidding on my watches please.

well I wasn't but now I am

i ordered another vostok 2426 shitter

The easiest way to get a more casual look with that type of strap is to get it with contrast stitching like pic related.

You can also get a smooth leather strap with contrast stitching and I think it would make a nice match with a watch in that style. Really, you could probably even pull off a vintage style leather strap or a perlon with that look.

A steel bracelet is always a good option for a versatile strap that can go from office to casual, but unless your watch came with one they tend to be expensive to buy afterwards for most watches.

fuck, i haven't filtered the vintage seiko tard on this computer

I would have bought it if it was Komandirskie sized

they have another batch of the 2426-powered komandirskie k-34s coming. preorder now

mfw I buy watches based on the size strap they accept because my leather and perlon strap collection is lit af

Any recommendations for a sub $300 non-diver? Looking for something that'd look good in business casual

Do you care if it's mechanical or quartz?

I'd rather it be mechanical, but I don't own anything with a quartz movement so it wouldn't be a deal breaker

Get a 70s grand seiko

If you can stretch your budget to $350 then the Seiko SARB033/035 are the obvious answer.

>le shiny 4K welfare nigger phone is better than a qt personal assistant and watch maymay
what's it like being poor?

>$15 watch boxes on amazon
these clearly have poor materials but they look fine for basic stuff, anyone have any recommendations for one with a good drawer for straps/etc?

It's fine until you get the big boy

it's true. from the moment i got my GW-5000, i have never once worn any of my f91-pattern casios, with the exception of the gold-plated one. the only purpose they serve now is if i read about some interesting mod and i want to try it on something without worrying about whether it gets destroyed.

Post pics of alpha dog square shock

Nice. I was seriously considering one of those until I found out there was a brushed stainless cased Seiko LCD quartz. I ended up hunting down one of those instead.

it's 1200 miles away right now. if this thread's still here tomorrow i'll try to remember. it's got the nato adapters on it right now.

What is this
Solar/atomic AND 80s aesthetic? I'm in

Please do, such a cool watch
I'd buy one right now but want to wait until I go to Japan again, it'll make a nice souvenir

What does this guy do for a living? He's clearly got a lot of money, but he acts like a legit autist manchild at times. Explanation?

legit sexy but too expensive and hard to find

It's a Seiko SBPG001 and its one of the only LCS quartz watches ever made to feature both a stainless steel case/bracelet and electroluminescent backlight.

Seiko made them for a few years in the early 2000s as a homage to their LCD Quartz watches in the 1980s, but they are fairly hard to find used now. I had to pay 20,000 Yen on Yahoo! Japan Auctions to get the one I have.

I've wanted a classic G-Shock for a while now so I had a true beater I didn't give a fuck about smacking on shit, compared to my mechanicals and vintage digital Seiko. My only conundrum was not settling for the ordinary.

Soon enough I discovered that certain JDM G-Shocks are marked "Fox Fire" instead of the typical "Illuminator", due to the resemblance to bioluminescent fungi and/or kitsune folklore, and I'm a bit of a weeb.

Not wanting to pay the inflated price for a brand new JDM one I stalked Ebay waiting for a used one to show up. Last week this one did.

Even more interesting this is a special edition for some snowboarder back in 2000. Originally it had a dark blue bezel and strap along with its altered face colors, but I don't care about that. For a price somewhere between an ordinary gaijin model and a brand new JDM model I can restore this one with a standard black bezel, probably a nato strap, and maybe bull bars. As it came right now though is not that bad.

That fox fire branding is lit, nice pickup user

Would a 43mm diver be too big for my 6.5" wrists. I know that divers are supposed to be somewhat bigger than non-tool watches.

What's the lug to lug, that's the important measurement.

What are the best steel case lcd watches in that sort of style? Water resistance would be nice too

49mm

Depending on how flat your wrists are, should be fine.

You'll probably be ok, that's relatively small for a diver that size. Turtle?

Oh okay. I thought that was rather large.

No it's the Citizen BN0151-09L, a shitter.

Repair went decently well.

vs (note the forced bph to get a trace)

My wrist is just barely 6.5" and the turtle fits well.

Still need to shave down the nato adapted, but I do love how easy it is to read. The buttons could be a bit easier to use.

Interested to know what are some low entry level price watches with sapphire glass?
Would this category be ruled by Citizen Eco Drives or are Chinese watches like seagull the answer?

the Seiko Spirit also has sapphire glass, and not the quality issues that seagull has.

That would be too big for me. Love the design though.

>genuine alligator strap I got locally

Where exactly? Thinking about putting a grey alligator strap on my 5740.

hydro mod for ultimate legibility

he's into watches of course he's autistic

meistersinger, christopher ward jumping hours

I want to do a hydo mod but after reading about everything you need I think ima just keep it as is.

[muffled hardbass]

>everything you need
let me make a list
>oil
wow you sure need a lot of things

Don't you need a vacume machine plus a bunch of bit to actually make it work?

Nice. I have that same Bocтoкon the way. Only thing I plan to do different is I plan to strip away all the chrome

depends what you're going for. if you want to make a 1500m waterproof g-shock, maybe.

Does this colour combo work senpai?

4big6u

It might if you weren't wearing an arm clock.

How viable is it to have the hands changed on a watch, specifically a SARB033? The second hand is nice but I don't like the white line down the h/m hands. Should I just get a different watch?

Also, any recommendations for places in Australia to send watches in for service?

Are vintage Fabre-Leuvas any good?
I could have gotten pic related for like 35€ shipped but forgot to place a bid.

I don't follow?

Watch is too large for your wrist.

What did you use to listen to the watch? I bought one of those piezo electric clips you put on your guitar but it isn't loud enough, I need some kind of preamp.

the first armani-tier watch

That doesn't make any sense, afaik Favre-Leuva is the second oldest watch manufacturer in Switzerland. Definitely not a fashion brand.
I still don't get why their vintage models are so cheap though.

I had a look on WuS and the general consensus is that these were popular in South and South East Asia back in the day and most of them on eBay are from there, or at least have been there at some point.

They are then refurbished but not to a great standard.

My guess based on knowing little about the brand:
*shit marketing (we're the second)
*not coming up with good designs but aping other companies
*possibly went the ebauce route and dialed down on quality to cut costs

Strap recommendations for this vintage Sekonda chaps? It has a period expanding bracelet on it but it's too small and digs into my wrist.

I was thinking a calfskin strap in black or brown but wondered what your thoughts are.

muh big plastic condom

Highlighter green nato.

:^)

Hey again /wt/.
Just posting a pic of my MQ-24-7BLL.
It looks and feels pretty good for a 8€ watch.

And yeah I'm the pope.