It might just be the case that 8GB of RAM is what Android needs to feel super fast and fluid

>it might just be the case that 8GB of RAM is what Android needs to feel super fast and fluid.

Oh god.
How did this happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-7-display-best-ever/
macrumors.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-best-lcd-display-ever-displaymate/
displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm
theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/setting-the-date-to-1-january-1970-will-brick-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Java

>tfw samsung falls for the 8 gb of ram meme

>Android
>ever being smooth
>iOS devices now beginning to have 120Hz displays and 60fps animations
>Android still lagging in cinematic 24Hz with 8GB LPDDR4WTF RAM while iOS has like 3GB

Oh wow.

Android has special dithering to make their awful fps lagging less noticeable

Android has been on the 60fps bandwagon since M I think

120hz on a 750p device vs 1440p 60hz android.

for phones 4GB max will be fine, 8GB for PC users that do intensive shit like video editing is sufficient, 16GB+ is only really needed for servers.

>10.5" and 12.9" iPad
>720p

Explain yourself, retard.

Meanwhile android has amoled screens vs short bus apple with their LCD shit from 2005.

Autism

Unoptimized piece of shit mobile apps and mobile portable
Cheaper to buy a new phone than spend money and time optimizing shitty software when hardware is cheap

Ah, that makes the 20 fps in a browser 100% acceptable then. I love android now.

It's probably just caching all the apps in RAM, which is totally retarded.

Manufacturers need to get with the times and use a PCIe SSD like newer iOS devices instead of shitty eMMC and UFS.

We're talking about phones dumbfuck. If you want to get even more btfo in the tablet area the surface pro competitor to the iPad is 2736x1824 with watercooling.

>intel cpu
>tablet
lolno

You sound angry. Is your choppy 12 frames per second Android experience bothering you?

The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have the best mobile displays ever tested.

digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-7-display-best-ever/
macrumors.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-best-lcd-display-ever-displaymate/

Android phones trick dumb teenagers like you by cranking up the contrast and gamma and you think they're vibrant, lol. You're gullible and have the display knowledge of someone's grandma.

hz on a 750p device vs 1440p 60hz android.
>makes reference to iPhone 7's resolution but cites the iPad's refresh rate

>retard then can't remember what he said initially

You're confused aren't you?

And this is useful to an average iphone poojeet how?

Literally what recent big named Android phone have you seen that has those issues? Legitimately curious.

>blogshit
here's some actual data dumb-dumb
displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm

When your operating system runs literal toasters, literally, to hugh low power high performance ARM chips, it might be time rethink a new OS.

>why does anyone need near perfect colour accurate displays anyway??
>r-right guys?

Sour grapes Android 2.3 Rakesh detected.

Oh, you're just shitposting. I thought we could have a discussion about Android displays with your 0 facts but you just want to be a retard. Carry on.

Reply here if you're not a little bitch. You're trolling with low hanging fruit so it's rhetorical.

RAM won't fix the shitty single core performance, ghetto tier storage or the messed up architecture. With better hardware Android could run SMOOTHER but it's too broken to ever be truly fluid. Hence Google is working on Fuchsia.

Nothing wrong with scalability. Desktops UI managed it just fine for decades.

This isn't scalability. This is dysfunctional application. It's why the play store sucks, it's why you need beastly powerful mobile computers to power through the bloat.

right who wants a tablet that can actually do things
gimme that arm chip running a toyos

The pixels are buttery smooth though. Android is smooth when untainted by touchjizz.

>best lcd display
>lcd

>8GB for PC users that do intensive shit like video editing
>8 GB for video editing

Please never touch a PC again

That was project butter which was Android ICS

Pajeet-tier programming.

iOS is programmed by people who know what they're doing.

Calm down pajeet, don't you have a crappy rom to finish?

The majority of the content was edited with much less RAM.

unused ram is wasted ram

Hahahahhaahaahahahhahahshshshshshshshshhahahahaha
Good one.

>put in tons of ram
>dont keep anything in memory
??

