/rg/ - Routers General (?)

Lads, I'm in the market for a new router. Been using this 10 year old, unsupported by Tomato/DDWRT/Open, slugging Belkin router. It can't keep up anymore.

Any recommendations for a router for
>1 gaaaaaaaaayyymmmurrrrrrrrr (PC & PS4)
>10 devices connected at once (mostly phones for streaming)

There's so many out there. Looking for Sup Forums's help, thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704177
routerboard.com/
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router-WNDR4300/dp/B008HO9DK4
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8ROH7G?
wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have similar setup. 12 y-old wrt54gs running tomato. Have to upgrade since with qos it'll max out on 12/2 line.

Some guy is selling locally used Mikrotik HAP Lite routers for 8€ so I'll try my luck with that.

R7000 if looking for an all in one solution
Ubiquity EdgeRouter + Ubiquity UAP AC AP if looking for separates

use an old pc and install pfsense or opnsense on it

Nice. Good price on Amazon too. But

>Netgear

Are they a good brand name? I'm seeing near 15,000 reviews, 4 stars, but the 1-star reviews are negative.

Yes. Its probably one of your best choices if youre looking for AIO solution and its currently one of the best supported boards by DD-WRT and alikes. Been running one personally for over 2 years now, it serves 26 devices in my case with 0 issues. tbqh I'd go as far as saying its WRT54GS second comming.

what sort of internet seeds do you have?

Anything under 300mbps should be fine, past that however you want to start looking at reviews to make sure it can handle the WAN/LAN throughput.

It's especially a problem for those of us on 1gbps.

I pay for a max speed of 100Mbps. I rarely reach that. At most, I'd say I'm always around 25-50.

The issue is this router is old now. The wi-fi drops once a day, cannot handle all devices, loses connection, authentication issues arise. I think it's technology is now too outdated. The shittiest part is being on my PC (wired) but once I want to browse on phone or play a game or watch a video, it'll say it's on the WiFi network, but it just won't play or do anything. It's nothing severe, but it just shows how old this router is. Once every other week I'll have to completely reset/refresh router, too.

Thanks user. Definitely my #1 choice at the moment, then.

>I pay for a max speed of 100Mbps

Yeah pretty much whatever router you get will be fine, the more money you pay, the more future proofed it will be and likely the better signal strength at a distance.

If you have a large house, two $100 routers at opposite ends of the house will be significantly better than a single centrally located $300 router.

I'll be moving into a college dorm with gigabit internet soon. What router would you guys recommend for that? I have an old WRT54G down in storage somewhere but it's showing its age and it won't keep up.

>I'll be moving into a college dorm with gigabit internet soon.

Not sure about your school, but mine did not allow me to use a router. Their speeds were mindblowing, though.

You likely wont need a router, you'll be connecting through their network which is doing NAT and such for you.

You'll probably just want an ethernet switch and then maybe a wireless access point if you want some wifi, though if you know what you're doing a wired PC with a wifi card can be set up to act as a wireless access point itself.

Windows 10 even has a feature built in to make it essentially one click.

A router is technically not allowed, but is it really that big of a deal?

You're right, I'd want an access point, not a router. I know I can tether from my PC, but I'd rather leave that job to the AP.

My roommate is tech illiterate and would probably rather not bother with wired internet. So what access points would you guys recommend then? Or should I just go ahead and buy a full router so I don't have to worry about buying one when I move off-campus?

>A router is technically not allowed, but is it really that big of a deal?

I got shit for it from one of the resident advisers.

Ubiquiti AC lite would probably be fine unless you actually want to get 500mbps+ from your wifi in which case you can look at the Ubiquiti AC HD.

Is there a reason why routers start dropping connections and getting laggy as they get older?

Is it just parts starting to fail, or is my tin foil conspiracy right and they are designed with a built in timer that slowly tweaks everything to function worse and worse the longer its operating?

mix of failing hardware and your devices getting newer and expecting the newer signal standards

Normies pollute 2.4GHz band. Switch to 5GHz

What does Sup Forums think of this router?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704177

Looks pretty good for the price, or is there some catch I'm missing?

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704177

Was on your same boat. My friend said he had a C9 that's done him well for all his smart shit at home, but I took a look at the C7 too. Noticed it was sub-$100 which is good. Good reviews too. However, I once owned a TP-Link product and it was garbage.

Also at Amazon, the C7 is $10 cheaper with 1-day shipping if you have Prime.

Oh and btw, I ordered the Nighthawk R7000. As I said, I just needed an update, and t his one fit the bill and looks promising, esp. with DD-WRT. Thanks anons for your help as always.

>want to use 5ghz, but router says I have to be within like 10ft of router for it to work well

>might as well just use a fucking cable if Im that close anyway

You can use 5ghz through walls, it just will get much slower. From 2 floors away from my router on 5ghz I get 100mbps. Right next to my router in the same room i get 300-350+mbps.

my nigga

Think this is mostly a meme.

Live in highly populated euro city, can't get much more dense than that, can always see 20-30 APs from my laptop yet 2.4ghz works almost full speed no matter what.

