/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
The Essential Phone has been delayed by a "few weeks" as the company waits for the phone to pass certification/testing
twitter.com/ow/status/888414700563816448

Samsung: Find out what it means to do bigger things on 08.23.2017
twitter.com/SamsungMobile/status/888142279122321409

Notifications are highly reliable, except when device manufacturers interfere (Xiaomi)
onesignal.com/blog/manufacturers-interfere-with-reliable-notifications/

Razer reportedly plans to build a phone for gamers, but needs more money
theverge.com/2017/7/21/16010412/razer-smartphone-gamers-nextbit-ipo-report

Deal: Samsung Galaxy S8 is on sale for as low as $360, here are all the deals
phonearena.com/news/Deal-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-is-on-sale-for-as-low-as-360-here-are-all-the-deals_id96270

“Gold-copper” Nokia 8 version allegedly leaked from production line
phonearena.com/news/Gold-copper-Nokia-8-version-allegedly-leaked-from-production-line_id96256

Pixel is now discontinued at Rogers and Fido
mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/20/pixel-pixel-xl-reach-end-life-status-fido-rogers/

Nokia 6 Review: Once More For Old Time's Sake
youtu.be/Yv9i0GBvD8M

Old

Other urls found in this thread:

sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2
download.lineageos.org/m8
gist.github.com/olivier-m/6200184
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Guys I don't know if this is the right thread.

But I got a Ulefone power 2, but suddenly the quickcharger stopped quickcharging. This phone now takes about 30h to fully charge instead of +/-3h. Does anyone what could be the problem? The charger still works like a fastcharger on other phones..

Considering buying LG G6, how usable will it be 2 - 3 years from now? How often does LG update their phones?

If it doesn't bootloop, it'll probably be usable.

>expecting updates for 2-3 years from any android OEM
lol

My old LG V10 shit the bed so I caved and got the V20.

Was this a mistake? Did I do good?

I've never been more disappointed in my life with windows phone, I really got swooped away with a 4k camera and the quad hd screen but it's abominable ...

Can you guys recommend me a good android phone at 5 inches or more and a decent camera ?

Why does Newpipe drain so much battery and crash sometimes when playing background audio? It's really fucking annoying.

what should i buy for around 360$ or less?

Is the S8 still suffering from touchwiz lag with time? Or that has ended on the S6?
I mean, I had a Galaxy S5 and the only way I could use it was with custom ROM's.

Pixel
iPhone 7/7+
G6
S8/S8+
U11

I'm seriously considering getting a Blackberry KeyONE. Convince me not to pls

Axon 7, Honor 8

Yeah but the Honor 8 is like 70$ less than the Honor 9 where i live
Are the extra 70$ worth it?

Virtual keyboards are, and will always be, fucking awful.

Nothing has changed

sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing

>Of all the current generation high-end phones that I have used (and I’ve used most of them), the Galaxy S8 and S8+ have the worst performance when it comes to scrolling and smoothness of UI. Even though the LG G6 and the Google Pixel have the previous-generation Snapdragon 821 processor, they fare better in this regard. Much cheaper phones from Xiaomi have a smoother UI as well.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2

>Actual in-app performance on the Galaxy S8 is not great. The Google Pixel raised the bar for what smooth Android performance looks like, and the Galaxy S8 just can't keep up. In the above picture you see Android's built-in GPU profiler mode. Each vertical line is the time it takes to draw a single frame, with the horizontal green bar representing 60FPS. Bars under the green line rendered in time, resulting in smooth 60FPS scrolling. Bars that overshoot the line took too long to render, resulting in a stutter in the UI animation.

>Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store. The highly optimized Google Pixel—at its full 2560×1440 resolution—is easily getting frames in on time. And even if things do slow down, there's a sizable amount of render time still.

>No matter what resolution you pick on the Galaxy S8, scrolling (especially scrolling slowly) has this weird stutter to it and a slight ghosting effect. Not everyone is sensitive to small performance issue like this, but if you are, you'll find the S8 a little unpleasant to use. I wish Samsung focused more on optimizing the whole display and GPU stack to hit 60FPS and run more smoothly, rather than adopting the raw benchmark focus the company seems to have now.

is the leeco pro3 worth $210 if I'm going to put lineageOS on it? or should I just get an LG g5

What's wrong with it?

>$210
Where?

