/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231941
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wX3Nhq
youtu.be/nsDjx-tW_WQ
tyan.com/manuals/S3992-E_UG_v1.0.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&cm_re=Z97-_-13-157-501-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABVR5VM5561
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Z97&N=-1&isNodeId=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

given two or more memory kits at the same advertised frequency, latency and price, is the choice pretty much brand loyalty at this point?
i've ordered the msi x370 carbon for my build and now i'm after some memories to put in there and basically i've found these three at the same price point:
>corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
>corsair CMK16GX4M2D3200C16
>g.skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
when i look up the mobo's supported memory, no kit from the ones mentioned above appears exactly on the list
for crucial, the supported ones are CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R and CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W, the only difference being the W or R at the end, while the kit i've found in a store has nothing more after the "3200C16" part. could someone explain what the last character means for crucial memory?
then there's also the D or B part after the "X4M2" part, basically on crucial's website the one with D has msrp of 1000$, while the B one is only 170$, but in the store they are actually almost the same price, so what is the difference between these two?
and about g.skill, the kit listed on msi's site is F4-3200C16D-16GVRB, so once again a single character difference, ie. GVRB on msi's site vs. GVKB in store

would you recommend getting one of these? i wonder if i'll be able to hit 3200 mhz easily with one of these because the other similarly-named kits are listed as supported at 3200 or is it a lottery because these single letters in the name actually mean major changes between kits?
t. poorfag looking to save some bucks on the memory but still get proper 3200 mhz speeds

I got a new computer today. The computer is running but no video plays the screen says no signal and when I unplug the video cable it said "no cable connected" so it detects something at lease. Vie tried both vga and dmi both same result. The cables still work because they work on the old computer. And in checking in the case to see if anything is unplugged and everything is firm. What could I be missing? Is there any commonly missed plug in or commonly missed step? The manual said no assembly just plug and play.

Pic related is the inside

>Ether is hovering around $220
WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT CRASH THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

Did you connect your monitor un th Mono?
Have you tried reseating the card?

so idk about x4m2 part so hopefully someone can answer you. but concerning corsair the last letters for corsair memory indicate heatspreader color. so R is red. W is white. make sure when checking qvl not to enter r or w or b when utilizing control f

Installing Afterburner however I noticed that sometimes if I have 2 tabs of youtube videos, one runs fine with no problems and one stutters hard or even has the loading thing once I press play again, I am using 1080p

thank you
so it is solely the color and the internals are all the same, or could there be cross-color differences?

concerning corsair yes. its just color. i paid $10 extra i think on red heat spreaders and could have saved $10 if i had just gotten the regular black ones.

anyone know how or where i can get a 1050 for less than $100?

>g.skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
so i just looked up g.skill also gvkb also indicates heat spreader color.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231941

so here is that model of ram. as you click through the colors gv changes on every color.

if a board's qvl lists some ryzen cpu as supported with some bios version and above, does that mean that if the board ships to me with a lower bios version i won't be able to do anything about that without a supported cpu at hand?
or it could still boot to the bios at least so i can update it from using some usb stick?

oh well
i guess my google skills suck
anyways i think i'll go with the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 because the gskill ones are much taller and i'd be worried if the stock wraith cooler plays nice with these
so always better to get the shorter memories i guess

>no i5s unless discounted
>7700k - Only for 144hz
Hmmm, I wonder who wrote this...

Someone who ISN'T shilling for intel unlike yourself.

>new builder comes along
>"Gee Intel is garbage, AMD FTW!"
>literally paying for Sandy Bridge: Moar Cores Edition
4 cores is all need for gayming. The 7600k isn't going to be obsolete for a long time.

Can I use 2 x 4 GB 1333 MHz and 2 x 8 GB 1600 MHz sticks on a 1600 MHz DDR3 supporting mobo?
Will it work? Will the 1600 be downclocked to 1333 as well?

It's not obsolete, just bad value for money since R5s came out.

>everyone is playing shitty mobas or unoptimized crap

Etherium is a joke.