I'm curious if real study on that matter was ever done.

What's a good small router that supports OpenWRT? Planning to use a few to implement a test meshnet.

the classic blue box wrt54

Any recommendations for a router with long range wireless?

ping

RB2011UiAS-RM + hAP ac lite = 0 complains here, it just works once its configured

That only proves youre a normie. Ping if you think its a meme

see
>If you have a large house, two $100 routers at opposite ends of the house will be significantly better than a single centrally located $300 router.

What about these towards the bottom?

the content filters?

Wondering if others had better luck with them, manager had to take them offline because they were blocking too much shit

i have great luck with them. there are different levels of filtering you know

I know but my supervisor doesn't know how to really configure it and I ain't allowed to touch

well then he's a fucking idiot

Been using a pair of Ubiquiti AP AC Lites on a bigger property since they became available. I was really pleasantly surprised to see how stable they are.

I bought a Netgear R7000 so that I could use the package management features available to dd-wrt. Last router didn't have that capability.

is it really better to build a router vs using a n66u or something?

pfsense that good?

I currently pay for 300Mbps, I get it only if I use hardware acceleration, so no quality of service enabled...using a n66u.

If I build a PC thats a dedicated router with a newish x86 CPU, can I run QoS and still get 300Mbps?

>can always see 20-30 APs

Try again with ~110 and several of them on overlap bands because they thought it would make their own connection better.

I can't get off 2.4GHz soon enough.

routerboard.com/

Customize it; chose the mainboard, modules, and case that you want. They're cheap and capable.

I have couple of questions about routers.

Is there such thing as a router that doesn't have wifi?

What's the cheapest router out there? That supports open source

Why would I need any other modem than the one my ISP supplies me with? I didn't even know you could do this.

Fuck all this, buy a wr841n and flash openwrt.
They're just so fucking cheap for what you get. You can do wireless repeating with nat on the radio. Which is why I have like 4

Just run channel 14 you fucking pussy.

How would i switch routers if my isp gave me one?
I have been wondering about this for a long time

Is it that hard just to ask them?
>(call the ISP number)
>Hello, ISP company here, how may we help?
>Hello, my name is user from buttfuck, homo street 69. I am not really satisfied with my current router provided by you, and wanted to ask if you have any upgrade options, or can I connect my own as an alternative.
>Certainly, we will be glad to send a team to check things out and advise/ yes you can get a third party router if you like / kys, you're staying as you are.
>Thank you. Have a nice day.

Do you actually have to call them up if you want to change your router?

what's important to think about when buying a router? gonna be used for basicly everything like streaming, dling, games..
i have no idea what's good or bad.

sup

are wifi extenders any good? i can't move my router closer to my room and it's too far to run a cable across the entire house. i watch a lot of twitch and play shooter games online. or should i buy a better router? i now have zte zxdsl 931vii, which is a decent router but doesn't have a good range. there are 6 phones and two laptops in my household. in my room i have about 1 or 2 bars (windows 8.1) of wifi connection. recommend me budget solutions as i don't have a lot of money

What are some good routers with free firmware / software for general usage? I don't have some fancy setup, I just have 2 pcs connected to my network and thats it. Theoretically I also have a landline from my isp but I don't use it so whatever.

I have the AP AC PRO and its fantastic, thinking about getting another just to get a little bit more coverage at my home

No, get broadband login credentials from your current router, note down its MAC as well. Plugin in new router, type login credentials in and set its WAN MAC to be the same as old router and presto your in.

>have numerous issues with numerous routers
>ISP offers to send me a free router
>give it a shot in desperation
>works amazingly and fixes all my issues

What's the catch?

Where the fuck do you live that its that difficult? Here we got a 8-port HP switch with SFP fiber module or something which connects to a wall, and you connect your own router to the switch, and you get IP and everything through DHCP just like that, no additional bullshit.
These days though the guys who run the fiber network hand out some crappy routers with WLAN too since I guess most people are retarded and they want to make it easier to them that they just plug their machines to the box and use WLAN, instead of them having to buy their own router and setting it up. My house got it that early though that they still handed out these pic related switches and you had to get your own router which I prefer

Netgear is the only brand you should consider.

i got the 10-port poe version of that for 15 euro from the DoJ, good shit.

It's boggles the mind what the government throws into the dumpster.

I use mikrotiks at work and they're very nice. You can do a lot with them, at least the high end ones.

Renting a router becomes not cost efficient after slightly over a year. Look at your Internet bill to see how much the rental on that router is and do the math.

i've been using these for years now with no problem ever.

It had easy cloud storage set up
Router:
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-Router-WNDR4300/dp/B008HO9DK4
Extender:
amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8ROH7G?

i at one time switched to a better tp link router but it gave me alot of problems. Bought the netgear used god knows how long ago now.

you clearly haven't dealt with any actual isp
>Are all the lights on on your router sir
>Can you try going to the back of the box and pressing the button labelled reset
>Can you give me your customer ID and customer number
>I am sorry I do not understand you, can you plug your router back into all of the cables please
>Thankyou miss
>What lights are on your router please

It was 100% free, I made sure.

got a bunch of WR841 running in the family, all with OpenWRT, one offering free Wifi to my neighbours

Is it true or is this another Sup Forums meme?

