How does Sup Forums deal with new hard drives?

How does Sup Forums deal with new hard drives?
Pic related, just ordered 3 x 8TB WD Reds for my Drobo.

1) JAM IT IN and hope for the best
2) Quick glance at SMART data
3) Option 2 + Badblocks/spinrite/chkdsk/whatever
4) Full blown week long torture test

Just make sure it works and throw it into a RAIDZ2 or whatever

Check SMART and do a surface test, that's about it.

Physical install, make sure detected by bios. Install OS or clonezilla.

Would either of you happen to know roughly how many hours it would take to run a surface scan on a 4TB external HD with USB 3.0?

Encryption itself (eg fill with preudorandom data) is a pretty good stress test. It's enough for me.

I bought 6 of these, and ran a full WD diagnostic. took literally 3 fucking days on EACH drive via USB 3.0

By full diagnostic are you referring to WD's Data Lifeguard extended test?

>via USB 3.0
Did you take advantage of WD's easystores exclusive to BBY? I thought about buying 3 for shucking purposes but Ive heard the Reds they use for them are bottom bin.

What is rpm and how many plates?

What's a good HDD for home backup/file server? I'm looking at about 10TB for a start and adding on if necessary.

Full format. Anything else is retarded. If it doesn't fail in a month of heavy use, it won't fail.

HGST Deskstar NAS is master race tier, but honestly, for a backup system, I'd go with whoever has the longest warranty, and make sure you register your drives for them. Might as well milk them for all they're worth since they're going to be on for basically 100% of the time and might be doing some pretty heavy writing depending on your backup schedule.

hahahahaha i don't even get your point OP

torture test on a hard drive? now what are you trying to accomplish with that. you are supposed to format it (not quick format) and that's it, then you let it spin for 6 months and if nothing occurs, it's going to last you for a while

Seagate

Disable head parking and you have a better drive for a cheaper price with better warranty than WD

#3, no data until it's been running for over 2 days. I wouldn't torture test, but I would dump duplicated data.

Option 3 are all torture tests.

Torture test (to me) is when you run head tests non-stop. Using software like qaplus or whatever the equivalent is now for 2 or 3 days. Part of old school burn-in if anyone still bothers.

Scanning the surface once to ensure its ok isn't a big deal. I always low-level a drive when it's new and long format.

Why arent you using SSDs?

Ha ha ha faggot. I just bought nine of these for my 8-bay 50 raid. 8 plus a spare. It'll take four weeks to rebuild the array if I have to replace one. Ha ha ha ha. Fuck me.

How much would a 8TB SSD set you back? Now buy 2 more.

presumably he uses his computer to store information rather than play games and shitpost all day

You should use RAID6. RAID50 doesn't have the same level of protection (UER 1x10^14) as RAID6.

>not using mirrored vdevs
>not just adding each pair to the needed pool
>not using zfs

I prefer it this way instead of actual raidz.

7200 RPM and 3

Those are 5400rpm @ 1.2TB per platter with 7 platters.

Why do one need zfs at home?
Drivepool or mergerfs/mhddfs/aufs is more than enough for any datahoarder.

>Would either of you happen to know roughly how many hours it would take to run a surface scan on a 4TB external HD with USB 3.0?
>4TB external
>5200rpm @ 1.2TB per platter with 7 platters

Are you gonna drop that all in at once or keep some RAID spares

I'd guestimate 6-8 hours.

I torture test it during the entire "exchange at store" period which is generally 30 days.

>Write 1's, search for 0's
>Write 0's search for 1's

"Torture" testing mechanical gear is border line retarded

Toshiba P300