Yes

I can also find a p10 for around 370$
Or is it just better to buy a new S7 for that money?

apps are slow and it's buggy

really stressful

well that's why I fucking love the idea of the KeyONE. the keyboard looks so comfy to use.

but seriously though, like the only thing I ever do I my phone is text people. Well also listen to music, browse fb/Sup Forums/whatever and occasionally call someone. It seems to me like this phone would be perfect, but are there any flaws I should consider?

Repostan other user's question because it got me curious.

>Why do you... "people" in this thread obsess over the "high end" phone-processors and mobile-gpus when phones are never going to get any tolerable games that need them and no is ever going to be stupid enough to do their computation or rendering on phones?

Bumpo

Just get Redmi Note 4 Global if you aren't scared of chinkphones.
Honestly I don't get what's scary about them. I bought four in my life and never had any problems.

Before I pirate MX Player again I might as well ask you guys for an alternative.

Is there any video player that remembers that you want your videos to loop?

VLC and even the stock video player can make a video loop if you check a box, but it only works for that one video and only that instance of the app. If you close it and open another video or even the same video again, it doesn't remember that you want it looped.

Why settle for less when you can go for better?

Would you also buy a 1080Ti for your grandma to browse Internet.
In all seriousness do you have any real answer?

Is rooting enough for deleting all unwanted bloatware from my htc one m8? I got only 16gb internal space so I need remove all bloatware. Or do you suggest some custom rom for it, is android 7 that much better than 6?

Better, in some cases, can go for value. Is your entire argument strawmanning others'?

For example sd625 have much better battery life than sd820.

posting again because thread died

Looking for a refurb/new phone for £200-300 which has

>1080p (or higher) screen
>5.5in+ screen
>good GPS tracking
>can have 128gb of storage, either with sd card or by default
>works in UK 4g and on any carrier
>able to use android 7.0
>not a chink phone

And some people value that battery life over other things like power. When people value the battery life less, they can look into other components of the phone that can be improved for good value. While it's true that there's nothing intense enough to truly take advantage of the latest high-end processors, they'll still remain strong until some time from now. If you look around, people often suggest the redmemes because they give good value and relative power for their cost, and people don't often suggest S8s or stuff like that. It's all about what people value, it may be the case that you see a lot of people valuing the "strength" of the phone because they value the other things more.

I went on vacations and my Moto G5 Plus took great pictures and the battery, the GPS and all the rest never once let me down

Good phone

>Better, in some cases, can go for value.
You mean it's better because it costs more? Or because it feels the same but has worse battery life?
Please answer me I'm insanely cuious what do you do that actually requires more power than SD625 of the entry-level smartphone.

I just flashed lineage su and for some reason it isn't working (pic).

Anyone else having the same problem? Did I miss something?

What I mean would be that I would often go for phones which yield better value for my money. I agree that the SD625 is pretty good right now, and the SD82* series can be a little excessive. But some people make purchases with the intent of the phone lasting, it can be argued you can make your phone last longer by buying it stronger. I see people here with Note 4's and OPO's which I assume they have bought on release date, or close to it. People tend to keep their phones until they feel the need to replace it. There's nothing wrong with getting an SD625, and while there's no real reason yet to get something with an SD82*, it's not entirely wrong to do so. It's all within the budget of the person purchasing. Different strokes for different folks, I say.
I, for one, am waiting for a new phone coming out with an SD660. It'll last me a good while, upgrading from my redmeme note 3 pro.

>While it's true that there's nothing intense enough to truly take advantage of the latest high-end processors, they'll still remain strong until some time from now.
But the phones with stronger SoC already have subpar battery life. The battery will further degrade and make them inconvenient to use way earlier than some battery efficient SoC (say SD625) becomes too underpowered for day-to-day tasks. Anyway phones with weaker SoCs are way cheaper so you can affrd to exchange them more often. It's hardly ecnomical to by SD820.

So why would people buy stronger SoC apart from gayyming on a phone (which is retarded)? Please help me I want to understand.

Will phones updated to Android O be compatible with Project Treble or only phones released with Android Or?

You make a good point, and I'm afraid that I can no longer give you any more relevant information. I'm also somewhat of an "economical" buyer, so I don't mind getting the SD6** series. I hope other anons will give you the answers you seek.

Enable it in developer settings.

Get the P10

Don't buy phones on contract. Especially not those phones.