Well user by that logic you don't need more than a Pentium 4 and 1GB of RAM to edit videos, who said anything about doing it fast amirite? :^)

It's one thing to have RAM used for cache or whatever. It's another to hog it with useless bloat that takes resources away from actual applications.
I still remember when Win2k ran on less than 128MB of RAM. Things should remain that way.

>Linux now uses more RAM than Windows 10
kek

so this is why ram prices are fucking soaring

Surface pro's have been categorized as tablets, thus allowing their use while airplane is taxiing on ground and some other phases. I liked this as I travelled quite a bit and could always keep my surface in the back of front seat, instead of packing the thing away for takeoffs and landings

Sure, just depending on what exactly you fucking do, 8GB is relatively respectable. At least for most private workloads. Besides, even many pros only have 16GB.

>iOS is programmed by people who know what they're doing.
lol
theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/setting-the-date-to-1-january-1970-will-brick-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch

8 GB is almost at the point of 'minimum requirements'

16gb is needed for a normal PC user usage will usually max out at 12, but what're are you going to do, use 3 4GB cards?

although android uses a linux kernel. I wouldnt put it in the "linux" category just like chromebooks use a gentoo yet are pretty different

>unused ram is wasted ram lole just fill my ram up senpai XDDD
>fuck why is switching apps so slow
>fuck why do my apps keep crashing
>better buy NewPhone®
Retard

he's right though. mobile devices have dogshit slow storage. keeping shit in ram lets you avoid reading from dogshit slow storage over and over again which not only saves your time but conserves battery life

and of course devs are lazy brownies

I read this a while ago in a similar thread don't know if it's true but it does make sense

Since ram consumes the same whether its full or not android caches apps into ram so that when you open them you don't waste your battery by doing unnecessary cpu work.

How does it feel to be retarded?

I understand your point about slow storage. However, I personally would rather have somewhat slower load times and fast response in apps than I would apps running constantly in the background, hogging system resources.
Having the RAM filled to near max capacity, however, results in an overall less stable system.

It's a lesser of two evils situation.
You can hibernate it using something like Greenify and have it fully reload every time you open it after putting your phone to sleep, or leave it memory and have slowly sodomize your battery by waking your phone up constantly with partial wakelocks.
This of course doesn't apply for apps that aren't using wakelocks to do background processing but that's almost never the case because pretty much everything from the play store uses firebase and/or google analytics which occasionally wake the device up.

That's actually a quote from Elon Musk, and replace Microsoft with Tesla. This is a troll image.

Used to be that I could run a full desktop operating system on a laptop with only 1GB of RAM. Heck, even on a desktop I could get away with it. How is it that we have regressed so far as to have 8 gigs of RAM on a fucking mobile phone, and still be unable to run stuff like Facebook smoothly? When will this ridiculous shit get fixed? I hate the tech industry and what it has become.

You're dumb. You can run out any amount of ram editing video, that why you need fast storage, a striped raid array or ssds, ram really doesn't matter cos uncompressed you'll use 16gb in about 15-20 seconds of playback. Anything significant needs fast cached storage. 2gb is fine for an edit station that's setup properly.

>8gblet
My phone has 16GB. I can have 12 chrome tab opened.

I was browsing shit, listening to music, talking to friends, playing stupid emulator games and old ass games and torrenting shit on a pentium 3 with a voodoo 3 3000 and 192mb of RAM with Windows 98SE. Good days.

Google's secretive push for Fuschia suddenly tart to make sense when you think about the clusterfuck that is current mobile phone platforms. It's going to be a real tough road up ahead.

The web has become a prime example of what's wrong.
Nobody can write a good webpage without needing a shitload of JS crap and at least 3 different web development frameworks, resulting in a 10MB document to draw a fucking button.

Dunno, ask iOS devs

>He doesn't like 75mb web pages

What are you? From >1999?

What the hell are the people in /wdg/ doing? I want to doubt your claim just for the sake of it, because somehow I know that more apps are being created instead of websites, but I know very well that what you're saying is really, actually true. Forums died for social media which are basically walled gardens with nothing but regurgitated content from outside. Is there a fix to all of this that isn't just giving up and becoming a conservative and earning the sweat of your brow through some form of manual labor or something? It's so depressing and troubling at the same time.

Enjoy your dongles, faggot.

