How is Naples going to do against the new Skylake Xeon processors?

How is Naples going to do against the new Skylake Xeon processors?

We know it fucking destroys Intel's HEDT processors for up to 1/3rd of the price.

Is it going to be a similar story with Naples?

Other urls found in this thread:

datacenterdynamics.com/content-tracks/open-data-center/ocp-summit-microsofts-project-olympus-will-support-amds-naples-cpus/97955.fullarticle
youtu.be/D_Yt4vSZKVk
youtube.com/watch?v=0lmEnA8pzHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If Skylake Xeons has only 44 lanes it's really no contest.
Also both core count and clockspeed are in AMD's favor.

Lets just say.. Intel has a lot of work to do.

What do you mean by 44 lanes? I don't know a great deal about server chips compared to desktop.

I've heard Intel has a 28 core, and I think there's a 32 core Xeon, but it might be a custom chip for Google only?

PCIe lanes, from all sources all I'm seeing is 44 free PCIe lanes per CPU.
Naples has 128, and around 116 after putting the basic stuff like IB/SAS/SATA/USB/IPMI on the board

It'll be much worse; way more PCI-E lanes even on a single-chip system, "free" 10GbE from the chip, more cores at higher clocks and relatively low TDP across the range, and it'll likely be much cheaper too.
AMD always intended for Ryzen to be a highly-scalable chip intended for server-level expansion and this is where it'll get to stretch its legs.

Every single technical spec is in AMD's favor:

Clocks
Perf/watt
Core count
I/O
Memory bandwidth
DIMM count

Nontechnical aspects like price and support are up in the air though, I've seen plenty of frustrated Xeon customers in the last few years as Intel has been acting more and more like Apple

This shit might be good for 4xSLI with all of those lanes.

Oh right. So does that mean much slower bandwidth to the rest of the system?

Dude Radeon Instinct lmao.

Naples will skullfuck Shitlake Xeons just like K8 Opterons killed Itanium.

That's one way of looking at it, but it generally means far less connectivity, so your ability to put in extra stuff like more SAS devices, more 10GbE+ NICs, more direct attached GPUs, more FPGAs is severely hampered by lack of lanes.

Naples has so much fucking I/O there are actually motherboards with a PCIe x32 slot, that means you can put a fucking riser card and plug in TWO FULLY CONNECTED x16 GPUs on a single riser, all pulling connectivity from the CPU.

That's impossible for a Xeon, if you're going for most compute per node, you can actually put in SEVEN fully attached GPUs in a Naples system without even looking at the chipset or PLX chip.
It's fucking insane and outside of some very specific mainframe and academic CPUs I've never seen anything like that.

If it only ended at that Xeons would somehow survive, but they also lose in DPC, bandwidth, clocks and core count on top of that.

>custom motherboards with 8 PCIE slots

Get to fucking work Supermicro

Imagine next gen AMD increases from 32 and up to 40 lanes per die, they'll gonna have to make motherboards filled with side mounted PCIe slots, possibly some going on the other side.

This market is way more interesting than the pleb shit the client market gets.

I wonder how much money will Intel spend on bribes.

40 lanes in consumer CPU sounds very good even for an average consumer.

For starters they already lost their biggest customer, Microsoft.

Both from AMD's side and ARM side.

datacenterdynamics.com/content-tracks/open-data-center/ocp-summit-microsofts-project-olympus-will-support-amds-naples-cpus/97955.fullarticle

>Intel already lost MS
Who's next?

His job.

I fucking wish.

Just google "Microsoft Olympus Naples" into google and look at the pretty motherboard pictures.

Here's the ARM ones, based on the Qualcomm one.

Too bad they really can't compete on memory amount, but at least these will do real good for fileservers.

THATS A LOTTA DIMMS!

32 FUCKING DIMMS ON 2P BOARD.

STH managed to snag a block diagram of the mobo layout.

Well if it's anything like that HEDT processors, they'll be half to one third the cost of Intel's with the same performance.

If you go bigger than SMB then price doesn't really matter all that much, but that's still a pretty large part of the market where price does matter.

4U

AMD can throw a hefty price premium on Naples just because it's better than any Xeon in existence.

What's SMB?

Small-Medium business

YOU'RE A BIG SERVER

The server scape doesn't work line the consumer mind does.

So long as it's cheaper to run/cool (Which naples is) then that's already some customers right there.
Then there are those that simply need more cores, so naples again.
Those who want more PCIe lanes. Naples.
etc. etc. etc.

The trouble Intel has, is that they rely on massive, perfect dies to produce their 12/16 core products, whereas AMD only needs 3 good quad core dies, and to staple them together with the Infinity Fabric. Basically guaranteed 12/16 core products.