LineageOS, without Gapps

>not a chink phone
KYS

what does Sup Forums recommend if battery life and camera are a priority?

A mistake, since V30 is just around the corner.

Only phones released with Android O, and Google Pixel / Pixel XL, will be compatable with Project Treble

S8+

No retrofit possible for other OEM?

>Project Treble
what is this

Well that's the latest info from Google, maybe it'll change.

Search it on Google for a better explanation, but basically it's about making Android more modular so it's easier for manufacturers to release updates for their phones

What are the benefits of android 7 vs 6?

And I wonder how good is unofficial lineage os:
> *LineageOS 14.1 [Team-M8] [UNOFFICIAL]

>Search it on Google for a better explanation, but basically it's about making Android more modular so it's easier for manufacturers to release updates for their phones

Finally, the worst thing about android is the lack of updates.

Will a redmi note 4 feel like a step down from a galaxy note 4?

Well too bad, I thought the new Nokia would be compatible since they aim to provide fast updates and Qualcomm might not support the SoC for long.

Which one, Sup Forums?

Moto G5 Plus, Moto Z Play or Lenovo P2?

Chinked.

Lenovo P2

G5 plus.

Moto Z Play

There's official one too
download.lineageos.org/m8

Hello,

I am coming from a LG G4 which was the biggest shit I ever owned.
I search for a new phone but I don't really know what to get.
My preferences are a min. 1080p screen, a newer 64bit cpu like the snapdragon 650 or 820/21, 3-4GB Ram, min. 32GB storage, sd slot, a removable battery would be a nice to have and it should not cost a fortune. I may even buy it used. Can you recommend something?

Yeah. Bootloop retard

LG G5 or V20

S8+
Ignore the memes.

My G4 had the bootloop problem twice and now they refuse to repair the burn in issue on the lcd. I will never give money to them again. Is there anything from manufacturers except LG?

Lads whats a good mid-tier phone?

What's the best Windows phone for around 250€?

No, if you want a removable battery

Nokia 6

Which one?

What is better in Note 4? Anyway all good phones feel extremely similar nowadays, we are finally getting to the point of diminishing returns.

It would only be a nice to have. Not really necessary.

still debating this and can't decide
G5 Plus or P10 Lite?

>Nexus 5x just died on me (bootloop'd)
>Have to fall back to my Nexus 5

God I forgot how much I really like this phone. If only the battery wasn't garbage

I need a decent phone for 300 usd, can you lads help me?

Tell me about it.
It's probably the most underappreciated phone of recent years. Loved it.

Why is the caller ID option greyed? Any way to override it? On Lineage 14.1 on falcon.

Redmi Note 4 Global.
Only drawbacks are non-removable battery and no waterproofing.

Your carrier manages that

I have seen tutorials where people opened that settings menu and change it to hide number. Lel and i thought rooting would give me some control.

It just means it's not removable by normies.

Moto G5+

The sim is managed directly by the carrier.

Some lock it to prevent epic private number spammers. Call the customer service and explain to them you need it, I don't guarantee it will be free tho.

Will get used Sony Z1, it runs android 5, any real reasons I should custom rom upgrade it to android 6?

I'm bad with my hands I'm sure I would break something.
Anyway how hard is Redmi Note 4 to open? I've seen some vids for other phone and sometimes you have to get through lots of bullshit.

Lenovo P2 is better everyway and 2000 mAh larger battery.

I had the S7 edge with Android 6 and 7. Never had this TouchWiz lag that everyone talks about.

For most phones it's fairly easy. I have changed battery and screen for my htc one m8 which is ranked one of the hardest ones but it's still fairly easy to do.

Should I?

it's just a chink iphone 7

It's got sick hardware for the price. But the ROM is gay as shit. If you get it unlock the bootloader and install lineage OS

Updates or custom rom?

It's not underappreciated at all you retard.

LG G4 here, 6.0 and still on July 2016 Security update.

Didn't notice. How long are you playing, hours? Constant data uses a fuckton of battery, obviously.

Install 7.0 retard.

Anyone remove gapps from a stock rom? Any issues? I was going to try this: gist.github.com/olivier-m/6200184

Thanks

Nokia 7 when

So, Axon 7 has apparently shit the bed with tons of forum posts about: Alarms not going off at all, notifications being delayed for hours, battery draining rapidly, not charging properly.

Any Axon 7 owners experiencing random issues over the last month?