Can someone suggest a good modem for VDSL/fibre that's decently priced? I need something worth getting when it gets installed here. Wireless signal not a huge deal as use cable anyway (or is it betterto get a wireless PCI and run it via wifi?)

what sort of WAN speeds are you looking to have?

Anything under 300/300mbps you'll be fine with most consumer routers, once you go past 500/500mbps WAN throughput you'll want to start looking at specific routers which have proven to have good WAN/LAN throughput.

I doubt I'll reach 300+ considering it's Australian net (fibre to the node) so I'll still be bottlenecked with the copper to the house.

Are there any disadvantages of virtualizing your routing on a high uptime device with multiple NICs?

Yes
Wrt54g

No, cuts your bandwidth in half. Use power line adapter to create an AP. Make sure you use the same ssid/password.

Asus and Linksys make solid routers, especially if you want open sauce firmware.

tp-links are the cheapest, are good quality, very stable, and AFAIK, most of them are supported by openwrt.

wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader
$9 on gearbest.com
there are some other normal, cheap routers for $12, but I can't remember their brand names...
there is also the tp-link mr3020

btw, always make sure the router you'll buy is supported by your embedded distro...

Just unplug the router, plug the new one into your modem, and setup a new WiFi network using the instructions of your new one.

It would only be trickier if the router they gave you was a router+modem combo. If that's the case you might be able to disable that router and just use it purely as a modem, or buy a new modem entirely.

How do you feel about Google WiFi?

The Netgear router at my parent's home has been dropping connection consistently. Since they're never gonna care about the extra features a router could provide I'm thinking something that's supposed to plug in and just werk might be worth it.

>Google WiFi

Does it even have to be said?

wait a sec, my isp has monopoly where I'm from gives me a shitty modem+router combo that I have no control over and they can't change it on request. I was resigning myself to my situation already. This post makes me hopeful, can I just buy a modem and replace it myself, has anyone here done that.

Is there any way to identify individual ethernet cables? Do they have inidivdual device ID's or anything?

/rg/ - where idiots who need to call geeksquad try to look smart

Yes of course you can

No you idiot

Anything to look for, what should I check for incompatibilities?

I got a Fujitsu thin client (pic related) for €20, it has a built-in GbE NIC, plus internal PCI + PCI-E slot.
added a PCI-E dual GbE NIC (~€15) and PCI wireless NIC (~€10).

total of ~€50 for a nice pfSense router which handles my 100/100 FTTH connection
without breaking a sweat.

if you can afford it/want to expend 160 usd on a router go for the r7800.
- Mad signal. If you,put it on a reasonable spot you can cover around 120 meters or more.
- Good cpus that can handle openvpn (configured in the router) and provide speeds at around 60mbps.
- You can install ddwrt, just make sure you install the latest radio firmwares. If you check the ddwrt forum, everythings there.
- You wont need to upgrade for a very very long time.
Good luck user.

tp link 841nd supports ddwrt (and gargoyle iirc)

I dont have it but I read reviews that is pretty bad. The range is bad, the dont provide details about their security updates.. Try to get something else.

you can identify the NIC's, but no not the cable itself.

Peplink surf soho is good. Kinda expensive but the firmware gets updated pretty frequently, can press reset and just go back to where you messed up instead of starting from scratch (Love that feature), their forum is pretty active, everyone shares tips and knowledge, range is good.
Cna use wifi as wan, easy to configure.
Cons: cant setup openvpn.

Different network architectures requires different protocols and if configuring basic VDSL sounds complicated then I don't know what else to say to you. You probably live in an apartment with networking pre installed an in that case entire network stack sits in your building's utility room and you probably just never given thought to it.

My ISP uses VDSL2 and I can't find a good router that supports that stuff, so I'm thinking, maybe I can just put a regular router between my LAN and the ISP router.

I just want something that won't get randomly exploited by bots looking for vulnerable software. I want to protect my LAN.

Ah, thanks man. I bought the R7000 though, taking another user's suggestion. It was $40 cheaper on Amazon ($147) then the R7800 ($189).

You want a VDSL2 modem. And then a normal router.

I looked for that too but had even less luck than all-in-one routers. I found a high-end TP-Link one but they don't ship to my country, only to Europe or something

what country, looks like one of the best VDSL2 modem/router combo is the Actiontec T3200 and T3200M

Do ethernet cables have any form of device ID or anything that can be used to identify them?

no

So there is no way to identify which traffic was routed through which cable? It leaves no form of indentifiable imprint?

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic, this is just something that would be handy for my small media server.

Of course not, it's a fucking cable, there is no active hardware at any point in it.

It's literally just copper wires attached in the correct manner. Nothing more.

Again, it's my ignorance on the topic. Thanks friend.