There are no quad core dies. 16 core HEDT Zen is 2 full Zeppelins and 12 core is one with 2 cores disabled on each die.

The 32 core Naples will be hovering around 2.5-2.9GHz base at 180W TDP, but that's either a B1 or B0 stepping, Naples parts will be B2 so they can either go higher on clocks or lower power.

For comparison the 28 core Intel is at 2.5 base at 205W TDP
Literally no contest.

The simplest way of explaining the Zen architecture is to describe each CCX as a quad core, and simply to say they're glued together.

Which isn't wrong.

It is wrong, Zeppelin is a single fucking die.

But where are crying wojaks and gaming benches?

He tired himself out last night trying to convince us the 7740k is gonna OC to 6.0GHz because it has a disabled iGPU

Poor guy tries his hardest to shitpost and derail any AMD-related thread.

His economical status depends if he's getting paid or not.
I mean I really hope he fucking does.

Or he's just autistic.

Wouldn't everyone just use Xeon Phis with a ridiculous amount of cores if that's the case?

Like why even bother with 32 core processors if price doesn't matter?

A lot of people here are autistic but they aren't that desperate.

Xeon Phis are using duct taped Silvermont cores, they are pure shit for anything besides very specific tasks.

Because Xeon Phis are co-processors, with a limited use case.
Not many things will be better off off-loaded to a large number of hilariously weak cores.

Because PHis use silvermont cores and PHis are accelerators, much worse one than Teslas that can handle only a specific type of workload.

tl;dr you're talking about things you don't understand.

He's alone and he wants attention.

I was asking a genuine question, I don't know much about server processors.

Thanks

This should have been easily found in a search engine.. Oh well, I guess it's better than shitposting.

Fucking anything is better than THAT retard's shitposting.

Remember when Intel promised XPHIs will be PnP and all you'll have to do is modify your headers to use it?

It turns out they were full of shit and PHIs need as much work as Teslas to get working with your code but offer far worse performance and perf/watt

Lul no

Don't fall for the bait.

researching the applications of different server processors? a lot quicker to just ask a question.

>32 amd cores

You mean 8 4core ccxs?

Larashit was a gigantic failure and everyone knew that. No amount of Intel's damage control and promises would have changed that.

Not as big of a failure as poozen

Oh boy this guy is here.

Someone woke up.

Why, oh god why this retard found this thread. Its about servers pls fuck off.

I wonder what this guy thinks when he looks into the mirror.

>Day one charts
Neck yourself, jew.

>autistic assblasted samepoojet

POO POO POO POO

still posting day 1's kiddo?

Oh look he's samefagging.

>day one

Is you retarded raja? That's a benchmark from April 20th, less than a week ago.

youtu.be/D_Yt4vSZKVk

Another decent thread bites the dust. See ya dudes.

I'm out, see ya when this monkey falls asleep.

Don't forget to POO IN LOO

>Only posting RotTR and Farcry the only two games that really show a hit on performance.
>Linus Shilltips.
Discarded

How much do you get paid? Is it worth applying for a job?

Check out this Watch Dogs 2 benchmark. Intel 4 core trashes amd poozen 8 core

So pretty much every badly coded game out there? Everyone knows Farcry Primal, Watchdogs 2, Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider are really poorly coded and rely heavily on single thread.

What about GTA V?

>he's talking to himself

I think mommy is concerned

see

>testing cpu performance
>with a 970 that will bottleneck the cpus

I always knew indians were stupid lmao

>Still performs nearly as well on your cherry picked game that is heavily Intel biased.
Neck yourself

So why is Intel still beating it in some games? If that was the case they would be exactly even fps. Besides. Steam still says the 970 is the most used GPU out there.

>every test where your indian poo looses is biased

Ok poojet

>84 posts
>13 posters

rly mks u thnk

Amd hired 30 pajeets to shit up this place

You won't find more than 6 people on this board who know anything about server hardware or the market so it's expected.

OY VEY! I SMELL SHEKELS!

You think Intel is livid that out of shitload of reviewers only 3 didn't recommend Ryzen?

They're far from pleased, pulling in the launch of Skylake-X, Coffelake and KBL-X an entire quarter should tell you something.

How old is Kabylake? Wasn't it released in January? When was the last time Intel released a new generation after 5 months?

They released something that performs better than poozen before amd even had a chance to release it

>Indonesian, Chinese and Japanese

Lel

Can't you just fuck off? It's obvious that you understand fuckall about servers.

You don't understand fuckall about logic. Do you think if amd gets RAVAGED by intel in the consumer segment they will do any better in the server one?

TOTALLY WRONG

It's obvious that you're a retard if you really think that way.

Didn't your mom ever tell you not to argue with mouthbreathers?

Benchmarks speak

Unfortunately so do you.