/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Casual Edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KJrjFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/RZwbM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/CKTcpb
youtube.com/watch?v=VNjkDoYZYjU
canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_558&item_id=105878
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I fixed it
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/KJrjFd

pcpartpicker.com/list/RZwbM8

Looking for a sub 80 dollar case that can support crossfire and atx motherboard. Give me some options please.

What's a video card that can handle anything that could be thrown at the 1080p resolution at 60FPS?

GTX 1060 6GB.

Hardmode amazon prime shipping only.

>Look up record low
>$210
I wish I could find one for that price. I'd pay that price. I'm not paying $300.

The 580

The 580 is even worse(in pricing) memeboi.

I wish I could find an RX 580 for $210. They're like $400-$500.

Some guy is selling a CRYORIG - H7 for $30; should i get it or use stock.
btw im gonna be overclocking

pcpartpicker.com/list/CKTcpb

Waiting on my PSU and RAM, can't wait to show you guys!

I am going to die

>mfw better than anything i've had

nigga what the fuck

user. Open your case. Aim a full-sized fan into the case. The fire department are on their way, user. Just hold on.

But seriously, if you don't fix that all your fancy shit is going to die.

Idk what to do

I just dedust my PC. I have it on the floor under my desk due to space. And my room gets pretty dusty and for some reason my front fan doesn't turn on anymore even though everything is working

I wasn't joking when I said to aim a fucking fan into the case. It'll temporarily aid in cooling. You need to do this immediately.

You better take care of that or say goodbye to your system.

send pic if you do it

someone please answer

I have a 480. I bought it because I was
>wait for Vega
and now I'm wanting to upgrade but have no path on AMD's side to do it.

Fine, fuck 'em. I'm coming back to team green. Question is: do I join now and get a 1080/1080TI or do I wait for next gen?

Play some PUBG (which I'm sure will be a piece of shit for forever regardless of GPU), some other demanding games and a lot of older games. Also have a VR headset.

Whats your budget?

nigga, just get a Cooler Master Hyper 212. Shit's cash.

i heard stock is the same as the Cooler Master

>i heard stock is the same as the Cooler Master
Just 'cause it's cheap doesn't make it shit.

why spend money on almost exact same cooler when i get it free

Hyper 212 is a bit better than the stock cooler but they're fairly close.

The Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard.

lads, wat do

I want to make the switch to Ryzen (specifically 1600x, already have a 212 Evo to cool it), but the problem is that I'm having a hard time judging whether or not switching to the red team would be worth the bother of getting a new mobo and RAM. I'm currently using a 4690k OC'd to 4.5GHz. Its single-threaded performance is tremendous, but I want anons that have already made the switch to tell me if having triple the threads is worth it.

This cooler is $34.99 on Newegg nigga.... New

Also, consider getting a Trident Z or Flare X over the Ripjaws. Uses Samsung B-Die, works much much better with Ryzen.

How is the Zalman ZM-Z9 NEO? It comes in white, and I'm looking at it.

Depends on what you do my dude.
Just gaymen or do you do productivity shit like rendering?

How is the Zalman ZM-Z9 NEO? It comes in white, and I'm looking at it.

he said he has an unopened box of it

1080Ti my dude

youtube.com/watch?v=VNjkDoYZYjU

which is better flare or trident?

I play a lot of games, but I also write music so I render audio pretty often. Also occasional video editing.

Separate line of questioning: does anyone have personal experience with Ryzen and emulation?

is there any discernible difference between Samsung and Intel SSDs? I need a 500gb drive for programs

Kinda. Samsung SSD are higher quality.

Samsung has been the top dog in SSDs forever. Even the RAM they are involved in are better than the rest.

You gotta trust the Koreans on this one. Those slanty-eyed plastic fuckers can sure craft a mighty SSD.