Smart contracts is an even bigger joke. It will never EVER take off. Only dumb kikes trying to sell you a new currency schema are interested in pushing this smart contracts nonsense.

of course it will work. Both will run at 1333MHz. Un less you OC the 1333MHz DIMMs manually, which might be possible without completly horrible timings/through the roof voltage if you're not completly unlucky

>bad value
>Sandy Bridge IPC is acceptable in current year because MOAR COREZ
Name one AAA game that can't run fine on an i5.

I do

>>Sandy Bridge IPC is acceptable in current year because MOAR COREZ
Good thing Zen offers Skylake IPC instead, shill.

>moving the goalpost
no one stated that it can't run gayme X. Just that it provides worse value. Buyers remorse kicking in or shilling?

Rate my mini-ITX Ryzen Linux workstation:
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wX3Nhq

novideoout/10

But are you willing to pay $350+ for an i5 for a computer you'll be using for 3+ years when you can buy a $130 cheaper R5 1600 which will be more future proof, as even the new i5 8400 will be 8 threads and all game devs will be optimizing for moar coarz.

>be me
>be april 2017
>start wanting to build pc
>its my first build
>1070 was just right
>3 months later its still $500
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
what do lads i have an all new r7 build with a 9800 gt from 2008

most game devs are already optimizing for moar coarz because the consoles are basically desktop PCs with 8 really shitty, slow cores. And since they make more dough on consoles than on PC they have every reason to develope cross platform titles

Kill a miner today.

tfw have everything new except GPU which is a radeon 6450 from my old pc

wait for the mining boom do die down. Optionally for voltaire/vega/navi, i hate upgrading in the middle of a generation, makes me feel like i get less for my money

Biostar isn't known for holding together. Unless you're going ultra cheap with them, get someone else. Also yeah, I hope you know how to run that thing blind.

What's you GPU?

That's exactly my point. Cheaper and more future proof. Why'd you want an i5 now?
If you bought it before Ryzen I'll forgive you. If you plan buying it now, shame on you.

>Linux work station
>GPU

i was trying to reinforce your point

Well he should at least occasionally see what he's doing on his Linux workstation, no?

>no integrated GPU
>PC for blind people

voice control has come a long way. Don't buy into the screen jew, it just distracts

Thanks, value-for-the-money brother. Not all of us shits money.

lol just download the intel integrated graphics card dumbasses

Keep telling yourself that.

Oh, so you're just pretending to be retarded. Good job?

>literally 2 fps difference
>graph is a .5 measurements to make it look as if it is a big difference
Nice try

The trolls are thick in this thread.

I haven't heard of 142hz monitors senpai

>falling for the 144hz meme
xD

Stop false flagging you dumb amdshill

>2 entire frps

Best ATX case with a handle? I'm currently considering a Corsair Vengeance C70 but i'd like something smaller.

>Being so bad at gaming you can't tell the differences

BTFO

youtu.be/nsDjx-tW_WQ
When you remove the GPU bottleneck, you begin to see just how terrible the core performance of Ryzen really is. 130fps less in Snipe Elite, for example. Zen is Bulldozer 2.0 even to the point where AMD fanboys will ignore tests that remove the bottleneck until suddenly they realize their brand new CPU can't keep up a year later, just like what happened with Bulldozer.

>muh gayming
fuck off retard

No GPU. What's the cheapest GPU possible?
I will only use text mode and then after installing Debian, use it by SSHing into it.

Halp. I want to build a computer out of old server parts because I'm cheap. Are 6 core opterons any good? I'm planning on paring 2 six core AMD opterons with this: tyan.com/manuals/S3992-E_UG_v1.0.pdf as well as 32 GB of DDR2 ECC memory and some kind of nvidia graphics card (probally 950 ti). Would this be a good setup or a bottleneck?

i7 literally stuttering in the first game

>I will only use text mode and then after installing Debian, use it by SSHing into it.
Just make an installation script with Puppet?

old 10$ AMD radeon.

tfw r5 1600 and satisfied with my purchase

why are intelfags such cucks?

The Wraith wont be anywhere near your ram.