>visit a text only site like HN
>site loads instantly
>click on literally any article linked from HN
>site takes 2 minutes to load
this is why I only read the comments when I'm browsing on mobile

shitty devs
in 5 years Android phones will need 32gb of ram to be stable
while iphones are smooth with 2 gigs

Wow, I never even thought about that. But I do the same whenever I'm browsing from mobile, even on my desktop usually. It's bacause websites have become absolute cancer in the past 5 years.

I think it's probably been longer than that, but it becomes more apparent when you're using a slower connection.

You want a web app that works and renders on any device you ain't going to code it in plain text

Jellybean* user

If you have RAM available, the OS will try to use it to cache applications, libraries, etc... Basically loading shit from disk every time is slow. So imagine you open up some note taking application and it takes a second to load. Now you close that off, kill the process, whatever. You need it again later, and it opens in a couple of milliseconds. Why so fast? Because you had RAM to spare and Linux knew you weren't needing it for now.

I've got only 3 GB of RAM in my Oneplus One, and I've never really found myself starved for memory in any of my applications. But strictly speaking, you never need less RAM. There is zero benefit to having less here.

Android applications as of Lollipop do not run in the Java Virtual Machine. The bytecode is compiled into a native executable when you install it.

Don't join the cargo cult, the best thing you can do as a web app developer is ignore the JS community 99% of the time instead of actively participating in it. Too many inexperienced hipster shitheads and cargo cults for them to latch on to

>Android applications as of Lollipop do not run in the Java Virtual Machine. The bytecode is compiled into a native executable when you install it.
JIT has been around since 2.x, you could choose the environment easily in builds like cyanogenmod. Lollipop only removed dalvik completely.

T H I S
H
I
S

XSS Malware is being sold to us as "advertising"

Fuck this, if Apple's going 120Hz with the next iPhone I think it's time to leave Android.

I am fine with 4GB ram on my linux laptop lul, i dont think it goes over 1.7GB.

The JIT was part of Dalvik, you cretin. Android now uses dex2oat, a literal fucking ahead-of-time Dalvik-bytecode-to-machine-code compiler.

b-but muh react!

>visit HN
>get cancer
fixed

I agree, but at least it's quick.

This is the new NVIDIA phone?

>needs
has nothing to do with speed.

>Android applications as of Lollipop do not run in the Java Virtual Machine. The bytecode is compiled into a native executable when you install it.
Just because it's compiled to static machine code doesn't mean it's not Java. In particular, it doesn't remove the need for a GC. Automatic memory management is by far the primary reason for programs needing tons of memory.

Google services. They're the only thing making Android phones lag and eat all their RAM. I can barely average 1GB usage on my Nexus 5 running Lineage OS 7.1.2.

wow user you know a lot.
- user's mom

The only thing that can destroy Android is Google.
Ditching Google Apps is probably the best thing you can do to improve performance and battery life.
And if you really need play services for some reason, there's microg. It's not perfect but it shuts up most of the apps that demand gms.

Enjoy your burn-in.

>only 1GB of RAM.
Kids today. In my day, we used to run full desktop operating systems on laptops with 4 MB of RAM.

>leaving your phone on full brightness for hours and hours
What kind of retard does this?

My OLED screen has burn-in from the alarm clock.

Was this you?

Maybe you should get out of bed and shut it off then, you lazy fuck.

Wow that argument is solid. There's no way I'm going to be able to penetrate that one

Normies

>using a garbage collected lang in a limited-RAM environment (basically an embedded system)
What could go wrong?

It doesn't need that much RAM. This is basically futureproofing. The OS is desktop PC tier, you can't expect it to handle itself on less than 2GB.

lol, imagine getting mad because you don't like a superior product, this is making me laugh

This is why Google keeps mentioning that Neo Android OS they want to release that doesn't use Java and doesn't suck, but of course it would only be compatible with one phone they sell. Google is fucking retarded basically.

3GB is enough. OP3 couldn't utilize even 6GB without tweaks, leaving 1.5 permanently free, and it was just as fast.

AMOLED is a meme anyway, when OLED comes out no one will remember AMOLED because it's so inferior