They're very very similiar, you can Google the differences, perhaps with the way they distribute heat. Either way you can't go wrong with either, be sure to get decent timing and MHz, Ryzen likes higher clocks. The Flare is marketed as being 'optimized' for Ryzen, I personally got the Trident but I've seen some info that Flare is hardcoded for Ryzen timings so I'd probably get the Flare

Something that needs to be put in the sticky

>check Craigslist daily for deals
If you live in even a medium-sized city, you can find new, unopened tech all the time for cheap. Lots of people trying to unload stuff for cash and it still has the factory tape on the box. I bought a $600 GTX1080 for 550, a $250 Dell monitor for $110, etc. You can save a lot of cash and find some unexpected upgrades by just browsing the parts/accessories site every evening.

not everyone lives in Ameritard land, fatty

RX 580 or 3GB GTX 1060?

Both are ~330CAD.

yeah sucks for them

>3GB GTX 1060
nigga don't do this to yourself

Don't ever go under 4gb on a gpu.

i'd rather use stock and increase fan speed than spend $24

PRESS F TO PAY RESPECTS

tell you what, just spend the $24 on a fire extinguisher

>580
>330 CAD
What the fuck

If you're in the US, watch eBay. I'm about to drop several GTX1060 3GB's for cheap. These were used for mining, but in a gen 3 data center (raised floor, hot isle / cold isle). Stayed cold, not overclocked, no bios bullshit. Should happen in the next 4 days.

>>>canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_1200_557_558&item_id=105878

YOU

YOU ARE AN AGENT OF THE MINERS

BEGONE

thanks, it was only $45 more to upgrade to 6gb 1060 and it uses less power than a polaris card

I want a fuggin' x370 Taichi for my R7, but it's been out of stock for many many weeks here in sopaland. Should I just get another x370 mobo? Quite limited options, tho.

That is expensive as fuck.

I let fanboyism get in the way and got an RX 460 instead of a 1050Ti. Regret it every day and am now saving for an upgrade

We ASIC now...

> Bought 16x Asus Strix RX480 8GB @ $210 each
> Ran them mining for 8 months
> Sold them used @ $350 each

Sucks to be you I guess...

What would you recommend instead?

Not Asrock

fuck you

What are the best GPU's for mining?

>Order my build monday morning thinking it will be here before the weekend
>they shipped it wednesday afternoon

If you fuck like you shit post, no thanks...

Not ASRock

580 what?

I wish cases would go on sale. Fuck. Parts are piling up.

RX?

Looking to buy a built PC of CL, is this a decent deal?

CASE: NZXT S340 ----------$70
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING, ACX 2.0 -- $240
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 --$130
MOBO: ASRock AB350M ---- $65
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 -- -$220
SSD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB Solid State Drive -- $140
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular -- $70
WIRELESS: TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter $40

He's asking for 700.

GT

Very insightful. I'm delighted, tell me one more time and I'll be convinced.

You should get Biostar instead

ok

They don't even sell this brand here.

reminder that amd is communism

Tridentz actually uses a variety of different manufacturers. It's only the CL14 stuff that uses b-die.

Did Ryzen 3 btfo every i3 model ever? Any reason to get an i3 these days?

Thank you, Ronald Reagan.

Asus and MSI are both fine.
Just don't get ASrock

Thanks for the info! Didn't know that one at all. Good thing I have the CL14

Thank ya kindly for the input. I think I'm leaning towards it but I *want* to wait, y'know?

Just Waitâ„¢

You must have gotten it early on, now that everyone knows about it there's like a $40 premium over other RAM.

There's currently no reason at all to stick with Intel unless you can put a newer CPU in your current motherboard

I wussed out and paid for the G.Skill Flare RAM
Just wanted it to run right the first time

Not a bad choice at all! What clock & CL did you get?

Dunno, it doesn't arrive until Tuesday

Nice, Ryzen 3 it is then.

It's SUPPOSED to run at 3200 with 14 timings

If these were all NIB, yes that'd be a good deal. It's not a giant rip off but you're not getting your money's worth here

Good choice

What is Sup Forums's opinion on Corsiar power supplies? I see there is a $30 difference from the notable EVGA power supplies. (both at 650W gold)

Why that much of a difference? Is that worth another $30?