GTA 5 actually is bugged up and starts stuttering if you have higher than 165 fps, google it

wewladicus

should I go with Intel instead?
I don't want to buy a graphic card if I'm never going to use it, sounds retarded
headless installation sounds too complicated for my stupid head

>should I go with Intel instead?
do you stream?
youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ

anyone?

he's building a workstation he'll be using via remote access, what the heck do you think, retard?

How good is the msi geforce gtx 1080 gaming x? It's cheaper than most 1080s in my country (589,95€).

>No GPU. What's the cheapest GPU possible?
You can get something like an 8800GT for basically nothing nowadays

>headless installation sounds too complicated for my stupid head
It's not all THAT complicated and you can find fairly good tutorials.

Also, having a spare GPU around for troubleshooting probably isn't a bad idea.

This would be my solution. Just come up with a cheap ass card that can give you a display for like $10.

Do you read the beginning of conversation?

House computer for my parents, Video and movie watching, browsing, no real productivity or gaming.

i3-7100 -vp9, HEVC, 20 english dollars more than g4560, better iGPU and decent clocks.
ASUS ROG Strix B250I - wifi, nice sound chip, displayport from the board
HyperX FURY 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz - dual channel is probably better for the iGPU
Corsair CX450M - Wendell said they aren't shit anymore
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - not ponying up for an M.2

Case will be whatever mITX they like

Thinking of 27" 1440p60 IPS for the screen.

Anyone have advice, especially about the monitor or motherboard?

building this nigger pc to burn my house down :')

Anyone know cheap desktop microphone I could get for playing games instead of having to buy a headset?

I don't want to have to do modmic.

>AGP X8
My nigger

I like to use Logitech webcams for that. Like $30-40 and the sound quality is fantastic. Better than most other mics, plus you get a decent cam.

Any pricing for the rx vegas yet?

Mays no show and jackshit being showed off in a censored state is making me nervous.

>that filename

the card in there is a 7600gs
the only reason im "building" this is that i need those ide slots for few things very soon and none of my machines have IDE, and other mobos I got lying around are DDR2 and I don't have any spare DDR2 sticks for now, so this mobo with Pentium 4 and DDR memory will do for the job. Can't recall what model it was and what frequency, hope it still works, will post more pics soon when it's done. Won't be permanent, and I don't have suitable PSUs with all the connections I need except one in another machine but I am too lazy to pull all the cables out and the PSU out

No, you have to wait tm for siggraph or whatever

its done, time to burn the house down with a pentium4

record it!

it booted up

and it runs hot

I mean its 47C, not that high.

well usually i work with core 2 hardware its kinda hot compared to them but its not bad, its a stock cooler after all and a pentium 4

I accidentaly broke one blade of a case fan should I just let it run with one missing blade? It isn't making any strange noises.

how do you accidentally do that

I took of the front panel while the pc was turned on and a part of the front panel that was sticking out hit one fan which in turn broke immediately.

motherboard question.
i need a z97 chipset mobo that can hold a gtx1060 and also has a m.2 slot in it.
perferably either just black or black and white... i dont want flashy shite inside the thing...

After checking newegg, this wouldd be your best bet at this point.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&cm_re=Z97-_-13-157-501-_-Product

thanks for the recomendation shame its red... is there no white and black ines you would recomend ? or just black ones... whats up with all this gaymer shite all over the place...

You have an older CPU so motherboards for it are no longer produced, that was the cheapest non-refurbished one I saw.

There's also this refurbished MSI black/white board:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABVR5VM5561

Here's the page to look yourself:
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Z97&N=-1&isNodeId=1

anyone here got the x370 carbon from msi? i've ordered one to pair it with the ryzen 5 1600 but now i've started worrying whether it ships with recent enough bios to be able to boot with the cpu
if it doesn't then i'm fucked as i don't have any other am4 cpu nor the funds to buy the r7 1700 cpu
first time building a pc and fucking up this bad, i'm gonna kys myself

well im building it now so im getting an intel 17 4790
goddamn im gonna have to update my list then...