I have a soldering iron, wires, cutters, know how to do soldering and wiring work. Know resistors and shit...

I have a soldering iron, wires, cutters, know how to do soldering and wiring work. Know resistors and shit, but I have no fucking idea of what shit I could make.

Does anyone have any suggestions on going deeper into electronics then just repairing shit you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/
build this shit

Start making radio equipment. Transmitters, receivers, detectors, etc.

I doubt user has hundreds of $$$ they want to burn on a TB303 clone.
That being said, I've wanted to build one of these for months, planning on buying the kit a couple paychecks from now.

definitely do it if you have the money and knowledge

Don't even know what that is. I know what MIDI is, but that. No idea.

How so, everything I've looked online for "DIY" or how to's ends up being garbage tier stuff.

So don't make garbage. I can understand learning basic principles from DIY sites but if you have the equipment and knowledge, why would you just follow tutorials? You're not making a science fair project here. Be creative.

I have the basic understanding of what they are and what they do.

I have no fucking idea how to make a radio with speakers that could pick up a specific frequency, or a IR receiver that works with a remote. Or a radio device that could lock or unlock a door.

Just because I understand what the components do and how to repair a bad piece of hardware doesn't mean I automatically know how to put the pieces together off the top of my head to get them to do a task...

Try and find a copy of the Art of Electronics. You can get 90% of an EE degree out of that book. You'll come up with some interesting ideas.
If you have no idea what to work on, synthesizers (like for music) are fun.

>90% of a EE degree
>from a book published in 1980

Oh boy, It's Sup Forums gives LISP suggestions all over again.

TRACE, ON.

Join us over at and hit up the Nerf gen.

3rd edition is from 2015 dumbass

You know, I wouldn't mind trying to get a into EE shit, but I can't do calc, so that's out of the question.

desu, you can do stuff without having to get heavy into calc. If you understand what a derivative and an integral is, you don't really need to know how to do them if you have a good calculator or matlab or numpy.

I have one of these with a bunch of mods. It's pretty sweet. Unfortunately this was back before kits, and I was too lazy so had someone build it. Ended up paying like $600, then a year later you could buy them for $300. rip

I still have a bag of rare parts used in the actual 303 I bought, so I should get around to it. Can someone link a good kit?

your own sex doll

Robotics if you're into controls and mechanical shit, effects pedals and various music shit if you're into analog circuits, FPGA shit if you like digital circuits.

Robotics seems interesting, but doesn't everything past mechanical require programming?

Make a DIY mech KB.

Yes, but it's usually not too difficult unless you're undertaking something theory heavy like autonomous robotics and decision making. I would start with something pretty straight forward like a drone or an obstacle avoiding vehicle.

Headphone amplifier and DAC.

Learn then

My grandfather taught himself how to build radios when he was like 15 years old. The government drafted him and instead of being sent to the front line they flew him around setting up radar dishes.

You have the entire internet at your fingertips, use it.

Solid state tesla coil.

haha spoken like a true engineer

If you just want some experience putting stuff together, there are a bunch of cheap kits you can find on eBay or Aliexpress.

You can make a lot of fun blinky things with the WS2812B or APA102 addressable RGB LEDs and a microcontroller.

If you want to learn how an AM radio actually works, the Elenco AM/FM radio kit is great for that and comes with some really comprehensive documentation.

Besides that, just pick an area you want to learn something in (robotics, quadcopters, microcontrollers, blinky LEDs) and try to build a project in that area and you'll learn a lot on the way.

Alright what about energy collection and working with that?

I do actually have an interest in learning and getting involved with things like renewable energy sources. Especially solar. What would I do to get more involved with that.

Look up vellemann kits. It will be a good start.